James Garner

Smores

If he’s going out on loan again next season then it has to be to a Premier League club, Brighton would be ideal with the way Potter has them playing.
It would be ideal for his development but then he might fall into the trap of being harshly critiqued due to being in a poor overall team. It's hard to make yourself look ready for a top club in those circumstances.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brighton sound good in terms of style and a manager who isn’t so risk averse. But how frequently would he actually start? Bissouma is the only mainstay - the likes of Lallana, Gross, Alzate, and March all seem to be in and out of the squad as the other central midfielder.

Not sure about Norwich, they’re a side who are clearly too good for the Championship but not sure they have enough to stay in the league again.

Rangers is very interesting. The quality is obviously much lower, but constantly playing against sides who defend deeper and getting some European football have their benefits

Another championship loan wouldn’t hurt, so long as it’s at a side who are genuinely pushing for promotion.

In all - it’s a really good position for the club and Garner to be in. There’s so many options available and the club and Garner have time to make the right decision.

romufc

He needs another season on loan, as a CM, look at the best CM's around, most of them are ones with experience. There is no point him being here and getting 10 games a season tops, he is not going to learn anything.

He is better of going to a PL club next season and playing 30 games. Brighton would be the best place as they play good football and its not always about sit back all game.

ShinjiNinja26

It would be ideal for his development but then he might fall into the trap of being harshly critiqued due to being in a poor overall team. It's hard to make yourself look ready for a top club in those circumstances.
The thing is if his next loan is to a PL club then it’s always going to be to one of the smaller clubs lower down the table as they’re the ones usually in most need of players and will most likely give him decent game time. Clubs higher up the table have no interest in developing another clubs players for them unless there’s an option to sign them permanently at the end of it, take Lingard at West Ham for example. That being said is why I think Brighton would be a good shout as the play some nice football that’s far more relatable to United than if he were to go to a let’s say Burnley where it’s more route one style.

Lastwolf

Rangers might be a decent shout if he gets played alot, to be at least in a title race and knowing what that takes, also could be some CL games.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Rangers might be a decent shout if he gets played alot, to be at least in a title race and knowing what that takes, also could be some CL games.
I’d take the PL with Norwich or Brighton any day over Rangers. He’d learn far more

Adcuth

younger carrick used to be more mobile and got forward more also, but obviously as he got older and slowed down became more of a sitter - garner will probably be like that too although have the shooting threat from the edge of the box.

He reminds me the most of Kroos in style, if he can be even half the player he is we’ve got a player.
Will always remember his goal against QPR, 2011 I think it was

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Norwich would be a great shout if they're willing to play him. He'd certainly have plenty of defending to do as they all abdicate their midfield duties again! Pinging passes to their forwards and full backs would also be good experience and play to his strengths as well.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Agreed. Championship is just as, if not more physical.
For some positions yes. For a deeper lying midfielder, not so much.

Ball turnovers are more frequent. Full backs and box to box midfielders put in huge shifts. Forwards in the league even more so. But where he sits won’t be as physically demanding as most positions.

That being said, a full season as a first team player in the championship must be murderous. So many games.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Same here, Rangers would just be the equivalent of another year in the Championship.
He would get some European experience is the only major plus. Brighton under Potter would be outstanding but only if hes getting the game time

Last edited:

arthurka

This guy needs game time everybody sees that, If we cant guarantee him that he should be loaned out again.
He should get all the minutes Matic gets. But I would loan him out to play every game possible.

GMoore23

Don't want him anywhere near Slippy G. You guys really trust him to develop a future United star. :houllier:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The benefit with Rangers would be that he'd be playing against low blocks and in a side that would dominate possession most weeks, something he'll have to get used to if he's going to make it here

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Don't want him anywhere near Slippy G. You guys really trust him to develop a future United star. :houllier:
What would he do in such piss poor league? Rangers would be playing bottom championship with the competition being way more woeful..

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What would he do in such piss poor league? Rangers would be playing bottom championship with the competition being way more woeful..
He'd get some very good European competition exposure, whilst also challenging for a league. It would be a terrific learning opportunity.

Marwood

If he's not coming back to us then just staying at Forest is surely the best option. Why uproot him again when he's got a good thing going there.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He'd get some very good European competition exposure, whilst also challenging for a league. It would be a terrific learning opportunity.
Championship is level above SPL, more games played too, with also more technical teams involved these days, In Scotland it's not really football, it's a fight, he could get more inured too, just because it is second best league in England doesn't mean it's not full of great fixtures. Close to some First leagues around Europe imo. In Scotland he wuld play against Celtic which are woeful themselves these days. It's a clear downgrade, with European football experience overstated.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Already too good for SPL

mat85

James Garner: He’s just a class above, isn’t he? Ran the midfield and pulled some delightful passes out the bag. Played a key part in the best move of the game for Mighten’s chance. Rating: 8/10

Taken from the Nottingham post

Jordicruyfffanclub

I would be very disappointed if Garner went to Rangers. Dreadful standard up there.
Honestly think he needs a PL loan. Leeds anyone? Play some decent football.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We shouldn't want him anywhere near Rangers, he's a born Liverpool fan and Gerrard was his idol growing up, last thing we want is him filling his head with Scouse nonsense!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Looks more and more like he did in the youth sides the more settled he gets and the more his confidence grows.

I think if he's back here for preseason he'll be in the squad next year, he's just a completely different option to what we've already got in the centre of the park.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know he is still very young but is he showing that he is almost too good for the championship by any chance?

Tarrou

Gerrard was a great midfielder I wouldn't mind him having a season under his guidance - you can say what you like about Stevie but he's nothing if not a complete professional

Saying that, it's really working at Forest wouldn't be against him staying there for the game time

GueRed

he's got all the technical qualities to be a top midfielder, most know this.

we just want him to keep on developing...improving.

because atm he's still potential.

romufc

The loan spell is really working out for him, good on the club to get him out of Watford and in where he plays week in week out.

He is showing that he is one of the best players in the championship, this is exactly what you want to see.

The one thing is that he can pass a football which will bode well in our midfield.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Looks fantastic, he didnt show any of this in his few appearances for the 1st team. Still hopeful he has the level to play for Manchester United.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
he's got all the technical qualities to be a top midfielder, most know this.

we just want him to keep on developing...improving.

because atm he's still potential.
For sure, he's always had bags of talent. My only concern, like with many young, talented players, was how he'd adapt to the men's game but he seems to be handling the Championship physicality fine. A loan to a lower half PL club next season could be a good next step for him.

Inigo Montoya

I know he is still very young but is he showing that he is almost too good for the championship by any chance?
He’s not showing that he’s too good but rather able to compete in a highly physical league and earning the right to show that he’s an immediate starter. Also he’s demonstrating that he’s learning to take responsibility in a variety of roles. Credit has to go to Hughton for putting he faith in him whereas at Watford they didn’t

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm not sure I've been as excited about a Man Utd kid on loan since I was reading about Beckham at Preston in Shoot and Match magazine! :lol:

Despite the physicality of the Championship Garner is able to show his quality. Very good signs for the future.

Inigo Montoya

I'm not sure I've been as excited about a Man Utd kid on loan since I was reading about Beckham at Preston in Shoot and Match magazine! :lol:

Despite the physicality of the Championship Garner is able to show his quality. Very good signs for the future.
:lol:
I remember that well. He was sent there to show his professionalism and apparently the Preston coaches were very impressed; always on time, trained hard and had a great attitude. Plus he scored a couple of bangers

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's showing his reserve team performances at Championship level now, a great sign. Shame the season is nearly over as he's in good form.

Difficult to know whether to give him another year at this level or try to step him up again, but there's a risk in the PL he won't play regularly.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's showing his reserve team performances at Championship level now, a great sign. Shame the season is nearly over as he's in good form.

Difficult to know whether to give him another year at this level or try to step him up again, but there's a risk in the PL he won't play regularly.
This is why I'd send him back to Forest again, he's at a club and with a manager where we know he'll get games and at this stage that's more important than just sending him to the highest placed club who wants him