James Garner

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He's very talented but central midfield is tough for a very young player to go straight into.

Fabregas is the only teenager I can remember coming in at premier league level in central midfield and really thriving.

Even Scholes with all his talents played as more of a 10 before playing in central midfield.

Can anyone name any others? I think it's usually early 20s before they're really ready. From a physical and tactical stand point because there's just so much going on in the middle.

Raven

I really like the look of Garner, tall and gangly but still very silky, like an old school footballer, good name too.

Tarrou

He's very talented but central midfield is tough for a very young player to go straight into.

Fabregas is the only teenager I can remember coming in at premier league level in central midfield and really thriving.

Even Scholes with all his talents played as more of a 10 before playing in central midfield.

Can anyone name any others? I think it's usually early 20s before they're really ready. From a physical and tactical stand point because there's just so much going on in the middle.
Scholes didn't even play as a teenager iirc

edit: looked it up, he did make his debut just before turning 20

NoPace

He's the reason why I'm not at all bothered about the "new shiny thing", Declan Rice. In an ideal world Garner would serve as Matic's understudy for a couple of years before taking the reigns. Unfortunately this isn't an ideal world because Matic looks completely shot. What the solution is, I don't know. Regardless, Garner in my opinion should be a squad option next season alongside several other players from our academy.
The reason to pay the big money for Rice would probably be if we think we're going to switch between 4 and 3 at the back, but our fullbacks are better defensively than going forward so I don't really see it.

Of the top 6, I think Rice suits Arsenal best. They generally need athleticism and power at DM and CB and he gives you that and Emery likes to have the option of going 3 at the back with Lacazette and Aubameyang (or maybe Pepe for one) up top. When they're playing 4 at the back I think Rice-Torreira or Rice-Guendouzi look like good fits as partnership. If Arsenal can get a continental side to pay 25M for Xhaka and get Rice for 65M that might well be good business.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Couple of highlight videos of his last 2 seasons. He's definitely got what it takes to make it here for me. Hoping he gets a chance of stepping up this year at times, as even though he's not as far along in his development as the other 3 youngsters, he has got a defined position and it's somewhere we are short.

RedTiger

Half mast
Couple of highlight videos of his last 2 seasons. He's definitely got what it takes to make it here for me. Hoping he gets a chance of stepping up this year at times, as even though he's not as far along in his development as the other 3 youngsters, he has got a defined position and it's somewhere we are short.

The way he makes the passes look effortless

P-Nut

The way he makes the passes look effortless
I love the way he rotates possession to open up angles for forward passes. Definitely a player that has benefitted from the more continental style of coaching in English youth set ups in recent years.

meamth

He needs to fill his body frame this season.

Work hard kid, get those muscles and we can see him graduate.

jeepers

I like him, I really like him and I hope he gets solid minutes in first team games this season. I like how he looks to continue play with some of his tackles, I like how he is always looking to pass forward. His range/weight of passing is quite excellent for a lad his age. Seems to have a decent reading of the game as well. But then again it’s always easy to get excited by our youth players who stand out. I really liked Possebon and look where he is now, although he was also plagued by injuries. Maybe I should like our players less..?

ATXRedDevil

Each time I watch highlights of his I come away more convinced he’s going to be an absolutely top class player. I know it’s youth/reserve football, but passing is passing (acknowledging time in the ball helps), and this kid has impeccable weight of pass, striking technique and range. He looks surprisingly agile for the profile of player he is, too. Can’t wait to see him get some games in the cups this season.

Dan_F

I wouldn’t be against dumping Matic and signing an over 28 year old to help Garner develop. Like above, ideally this would have been Matic, but it seems like he’s really fallen off a cliff right now.
If the coaches really believe in him, then it seems pointless to go all out and spend £70 million on someone who plays there.

Bestietom

Matic is slower than slow, so let's give Garner the chance. Bring him in gradually, until he is ready for every game.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
It's only a matter of time before he's introduced given his form.
Sorry i can't see that....Solskjaer will give first minutes to Fred.

I haven't cried like others because we haven't bought a defensive midfielder and the reason was i thought Solskjaer believes in Garner.....Matic was a fantastic player but his time is over and Garner couldn't play worse.

Okay right now he is injured....topic over for now.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Sorry i can't see that....Solskjaer will give first minutes to Fred.

I haven't cried like others because we haven't bought a defensive midfielder and the reason was i thought Solskjaer believes in Garner.....Matic was a fantastic player but his time is over and Garner couldn't play worse.

Okay right now he is injured....topic over for now.
To Fred? He is very clearly not in Oles plans otherwise he'd be getting rushed back to the first team.

If you look at the club right now and assess the problematic areas of the pitch they are as follows:

- Defensive Midfield
- Lack of Goals (all over the pitch)
- Right Wing

Garner could fix two of those issues. Anyway, he's injured so as you say... topic over.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
To Fred? He is very clearly not in Oles plans otherwise he'd be getting rushed back to the first team.

If you look at the club right now and assess the problematic areas of the pitch they are as follows:

- Defensive Midfield
- Lack of Goals (all over the pitch)
- Right Wing

Garner could fix two of those issues. Anyway, he's injured so as you say... topic over.
Last words but Fred was in the travelling squad for the game.

Hopefully Garner's injury isn't serious.

MrBrightside1989

Would love to see him involved more, glaring to see our midfield are struggling and this is the season to try him out a bit- especially in the europa etc

AneRu

Would love to see him involved more, glaring to see our midfield are struggling and this is the season to try him out a bit- especially in the europa etc
Which makes it all the more baffling that Ole would risk Pogba for ninety minutes and we have Garner who needs minutes sat on the bench. Now Pogba is a doubt for Arsenal in a more important match.

Vissy

Garner on loan next season possibly? I think he could really use consistent minutes in the Championship, but I'm not sure if he's actually PL ready despite being better than the U23s.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Propper ball player, really hope he makes it here.

How is his contract situation?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's got a proper swagger about him that I łove. Almost dismissive the way he knocks the ball about at times.

Asger

Which makes it all the more baffling that Ole would risk Pogba for ninety minutes and we have Garner who needs minutes sat on the bench. Now Pogba is a doubt for Arsenal in a more important match.
Fans would have complained if Pogba would have been subbed of for Garner and we then lose.. But I really hope he will get a chance as soon as possible, maybe against AZ?

Winger11

What do anyone think about his and Levitt's future considering all that rumours about Bellingham? It looks that Garner is further from 1st team right now than he was at the start of the season, and I'm wondering why, given his brilliant perfomances for U23. Bellingham is much younger and given his cost he obviously would be higher in the pecking order. Never saw him playing though so maybe his position isn't an obstacle for Garner' and Levitt's path? I really want to see our guys in the 1st team so a little worried about all this.

P-Nut

What do anyone think about his and Levitt's future considering all that rumours about Bellingham? It looks that Garner is further from 1st team right now than he was at the start of the season, and I'm wondering why, given his brilliant perfomances for U23. Bellingham is much younger and given his cost he obviously would be higher in the pecking order. Never saw him playing though so maybe his position isn't an obstacle for Garner' and Levitt's path? I really want to see our guys in the 1st team so a little worried about all this.
I'd expect Garner to come through sitting a little deeper than where Bellingham would play. As in they'd be a good pair together.

However, Garner doesn't seem anywhere near the first team at the minute as you say, so I can't see him breaking through anytime soon. He could be the late bloomer of the group though and with so many kids currently coming through its probably not the right time anyway.

Baneofthegame

I'd expect Garner to come through sitting a little deeper than where Bellingham would play. As in they'd be a good pair together.

However, Garner doesn't seem anywhere near the first team at the minute as you say, so I can't see him breaking through anytime soon. He could be the late bloomer of the group though and with so many kids currently coming through its probably not the right time anyway.
Personally think he should be sent out on loan to get experience, helped Mount at Derby for instance even though I understand they play different positions.

Bojan Djordjic

I think Garner's physicality and confidence are his biggest handicaps for now at senior level. Unlike some of the other players where you might worry about size (gomes) or game IQ (chong), I think time and experience will sort him out. He's a lovely footballer but he definitely curtails the ambition of his passing at senior level and he's not like McTominay where he can hold his own physically in duels. When he fills out and gets used to playing senior footbally, whether at United or out on loan, I think he'll be a cracking player, even if as a squad player to begin with.

Mark Pawelek

I think Garner's physicality and confidence are his biggest handicaps for now at senior level. Unlike some of the other players where you might worry about size (gomes) or game IQ (chong), I think time and experience will sort him out. He's a lovely footballer but he definitely curtails the ambition of his passing at senior level and he's not like McTominay where he can hold his own physically in duels. When he fills out and gets used to playing senior footbally, whether at United or out on loan, I think he'll be a cracking player, even if as a squad player to begin with.
How is Garner's confidence one of his handicaps? He looks confident to me every time he plays. In fact, it seems a strength of his!

If coaches say Garner, Levitt and Galbraith aren't physically ready they should be sent out on loan next season to prove themselves.

Classical Mechanic

How is Garner's confidence one of his handicaps? He looks confident to me every time he plays. In fact, it seems a strength of his!

If coaches say Garner, Levitt and Galbraith aren't physically ready they should be sent out on loan next season to prove themselves.
I agree with the other poster. He has looked shy when playing for the first team and I think that's why we've seen so little of him this season. He needs more time to grow his confidence to compete at senior level He's a much more talented footballer than Williams but Williams has that fearless mentality to mix it at senior level.

Mark Pawelek

Garner is still 18. How many 18 year old players are playing in the PL? 'Late bloomer' indeed; more like an early bloomer.

People write such nonsense with their platitudes: 'late bloomer', 'lacks confidence', blah, blah.