James Maddison | Spurs

CRUTotalFootballYFF

Supports
Leicester
We should've bought him last summer because now his price as surely doubled. Nonway we are getting him this season.
Wouldn't quite say doubled, but from £80 mil in the summer to £100-120 mil right now.

Your game play actually went up by one level and he provided at least 3 key passes . He is definitely not a CM for me.
Not many sides play with a fixed 10 now.

Silva/De Bruyne both play 8 at City and it is similar with Maddison/Tielemans.
Silva/Maddison play as the more advanced 8 picking up space and transitioning into a 10 at times, Tielemans/De Bruyne are more of the box to box number 8.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
He was fantastic today, superior talent to Barkley. Not sure if he's ready for a big club just yet though. Think he needs to keep his form up for a whole season.

Classical Mechanic

if your only definition of working hard is distance ran then fair enough but there is more to it than that
In 4-3-3 you have to close space which is left open because of the attacking nature of it. The midfielders need to do a lot of high intensity running for the whole game. Maddison just isn’t that guy. As @Kush mentioned, he’s a 10 and England don’t play with one.

England’s squad dictates that we should play the 4-3-3 system I think, our strongest point by far is the front 3 attack and this formation serves them. Our midfield opinions are suited to it as we have workers rather than ballers and a number of the squad play it at club level.

For England to build the team round him, he’ll have to get a lot better than he is now.

He was fantastic today, superior talent to Barkley. Not sure if he's ready for a big club just yet though. Think he needs to keep his form up for a whole season.
He’s just a headless chicken honestly, he should have stayed at Everton.

lysglimt

Scout
I think he showed today he is more than ready.

Robbie Boy

true but if a player like him comes available you really think City Liverpool and newly able to buy Chelsea wouldn't be interested, that said like Maguire our price may put them off
Nah think those clubs are well covered in that position and won’t splash mental money for him to be a squad option.

For us he would be a nailed on starter and a priority signing. Don’t think we would have any competition whatsoever but Woodward will most likely dick around.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Haha, one goal and its gone from 100 million to 120 million! God forbid he has a good season! It will be 200 by Christmas.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I wonder what gave it away? :lol:
No idea what your talking about...:lol:

It was a rhetorical question, really. The guy i was replying to said he remembered that day, against Liverpool. I thought he was saying that the game in the tweet was against Liverpool.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
His distance covered last season was 10.6km per 90 which would put him in the bottom bracket for midfielders in the Premier League. The 4-3-3 Southgate plays is attacking so you need higher work rate midfielders to close the space that’s left open.

The PL haven’t uploaded the running data for this season so I don’t know if he’s improved.
This is a big problem, if we want to compete from the CL in the near future, I don't think we can carry a midfielder, or anyone, really, who doesn't defend at a high rate.

Sylar

It was a rhetorical question, really. The guy i was replying to said he remembered that day, against Liverpool. I thought he was saying that the game in the tweet was against Liverpool.
It was both. It was europa league vs Liverpool. Stadium was rocking at 1-0 when Martial scored.
Stadium was pissed off secondhalf with some of those subs he made :lol:

Oh I thought you were asking a genuine question, because theres a massive europa league logo in the middle of the pitch. :lol:

Red00012

Haha, one goal and its gone from 100 million to 120 million! God forbid he has a good season! It will be 200 by Christmas.
This post should not be undervalued.

He scores today and caf goes wild.

Classical Mechanic

This is a big problem, if we want to compete from the CL in the near future, I don't think we can carry a midfielder, or anyone, really, who doesn't defend at a high rate.
That’s my thought really. We do it with Pogba now. I’m not sure why Ole wants him because it seems you have to build your team round him.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It was both. It was europa league vs Liverpool. Stadium was rocking at 1-0 when Martial scored.
Stadium was pissed off secondhalf with some of those subs he made :lol:
Yea, that's right!

Coutinho scored didn't he, the little fecker.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Imagine if we had James Maddison playing for us instead of Jesse Lingard.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Creeping into feck it and sign him up territory. Such a quality player, english and possibly a United fan to boot. Though bigger concern is a holding midfielder of course. Our next 3 signings in the next 3-4 windows should be something along the lines of (assuming Pogba doesn't leave):
  • Holding midfielder
  • Jadon Sancho
  • James Maddison
Other signings would be more for depth across the board, but 3 for our starting 11 addressing the problem areas would be brilliant.
Would give us this as our starting and back up 11's:
Rashford - Martial - Sancho
Pogba - Maddison
Shaw - Maguire - Lindelof - Wan Bissaka
De Gea

James - Greenwood - Lingard
McTominay - Gomes
Fred
LB - Tuanzebe - Jones - Dalot
Henderson
Brandon Williams, Ethan Laird, James Garner, Tahith Chong among others as further depth across the board. Has excellent potential throughout that squad and you know both Maddison and Sancho will be our top targets until we actually get them (or somebody else does).

HowieC

Creeping into feck it and sign him up territory. Such a quality player, english and possibly a United fan to boot. Though bigger concern is a holding midfielder of course. Our next 3 signings in the next 3-4 windows should be something along the lines of (assuming Pogba doesn't leave):
  • Holding midfielder
  • Jadon Sancho
  • James Maddison
Other signings would be more for depth across the board, but 3 for our starting 11 addressing the problem areas would be brilliant.
Would give us this as our starting and back up 11's:
Rashford - Martial - Sancho
Pogba - Maddison
Shaw - Maguire - Lindelof - Wan Bissaka
De Gea

James - Greenwood - Lingard
McTominay - Gomes
Fred
LB - Tuanzebe - Jones - Dalot
Henderson
Brandon Williams, Ethan Laird, James Garner, Tahith Chong among others as further depth across the board. Has excellent potential throughout that squad and you know both Maddison and Sancho will be our top targets until we actually get them (or somebody else does).
Looks good, but switch Rashford and James. James is far better.

IrishRedDevil

Good goal, but after all the comments above, I was expecting it to be much better.

His first league goal of the season (first goal after 31 shots), yet people are saying his price has went up :lol:

passing-wind

Imagine if we had James Maddison playing for us instead of Jesse Lingard.
I think that's an easy argument to forge but the fact Lingard was decent under Mourinho and poor under Solskjaer speaks volumes about the tactical fluidity in implementing a system for players to flourish under. In all seriousness Maddison is obviously the better player but the coaching in our starting 11 has a role and is a massive concern (has been for years). I don't think it's a case of this guy is better than another, throw him in the same position and expect a miracle, we need to look at the foundation the players are given to improve. How many of our first team members have improved individually in the last 8-9 months. Hardly any.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Southgate is playing a 4-3-3 in the mould of Liverpool where the two wide midfielders are workhorses rather than creative players. Maddison doesn’t fit the system as he has weak work rate which leaves space in that formation for the opposition to exploit. Barkley played this role for Sarri, Henderson plays it for Liverpool. That’s why he said Mount fits the system better than Maddison. It makes sense given our personnel, like Liverpool the jewels in our crown are the front 3, a hard working 4-3-3 midfield allows us to play an attacking formation to compliment them.
But sooner or later we will get problems against the really good teams without a player like Maddison.

Velvet Revolver

His distance covered last season was 10.6km per 90 which would put him in the bottom bracket for midfielders in the Premier League. The 4-3-3 Southgate plays is attacking so you need higher work rate midfielders to close the space that’s left open.

The PL haven’t uploaded the running data for this season so I don’t know if he’s improved.
Distance covered is a not a good stat to define a midfielder. Wonder what scholes's distance covered stats were!

Classical Mechanic

Distance covered is a not a good stat to define a midfielder. Wonder what scholes's distance covered stats were!
It is if you want to play a 4-3-3, look at any coaching site or manual, it’s crucial.

In 4-3-3 you have to close space which is left open because of the attacking nature of it. The midfielders need to do a lot of high intensity running for the whole game. Maddison just isn’t that guy. As @Kush mentioned, he’s a 10 and England don’t play with one.

England’s squad dictates that we should play the 4-3-3 system I think, our strongest point by far is the front 3 attack and this formation serves them. Our midfield opinions are suited to it as we have workers rather than ballers and a number of the squad play it at club level.

For England to build the team round him, he’ll have to get a lot better than he is now.
The Scholes comparison doesn’t really work either. Firstly you’d play him at the base in a 4-3-3 as the DLP that doesn’t have to do as much running but needs to be a good passer. The game has moved on from when he played as well. I think in the last 5 years alone high intensity running has increased 30% in the Premier League. The game has moved on from individual battles and into one of tactical cohesion where all players have to be good in all phases of the game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really like Maddison. He's got quality on the ball - drifts past players and has a low centre of gravity. And his weight of through pass and shot are good as well.

My only skepticism given that he's now entered into top player transfer fee territory is whether he's destined to be absolutely top class or just very good. Does he have the end product to match the proposed fee? I think he created lots of chances last season but scored less than 10 goals. If he's not a proper midfielder, we probably need more goals from him.

Like I said, I do like the player and wanted us to go for him his past summer. But we need to be sure of his end product before breaking the bank on what would be a vital signing. If there are alternatives around the same level (and he isn't a proper cut above), then I'd rather us back off from this one.