James Maddison | Spurs

Haven't watched the game but would sign him purely for that post game interview.
I feel the same about Declan Rice. Comes across as absolutely obsessed with football, hugely knowledgeable about the game and an absolute sponge in terms of wanting to learn about the GOATs of the game and how they trained, what they did to succeed. There was a YouTube video he did with Rio, where he was just clearly in awe of some of the stories Rio was telling.

It's a hugely underrated quality to sign intelligent players - both game and general. We've seen that with Bruno. Our best teams were full of characters like that. Gary Neville basically made a career out of hard work and high game intelligence.

I think it's a big, underlooked reason for Liverpool's success under Klopp. Packed with high IQ players who live and breathe the game. Robertson, Van Dijk, Trent, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum...Jota has an encyclopedic football knowledge. And those are just the ones I've heard speaking for a significant amount of time.

It's a massive quality, and one that can set you apart from a big chunk of the league. It's an attribute that should be talked about as much as pace or technical ability. How many footballers have you heard that just reel off base level cliches? And in almost all those cases, their lack of game intelligence shows on the pitch.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I've never been big on him. Think he's a decent player but there are better in his position. But after watching his post match interview today I think I just became a fan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tallis

I always rated him quite highly - between the various English AMs, I rate him and Grealish the highest (more than Mount, Foden).

city-puma

Techniques, good shooting skills, work rate, and work ethnics. Looks funny but charming? What else does he lack of not to be a Manutd player?
Must be a massive transfer fee...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Always loved him as a player tbh, think he's brilliant. And a United fan to boot. Similarly to Grealish, he's best as a #10, but he can actually play as an 8 while Grealish is a LW if not a #10, so marginally Maddison would suit us more as a Pogba replacement, but you'd still need a brilliant holding midfielder to sit behind Maddison and Bruno.

Has to be there for England though. So many quality players coming through right now, and IMO they'll be wasted with Southgate. Crying out for a 433 and a manager who knows how to set them up as such. Its a great squad with depth in every position, but you know Southgate will just make some bad decisions here.
Kane/DCL
Rashford/Sancho Grealish/Foden Sterling/Sancho
Henderson/Rice Maddison/Phillips
Shaw/Chilwell Gomez/Stones Maguire TAA/AWB
Pope/Henderson​

Andersonson

Just saw the interview. It was great passion there from him.

Made me actually like him a bit more. Seems like an honest and down to earth type of guy.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I feel the same about Declan Rice. Comes across as absolutely obsessed with football, hugely knowledgeable about the game and an absolute sponge in terms of wanting to learn about the GOATs of the game and how they trained, what they did to succeed. There was a YouTube video he did with Rio, where he was just clearly in awe of some of the stories Rio was telling.

It's a hugely underrated quality to sign intelligent players - both game and general. We've seen that with Bruno. Our best teams were full of characters like that. Gary Neville basically made a career out of hard work and high game intelligence.

I think it's a big, underlooked reason for Liverpool's success under Klopp. Packed with high IQ players who live and breathe the game. Robertson, Van Dijk, Trent, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum...Jota has an encyclopedic football knowledge. And those are just the ones I've heard speaking for a significant amount of time.

It's a massive quality, and one that can set you apart from a big chunk of the league. It's an attribute that should be talked about as much as pace or technical ability. How many footballers have you heard that just reel off base level cliches? And in almost all those cases, their lack of game intelligence shows on the pitch.
Sell Pogba, sign Jonathan Wilson.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Maddison definitely came across as a bit of a knob when he was younger. Maybe now he’s become a bit more humble as he’s realised his hairline’s going to pot and he’ll be Steven Ireland’s doppelgänger in a couple of years.
Haha - good shout. He’s coming back into form now after that injury he suffered last season - looks like he’s in sync with his body again.

Real Name

That's one of the best player post game interviews I've seen in a good while. Talked about tactics and played down title contenders shout. Sounds really mature and down to earth.

Sylar

His interview on the weekend was good. He looks like somebody that is really enjoying what he's doing

I remember we were linked heavily before we got Bruno

I do hope he makes the England squad also especially after the injury he has come back from

dal

Apartment his intermittent cheesiness I’m very impressed by his interview. Seems to understand the game tactically and his words and actions align.

Still prefer Grealish though as he’s more versatile and just box office and an unbelievable ball carrier, hopefully he doesn’t do a maradona for Villa and comes to us.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ha! I like him, bit of cockiness too which I like. Was absolutely convinced he was coming to replace Pogba a while back.

Tony247

Agree. Skill plus high IQ based decisions on the field can be differentiators.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Not once been impressed when I decided to watch him so maybe he is good in the other games
He's actually not been that good this season. He ends up popping up with a goal or an assist, but since his injury he's not been back to close to his best.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
That's one of the best player post game interviews I've seen in a good while. Talked about tactics and played down title contenders shout. Sounds really mature and down to earth.
I though he’d spoke a lot but said nothing, don’t see why Rodgers would be unhappy

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Very insightful interview - gave away a lot and wasn't thinking too much about it. Rogers may not be pleased, but as a spectator that was great.
He does give a very good interview & obviously has a future in TV when he retires. A few fans on the Leicester fan forum were saying he gave away too much information but I'm sure opposition analysts are more than capable of working it out themselves.

432JuanMata

Good player but if we are thinking of ever signing him or a player like him I’d prefer Grealish. Grealish seems better in tight areas and has everything Maddison has.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He‘a definitely at his best in this sort of free-roaming no.10/8 hybrid — the sort of role and areas you want him in are central. Don’t think he can play as a wide playmaker in the way Grealish does. Just has completely different style and strengths to his game.

Luke1995

How his Leicester performances so far compare to what he showed at previous clubs ? In other words, Is he meeting expectations or exceeding them ?

Ekeke

How his Leicester performances so far compare to what he showed at previous clubs ? In other words, Is he meeting expectations or exceeding them ?
I mean... before Leicester he was a kid playing in the championship. Obviously the expectation was that he'd be a good premier league player, but to be one of the best in his position straight away is way ahead of schedule

Luke1995

I mean... before Leicester he was a kid playing in the championship. Obviously the expectation was that he'd be a good premier league player, but to be one of the best in his position straight away is way ahead of schedule
Some players struggle making the jump from the championship. I think some PL clubs provide better conditions for that transition to happen than others. Obviously also depends on the player mentality.

Leicester seems like a club with a clear project in development. Maddison obviously will attract interest from other clubs if he keeps his form up, so will be interesting to see if he sees his long term future there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When I see him, I just think of those twats on The Only Way is Essex.

cyberman

Eric needs to go on a revenge tour and save all these comments for when we win. The need for opposition managers, and players, to gloat and stick the boot in annoyed me as much as the losses

Spaghetti

Mom's

Eric needs to go on a revenge tour and save all these comments for when we win. The need for opposition managers, and players, to gloat and stick the boot in annoyed me as much as the losses
Is that a recent quote? We played at The King Power, not Old Trafford.

Edit: just seen, April 2022.

cyberman

Is that a recent quote? We played at The King Power, not Old Trafford.
The 1-1 in April. Stuck with me, that and the Southampton and Wolves managers who came out after their games and couldn’t wait to tell all about their clever game plan and breaking down how shit we were.
There was no need for it imo. Touchy I know

Varun1

I don't get it, it was an away game for us so what does he mean by 'about coming to Old Trafford'?

Edit: Others have answered it. Quote is from April.