James Garner

khoazany

Walford is sitting 2nd in the league so getting regular game times for them is certainly beneficial a lot, regardless of performances.

lysglimt

Scout
What was said about Garner:

Observer:
James Garner - 6.5

Offers progress going forward and provided a good delivery for Troost-Ekong's headed goal.

Fans comments:
Garner is going to frustrate at times, but when he’s playing well, he’s lovely to watch. Very smooth. Good corners today, too.

Garner was brilliant also in the middle.

Garner I thought was fairly average in open play, but can take a set piece, which is what we've been waiting for for so long! Fairly happy with him so far, and I'm sure he'll get even better as the season progresses.

But generally the fans were mostly writing about how crap their defenders were - and how lucky they were to win this game

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What was said about Garner:

Observer:
James Garner - 6.5

Offers progress going forward and provided a good delivery for Troost-Ekong's headed goal.

Fans comments:
Garner is going to frustrate at times, but when he’s playing well, he’s lovely to watch. Very smooth. Good corners today, too.

Garner was brilliant also in the middle.

Garner I thought was fairly average in open play, but can take a set piece, which is what we've been waiting for for so long! Fairly happy with him so far, and I'm sure he'll get even better as the season progresses.

But generally the fans were mostly writing about how crap their defenders were - and how lucky they were to win this game
Thanks for this. As long as he's getting minutes for a side like that, I'm happy. Great learning curve.

SinNombre

The hope is that Garner continues to get starts with them and they get promoted and we send him on loan again with them. Bit like Jonny Evans and Dean Henderson.

lysglimt

Scout
Watching Bristol - Watford - fairly dull match so far (15 mins). Garner been decent - several good set-pieces

lysglimt

Scout
Really trying to understand how Bristol City can be 3rd on the table - Watford have not been good, but Bristol City have been awful

lysglimt

Scout
That was 45 minutes of my life I will never get back :) Horrible match - simply awful. No shots on target, hardly any goal attempts. Garner has been decent - and had several good freekicks his teammates have failed to take advantage of. But a bit too anonymous for me to give him more than OK +

Mickson

Watching Bristol - Watford - fairly dull match so far (15 mins). Garner been decent - several good set-pieces
And several bad ones! Yeah, Bristol City doesn't seem to have much ambition. Watford keeping the ball but not creating much. Decent from Garner so far.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Nice! Thanks for updates. Watford seems like a good fit. Gets to play in a good side, at a decent level next to a few good players.

How does he cope physically? He is what? 6 feet? Probably needs to gain some muscle.

lysglimt

Scout
Watfords problem is that their attacking players have been really poor in this game. Sarr has been poor, Pedro average and Gray was awful before he was subbed for Deeney. Only Quina has been good.

lysglimt

Scout
Nice! Thanks for updates. Watford seems like a good fit. Gets to play in a good side, at a decent level next to a few good players.

How does he cope physically? He is what? 6 feet? Probably needs to gain some muscle.
He is doing ok - tackles hard, but he is on the pitch to make the smart passes - which is useless when none of their attacking players can do anything with the ball in this game

lysglimt

Scout
Thank God - that was one of the worst games ever. 0-0. 1 shot on target. Garner was ok - no better or worse than most others on the pitch. Some nice passes, some good free-kicks, but some poor corners

Ekeke

4 tackles and 1 interception in tonight's game apparently, 1 tackle and 3 interceptions in the previous game where whoscored had him as motm. Good to see him get stuck in and be more than just a ball playing midfielder

lysglimt

Scout
What position is he playing? more of a 6?
Yesterday it looked like 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1

Garner and Chalouba both played fairly central. It looked like a system where they looked like they were told to not move forward much, Chalouba should win the balls and Garner should spray them around. And then they hoped for Quina to the left of midfield, and Pedro, Gray and Sarr up front would do the damage. But Gray was awful and the other 2 were poor.

Watford Observer wrote:

James Garner - 6

Some tidy passing from the midfielder, but needed to be more direct at times.

Ngakia and Fermenia got the highest rating with 6.5. Garner got the highest rating of the midfielders/strikers

Alloutfootball pretty much agreed with Watford Observer;

James Garner – 7/10

The leading light in terms of attitude and being pro-active on the pitch. Garner was a rare positive on a night of select few, showing bravery to get on the ball in difficult areas and playing incisive passes which led to Watford’s better moments in the first half. He was tenacious with this pressing and used the ball wisely. His set pieces felt key in a game of limited opportunities but despite a couple of wicked balls in he was lacking when it came to any consistency.

STYLOISRED

If the only thing he gains from this loan is defensive discipline and experience in playing as an anchorman then the loan would hsve been a huge success IMO.

lysglimt

Scout
If the only thing he gains from this loan is defensive discipline and experience in playing as an anchorman then the loan would hsve been a huge success IMO.
I never thought I would say this but it should improve with Troy Deeney on the pitch. He will be a much bigger threat on Garners set-pieces than Gray

eltigreFalcao

Just saw the Extended Highlights reel from Warford's YouToube channel.

From what I saw there, Garner looked influential in the earlier stages but pretty much disappeared into the latter. Played as a double pivot and showed he has some good passing range and also some decent set pieces skills, althouth previous posters mentioned a few bad set pieces as well. Thing to improve should be his defensive game, saw him in strange positions tracking back and with little agresion.

Btw is so delightful to watch Watford's youtube reels, commentary are solid, insighful and is good to keep an eye on Garner, he looks to be getting a decent amount of minutes and that's very good news anyways. Not that the matches are entertaining themselves, though.

lysglimt

Scout
Just saw the Extended Highlights reel from Warford's YouToube channel.

From what I saw there, Garner looked influential in the earlier stages but pretty much disappeared into the latter. Played as a double pivot and showed he has some good passing range and also some decent set pieces skills, althouth previous posters mentioned a few bad set pieces as well. Thing to improve should be his defensive game, saw him in strange positions tracking back and with little agresion.

Btw is so delightful to watch Watford's youtube reels, commentary are solid, insighful and is good to keep an eye on Garner, he looks to be getting a decent amount of minutes and that's very good news anyways. Not that the matches are entertaining themselves, though.
His freekicks were generally good - but since Bristol City won every aeral duel - it didnt matter much. His corners were poor

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We're playing Watford in the FA Cup, will he be eligible to play?

Santos J

We're playing Watford in the FA Cup, will he be eligible to play?
Unless we've put a clause in to say he's not then yes, not like in the Prem where he wouldn't be allowed regardless. Probably do have the clause in to say he can't though I would've thought.

dutchred

Played the whole game today and Watford won. DId anyone see the game?

lysglimt

Scout
Latest Garner-update from the Brentford-game. A very strange game where neither side managed to create any chances but both were awarded a penalty.

Mixed - some thought he was poor, some thought he was impressive. I would say he was neither, but it's hard to impress on this Watford-side. They are solid defensively - but Deeney, Sema and Sarr really are toothless upfront. When you watch Watford play - you just keep thinking, where are the goals gonna come from ?

Garner 7 (from Herts live)

Played in an attacking midfield role and linked up play quite nicely at times with some impressive flicks and turns. Brought lots of energy and drive.

James Garner - 5.5 (Watford Observer)

Offered nothing memorable in terms of creativity and fluffed his lines with a really good chance in the second half.

James Garner – 4/10 (allout football)

A lot to like about Garner’s tireless work rate and appetite to keep trying when things aren’t coming off but things aren’t coming off full stop lately. The quality in possession just is loose and there’s no real progression for the team in his passing. This lack of care really contributed to a stifled team display as the club continue to suffer in midfield which needs addressing.

Mickson

Yeah, he played as some kind of no10. However, Watford doesn't seem to have any style of play. Garner and Deeney just chased shadows in the first half. A little bit better in the second half, but Garner wasn't really involved in the game. Maybe he should've done better, but it wasn't like he misplaced easy passes and missed an open goal - he just wasn't involved. So it's really hard to judge him.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
You got a youth player who played as a DM or a box to box and never took a free kick in his life.

I know, let’s play him as a 10 and give him every set piece duty. :lol:

Their whole set up is shit just by looking at it. They’re basically playing 3 defensive mids. At this point I don’t actually care how Garner does as their side is just ridiculous. As long as he keeps playing and getting experience is good enough for me.

RUCK4444

Hopefully he comes good but I never really saw what many did with this lad.

I hope we don’t muck about in the summer and get a proper top level DM, it’s vitally important for our progression imo.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Hopefully he comes good but I never really saw what many did with this lad.

I hope we don’t muck about in the summer and get a proper top level DM, it’s vitally important for our progression imo.
Me neither tbh, the same with some other players like J. Wilson. Good looking player in highlights but he seems to lack any kind of energy and top mentality in his game to show what he can do consistently, but I guess building up stamina and really imposíing on a game being more agressive can come in time.

Think he will become a very good young player for EPL but we shouldn´t be fecking round in the transfer market or even give chances to the "less talented" Galbraith, Puigmal who seem to be more proactive players.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You got a youth player who played as a DM or a box to box and never took a free kick in his life.

I know, let’s play him as a 10 and give him every set piece duty. :lol:

Their whole set up is shit just by looking at it. They’re basically playing 3 defensive mids. At this point I don’t actually care how Garner does as their side is just ridiculous. As long as he keeps playing and getting experience is good enough for me.
Agreed here, he already has 11 starts this season, at 19, at a team 3rd in the league. If he gets a full season at a team challenging for promotion, regardless of style, this loan will be a huge success.

city-puma

From what I saw in those highlights, he needs to start physical buildup of his body, but he is only 19. It probably needs two years. But this loan experience will do him all world of goodness to know how to deal with the real physical part of games in the championship. All point to a promising future!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You'd think Cleverley would play AM before Garner really wouldn't you. Very odd set up.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Garner has played at AM in the reserves before so not too surprised he's being pushed up there.

He's smart with the ball and has a good pass on him, so if Watford are struggling offensively you can see why they'd want his passing closer to goal.

Hopefully their forwards pick up and he can drop back into the double pivot as that's the only place he's got a chance of coming through here.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He played in a more advanced role for the U23s last season, and was absolutely excellent. He wasn't playing at number 10 and I'm a bit baffled as to why Watford decided to stick him there. I don't get when people say they "didn't really see it" with Garner, he wasn't exactly masterfully hiding his talent, he's been consistently one of the best players in every team he's played in since U18 level, even when he's not played in DM and played as an 8 or even at CB. He was our POTY before Greenwood absolutely tore the U18s apart in the second half of the season and pipped him to it. Unless people just don't know what they're looking for in a DM I really don't understand how they're missing his talent.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Watford are so defensively minded that literally all attacking output is restricted to the wings and lumping it to the lone striker. Minutes is what's most important for Garner really and its good he's being trusted ahead of other important young players at Watford older than him who are still rated very highly (Quina), so I wouldn't read negatively into his time there so far certainly.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
As long as he gets playing time it's good.

He's 19 and playing for a team 3rd in the league. The manager clearly rates him since he's willing to play him over many other options despite Garner being on loan only.

dutchred

As long as he gets playing time it's good.

He's 19 and playing for a team 3rd in the league. The manager clearly rates him since he's willing to play him over many other options despite Garner being on loan only.
It"s great for him to get time. At the end we will kniow if he will make it here as we all hope or he if he is just agoo player ith a career in a lower team or league ( like Drinkwater)

KevinJoh

He is not playing as No10 all the time, just this last game. But, agree, Watford is just terrible, you can't watch them, no playing style at all, weird setup. They have good players so probably on individual quality they are in promotion battle. Still, for Garner it is great to get minutes and he is certainly not bad as they suggest. Yes, he is taking set pieces, probably cause he is the best in the training ground with it, not cause someone saw him doing that in U18/U23 ffs

lysglimt

Scout
Garner has actually done reasonably well - but he has really struggled under at a team that are practically uncapable of creating any chances.

Sarr, Sema, Deeney etc have been underwhelming - they should be the strongest attack in this league - they are not even close. I have seen Watford 5-6 times this season only because of Garner - and it's the same thing over and over again. He has put in so many good freekicks that no Watford-player can get a head to, and when he looks for a pass, there is no movement.

Garner hasn't been great - but he has generally been ok - which is better than several of his teammates.