James Maddison | Spurs

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think its a necessity, I hate to say this but look at Liverpool they don't have a genuine passer in midfield but have somehow fashioned an all conquering team with TAA being their best passer but playing RB. A midfield of McT, Mcginn and Maddison has more offensive threat than any midfield combination Liverpool could fashion from their options. I think with Maguire and Tuanzebe (I don't see Lindelof as a viable long term starter) we have two good passers from deep so they could compensate for not have a Carrick like figure whilst McT and Fred/McGinn would give us the energy and bite to impose our will on teams.
I've seen too many people use Liverpool as a reference point. Their back 4 is excellent on the ball as is their front three with Firmino being better in the buildup than most CFs. So they get away with their midfield creativity due to the composition of their team, as well as Klopps tactics which is designed to create lots of chances.

I don't see recreating this composition of team (our fullbacks are very different) not Klopp's tactics. So we have to use a more traditional team composition as a reference point. See City - mechanical fullbacks and extremely creative fullbacks.

As an example, put Liverpool's CMs in our team and I don't see them having all that big an impact. Put City's there and it would be transformative.

LVGSdive

As much as I think Maddison is a class player and has quality, he does have Vardy making incredible runs for him non stop for 90 minutes. Nobody in our team has the movement that Vardy has, in fact, no striker has the movement he has.

Reactions: Fortitude

AneRu

I've seen too many people use Liverpool as a reference point. Their back 4 is excellent on the ball as is their front three with Firmino being better in the buildup than most CFs. So they get away with their midfield creativity due to the composition of their team, as well as Klopps tactics which is designed to create lots of chances.

I don't see recreating this composition of team (our fullbacks are very different) not Klopp's tactics. So we have to use a more traditional team composition as a reference point. See City - mechanical fullbacks and extremely creative fullbacks.

As an example, put Liverpool's CMs in our team and I don't see them having all that big an impact. Put City's there and it would be transformative.
But we are speaking in the context of a team with Maddison and McGinn, pace going forward, a brilliant creative striker in Martial and 3/4 in the back 4 being good on the ball. In that potential team the only players who are average on the ball are AWB and McTominay.

I struggle to accept that a team with a front 4 of Rashford - Martial - James - Maddison would struggle to create chances even with a work horse midfield. Add someone like Williams coming from the left and runners from midfield I think you'd have a team that scores enough goals to make top 3 in the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But we are speaking in the context of a team with Maddison and McGinn, pace going forward, a brilliant creative striker in Martial and 3/4 in the back 4 being good on the ball. In that potential team the only players who are average on the ball are AWB and McTominay.

I struggle to accept that a team with a front 4 of Rashford - Martial - James - Maddison would struggle to create chances even with a work horse midfield. Add someone like Williams coming from the left and runners from midfield I think you'd have a team that scores enough goals to make top 3 in the league.
Okay so let's see the quality in the buildup from deep areas. Magure, Lindelof, Mctominay, AWB and Shaw isn't the strongest core when it comes to the back 5 who would be responsible for starting attacks and in some cases riding a high press. Look, the team you propose is a good one but for me among our midfield buys needs to be that one CM who runs the game, in amidst the dribbling and the pace and the flashyness.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I struggle to accept that a team with a front 4 of Rashford - Martial - James - Maddison would struggle to create chances even with a work horse midfield..
I most definitely agree with that, we do have some genuine talent in those three, and its sometimes easy to forget just how young they still are, but they do need a quality #10 to supply and pull the strings.
We get that signing right, and I believe that our attack will click.

fps

No its not the same, its played more and contributed less.

People on here really can't count can they
Ooo he's got one less assist in 1 game more, and clearly there are no other mitigating factors whatsoever so one must be better than the other.

I swear most people on here don't understand football even slightly.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The Pogba that destroyed city after half time in one game during mourinhos reign is the world class pogba. But I've never seen him play to that standard regularly despite his talent. Always seems like he does just enough in some games.
Actually that performance sums Pogba up, he wasn't particular standout before or after those quick fire goals, they were just moments during a game and that's what his majority of his United tenure have been about - moments (albeit admittedly he's never done it again in a game of that magnitude)

Ekeke

Ooo he's got one less assist in 1 game more, and clearly there are no other mitigating factors whatsoever so one must be better than the other.

I swear most people on here don't understand football even slightly.
Do you have any idea what consistent means?

Here I'll give you an example

You are consistently posting stupid posts

fps

Do you have any idea what consistent means?

Here I'll give you an example

You are consistently posting stupid posts
Not really, you're using 11-12 games with players with a single assist difference between them as a basis for judging one of the players as better than the other. That's not the sharpest thing to do. They're both very exciting players, I'd say Maddison currently has a greater sense of positional discipline and a wider range to his passing while Mount is currently looking more exuberant and explosive. I'd be delighted to see either in a Man Utd shirt.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
As much as I think Maddison is a class player and has quality, he does have Vardy making incredible runs for him non stop for 90 minutes. Nobody in our team has the movement that Vardy has, in fact, no striker has the movement he has.
True, but Haaland would :)

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Dont think we can pick players off City and Chelsea and neither can Liverpool. But it's slightly odd to see a Leicester fan actually have a positive thing to say about the stature/pull of Manchester United. How high do you think Maddisons ceiling is btw? Really like him, but I do have some reservations.
  • Whether he'd be worth what would be an amorous fee. The sort of fee he'll cost, one should be getting a talent like Pogba, David Silva KDB etc While Maddison is really good, I'm not sure he can reach that top class bracket. We may be better off looking at the next big midfield talent.
  • I know he is creative, but is his on the ball contribution mainly as an attacker (moments) or does he also contribute greatly towards running the engine room, dictating the play and the build up in general. Or is he someone who needs a creative machinery behind him to shine?
Sorry I hit the posting limit for day.

Personally I think you shouldn't even be going for him, you should be able to scout a more affordable player from another league, but to answer your questions.

Whether he is worth it depends on how much you value success, in todays era. Prices are escalating rapidly. Looking at the names you mentioned I think you have fell into the trap of thinking the player must already be a big name at a big club to become a top player. He is 23, and in the space of a year he has improved massively. By the time he hits his peak he will be a proper world class player. We will probably get close to 9 figures for him when he is sold, quite possibly 9 figures itself.

On your second question, when he first joined, he was a bit light weight, had clear skill, and didn't get around the pitch much. Now he does a lot more, tackles, pressing, a "lot" of forward passes. He is also a very good player to have just behind a striker, isn't scared to shoot. However like every player he will need the right players around him, if you had 11 Mahrez's in your team it would be a terrible team as there would be no one to do the defensive work. Maddison has Ndidi behind him, Tielemans alongside, and Vardy in front, also has a very offensive minded back 4. These all contribute to the team as a whole and is important to remember this is a team game.

Reactions: Fortitude

AkaAkuma

Reports are saying he's signing a new contract with Leicester. I've read somewhere that Maguire did something similiar on the condition of being available for transfer the season after. Maddison may not be available for another season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Reports are saying he's signing a new contract with Leicester. I've read somewhere that Maguire did something similiar on the condition of being available for transfer the season after. Maddison may not be available for another season.
If that was the case for Maguire, we wouldn’t need to spend 80m on him and Leicester would have sold him for a reasonable fees. I don’t think it was the case.

Bruce Wayne

Leicester don't need to sell him and he has 5 year contract since last year. I doubt he will move in the near future.

BlueHaze

I wouldn't mind him here, he's a decent player but Leicester are going to demand close to what they did for Maguire and for that he's simply not worth it. If we gonna blow huge amounts like that it should be for absolute top talent like Sancho for example. If Leicester gonna demand £80m for this guy I'd rather go for Bruno or Zaniolo.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You guys must be joking thinking Maddison is a better player than Pogba right?
He holds no candle to Pogba in terms of vision, skill and strength. It is a definite downgrade and will probably cost as much as we might sell Pogba for.
If the argument is replacing a footballer that doesn't want to be here with someone who wants to be then fine, but sugar coating it to make it seem anything different is just poor form.
Praise be to E-Mal!

Pogba-bashing and revisionism has actually become an e-sport on here.

RUCK4444

I think he should move while his stock is high, best for him and the club to get the maximum transfer amount.

I mean in fairness Leicester are going places but if he wants to win trophies and compete at a big club you need to move when you get the chance.

I think he’s good enough to make it at a big club, talented player. I think he would do great here.

Dozer

£40m and £50m respectively for Tielemans and Fernandes in the summer would've made a lot more sense than £90m for Maddison now.

pascell

£40m and £50m respectively for Tielemans and Fernandes in the summer would've made a lot more sense than £90m for Maddison now.
But Sporting wanted £70m maybe even higher due to them only getting a small chunk % of the transfer fee, so what would have been better value, Tielemens and Fernandes for £110m or Tielemens and Maddison for £130m?

Ekeke

Currently statistically the best performing English player in the top leagues

Also the 3rd best CM in the top leagues after De Bruyne and Silva

We'd be crazy not to sign him if we have the opportunity to do so. He's better than Pogba was last season

Mainoldo

Currently statistically the best performing English player in the top leagues

Also the 3rd best CM in the top leagues after De Bruyne and Silva

We'd be crazy not to sign him if we have the opportunity to do so. He's better than Pogba was last season
Having actually taken the time to watch him like most on here probably haven’t. He’s not all that. Definitely not worth what we would have to pay and definitely nowhere near good enough to reach Paul Pogba’s level. But better than most we have.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Having actually taken the time to watch him like most on here probably haven’t. He’s not all that. Definitely not worth what we would have to pay and definitely nowhere near good enough to reach Paul Pogba’s level. But better than most we have.
Which attacking midfielder do you think would be best for us if not Maddison

Ekeke

Whilst taking the time to watch him over the past 2 seasons, he is a very good dribbler, set piece taker and shooter whilst also working back for the team to win the ball sometimes.

If you dont like him you dont like him, but no need to lie.

Mainoldo

Whilst taking the time to watch him over the past 2 seasons, he is a very good dribbler, set piece taker and shooter whilst also working back for the team to win the ball sometimes.

If you dont like him you dont like him, but no need to lie.
Which bit was a lie? He’s not better than Jack Grealish to be honest.

Even the last live game against Arsenal. He got man of the match and basically done nothing but score. He’s a good player just I feel those who know nothing about him will be very disappointed.

Ekeke

Which bit was a lie? He’s not better than Jack Grealish to be honest.

Even the last live game against Arsenal. He got man of the match and basically done nothing but score. He’s a good player just I feel those who know nothing about him will be very disappointed.
He's better than Grealish at many things.

Dribbling, delivery, goal scoring from midfield and working to win the ball back and hes 2 years younger. Grealish has more consistently found a key pass this season. Grealish is good too but theres only one winner between them if we want to win the league or champions league at some point. Maddison is one of two key players at Leicester 2nd in the league, Grealish is one of two key players at Aston Villa 3 points above the relegation zone

Mainoldo

Dribbling, delivery, goal scoring from midfield and working to win the ball back and hes 2 years younger. Grealish has more consistently found a key pass this season. Grealish is good too but theres only one winner between them if we want to win the league or champions league at some point. Maddison is one of two key players at Leicester 2nd in the league, Grealish is one of two key players at Aston Villa 3 points above the relegation zone
If you switched the two Grealish would perform better. Maddison has a better set piece but Grealish is a more talented footballer. However he’s that is partly due to him being older and more mature. But neither win you a champs league or Premiership. However like Henderson with everything right then can be part of a title winning team.

Mcking

Maddison is just one of several players at Leicester. Pereira, Chilwell, Vardy, Ndidi, Tielemans, Evans, Soyuncu are all good.

Ekeke

If you switched the two Grealish would perform better. Maddison has a better set piece but Grealish is a more talented footballer. However he’s that is partly due to him being older and more mature. But neither win you a champs league or Premiership. However like Henderson with everything right then can be part of a title winning team.
:lol: Henderson.

Maddison is closer to De Bruyne who creates more oppertunities than he does with crosses. Doesnt mean De Bruyne isnt a top midfielder or cant win things with City

Mainoldo

:lol: Henderson.

Maddison is closer to De Bruyne who creates more oppertunities than he does with crosses. Doesnt mean De Bruyne isnt a top midfielder or cant win things with City
Totally flew over your head what I meant. Basically saying he’s not the player that wins you the Champions league. That is your Mane’s and Salah’s of this world. He can’t even get in the bloody England team and our midfield is awful.

Ekeke

Totally flew over your head what I meant. Basically saying he’s not the player that wins you the Champions league. That is your Mane’s and Salah’s of this world. He can’t even get in the bloody England team and our midfield is awful.
Neither can the most in form CB. England is obviously a silly yard stick. Scholes and Carrick struggled to get games in CM too

He's the best attacking player in the 2nd placed team in the league. Of course he can win you something

Mainoldo

Neither can the most in form CB. England is obviously a silly yard stick. Scholes and Carrick struggled to get games in CM too

He's the best attacking player in the 2nd placed team in the league. Of course he can win you something
I wouldn’t say Scholes and Carrick have that public loving that meant they couldn’t get overlooked for a Gerrard and Lampard.

Chris Smalling has been our of favour for England on day one. Hardly Maddison excuse. He’s been very apparent in the most recent squads and was overlooked for Kosovo ahead of Harry Winks. It’s not a yard stick but when we are dying out for creativity in the middle it’s abit alarming he doesn’t get a look in. Be it he’s young, energetic and good at set pieces. Like you have stated.