Film James Gunn's DC Universe

nimic

something nice
Scout
Why didn't they make this film instead? Sounds way cooler. Maybe a bit too close to home, though.

An alternate version of Jaime appears in Justice Society of America vol. 3 #37-38 as part of the "Fatherland" storyline. Set twenty years in the future, Jaime has lost his powers after Captain Nazi and his fellow white supremacist villains activate their Great Darkness Engine, a device which neutralizes most of the world's metahumans and allows a Neo-Nazi regime known as the Fourth Reich to take over America.

Hamnat

Was just reading about the third round of Aquaman reshoots that just ended before the strike. It was greenlit at 205 million budget before 3 rounds of reshoots and years of delays. It better be good but with this latest track record.....

reelworld

btw, I did watch Blue Beetle last week. The theatre was less than half empty, and judging from the box office numbers it's like that everywhere.
Don't think it's gonna even breakeven, which is a shame, because I actually like it enough. Got the humor spot on , the cast is highly likeable , and good enough action sets.
However, even though it's execution is good (all the stuff with the family and Latino culture I found it very interesting), it's not distinct enough in terms of story to make it stand out. Also I think Flash box office numbers hurts this movie alot. It would take a highly recognizable character like Superman to fully restart DCU. A niche D level character like Blue Beetle would have a very hard time doing this

Sylar

btw, I did watch Blue Beetle last week. The theatre was less than half empty, and judging from the box office numbers it's like that everywhere.
Don't think it's gonna even breakeven, which is a shame, because I actually like it enough. Got the humor spot on , the cast is highly likeable , and good enough action sets.
However, even though it's execution is good (all the stuff with the family and Latino culture I found it very interesting), it's not distinct enough in terms of story to make it stand out. Also I think Flash box office numbers hurts this movie alot. It would take a highly recognizable character like Superman to fully restart DCU. A niche D level character like Blue Beetle would have a very hard time doing this
I'm confused, is blue beetle part of the gunnverse or not?
Wouldn't be surprised if many people don't care as it doesn't mean much
However you're right, a restart needed a batman movie and a superman movie to kickstart it.
Saying that, flash needed to not be confusing as a restart

reelworld

I'm confused, is blue beetle part of the gunnverse or not?
Wouldn't be surprised if many people don't care as it doesn't mean much
However you're right, a restart needed a batman movie and a superman movie to kickstart it.
Saying that, flash needed to not be confusing as a restart
I think I read somewhere that it's going to be part of gunnverse. Not really sure though

Sylar

I think I read somewhere that it's going to be part of gunnverse. Not really sure though
Yeah it's not very clear.
Maybe thats a me issue, but there's quite a few people I know who aren't sure.
I know people who didn't watch Shazam in the cinema because it didn't really matter if it was seen or not.
Most of this is studios fault, including hiring Snyder to over see it but then not following through. Crazy

Hamnat

Blue Beetle also suffered from the actors not being able to promote because of the strike. When you are trying to push a C list comic hero to his first big screen role. The actors need to be front and center to sell it. Not to mention people are going to be hesitant after the DC flops lately not spending their money right off the bat.

Then as mentioned is this character in the Gunn reboot or not? That being unclear and still messy doesn't help.

Aquaman 2 is the last thing in the pipeline before the official Superman reboot. And its been delayed for years, numerous reshoots again is this connected or a one off.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Wasn’t Flash well received?
I like it but no, wasn't well received at all.

Think I read that it ad multiple scripts and writers, I think different aspects of different scripts was what we got in the end. I'm certain the original or atleast one of strong scripts was flashpoint paradox, and Michael Keaton was originally going to play Thomas Wayne.

Sylar

Finally watched Blue beetle and I really enjoyed it. I agree with this post, it was a fun movie. Nothing really outstanding or stand out as you said but solid but suffering due to the mess that is the dc universe. Think it makes more money being the exact same thing but falling under marvel.

Them not being able to promote as @Hamnat said is a blow too

0le

Is the new Aquaman film part of this DC reboot?

Hamnat

WB even skipped out on giving Aquaman2 a red carpet premiere even for marketing. And it's tracking flop territory for Box Office.

Sylar

WB even skipped out on giving Aquaman2 a red carpet premiere even for marketing. And it's tracking flop territory for Box Office.
I saw it, it was OK, but made me realise I forgot a lot about the first one, even though I think that was one of the best from the universe

The best parts were probably aquaman and his brother being thor and loki light.

They should have released this before flash. Then flash after this and changed the ending of flash to basically do the reset on the dceu. Having this and I think blue beetle after flash makes no sense especially as they don't play any part towards the new universe.

Mamoa has fun in his role but the villain wasn't given much to work with. He became too much of a mindless soldier for something bigger which was nothingness anyway.

Having over a year gap before the new gunnverse starts is a good idea.

This isn't the worst movie from the snyderverse era, that goes to ww2 imo. Its about middle. But also shows what an absolute cluster they've made of such a simple thing to do

Wing Attack Plan R

What if they made a Superman or Batman movie aimed squarely at the comic book audience of yesteryear, i.e., children around age 10? I think the problems with superhero films are when they try and graft all this adult-world shit onto stories about dudes in costumes with secret identities fighting other dudes in costumes. I want to like this stuff because I feel I’ve missed out on some grand experience, but ultimately I find this shit stupid.

Like, I saw the first Shazam movie and it was genuinely funny because it was a kid who got to be an adult when the Shazam powers happened. It’s also why I like the first/origin story better than any sequel when it’s a superhero.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
What if they made a Superman or Batman movie aimed squarely at the comic book audience of yesteryear, i.e., children around age 10? I think the problems with superhero films are when they try and graft all this adult-world shit onto stories about dudes in costumes with secret identities fighting other dudes in costumes. I want to like this stuff because I feel I’ve missed out on some grand experience, but ultimately I find this shit stupid.

Like, I saw the first Shazam movie and it was genuinely funny because it was a kid who got to be an adult when the Shazam powers happened. It’s also why I like the first/origin story better than any sequel when it’s a superhero.
But actual comics have been doing that exact thing for a hundred years now? X-Men is the best example which people often miss the point completely.