James Garner

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Watford's current manager Vladimir Ivić worked with Jordi Cruyff for a couple of months at Maccabi Tel Aviv before the latter left to manage in China, so Vlad's got very strong United credentials already.

In seriousness it looks a good move, there looks to be a bit of change in their midfield since they went down so hopefully Garner gets plenty of games.

lysglimt

Scout
Well, if we are after Sarr, this should give us an advantage

AsonUnique

Seems like he had a ton of offers so I am glad he took his time to make a choice and hopefully it works out for him. Kind of funny he will be competing with Cleverly for minutes.

Mickson

Great move for the kid, he'll be playing for a club that want to play football in the right way in the glare of the London media, and close enough to Dylan Levitt(Charlton Athletic)to spend downtime with.
You're such a thoughtful parent!

A bit surprising with Watford. He's definitely going to have to fight for a place in the team. Watford has a good squad. With that said, it will be very interesting to follow him.

Brightonian

Could have the ingredients to be that rarest of things, a successful loan spell. For me, he's the one I'd have kept around. Seems pretty much ready to get proper chances with the first team. But if it had to be a loan, I'm glad it's a strong, PL-quality sort of team like Watford. Any loan spell risks the player not getting many games, regardless of the quality. He might as well be battling for a place in a strong team, not some glorified league one outfit.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
You're such a thoughtful parent!

A bit surprising with Watford. He's definitely going to have to fight for a place in the team. Watford has a good squad. With that said, it will be very interesting to follow him.
I wouldn't wish London on any young lad from the North so anything that makes it more bearable for the both of 'em is common sense.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I actually don't think this is a good move, the way they sack their managers he may be playing under someone else in a few months time who may not fancy him

lysglimt

Scout
I actually don't think this is a good move, the way they sack their managers he may be playing under someone else in a few months time who may not fancy him
Or you could turn it around - if he is isn't given chances by one manager, he simply needs to wait 2 months and he will get a new one :)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Came off the bench yesterday, obviously making an impression early doors.

svn

Starting today. Be interesting to see how he does.

Raven

Hopefully he does well today, has looked a real talent based on most of what I've seen from him.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Saw this on twitter. Anyone saw the match or highlights?

Mickson

From Watford forum:
Garner started slow, grew into the game and wasn’t afraid to get stuck in. Needs to look after the ball better. It’s not U23 football and being casual will cost. Promising though.
-----
Every player was brilliant, as bad a DM as Cleverley is, put him further forward and he defends from the front and makes it all tick. Ngakia.. just wow. Sema.. why did we waste a year by sending him to Udinese? Garner and Chalobah oozed class.
-------
CM looked so much more controlled with Garner in there over Quina. I suspect it’s an issue of game discipline. Quina is a mercurial talent - but he’s either gonna be great or anonymous/poor given his style and age. Chalobah/Garner/Clevs are far more disciplined as players on the evidence so far. Garner looked so confident on the ball, Chalobah showed massive signs he was returning to his best - before the injury annoyingly. And Cleverley was just the standout CM on display and brilliant captain material.
-----
Hopefully Chalobah is only a few weeks. Having Garner seemed to help Chalobah settle on the ball and take more chances breaking play up further forward to influence the game. That is the Chalobah I know is there.
--------
Garner - Looked like he was hiding for the first 20 minutes but was very good after that. Certainly got stuck in as the game went on.
------
Hope Nate isn't too badly injured - Him Garner and Clevs did very well - TDB as well when he came on.
--------------
Midfield looked a bit anemic initially but got into the game around the 20 minute mark. Cleverly was excellent today, and Garner (after a very quiet start) took a fair amount of pressure off Chalobah and let him play. Best display by Chalobah in a long time today, and such a shame he went off injured.
---------------
Garner - 7 - was anonymous and just strolling about for the first 30 minutes, but once he realised he can't get away with being so casual at this level and got going he put a real shift in and showed some of his quality on the ball.
-----------
Garner - 8. Much better today. Very impressive performance given his age. Controls the game. Think when his confidence grows we'll see some more advanced passes.
----------
Garner was excellent in picking passes and winning the ball.

criticalanalysis

More impressed with the right back. Just looked him up, Jeremy Ngakia. Could be interesting to keep an eye on down the line. Another RB to add to the England squad :drool:

Garner:

Playing against a team with a low intensity press, who were giving acres of space in midfield, I thought Garner's touch and passing choices was poor a good half of the time. For all this technical ability I hear, it doesn't seem like he has that natural ability of having a good close touch/being press resistant.

In open space, I can see him being a decent midfield option in a 3 man midfield but he is going to have to grow/improve a lot based on that one performance which I am harshly judging on!

Good set pieces though.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I don’t really get it with Garner I have to say. He can pick out a nice long pass and he has potential but I doubt he’ll break through at a big club. He’s quite passive and lightweight and he’s really going to have to come on a lot to get enough games here to properly develop. If someone with passing and tackling like Pearson didn’t make it here I doubt Garner will either. I’m still looking forward to seeing how he gets on this year. Best of luck to him!

Gordon S

Thought that was a decent performance against Reading. He can have a good career in PL but he has to keep improving and get stronger if it`s gonna be with us. But who knows, our current midfield isn`t that special apart from some very good perfomances here and there from Pogba and Matic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Less than half a dozen starts at senior level and written off by the caf.

Never change.
I’ve just read this last page of this thread and I don’t see anyone writing him off? Maybe some seeing areas that he can or should improve in, but that’s just fairly normal isn’t it?

Drainy

I’ve just read this last page of this thread and I don’t see anyone writing him off? Maybe some seeing areas that he can or should improve in, but that’s just fairly normal isn’t it?
It's an exaggeration of the negativity about a player with 5 games under his belt.

You cannot judge most players with such limited game experience. The comments on this page are pointless because he's playing how most players outside of the top 1 or 2 of their generation do when adapting.

Greenwood had comments about how exaggerated his reputation for finishing was. Rashford had no skill and was basically a Josh King regen. It's even harder for laymen to judge with a defensive midfielder than attackers.

It's always the same though. Young player gains reputation in the academy and isn't as dominant at first team level for obvious reasons and people start posting about the player being over hyped.

It's annoying and frustrating.

Kostov

I don’t really get it with Garner I have to say. He can pick out a nice long pass and he has potential but I doubt he’ll break through at a big club. He’s quite passive and lightweight and he’s really going to have to come on a lot to get enough games here to properly develop. If someone with passing and tackling like Pearson didn’t make it here I doubt Garner will either. I’m still looking forward to seeing how he gets on this year. Best of luck to him!
We have McTominay starting and playing games for the first team, you never know with young players.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's an exaggeration of the negativity about a player with 5 games under his belt.

You cannot judge most players with such limited game experience. The comments on this page are pointless because he's playing how most players outside of the top 1 or 2 of their generation do when adapting.

Greenwood had comments about how exaggerated his reputation for finishing was. Rashford had no skill and was basically a Josh King regen. It's even harder for laymen to judge with a defensive midfielder than attackers.

It's always the same though. Young player gains reputation in the academy and isn't as dominant at first team level for obvious reasons and people start posting about the player being over hyped.

It's annoying and frustrating.
Aargh agreed completely with the bolded bit. Just wasn't sure where you were seeing the posters "writing him off" - but then again, I have been avoiding the FF for a while now - especially after the Spurs result :lol:

Yep, if a player isn't hitting his peak at 17/18/19 these days, they tend to be written off as not good enough which is absurd, but a sign of the times I guess.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Give him time to settle. That isn't a bad highlights video by any means, and his willingness to take the ball is great. But most of his mistakes look like they are caused by nerves and just not being fully up to speed yet.

A few times he took too many touches or held the ball a split second too long, which are mistakes I wouldn't normally associate with him. When he's settled and confident, he'll be playing much better than he is there. But, like I said, that's not even a bad performance. He can and will do better.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
God forbid we give a young lad a chance to play a full season with the club he's on loan at before we start to question if he'll make it here. We should be extremely encouraged he's pretty much forced his way into their first team in such a short period of time. He will have ups and downs as he learns, but I think this Watford loan could be a really good one for him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
There are two types of posts in young player performance threads, it's either "He will never make it at a top club" or "How dare you write him off after X games", both types of comments are as pointless as the other.

He seems to be a decent young player, clearly needs a few years before any questions will be answered but it's a positive start. He needs a bit more confidence when he doesn't have time on the ball but that's what regular playing time in a men's game will give him.

He definitely has potential and it will be exciting to see how he develops, the positives are that he seems to have quite a good range of passing and seems to work hard.

passing-wind

Increase his awareness and his physicality and he could be a decent rotation for the midfield. See him being in the Henderson mould, not exactly gifted in many areas but with enough heart and desire can make a good career for himself.

Bestietom

Huddersfield have a good coach in 37 year old Spaniard, Carlos Corberan who was the assistant to Marcelo Bielsa at Leeds last season. He adopts a very progressive play-style that should benefit Garner.
Hope so, I expect Garner to be here next season.