James Garner

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Apparently given the ball away to go 1-0 down and put Derby in an awful position.

I suppose he did say that his idol was Gerrard growing up!
He’s put Derby in an awful position while playing for Nottingham Forest? That’s some skill

Swedish_Plumber

I really like his defensive contributions in the video above. He has a lot going for him but he can be a key tool in turning defence into attack if he brings that back with him into the first team.

KW2006

He is ready to be our 2nd choice holding midfielder.

But the problem is we don't have a 1st choice yet.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There’s a lot to like in his game, but I still want to see how press-resistant he is. Can he keep the ball moving under pressure, rather than just when striding into open space. From what I’ve seen in his championship appearances, it is typically a case of turning around and passing to a defender when an opponent comes near him. Left unchallenged, he has a great pass on him.

In theory, him and Mejbri would make a very good double pivot.

Sea-Cow

There’s a lot to like in his game, but I still want to see how press-resistant he is. Can he keep the ball moving under pressure, rather than just when striding into open space. From what I’ve seen in his championship appearances, it is typically a case of turning around and passing to a defender when an opponent comes near him. Left unchallenged, he has a great pass on him.

In theory, him and Mejbri would make a very good double pivot.
How does he do on the defensive side of things? Is he Carrick-like in his positioning and helping out teammates, or is he able to tear around and win tackles and physical duels etc?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Matic is linked to Mourinho's Roma.

This is Matic's games time this season. Not a lot but also not little amount. I haven't watch him in Nottingham Forest but what are people thought about giving him chance next season? Would you let him taking those Matic's minutes?
EL: 3 (3)
PL: 10 (6)
UCL: 3 (1)
Cup: 2
FA: 2 (1)

Big risk if we want to challenge the league to be honest.

RUCK4444

This is Matic's games time this season. Not a lot but also not little amount. I haven't watch him in Nottingham Forest but what are people thought about giving him chance next season? Would you let him taking those Matic's minutes?

Big risk if we expect him to play regular but him replacing Matic is not a major concern.

We still need a top level DM regardless imo.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Big risk if we expect him to play regular but him replacing Matic is not a major concern.

We still need a top level DM regardless imo.
Of course it's major concern. If we sign a new midfielder means he won't get enough minutes or will get even less minutes than what Matic had this season. He might should just go on loan if new midfielder comes in.

Matic clearly adds experience, and I’m surprised that he’s not made more sub appearances - as I think of him coming on in the last 10 mins to shore up the team.

I think moving on Matic is a good idea, whether Garner can take his game time I don’t know. Could depend on whether Pogba stays.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

He couldn't play any worse than Matic.

RUCK4444

Of course it's major concern. If we sign a new midfielder means he won't get enough minutes or will get even less minutes than what Matic had this season. He might should just go on loan if new midfielder comes in.
Depends how much stock you hold in Garner becoming a top level player for us and how many minutes he needs versus the benefit of being around the first team.

Matic is done. He needs to go regardless, if the coaches decide the amount of minutes Matic received this season is enough for Garner then crack on. If not then put him back on loan, but we would then need two DM’s in the summer. One to replace Matic and a second becuase we are still desperate for one right now.

Selling players can be as hard as buying them, if we have a buyer at a decent price then let Matic go. He’s been terrible for a good while.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Matic clearly adds experience, and I’m surprised that he’s not made more sub appearances - as I think of him coming on in the last 10 mins to shore up the team.

I think moving on Matic is a good idea, whether Garner can take his game time I don’t know. Could depend on whether Pogba stays.
Depends how much stock you hold in Garner becoming a top level player for us.

Matic is done. He needs to go regardless, if the coaches decide the amount of minutes Matic received this season is enough for Garner them crack on. If not then put him back on loan, but we would then need two DM’s in the summer. One to replace Matic and a second becuase we are still desperate for one right now.
I agree Matic is done which is why I want to see whether Garner can take Matic's minutes. To me those (Matic's this season) are fair amount of minutes we can give to James Garner next season, anything much less means we should forget about giving him chances next season and he should go on loan. If we sign a new one then it's very obvious he won't get those Matic's minutes meaning he would be wasting his time.

I agree Matic is done which is why I want to see whether Garner can take Matic's minutes. To me those (Matic's this season) are fair amount of minutes we can give to James Garner next season, anything much less means we should forget about giving him chances next season and he should go on loan. If we sign a new one then it's very obvious he won't get those Matic's minutes meaning he would be wasting his time.
fair analysis. Unless we sell Pogba I don’t think we will sign a midfielder.

the other issue is DVDB - he’s bound to play more next season, and is more likely to take those Matic minutes? I know they don’t play in exactly the same position.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
fair analysis. Unless we sell Pogba I don’t think we will sign a midfielder.

the other issue is DVDB - he’s bound to play more next season, and is more likely to take those Matic minutes? I know they don’t play in exactly the same position.
I doubt he'd impact Matics minutes as OGS doesn't seem to trust him as part of the 2 which is almost always where Matic plays. I do expect DvB to play more next season but more as a rotation option for Bruno. If we can improve the team around him and not rely on him as much, it would mean we can rest him every now and then.

jeepers

Have any posters watched full games of Garner at Forest?

These highlight clips are nice and all, but they are highlight clips and most, if not all, are under 2 minutes. Surely one can find more than 2 minutes worth of content in a 90 minute match? Not slamming the maker of the clips, he is very very much appreciated by me for making these reserve and loanee videos.

That said, Garner is looking very settled and comfortable in this Forest side. Looking Carrick-esque, however not with the same amount of elegance. I would like him to feature heavily in the early pre-season games to see how he plays as a United midfielder, before Ole and his team decide if he should then go out on loan again.

I, too, feel that Matic is done. And that we need to get in another holding midfielder. I cannot stand McFred, as much as I appreciate their enthusiasm and effort. However I’m not sure if there’s a player out there who can play as a lone holding midfielder who also has a good, expansive passing range be it over the top or between the lines.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Have any posters watched full games of Garner at Forest?

These highlight clips are nice and all, but they are highlight clips and most, if not all, are under 2 minutes. Surely one can find more than 2 minutes worth of content in a 90 minute match? Not slamming the maker of the clips, he is very very much appreciated by me for making these reserve and loanee videos.

That said, Garner is looking very settled and comfortable in this Forest side. Looking Carrick-esque, however not with the same amount of elegance. I would like him to feature heavily in the early pre-season games to see how he plays as a United midfielder, before Ole and his team decide if he should then go out on loan again.

I, too, feel that Matic is done. And that we need to get in another holding midfielder. I cannot stand McFred, as much as I appreciate their enthusiasm and effort. However I’m not sure if there’s a player out there who can play as a lone holding midfielder who also has a good, expansive passing range be it over the top or between the lines.
I've watched a few forest games and I'd say he's been exactly what you'd hope for if you'd watched him in the youth sides. He's playing as part of a 2 and is usually the deepest who dictates the game and uses his long passing range to get attacks up the field quickly. He has a license to join attacks as can be seen from his goal return and due to playing further forward in the youth teams he's decent around the box and has got a good strike on him.

The biggest positive for me has been the defensive aspect of his game, he doesn't look out of place at all and more than holds his own.

He won't be anywhere near ready to be our sole DM and have a lot of people's dreams of playing Pogba and Fernandes next to each other, but he might be able to replace Fred or McTominay in some games and add some control and better forward passing of the ball.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Needs another loan

As someone said he strikes me as a player who can pick out great passes when given time and space but has to develop that press resistance and ability to cope with high pressure/low space and time situations which will always be there at a club like United. For me we shouldn't be considering throwing him back in. Let him prove himself on loan.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Needs another loan

As someone said he strikes me as a player who can pick out great passes when given time and space but has to develop that press resistance and ability to cope with high pressure/low space and time situations which will always be there at a club like United. For me we shouldn't be considering throwing him back in. Let him prove himself on loan.
A premier league loan to a club where he could play like Brighton or Newcastle would be nice. He's certainly not going to learn playing against ball pressure at another championship club.

mancsarered

Loan him to a prem club next season and let him get loads of experience at the top level. 22/23, he'll be 22 years old and ready for the first team.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Loan him to a prem club next season and let him get loads of experience at the top level.
Would be nice. However, I’m not sure that it is important for him to play at the highest level possible. The Championship has become very good, and plenty of good players have come from the Championship the last few years. I hope he stays at Forest for another six months or so. Playing regular being the star of the team will do him good.

khoazany

Loaning youngsters to another PL club in recent years has rarely work out well (not just from us but other clubs too) so I don't get the fetish of doing it.

Number32

Loaning youngsters to another PL club in recent years has rarely work out well (not just from us but other clubs too) so I don't get the fetish of doing it.
Absolutely this. Chelsea did a great job for keeping Mason Mount in 2019 even when the media grilled him after that 0-4 lost at Old Trafford.

Garner needs to blend with our 1st team like Rashford, McT, and Greenwood did in the past. He doesn't need another 40+ games in the Championship or PL.

JawZ

Absolutely this. Chelsea did a great job for keeping Mason Mount in 2019 even when the media grilled him after that 0-4 lost at Old Trafford.

Garner needs to blend with our 1st team like Rashford, McT, and Greenwood did in the past. He doesn't need another 40+ games in the Championship or PL.
Mason Mount was the player I immediately thought of. Staying at Forest would be nice, but I think it would be better if he were to move to a challenging Championship team with the same amount of game time given to him if possible.

Bwuk

He’s ready to be part of the squad.

He might not be a better option than McTominay or Fred yet, but hes more talented on the ball than either.

RUCK4444

He’s ready to be part of the squad.

He might not be a better option than McTominay or Fred yet, but hes more talented on the ball than either.
I’ve not seen him on loan other than highlights but if that’s the case is it worth bringing him back?

Perhaps a PL loan this time? We can always call him back if we get injuries.

Bwuk

I’ve not seen him on loan other than highlights but if that’s the case is it worth bringing him back?

Perhaps a PL loan this time? We can always call him back if we get injuries.
You’ve got to give him a chance at this level to show what he can do.

Different players but Mason Mount after a good loan in the Championship was ready and just needed game time. People doubted him a bit at the start but he’s brilliant now and walks into most sides in the league.

Im not saying Garner will do the same. But he deserves a chance. It’s not like McFred is insurmountable competition for him. If anything, his style of play would compliment both.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Henderson? Lingard?

Mason Mount was the player I immediately thought of. Staying at Forest would be nice, but I think it would be better if he were to move to a challenging Championship team with the same amount of game time given to him if possible.
where the the two in comparison to their development? Wasn’t Mount a standout player at Derby - although I’d not watched him. Just looked up his stats, and 11 goals and 6 assists for a team getting to the playoffs.

I’ve not watched Garner either, bar the off highlight, but surely he’s not near that level.