oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
No Cavill's Superman.
Probably no more Rock's Black Adam
No Wonder Woman 3
Potentially both Affleck and Pattinson Batman have been put on hold.
No more Snyderverse
All we have left is Peacemaker and parts of Justice League probably.
Any idea if this means they will lean into some quality adult content? The best superhero shows/movies I've seen have all been from DC: Watchmen show, Doom Patrol and Joker movie. DC has so much great source material (much better than Marvel IMO) like Jeph Loeb's Batman series, Grant Morrison on Superman, Batman and JLA, Kingdom Come, all the Vertigo stuff including Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. It'd be really great if they could actually produce some more adult content that pushes the boundaries of what you can do with superhero stuff (like the Watchmen show did) or even Joker was fantastic (even if taking a lot from Taxi Driver).

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Well obviously before Gunn took over and is now making his changes, yes the DC Universe was clearly in disarray. We could see that from not wanting Cavill back, to not wanting to release the Snyder cut, then releasing it, then bringing Cavill back etc. They also had people stepping down from their roles.

A fresh take is much better than finding a new director who would do the same as the previous ones who failed and using his stuff. That would only lead to more failure.
I'm sure we saying the same thing here and i agree with the above. The timing of events is just weird though, that's all.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yep, the news of Cavill’s “return” as Superman in that Black Adam cameo is barely cold and now it’s been abandoned already? Talk about shambles.

Now they can’t even pursue a Cavill Superman as separate to this universe as he’s already made a cameo in BA and Gunn states they’ve met with Cavill to break the news to him. I’d have thought these things would have been discussed and agreed between studio, director, actor etc. BEFORE shooting that BA cameo.
DCs approach has been haphazard for a long time.

Superman time! Give complete control to Snyder, wait that's not working, we'll give him control again, still not working, let's change everything and give Snyder complete control again cause Marvel are making serious money, so we'll do an ensemble movie. Now let's do the other origin stories because we already sort of did one for Batman in that "v Superman" film and it's too late to fix it, shit we should've done those other origin movies first so cancel them. Do the ensemble movie now, get this new guy Snyder on the phone and grant him full creative control! Shit THAT didn't work either, bring in the Marvel ensemble guy but be careful so just give him full creative control. Still keep the future origin movies cancelled though. Wait bring them back, wait no just one for Flash. Shit the actor is an asshole which we've known for a long time. Bring in that new Marvel guy everyone loves now. Yeah, the guy who did our remake of Suicide Squad after our first one a couple of years ago didn't work. Give him complete control because that's worked for us every time. Fire Cavill even though we just got him back for a cameo literally weeks ago. What do you mean I need to stop doing coke at work?!

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
DCs approach has been haphazard for a long time.

Superman time! Give complete control to Snyder, wait that's not working, we'll give him control again, still not working, let's change everything and give Snyder complete control again cause Marvel are making serious money, so we'll do an ensemble movie. Now let's do the other origin stories because we already sort of did one for Batman in that "v Superman" film and it's too late to fix it, shit we should've done those other origin movies first so cancel them. Do the ensemble movie now, get this new guy Snyder on the phone and grant him full creative control! Shit THAT didn't work either, bring in the Marvel ensemble guy but be careful so just give him full creative control. Still keep the future origin movies cancelled though. Wait bring them back, wait no just one for Flash. Shit the actor is an asshole which we've known for a long time. Bring in that new Marvel guy everyone loves now. Yeah, the guy who did our remake of Suicide Squad after our first one a couple of years ago didn't work. Give him complete control because that's worked for us every time. Fire Cavill even though we just got him back for a cameo literally weeks ago. What do you mean I need to stop doing coke at work?!
:lol:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yep, the news of Cavill’s “return” as Superman in that Black Adam cameo is barely cold and now it’s been abandoned already? Talk about shambles.

Now they can’t even pursue a Cavill Superman as separate to this universe as he’s already made a cameo in BA and Gunn states they’ve met with Cavill to break the news to him. I’d have thought these things would have been discussed and agreed between studio, director, actor etc. BEFORE shooting that BA cameo.
You'd think he could write a way around not needing to ditch people who actually fit roles quite well, although maybe then it'd be difficult to make it really seem like a reboot.

It's all juat a mess at this point. There are already loads of inconsistencies with the films and how they tie into the universe. There are two versions of Justice League and Suicide Squad that are supposed to somehow exist in tandem with each other. There are two completely different batmans. I'm not even sure if rebooting will help or just make it a bigger mess.

My big fear is I was looking forward to Gunns Suicide Squad, and then it cake along and I found it painful, and that was a "reboot" supposedly. Hopefully he can do a better job with a completely clean slate but I don't really think a bunch of films full of slapstick jokes and one liners will work with DC so he can't just stick to the GOTG formula.

Gunns Peacemaker was brilliant, so i am somewhat optimistic about a DC clean slate reboot. I think his "soft" reboot of Suicide Squad was a product of too many compromises. But still way easier watch than the first.

It would be a pity if Matt Reeves' Batman didn't get a sequel. The Batman was, in my opinion, a very good movie and Robert Pattinson delivered a performance. Also the Joker teaser. Would love to see Barry Keoghan as the Joker.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
You'd think he could write a way around not needing to ditch people who actually fit roles quite well, although maybe then it'd be difficult to make it really seem like a reboot.

It's all juat a mess at this point. There are already loads of inconsistencies with the films and how they tie into the universe. There are two versions of Justice League and Suicide Squad that are supposed to somehow exist in tandem with each other. There are two completely different batmans. I'm not even sure if rebooting will help or just make it a bigger mess.

My big fear is I was looking forward to Gunns Suicide Squad, and then it cake along and I found it painful, and that was a "reboot" supposedly. Hopefully he can do a better job with a completely clean slate but I don't really think a bunch of films full of slapstick jokes and one liners will work with DC so he can't just stick to the GOTG formula.
Yeah agreed with all the above. Even then, re Cavill, they could have just made his movies standalone until they figured out the mess - like the joker movie and assuming Pattinsons Batman are all standalone. Alas, probably more difficult to detach Cavill from any universe as he’s been integral to it. It’s just confusing that said studio bosses announce Cavill as returning, only to then hire Gunn to reboot the universe and cancel Cavills return :lol:

Probably a terrible analogy but it’s like us announcing Rangnick in his consultancy gig, only to then get a manager on board to sort of scrap it all. Guess we’ve been as much a mess as DC since SAF’s retired! Hopefully, like DC, both are on the right path but Gunn has a helluva job on his hands. Like you said, the GotG formula doesn’t seem well suited to DC and Suicide squad (reboot like a couple of years after the original!) was “ok”, at best.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
https://www.google.com/amp/s/variet...antern-supergirl-booster-gold-1235507426/amp/

The Universe beginning's announced. Nothing really feels very impressive tbh.

Still pissed Cavill has been booted out. And no Nightwing, but we get more feckin Batman. :mad:
So Henry Cavill is tough to work with, but Ezra "I groom 12 year old girls and go on months long crime sprees" Miller is fine??? What the feck?

It's just going to end up the same shit show. They won't just nuke the fecking thing and start from scratch, so there's always going to be the baggage from the last couple of failed attempts to reboot this shit show. It needs a 100% clean reboot. Get rid of everyone, not just the "problematic" actors like Cavill...

kps88

Sounds like it will only properly start with the 2025 Superman movie. Everything before that is stuff that was too far along for Gunn to trash.

kps88

So Henry Cavill is tough to work with, but Ezra "I groom 12 year old girls and go on months long crime sprees" Miller is fine??? What the feck?

It's just going to end up the same shit show. They won't just nuke the fecking thing and start from scratch, so there's always going to be the baggage from the last couple of failed attempts to reboot this shit show. It needs a 100% clean reboot. Get rid of everyone, not just the "problematic" actors like Cavill...
Cavill was let go because they're doing a younger version of Superman. Nothing to do with him being tough to work with or problematic.

Oldyella

That all sounds incredibly underwhelming.

Swamp Thing maybe interesting if they do go the horror route, tv show was decent(and in typical DC fashion, cut after a season)

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Cavill was let go because they're doing a younger version of Superman. Nothing to do with him being tough to work with or problematic.
Granted, Im reading between the lines. But not long after Cavill was removed as superman for the 2nd time, Gunn said "What matters most, is that the actor is easy to work with.". Now, he may just have been speaking in general. But the timing was a bit suss. Especially after "sources" on the Witcher started chatting shit about him being a toxic gamer bro on set. And then there's the whole Rock thing, and Rocks ex wife and business partner that is/was Cavill's agent. Supposedly the rock went over the head of the people in charge of DC at the time, which was before Gunn and Safran were appointed. Rock went straight to Zaslav and overplayed his hand, thinking that his Black Adam movie was gonna sell like hot cakes. The Rock is the reason Cavill was back as superman for a short time and got that cameo at the end. The rock wanted Black Adam to be the reboot of the DCEU with him and Cavill at the centre of it. Gunn and Safran were brought in, black Adam tanked, Cavill was let go with the "we're going in another direction" reason and the rock was told basically that he was a basic bitch and to feck off. Because no one likes someone going over anyones heads.

So, we have Cavill, a fan favourite who was talking about bringing superman back to being who he should be instead of all that dark and brooding shit and everyone cheering for it. And then we have a weirdo running around Hawaii and Scandinavia, grooming kids, starting cults, strangling random women on video, breaking into peoples homes, assaulting people in karaoke bars and whole bunch of other shit. But 39 year old Cavill is too old to be supes, while the groomer is redeemable... Pretty much everyone else has an open invitation back except Cavill. And the rock, obviously. Why WB thinks that anyone is going to want to see Miller in anything is beyond me. Certain things you can come back from, but I don't think grooming 12 year old girls is one them. As soon as the promotional stuff starts up for The Flash, that shit is going to plastered all over the place again. He's not gonna be able to answer any questions about the movie without someone bring up the shit he's been up to.

Sylar

They should just do an OTT CGI bobbing head over Ezra's face for the Flash movie. Sad thing is all the people doing hard work and hes basically an idiot x100.

Hamnat

Kinda Meh overall. For the movies at least they are trying to adapt the Batfamily again finally. If done right that could be good stuff for lots of movies and shows. I like the Authority in general but that is a weird choice for you "team" before you established the new A list Justice League group but could work I guess. It would need to be rated R imo.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
James Gunn on Cavill:

"We didn't fire Henry. Henry was never cast," Gunn said, per The Hollywood Reporter. "For me, it's about who do I want to cast as Superman and who do the filmmakers we have want to cast. And for me, for this story, it isn't Henry."

"I like Henry, I think he's a great guy," he continued. "I think he's getting dicked around by a lot of people, including the former regime at this company. But this Superman is not Henry, for a number of reasons."
Given he wants to do a young Superman type movie it makes sense not to cast Cavill and start again. I don't think many people actually believe that 'gamerbro' shite posted on Reddit from an anonymous 'source'.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just watching Black Adam, and I personally don't think it's that bad.

Think if you could go back in time and release the flash, then the suicide squad and then Black Adam (without the cameo at the end), you've got a solid start to a new universe. Shame they all amount to nothing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I very much enjoyed Shazam 2. Just going to say it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Never seen either Shazam tbh.
Don't go in with any expectations. It was built to flop really, completely detached from big stars, no superhero cameos in film, etc.

But it was pretty solid. Kind of kid like but still very watchable. Second was better than the first in my opinion.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The trailer for Blue Beetle seems generic. Stupendously generic. Seems like they're even going with the different-coloured protagonist and antagonist with identical powers. Maybe comic book fans can get excited about that, but I sure can't.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The trailer for Blue Beetle seems generic. Stupendously generic. Seems like they're even going with the different-coloured protagonist and antagonist with identical powers. Maybe comic book fans can get excited about that, but I sure can't.
I just went to go search for the trailer and watch it.

Yeah, agreed. Seems a fairly generic, run of the mill superhero "origin" flick...which we've only had like done to death for the last 1 or 2 decades now. Might be an ok way to kill a couple of hours but i doubt i'll be willing to spend cinema money to go watch it.

Sylar

Don't go in with any expectations. It was built to flop really, completely detached from big stars, no superhero cameos in film, etc.

But it was pretty solid. Kind of kid like but still very watchable. Second was better than the first in my opinion.
TBF, the first one had the lower body of Superman :lol:

Actually, second i was surprised because I didnt see the trailer, and thought they would carry on the joke with WW until the end happened.

Just watching Black Adam, and I personally don't think it's that bad.

Think if you could go back in time and release the flash, then the suicide squad and then Black Adam (without the cameo at the end), you've got a solid start to a new universe. Shame they all amount to nothing.
It did better than the flash. Im wondering for the flash how much it bombed due to Ezra, and how much it bombed with people fed up or them not liking the changes.
The thing is a mess though and Flash' ending didnt really make it clear that there is a new timeline especially with links to the Snyderverse (unless the new timeline has Clooney as Batman, but that wont / shouldnt happen).

I honestly dont know how you screw-up a comic book universe especially for DC which imo has stronger characters than Marvel to play off. Gunn did a great job with Suicide squad and GotG3, but making this universe work is going to take a lot of work.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yeah, Shazam was decent. A kid’s movie that didn’t get ideas above its station and (mostly) hit all the right beats. One of the better superhero movie of recent years.

Hamnat

Blue Beetle is going to be a very hard sell. If they couldn't make Flash work, good luck with this one. He isnt that well known this would be lifting a mid tier hero up into the A listers on screen. But, you need the right marketing push, the right enthusiasm built up and hopefully a good movie....

Other than Batman films DC just has blown credibility. Even with Gunn coming in and explaining the new vision and now we have the extended cast of Hawk Girl, Green lantern and Mr. Terrific being added to his Superman legacy movie.

Halftrack

It's DC, so they'll feck it all up somehow, reboot again and do another run of origin movies.

Sylar

Blue Beetle is going to be a very hard sell. If they couldn't make Flash work, good luck with this one. He isnt that well known this would be lifting a mid tier hero up into the A listers on screen. But, you need the right marketing push, the right enthusiasm built up and hopefully a good movie....

Other than Batman films DC just has blown credibility. Even with Gunn coming in and explaining the new vision and now we have the extended cast of Hawk Girl, Green lantern and Mr. Terrific being added to his Superman legacy movie.
Also think you need a charismatic cast especially the lead. Marvel's early casting especially was really done well.

reelworld

Also think you need a charismatic cast especially the lead. Marvel's early casting especially was really done well.
I think Blue Beetle will be a sleeper hit and surprise everyone. He got the early Spider-Man charm: a regular kid that somehow got powers and have to deal with the consequences. The lead looks charming enough and it seems it has good amount of humor. It's the early Marvel formula that worked quite well.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I think Blue Beetle will be a sleeper hit and surprise everyone. He got the early Spider-Man charm: a regular kid that somehow got powers and have to deal with the consequences. The lead looks charming enough and it seems it has good amount of humor. It's the early Marvel formula that worked quite well.
Think it's gonna be boring shit tbh.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Blue Beetle looks right up there with the 90's straight to DVD rubbish like Shaq's Steel (1997).

Sylar

It needs to be more like Shazam like, but im guessing it wont be. By that I mean light, but also not a world ending type of villain or stakes (so i guess street level like spiderman)
Ive avoided the trailers tbh as DC and others have this tendency to spoil a lot of the movie in them

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Shazam was ok I thought. Nothing better. It had the humour level about right and didn't feel like someone had pieced together a film after accidentally deleting half the footage and forgetting the plot, which puts it above at least half the DC stuff. Not really saying much though, really.

I enjoyed Aquaman, even though they couldn't decide which plot to go with so just chose all of them at once apparently.

Struggling other than that. Man of Steel I liked i guess even though everyone hated it. It was a bit backwards. Why was superman's dad the good guy when he genocided his own people and forced his son to choose between not undoing that and wiping out humanity, and zod was the bad guy for trying to save his own people? Why didn't they all just go into the "phantom zone" when their planet died? How was this a punishment? ....but I enjoyed it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
That's almost every superhero film, isn't it? I just can't see what it's got going for it that is going to make it a hit.

It needs to be more like Shazam like, but im guessing it wont be. By that I mean light, but also not a world ending type of villain or stakes (so i guess street level like spiderman)
Ive avoided the trailers tbh as DC and others have this tendency to spoil a lot of the movie in them
Shazam seems like the absolute best case scenario for it, but even then Shazam 2 was a big bust. This seems even more generic than that.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That's almost every superhero film, isn't it? I just can't see what it's got going for it that is going to make it a hit.

Shazam seems like the absolute best case scenario for it, but even then Shazam 2 was a big bust. This seems even more generic than that.
What?! Blue Beetle sounds like an amazing character.

The suit is capable of compensating for Jaime's digestive system, so that he does not need to expel waste materials when using the suit, and can even make paper out of dead skin cells the suit collects.
He doesn't need to shit AND his suit can give him some paper to do.... something useful, I assume. fecking watch out, Marvel.

nimic

something nice
Scout
What?! Blue Beetle sounds like an amazing character.

He doesn't need to shit AND his suit can give him some paper to do.... something useful, I assume. fecking watch out, Marvel.
That's a wild Wikipedia entry.

The scarab exhibits a reluctance to harm nature, as evidenced in Blue Beetle vol. 7 #4, in which Jaime is attacked by a pair of anthropomorphized trees
fecking Ents.