James Maddison | Spurs

mu4c_20le

A further issue with Pogba is the following:

He wants to leave
He's been bang average for 3 seasons

Maddison would actually want to be here, people live in a fantasy world with Pogba.
You know he scored twice as many goals as Maddison last season right? despite being in an open war against his own manager who went into self destruct mode, and repeatedly benching him for Fellaini.

el3mel

You know he scored twice as many goals as Maddison last season right? despite being in an open war against his own manager who went into self destruct mode, and repeatedly benching him for Fellaini.
Last season Maddison took 2 pens and scored 1. Pogba took 11 pens and scored 8. Here's your answer.

mu4c_20le

Last season Maddison took 2 pens and scored 1. Pogba took 11 pens and scored 8. Here's your answer.
Still scored more goals from open play despite only playing sporadically in the hole starting in mid December when Ole took over, as well as being the main expected source of creativity in the team.

el3mel

Still scored more goals from open play despite only playing sporadically in the hole starting in mid December when Ole took over, as well as being the main expected source of creativity in the team.
Not sure scoring 2 more goals from open play than a player playing for the 9th spot team is anything worth noting.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pogba to Maddison is a definite downgrade. But then again, we aren't going to replace Pogba with someone as good. We'd have to ensure we buy multiple midfielders of high quality so that the collective is stronger.

Teja

Are people seriously claiming Maddison is better than Pogba? Maybe you can convince RM to leave Pogba and sign Maddison instead.

No? Thought not.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Give so differences then
Pogba is more of a box to box player Maddison, though playing in a 3 for us right now is a pure play maker, if you want to say someone in our side would be a like for like swap it would be Tielemans

RooneyLegend

Pogba is more of a box to box player Maddison, though playing in a 3 for us right now is a pure play maker, if you want to say someone in our side would be a like for like swap it would be Tielemans
Pogba has played that role alot through his career. Most would argue it's his best role. Pogba might have more strings to his bow but he does everything Maddison does.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
They are not. No way could you see Maddison playing in a midfield 2 with as much defensive responsibility as Pogba had at the world cup
Maddison is actually very sound defensively in both attitude and aptitude, it's just that Leicester overall are better served unleashing him to play with maximum freedom.

He is superior to Pogba in that regard who seems to genuinely hate defending.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
You're clearly clueless about what's happening at Manchester United. Van Gaal and Mourinho were two of the three managers hired post Moyes (picked by SAF) so clearly going for managers who had a "worthy track record" wasn't the issue. So there's that theory debunked.

Back in the real world, our major issue has been multiple fold - a CEO who is brilliant at the business side of his job but has been undoubtedley been unsuited to the football side and failed in this respect (badly). This has led to the other issue - we've picked managers who have A) simply not been good enough regardless of CV b) wasted money of poor signings c) also had no cohesion with one another (see LVG to Mourinho). So yeah, it's a deeper problem that has more to do with incompetence than "we are Manchester United".

Also anybody who isn't terribly off the mark, knows that when Ole says "we're Manchester United" - he is A) instilling a sense of expectation, responsibility and pride among the players and fans of standards that have to be set. B) reminding everybody of our past and hence the level we have to reach. He is definitely not hinting that we will be successful because we are Manchester United. That interpretation makes no sense whatsoever.

And yes, Ole is a mediocre manager. We'll replace him soon. If we get the right man in, and start putting things back together, our lure will be huge again, given the statute of the football club.
Nice post!

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It was Maddisons first season in the Premier !!
He is 22 years old and still a work in progress & definitely cannot compare directly to Pogba just yet. If you buy him please don't start comparing to Pogba & all of a sudden he is shit !
This lad can play & brought along properly he will be very, very good.

Craig Ward

Still doesn't want to be here, still doesn't play to the best of his abilities.

Surely you want players that are committed and want to be here?

There's no point having a player here with world class ability if he doesn't make the most of that ability.

Giggsforever

Maddison is clearly the better playmaker compared to Pogba, but Pogba is clearly the more complete player.

That being said, Pogba has not contributed as we hoped the last 18 months and want to leave. What we are most in need of is someone to run our game and utilize James, Rashford and Martial speed.

Last season I remember Maddison was the player that had created most scoring chances in all of the top leagues. He is also the player that has created most chances in the PL in the 18/19 and 19/20 season combined.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...has-brilliant-leicester-doesnt-start-england/

He is what we need and getting him away from Leicester might give us a shot at top 4 as I think Leicester would fall apart without him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are people seriously claiming Maddison is better than Pogba? Maybe you can convince RM to leave Pogba and sign Maddison instead.

No? Thought not.
Ah RM. The barometer of smart transfers of late.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You know a player is very good if He scores a goal through a defender's leg.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Maddison is actually very sound defensively in both attitude and aptitude, it's just that Leicester overall are better served unleashing him to play with maximum freedom.

He is superior to Pogba in that regard who seems to genuinely hate defending.
Pogba made more ball recoveries than Maddison did last season, not bad for someone who hates defending and is inferior to someone else is it ;)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
First it was Eriksen, now it’s Maddison. You’d start to think Paul Pogba was a genuinely world class player the way some gone on here.

amolbhatia50k

No? Thought not.
Of course Pogba is better. He's a brilliant footballer. But A) you never know which player suits a system better and B) in case he wants out, we may end up a better team with a few key replacements.

But yes, Pogba is clearly a better footballer. He has natural abilities which Maddison simply does not. Ideally I'd still prefer us to strengthen this team with him being the creative flair player in there.

Ekeke

Maddison is joint top scoring AM/CM in the league. He also scored the most freekicks of all players last season, and makes more tackles than Pogba.

McTominay, Fred and Wan Bisakka are the only United players who make more tackles than Maddison. Ndidi, Ricardo and Soyuncu are the only Leicester players who make more tackles than Maddison. He makes more than players like Grealish for example.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
While I don’t think Maddison is better than Pogba, however I do think he’d be a very good replacement if Pogba leaves next summer. No doubt he’ll be very costly but he’d fit our team like a glove. He’s the sort of player I like to see us go for, on the cusp of being a great player but not quite there just yet, he’s in a similar age bracket to our current attackers so in theory they’d be able to mature their game together.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The Pogba that destroyed city after half time in one game during mourinhos reign is the world class pogba. But I've never seen him play to that standard regularly despite his talent. Always seems like he does just enough in some games.

Maddison is a completely different player but nowhere close to that level in any case. He is getting better all the time and would improve your team for sure but it's a non debate.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Football can be a cruel game.

I expect at least 90% of the players in the football pyramid have an ambition to play for either Liverpool or Manchester United. So essentially every move they make is really a "stepping stone", its only really those two clubs who are not seen as a stepping stone. I think even the likes of Chelsea and Man City would lose players to yourselves but for some reason you let those clubs off and never go for their players, its as if the big 6 have a gentleman's agreement to leave each other alone.

Even if you were relegated there would I expect be some players even willing to drop a division to play for you and Liverpool. This keeps both teams at a massive advantage over competitors, so e.g. even if Manchester United, had no interest in playing Maddison, they could unsettle him just by making an interest known simply to sabotage our season. It is football.

The extra money in the game has allowed clubs to resist this somewhat, whether the money is from TV rights or billionaire sugar daddies. But end of the day if a player's head is turned its often terminal.

I think Maguire's head was turned last summer, an agreement was made we would keep him for one extra season, but he missed a "lot" of games and when he played he wasn't at his best, seemingly in preparation for his move.
Zaha at Palace is playing well below par, head turned.
Mahrez had his head turned I think at least twice, we recovered the first one, but when Man City came in for him that January it was terminal, we only got him playing again by agreeing the move would be actioned in the summer. Would he have stayed if we paid him 500k a week? don't know, but that would be a problem in itself as wage structure would be totally destroyed. It would either destroy squad morale or we give everyone a rise and fail FFP.
If Maddison signs a new deal this summer then it probably means he is gone the next, the new contract only serving to maximise the transfer fee. Like Maguire signed one the summer before he left.

For a club like ourselves the dominoes kind of need to fall in place all at once, because once you start playing well, the players will get poached or at least have their heads turned. Whilst the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool only really need to worry about the two Spanish giants.

Personally I think players need to show a "bit" more loyalty, I think they should be giving at least 3 years to their club before moving on, Kante only gave us 1 year, Maguire only 2. This year is Maddison's 2nd, will we get a 3rd? Clubs like Manchester should show a bit more respect as well, going in for players that have only been at a club for a year or two does seem rude, but of course we have probably been guilty of that ourselves on clubs lower than us in the pyramid.

This summer our new training complex will be ready and it will be one of the best in Europe, that should help us get and retain players moving forward. But it wont completely overcome the lure of stature.

Reactions: Fortitude

amolbhatia50k

Football can be a cruel game.

I expect at least 90% of the players in the football pyramid have an ambition to play for either Liverpool or Manchester United. So essentially every move they make is really a "stepping stone", its only really those two clubs who are not seen as a stepping stone. I think even the likes of Chelsea and Man City would lose players to yourselves but for some reason you let those clubs off and never go for their players, its as if the big 6 have a gentleman's agreement to leave each other alone.

Even if you were relegated there would I expect be some players even willing to drop a division to play for you and Liverpool. This keeps both teams at a massive advantage over competitors, so e.g. even if Manchester United, had no interest in playing Maddison, they could unsettle him just by making an interest known simply to sabotage our season. It is football.

The extra money in the game has allowed clubs to resist this somewhat, whether the money is from TV rights or billionaire sugar daddies. But end of the day if a player's head is turned its often terminal.

I think Maguire's head was turned last summer, an agreement was made we would keep him for one extra season, but he missed a "lot" of games and when he played he wasn't at his best, seemingly in preparation for his move.
Zaha at Palace is playing well below par, head turned.
Mahrez had his head turned I think at least twice, we recovered the first one, but when Man City came in for him that January it was terminal, we only got him playing again by agreeing the move would be actioned in the summer. Would he have stayed if we paid him 500k a week? don't know, but that would be a problem in itself as wage structure would be totally destroyed. It would either destroy squad morale or we give everyone a rise and fail FFP.
If Maddison signs a new deal this summer then it probably means he is gone the next, the new contract only serving to maximise the transfer fee. Like Maguire signed one the summer before he left.

For a club like ourselves the dominoes kind of need to fall in place all at once, because once you start playing well, the players will get poached or at least have their heads turned. Whilst the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool only really need to worry about the two Spanish giants.

Personally I think players need to show a "bit" more loyalty, I think they should be giving at least 3 years to their club before moving on, Kante only gave us 1 year, Maguire only 2. This year is Maddison's 2nd, will we get a 3rd? Clubs like Manchester should show a bit more respect as well, going in for players that have only been at a club for a year or two does seem rude, but of course we have probably been guilty of that ourselves on clubs lower than us in the pyramid.

This summer our new training complex will be ready and it will be one of the best in Europe, that should help us get and retain players moving forward. But it wont completely overcome the lure of stature.
Dont think we can pick players off City and Chelsea and neither can Liverpool. But it's slightly odd to see a Leicester fan actually have a positive thing to say about the stature/pull of Manchester United. How high do you think Maddisons ceiling is btw? Really like him, but I do have some reservations.
  • Whether he'd be worth what would be an amorous fee. The sort of fee he'll cost, one should be getting a talent like Pogba, David Silva KDB etc While Maddison is really good, I'm not sure he can reach that top class bracket. We may be better off looking at the next big midfield talent.
  • I know he is creative, but is his on the ball contribution mainly as an attacker (moments) or does he also contribute greatly towards running the engine room, dictating the play and the build up in general. Or is he someone who needs a creative machinery behind him to shine?

E-mal

You guys must be joking thinking Maddison is a better player than Pogba right?
He holds no candle to Pogba in terms of vision, skill and strength. It is a definite downgrade and will probably cost as much as we might sell Pogba for.
If the argument is replacing a footballer that doesn't want to be here with someone who wants to be then fine, but sugar coating it to make it seem anything different is just poor form.

tonnas

Pogba to Maddison is a definite downgrade. But then again, we aren't going to replace Pogba with someone as good. We'd have to ensure we buy multiple midfielders of high quality so that the collective is stronger.
thats why we need to replace pogba with 2, someone like maddison and mcginn with mctominay behing them

fps

Right. But not as consistent as Maddison who has 4 goals and 2 assists in 11 games, to Mount's 4 goals and 1 assist in 12 games
So pretty much the same then.

People on here really can’t put an argument together can they.

ROFLUTION

You guys must be joking thinking Maddison is a better player than Pogba right?
He holds no candle to Pogba in terms of vision, skill and strength. It is a definite downgrade and will probably cost as much as we might sell Pogba for.
If the argument is replacing a footballer that doesn't want to be here with someone who wants to be then fine, but sugar coating it to make it seem anything different is just poor form.
That really depends. Do you want flashes of brilliance and terrible games or do you want stability?

Id argue we need stability more. Of course Id like Pogba to succeed here, but the case for stability is strong. He binds it all together at Leicester, which is probably why they're doing so good. Eriksen did that too at Spurs, and these types of stable hard workers make the team tick. Spurs are a bit bipolar this year without his stability.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
That really depends. Do you want flashes of brilliance and terrible games or do you want stability?

Id argue we need stability more. Of course Id like Pogba to succeed here, but the case for stability is strong. He binds it all together at Leicester, which is probably why they're doing so good. Eriksen did that too at Spurs, and these types of stable hard workers make the team tick. Spurs are a bit bipolar this year without his stability.
while I have no doubt that on his day PP is a better player than JM, I agree with this post.

if we got JM in and another midfielder to replace PP I’d be pretty happy. Pogba is a sideshow all of his own and always will be.

sugar_kane

I don’t think we’ll sign Maddison personally.

too many red flags around his off the pitch conduct, he sounds like a bit of a wanker - to be blunt.

not sure we need that round the club - especially not right now.

amolbhatia50k

thats why we need to replace pogba with 2, someone like maddison and mcginn with mctominay behing them
I'm worried about us not having a genuine playmaker. From what I understand Mcginn is a good dribbler and an engine with lots of drive. Maddison is more of a creative player who has attacking instincts. With Mctominay and Fred it doesn't leave us with anyone who is a genuinely excellent passer/controller/playmaker.

Alabaster Codify7

I don’t think we’ll sign Maddison personally.

too many red flags around his off the pitch conduct, he sounds like a bit of a wanker - to be blunt.

not sure we need that round the club - especially not right now.

Yeah good point - if Ole is serious about changing the culture (which is one of the few things I do believe in regards to this 'plan' he has), someone like Maddison would be a red flag. Imagine his flash-Harry attitude (see his off-pitch / social media stuff) rubbing shoulders with JLingz, Rashy and impressionable young kids. I rate him but not for us, I don't think.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
too many red flags around his off the pitch conduct, he sounds like a bit of a wanker - to be blunt..
Other than his recent Casino faux pas, I wasn't aware of any other issues..

AneRu

I'm worried about us not having a genuine playmaker. From what I understand Mcginn is a good dribbler and an engine with lots of drive. Maddison is more of a creative player who has attacking instincts. With Mctominay and Fred it doesn't leave us with anyone who is a genuinely excellent passer/controller/playmaker.
I don't think its a necessity, I hate to say this but look at Liverpool they don't have a genuine passer in midfield but have somehow fashioned an all conquering team with TAA being their best passer but playing RB. A midfield of McT, Mcginn and Maddison has more offensive threat than any midfield combination Liverpool could fashion from their options. I think with Maguire and Tuanzebe (I don't see Lindelof as a viable long term starter) we have two good passers from deep so they could compensate for not have a Carrick like figure whilst McT and Fred/McGinn would give us the energy and bite to impose our will on teams.