James Garner

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Don't think he has a thread. Rated highly by McKenna and he's basically the new Carrick.

First pre season start today.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be nice to have a long term midfielder come out of our youth and be a Carrick type. Those are very hard to find, the intelligent players who can also dictate tempo of games but also forward thinking. Far too often those types play passes that are too safe to try and control, lacking any of the penetration. Only 17 so a long way to go of course, excited to see him today though!

IrishRedDevil

Name: James Garner

Date of birth: March 13, 2001

Position: Midfielder

Birthplace: Birkenhead, England

Signed professional United contract: May 23, 2018

Garner only made his U18 debut 14 months ago against Arsenal and was part of the youth team who were crowned Premier League North champions last season.

His impressive performances led to him being handed the captain's armband in the absence of Lee O'Connor and manager Kieran McKenna nominated him for the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year award.

Garner is currently England U17 captain and was part of the side who reached the semi-finals of the European under-17 Championship earlier in the summer.

Vanya

He's a special player. Really hope he makes it at United. His ability to pass the ball is something I've rarely seen in a 17 yr old.

2001? Omg that was literally just the other day :lol:
I'm excited so see how he gets on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was one of the standouts of an excellent U18s team last season, he's a brilliant passer. Hopefully he can do a good job tonight, on paper it's actually a very well balanced midfield. He has a calmness and elegance about his play, I think the Carrick comparison is very apt but he carries the ball quite well too.

Walters_19_MuFc

Very excited to see him play.

15 seconds of watching the video and can already see why he's likened to Carrick. His passing in between the lines seem effortless.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So how did he play? Quite surprising he got a start considering his age.

Park's Petrified Pooch

I thought he looked good. Solid positionally, always showing for the ball, keeping things simple with his passing the majority of the time. I like that he fired his forward passes in with a bit of fizz. Looked a bit like a Carrick light. Wasn’t spectacular or amazing, but a decent 45 minutes.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He made one really nice tackle. Could tell he was a bit nervous but he did fine and was obviously instructed to just keep it simple. Worked the ball around and looked to Andreas to take the responsibility of playing it forward. He isn't ready for first team football yet but it was a good experience for him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He made one really nice tackle. Could tell he was a bit nervous but he did fine and was obviously instructed to just keep it simple. Worked the ball around and looked to Andreas to take the responsibility of playing it forward. He isn't ready for first team football yet but it was a good experience for him.
I thought he looked good. Solid positionally, always showing for the ball, keeping things simple with his passing the majority of the time. I like that he fired his forward passes in with a bit of fizz. Looked a bit like a Carrick light. Wasn’t spectacular or amazing, but a decent 45 minutes.
Sounds like a good outing for him then considering his age. Pleased for him.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He played like a 17 year old making his debut for the first team. I think the fact that I didn't really notice him is a good thing, kept it simple and looked for more experienced players which is very mature of him.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Kept it simple, could have showed a bit more but maybe that´s what Mourinho asked from him.. 17 so will get his chance for sure when mourinho is long out anyway

Pearson

I think he is a bit like Xabi Alonso, other than Micheal Carrick. His passing in between the lines is penetrating, and he is not afraid of physical contact. A real Man United player.

Thiagoal

Thought he was absolute class against Juve yesterday! If anyone is able to upload his highlights it would be good! Looks way better than McTominay did at the same age and probably better than he is now! Class vision, superb passing and is always on the front foot!

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Thought he was absolute class against Juve yesterday! If anyone is able to upload his highlights it would be good! Looks way better than McTominay did at the same age and probably better than he is now! Class vision, superb passing and is always on the front foot!

meamth

He still has a kid's frame. I think he needs more time to fully develop his man's body. Maybe in his 20's

Thiagoal

He still has a kid's frame. I think he needs more time to fully develop his man's body. Maybe in his 20's
To be fair he's only 17 and looks pretty strong to my eye! Too much emphasis on physicality when we need class technical players in midfield! Cesc Fabregas did ok for Arsenal as a skinny 17/18 year old!

meamth

To be fair he's only 17 and looks pretty strong to my eye! Too much emphasis on physicality when we need class technical players in midfield! Cesc Fabregas did ok for Arsenal as a skinny 17/18 year old!
Oh the mullet Cesc :drool:. I think he is strong for that level too, but it is their coach's responsibility to be careful on these things. Too soon and he can get injured severely, i think he has done well.

Great reminder there buddy. Yes, but I don't think the premier league was as intense as today. Skinny Fabregas would struggle if he debuts today.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Making the bench tomorrow. Who needs de Jong or de Ligt when we've got wee Jimmy. Was fantastic against Chelsea on the weekend at CB. Hopefully he'll get a little cameo at the end.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Making the bench tomorrow. Who needs de Jong or de Ligt when we've got wee Jimmy. Was fantastic against Chelsea on the weekend at CB. Hopefully he'll get a little cameo at the end.
From mourinho's comments, he looks more likely to get some time than Greenwood. Probably just to spite Pogba as well! I hope he gets a good 15 mins, would be good to see what he can do at this level.

Bola

There is nothing riding on this game, so I'd like to see both Garner and Greenwood start from the off. United fans have not had much to celebrate and Jose has made football a pain to watch at times, it would be nice if he gave something back and put an early Xmas smile on the faces of the fans.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is he worth getting excited for or is it just another McTominay?
He’s no McTominay. Scott is a lotto winner, Garner is genuinely highly rated. He’s an England captain and has moved up to our u23s team as a regular at 17.

Classical Mechanic

Aloysius's Back 3

Iv heard that this guy can play CB & CDM - it's a role I'm dying to have covered by one player & not two.

How is he at CDM & CB respectively?

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Apparently, he has travelled with the 1st team to Cardiff (along with Gomes)

prateik

Fred and Pereira are struggling to get minutes. I don't see how he will get much game time.

lysglimt

Scout
This a decent report from the Mail's secret scout' to give an idea on the player. It also hints as to why he's likely to play first team football before his teammates in the the talented u19 group we have currently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...t-James-Garner-certainly-emerging-talent.html
It's actually not a bad article, although I consider him a much more cultured player than Nicky Butt whom he is compared to. Nicky Butt was much more drive and determination. But I agree it's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes him special. Gomes has the skills, Greenwood is an insane goalscorer - Garner is...? His biggest strength is probably that he is good at almost everything without really being exceptional at anything.

lysglimt

Scout
Fred and Pereira are struggling to get minutes. I don't see how he will get much game time.
You do know that we have a new manager right ? Mourinho didn't trust either - that doesn't mean Solskjaer wont

prateik

You do know that we have a new manager right ? Mourinho didn't trust either - that doesn't mean Solskjaer wont
What does Ole trusting Fred or Periera have to do with Garner getting minutes?
I'm saying there are plenty of players ahead of Garner.. some who need/deserve more games. A kid from the reserves isnt likely to get a lot of playing time

lysglimt

Scout
What does Ole trusting Fred or Periera have to do with Garner getting minutes?
I'm saying there are plenty of players ahead of Garner.. some who need/deserve more games. A kid from the reserves isnt likely to get a lot of playing time
It has everything to do with it. Mourinho didn't use players he didn't trust, Solskjaer openly admits he will give everyone a chance, and he is probably a lot more inclined to listen to McKenna and Carrick than Mourinho was. Garner being in the squad is on recommendation from them, and he will probably be given a chance as well even if he is not first in line.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Iv heard that this guy can play CB & CDM - it's a role I'm dying to have covered by one player & not two.

How is he at CDM & CB respectively?
He's been excellent in midfield, was one of our best players there last season. He's just recently started playing CB again (which he was doing at U16s I think) and he's been really good there as well, all round he's just a very good player.

the chameleon

Let's hope he's no TC23 or McTominay. Looks a good prospect from highlight reels and MUTV games but I'll not get too carried away. The jump from U19 to the first team is like a chasm. There are so many factors which can decide this point of his career. Wrong loan move (Macheda). Bad tackle from a Kevin Davies (TC23). Attitude & hunger (Wilson & Januzaj). Bad managerial decisions (Tom Thorpe). Bad injury (Will Keane). Not developing further (Rothwell and Pearson). Too good of a first team (Notman, Eagles).

Let's hope Ole gives him a chance and the right decisions are made for him.

With Ole in charge, some of these kids have a good opportunity to audition themselves into the first team.

Classical Mechanic

Let's hope he's no TC23 or McTominay. Looks a good prospect from highlight reels and MUTV games but I'll not get too carried away. The jump from U19 to the first team is like a chasm. There are so many factors which can decide this point of his career. Wrong loan move (Macheda). Bad tackle from a Kevin Davies (TC23). Attitude & hunger (Wilson & Januzaj). Bad managerial decisions (Tom Thorpe). Bad injury (Will Keane). Not developing further (Rothwell and Pearson). Too good of a first team (Notman, Eagles).

Let's hope Ole gives him a chance and the right decisions are made for him.

With Ole in charge, some of these kids have a good opportunity to audition themselves into the first team.
Come on. Tom Thorpe wasn't cut out for high level senior football.