James Maddison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

Disagree. He's OK, but I don't think he's anything special at all.

How many midfielders in the Under 21s (tournament) have we seen who are at least as good or even better than him? Thing is those players do not receive the same hype.

Over-rated, and will be overpriced. And will not improve us that much, if at all

Save the money, scout around. There's no urgency to purchase Maddison.
The u21 Euros is not where you'd be scouting him from. You never buy out of tournaments or you're likely to end up with a Poborsky.

Ekeke

Disagree. He's OK, but I don't think he's anything special at all.

How many midfielders in the Under 21s (tournament) have we seen who are at least as good or even better than him? Thing is those players do not receive the same hype.

Over-rated, and will be overpriced. And will not improve us that much, if at all

Save the money, scout around. There's no urgency to purchase Maddison.
I guess messi is crap then

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Nobody should judge a player when they're managed by Aidy Boothroyd. Foden, AwB, Maddison will all have excellent careers(just to name a few). England's bad performance in U21 doesn't change that.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think this guy could develop into a very solid midfielder, good all round game, pops up with a few goals, and appears to have a lot of self confidence, so may develop into a leader on the pitch, something that quite a few posters on here are crying out for. I would like to see him sign for United.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Nobody should judge a player when they're managed by Aidy Boothroyd. Foden, AwB, Maddison will all have excellent careers(just to name a few). England's bad performance in U21 doesn't change that.
How can England not find anyone better than Bothroyd to nurture their young stars? Even Sancho would've looked average.

davidmichael

Yeah, he didnt play that role. Tielemens played a bit deeper than Maddison most of the time, he was the one getting on the ball more, playing more passes overall and from deeper with Maddison receiving the ball on the half turn in space further up the pitch
Maddison is a no.10. Pogba is the one you would have in a deeper role if they were in the same team.
Can’t say I’ve watched much of Maddison so was going by what @Sparky Rhiwabon said about him playing in a deeper role, is it a role Maddison could play ?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he's a quality young player and a United fan, this is a no-brainer. He's very talented and he'll most likely run through a brick wall for us. We should get this one done.

Fer

Can we fit Maddison, Pogba and Fernandes in the first eleven?

IMO we should sign just one CAM, someone like Havertz, Eriksen, Fernandes or Maddison would be good. Then, we would need another midfield to allow Pogba and the CAM to create goal opportunities.

Swiss_Red89

I really would like Maddison to join us.
He seems to be a clever player with a very good shoot and a creative mindset.

If Pogba leaves, we certainly should try to sign him because he could be his direct replacement as i feel LCM is his best Position.

If the rumours of him being a United Fan are true, it would be another reason to be after him. We could do with a few more players playing for the badge.

Ekeke

IMO we should sign just one CAM, someone like Havertz, Eriksen, Fernandes or Maddison would be good. Then, we would need another midfield to allow Pogba and the CAM to create goal opportunities.
No. Not without reducing the influence of 2 of them.

Pogba can play deeper but when he has done that for us his lack of defensive discipline has been an issue and he hasnt been as good as he was last season. To have that Pogba he needs to play near the front players.

Fernandes is the best of the 3 at putting his foot in and helping with the ball winning. But his major talent is shooting or finding a key pass. So if he isnt the midfielder close to the front players he's going to most likely have less efforts on goal.

And Maddison's best skills are receiving the ball on the half turn towards the opponent's third of the pitch and dribbling, winning a freekick or finding a good pass to an attacker.

In theory I think Pogba and Fernandes could play together, or Maddison and Fernandes. But I don't think Pogba and Maddison in the same midfield would be disciplined enough defensively to do a proper job pressing and helping to win the ball.

Fer

No. Not without reducing the influence of 2 of them.

Pogba can play deeper but when he has done that for us his lack of defensive discipline has been an issue and he hasnt been as good as he was last season. To have that Pogba he needs to play near the front players.

Fernandes is the best of the 3 at putting his foot in and helping with the ball winning. But his major talent is shooting or finding a key pass. So if he isnt the midfielder close to the front players he's going to most likely have less efforts on goal.

And Maddison's best skills are receiving the ball on the half turn towards the opponent's third of the pitch and dribbling, winning a freekick or finding a good pass to an attacker.

In theory I think Pogba and Fernandes could play together, or Maddison and Fernandes. But I don't think Pogba and Maddison in the same midfield would be disciplined enough defensively to do a proper job pressing and helping to win the ball.
Agreed.

The only way I can see them together, it would be in a 442 (diamond) formation.

Maddison behind the strikers, and s midfield of 3 (Fernandes, Pogba and a CDM). But still a bit unbalanced.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
This still a thing? Don't think there's any way this'll happen now...

Jibbs

If Pogba leaves, I want us to sign both Madison and Fernandes as our two AMs, and pair them ideally with Rabiot, something similar to how City setup.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Maddison would be my choice of replacement for Pogba. Quality player with that little bit of arrogance that a United player should have. He's also a life-long supporter, someone who actually wants to play for us. This should be our priority signing this summer along with a CB.

Reactions: Sultan

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maddison would be my choice of replacement for Pogba. Quality player with that little bit of arrogance that a United player should have. He's also a life-long supporter, someone who actually wants to play for us. This should be our priority signing this summer along with a CB.
His arrogance is more out on the town though isn't it?

Fer

To replace Pogba, I would prefer a goalscoring midfielder. Someone like Havertz (17 goals) or Fernandes (20 goals).

We can buy one of them and another midfielder like N'Domebele.

Maddison would be a good signing, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

My priority signing would be a RW. We definitely need someone like Sancho, Chiesa, Pepe to improve our attack.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
so are we going to raid leceister? Maguire + Maddison + Tielmans ( well technically not)
No way Leicester sell Maguire and Maddison to us in my opinion. I'd be all for it though.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

A narrow 4-3-2-1 with fernandes and Maddison behind rashford

Dante

Average bang
To replace Pogba, I would prefer a goalscoring midfielder. Someone like Havertz (17 goals) or Fernandes (20 goals).

We can buy one of them and another midfielder like N'Domebele.

Maddison would be a good signing, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

My priority signing would be a RW. We definitely need someone like Sancho, Chiesa, Pepe to improve our attack.
Pogba and Maddison both scored 6 non-penalty goals last season. You wouldn't be losing out on much there.

Pogba got marginally more assists (9 to Maddison's 7) but actually made fewer key passes. It's arguable which is the more creative. Again, there's hardly anything between them.

That being said, Pogba had a couple of better seasons in Italy. But that's Italy... I'd take that period with a pinch of salt when judging his suitability to United.

I think the two of them are very similar offensively. The main difference between them is how they defend. Pogba plays deeper so gets a little more involved physically (though he's not very good at it), whereas Maddison works harder in a high press system.

More importantly for the current dressing room, Maddison is a United fan who would run through walls for the club, whereas Pogba can often be smiling and laughing in defeat. The latter doesn't have the never-say-die of a Fergie disciple.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Pogba and Maddison both scored 6 non-penalty goals last season. You wouldn't be losing out on much there.

Pogba got marginally more assists (9 to Maddison's 7) but actually made fewer key passes. Its arguable which is the more creative. Again, there's hardly anything between them.

I think the two of them are very similar offensively. The main difference between them is how they defend. Pogba plays deeper so gets a little more involved, whereas Maddison works harder in a high press system.

More importantly for the current dressing room, Maddison is a United fan who would run through walls for the club, whereas Pogba can often be smiling and laughing in defeat. He doesn't have the never-say-die of a Fergie disciple.
Agree with all of this. For me, they are similar in terms of their output but the difference in attitude and application is stark. I've always been Pogba's biggest advocate, even when he flirted with Real a few months back. But after his most recent comments it's crystal clear that he doesn't want to be there. Can't wait to get him out the door now and hopefully we can get Maddison as his replacement.

Hughie77

I think oles going all out for this Bruno F, he's the one I think he wants, Maddison, will come at a higher price I feel as well?
And Mata is still here as well?

Can see us getting a DM in if we get Bruno.?

Fer

Pogba got marginally more assists (9 to Maddison's 7) but actually made fewer key passes. It's arguable which is the more creative. Again, there's hardly anything between them.

That being said, Pogba had a couple of better seasons in Italy. But that's Italy... I'd take that period with a pinch of salt when judging his suitability to United.

I think the two of them are very similar offensively. The main difference between them is how they defend. Pogba plays deeper so gets a little more involved physically (though he's not very good at it), whereas Maddison works harder in a high press system.

More importantly for the current dressing room, Maddison is a United fan who would run through walls for the club, whereas Pogba can often be smiling and laughing in defeat. The latter doesn't have the never-say-die of a Fergie disciple.
Good points. Now I understand the hype about Maddison.

We definitely need players who would love to play for us, not just motivated for the high wages.

NJM78

Good points. Now I understand the hype about Maddison.

We definitely need players who would love to play for us, not just motivated for the high wages.
Great in theory. But I’d wager Leicester would want more money than Harry Maguire and no way are we paying 80/90m for James Maddison. Also stats show Martial is as clinical as Kane in front of goal and Josh King is better than Rashford. We missed the boat on Maddison in my opinion and we need to keep Pogba in that case as I do not see us signing anyone bar a non inspiring Longstaff type.

Fer

I think we are going to end up signing Maddison or Fernandes.

Any of them would be a big improvement in our attack. I just hope we don't sign one of them as Pogba replacement.

berbasloth4

i would take maddison over most midfielders. i messaged my leceister city fan after 1st game of season mate telling him maddison is a clinker one of the closest players to scholes i ever seen

Chairman Steve

So any updates from the previously mentioned Norwegian fans Facebook page? Have they changed their position or are they sticking to their guns about Maddison joining, going under the radar of reports?

Coops73

So any updates from the previously mentioned Norwegian fans Facebook page? Have they changed their position or are they sticking to their guns about Maddison joining, going under the radar of reports?
What’s that?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I'll read on their site. Not had anything to do with them, but think they have some contacts in the club, Cantona is even going to visit them soon.

Chairman Steve

What’s that?
Apparently some Facebook page for Utd fans in Norway claimed that Maddison was due to have a medical with Utd this Friday and no one in the mainstream media has picked up on it due to how stealthy its been carried out... and this Facebook page doesn’t just put out any old hearsay for shits and giggles or constant grand claims of being ITK.

It got posted in the transfer tweet thread. I’ll try and locate it then put it here for reference.

EDIT:
This Norwegian MUFC related facebook site say James Maddison had a medical on friday and will be presented this week. They never call transfers and are quite serious people who deals with United fan effects, travels etc. So for they to come with this suddenly is kind of weird. Sorry for the gossip, didnt know where to put it.

Last edited:

SATA

So what was the correct information? Is he due a medical this Friday or has he already had one last Friday? I don't buy it when it all contradicts one another

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
So what was the correct information? Is he due a medical this Friday or has he already had one last Friday? I don't buy it when it all contradicts one another
you haven't even made a bid, let alone had one accepted, so if he's having a medical we have you bang to rights regarding tapping up and the FA would issue a transfer ban

Status
Not open for further replies.