James Maddison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coops73

Apparently some Facebook page for Utd fans in Norway claimed that Maddison was due to have a medical with Utd this Friday and no one in the mainstream media has picked up on it due to how stealthy its been carried out... and this Facebook page doesn’t just put out any old hearsay for shits and giggles or constant grand claims of being ITK.

It got posted in the transfer tweet thread. I’ll try and locate it then put it here for reference.

EDIT:
Ok cheers. I like Maddison, so I’m all in.

GJNJ

you haven't even made a bid, let alone had one accepted, so if he's having a medical we have you bang to rights regarding tapping up and the FA would issue a transfer ban
I assume if its true (which it is almost certainly isn't) that if he were to have a medical he would had permission.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
you haven't even made a bid, let alone had one accepted, so if he's having a medical we have you bang to rights regarding tapping up and the FA would issue a transfer ban
If he's coming for a medical then they would have agreed something, not just going to ask him to just turn up are we.

Either way it's nonsense because nothings agreed and he's not having a medical.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
If he's coming for a medical then they would have agreed something, not just going to ask him to just turn up are we.

Either way it's nonsense because nothings agreed and he's not having a medical.
the most that would happen is his agent would be asked if he'd be interested, that is almost impossible to stop, anything more and you'd be in serious trouble

SATA

Exactly. It's all bollocks. Nothing goes quiet when United try to buy a player. Just look at the amount of coverage on AWB alone until it got done today. There is no way the press or media know nothing about it

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
You would know that they haven't?
there is no way a fee take to see us sell Maddison would be accepted and not get leaked by either club, someone reputable would know, so yes I do know they haven't or it would have been reported if it was at the medical stage

sherrinford

i would take maddison over most midfielders. i messaged my leceister city fan after 1st game of season mate telling him maddison is a clinker one of the closest players to scholes i ever seen
But he’s really not much like Scholes...

Jericholyte2

So that would hypothetically leave a CB, DM and RW to bring in:

———— De Gea ————
AWB—CB—Lindelof—Shaw
—Maddison—DM—Pogba
—RW—Rashford—Martial

Bestofthebest

What staggers me in all this about Maddison is that we didn't even check him out before he joined Leicester. We might not have progressed to buying him but we should have been looking at players like him.

I know someone will come on here and say " maybe we were monitoring him but did not rate him " or some such like. However, this sort of thing is happening and has happened a lot in the past. One example is Deli Alli scoring a couple of goals against us in the League Cup and then being snapped up by Spurs, although he is not the best player in the country he would come with a big price tag if he came on the market.

We only appear to be interested in someone if they have already made the grade and come with a hefty price tag, then moan we are being charged too much. As has been said many times on here our scouting system needs looking at root and branch. After all if they only recommend players who have already made it then it doesn't need a huge number of people to spot these.

GJNJ

there is no way a fee take to see us sell Maddison would be accepted and not get leaked by either club, someone reputable would know, so yes I do know they haven't or it would have been reported if it was at the medical stage
Yes it would unprecedented in this day and age, also what would be unprecedented is for us to have medicals players that don't have permission so it's a large leap to us receiving a transfer ban.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What staggers me in all this about Maddison is that we didn't even check him out before he joined Leicester. We might not have progressed to buying him but we should have been looking at players like him.

I know someone will come on here and say " maybe we were monitoring him but did not rate him " or some such like. However, this sort of thing is happening and has happened a lot in the past. One example is Deli Alli scoring a couple of goals against us in the League Cup and then being snapped up by Spurs, although he is not the best player in the country he would come with a big price tag if he came on the market.

We only appear to be interested in someone if they have already made the grade and come with a hefty price tag, then moan we are being charged too much. As has been said many times on here our scouting system needs looking at root and branch. After all if they only recommend players who have already made it then it doesn't need a huge number of people to spot these.
This same thinking could be applied to every other player in the league. Why didn't Spurs pursue Maddison? Why didn't City buy Alli? Why didn't Chelsea sign Robertson? Why didn't any of them for us foseriously compete with us for Pogba when he was 16?

Having watched him at Norwich a fair bit I thought Leicester would have been about his level (I believe I said so earlier this season) so it doesn't come as a surprise to me the top 6 didn't look to pick him up when Leicester did.

Patrick08

Just paper talk. I don't think this happens unless fernandes deal is collapsed.

Bestofthebest

This same thinking could be applied to every other player in the league. Why didn't Spurs pursue Maddison? Why didn't City buy Alli? Why didn't Chelsea sign Robertson? Why didn't any of them for us foseriously compete with us for Pogba when he was 16?

Having watched him at Norwich a fair bit I thought Leicester would have been about his level (I believe I said so earlier this season) so it doesn't come as a surprise to me the top 6 didn't look to pick him up when Leicester did.

I hear what you are saying but most of the teams you mention take a chance on an unknown at some stage and appear to strike lucky. You could argue Chelsea do it too often and are quite unsuccessful most of the time but do have some talented players in the league with other clubs. I'm not saying all these chances turn out to be good buys but we rarely sign any unknown who turns out to be a good un. Just makes it worse when we end up chasing them at daft money. Maguire is just another case in point when he was at Hull.

As for Pogba, I am not comparing youth players at other clubs although it would be nice to pick up a gem that way too. Inter were obviously watching Pogba then and virtually stole him from us eventually.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

We can only play eleven players whilst at the same time trying to be competitive. Thus the club cannot sign every young player. So what they do is let other clubs sign him, see how he does, then pay a premium to buy him if he is good enough.

ivaldo

I hear what you are saying but most of the teams you mention take a chance on an unknown at some stage and appear to strike lucky. You could argue Chelsea do it too often and are quite unsuccessful most of the time but do have some talented players in the league with other clubs. I'm not saying all these chances turn out to be good buys but we rarely sign any unknown who turns out to be a good un. Just makes it worse when we end up chasing them at daft money. Maguire is just another case in point when he was at Hull.

As for Pogba, I am not comparing youth players at other clubs although it would be nice to pick up a gem that way too. Inter were obviously watching Pogba then and virtually stole him from us eventually.
Who are the unknowns Liverpool and City have taken a punt on that are playing first team football for them?

Unfortunately, success is demanded immediately for the big clubs. Taking chances is seen as taking unnecessary risks.

davidmichael

So that would hypothetically leave a CB, DM and RW to bring in:

———— De Gea ————
AWB—CB—Lindelof—Shaw
—Maddison—DM—Pogba
—RW—Rashford—Martial
If we were to get Maguire, Rice and Sancho for those 3 positions I’d be very happy with this transfer window.

Bestofthebest

Who are the unknowns Liverpool and City have taken a punt on that are playing first team football for them?

Unfortunately, success is demanded immediately for the big clubs. Taking chances is seen as taking unnecessary risks.
Liverpool took a punt on Andrew Robertson when he was at Hull. Just look at him now.
City are more likely to try their hand abroad and pick up the likes of Jesus but don't rule them out of going for a player from other PL teams if someone takes their fancy.

ivaldo

Liverpool took a punt on Andrew Robertson when he was at Hull. Just look at him now.
City are more likely to try their hand abroad and pick up the likes of Jesus but don't rule them out of going for a player from other PL teams if someone takes their fancy.
He’s not an unknown. He was already playing in the Premier League. How much did they spend on Jesus? He was hot property. None of these are comparable.

Bestietom

If we were to get Maguire, Rice and Sancho for those 3 positions I’d be very happy with this transfer window.
I would be.happy with .
Milenkovic...45 million
Partey..........45 million
Fernandes...60 million
150 million total.
Great start to rebuild.

poleglass red

He’s not an unknown. He was already playing in the Premier League. How much did they spend on Jesus? He was hot property. None of these are comparable.
Robertson definitely was a punt, he wasn't an unknown, but he'd been championship, pl then his team relegated in 1st season back. He was bought as back up to Moreno and didn't start getting games until Dec in his 1st season, and that was only due to injury. He certainly wasn't bought as someone who they imagined would be an immediate success

ivaldo

Robertson definitely was a punt, he wasn't an unknown, but he'd been championship, pl then his team relegated in 1st season back. He was bought as back up to Moreno and didn't start getting games until Dec in his 1st season, and that was only due to injury. He certainly wasn't bought as someone who they imagined would be an immediate success
The point being made was that we don’t buy unknowns; Robertson certainly doesn’t fall into that category.

poleglass red

The point being made was that we don’t buy unknowns; Robertson certainly doesn’t fall into that category.
Technically he wasn't an unknown as he'd just played a season in Pl but I know a lot of Liverpool fans who hadn't a clue who he was when he signed. They took one look at his club record and assumed automatically, as he was initially, a backup/squad player. . I still see some fans wanting the so called finished article. At least now we seem to be moving away from that, whether that's Ole or the Glazer's not wanting to fund huge transfer deals anymore, possibly a bit if both

ivaldo

Technically he wasn't an unknown as he'd just played a season in Pl but I know a lot of Liverpool fans who hadn't a clue who he was when he signed. They took one look at his club record and assumed automatically, as he was initially, a backup/squad player. . I still see some fans wanting the so called finished article. At least now we seem to be moving away from that, whether that's Ole or the Glazer's not wanting to fund huge transfer deals anymore, possibly a bit if both
Thing is, someone like Dalot is far more of an unknown than Robertson was at the time of his purchase. Where are the examples of the other clubs picking unknowns that we’ve been missing out on?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Getting back to James Maddison, this is a player I would like to see at United, tends to play on the left of midfield, so for that reason I don't think we would put an offer in unless Pogba is definitely on his way (which I would like to see by the way), he can then just slot into that position. Bags of potential, and, to me, a future captain.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Getting back to James Maddison, this is a player I would like to see at United, tends to play on the left of midfield, so for that reason I don't think we would put an offer in unless Pogba is definitely on his way (which I would like to see by the way), he can then just slot into that position. Bags of potential, and, to me, a future captain.
I'd still pogba in a second to get this guy. He looks the real deal.

Fer

We could play Pogba and Maddison in the same team with a 442 (diamond) formation. But we would still need a CDM.

Spaghetti

Mom's

Dele Alli?!! He’s a terrible football player. He had good stats a few years ago, but I’ve seen lots of games that he’s played in and I hadn’t even realised that he was playing.

I agree with your general point though and for what it’s worth (not much) I’d be all for signing Maddison.

kaiser00

I agree with potential captain material and a Utd fan to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kentish

Maddison just oozes class to me since the 1st time I watched time, would be a really good signing IMO. Problem is Leicester would probably want £75m.

If we end up signing Fernandes over Maddison he'd better be fecking incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dante

Average bang
This Norwegian MUFC related facebook site say James Maddison had a medical on friday and will be presented this week. They never call transfers and are quite serious people who deals with United fan effects, travels etc. So for they to come with this suddenly is kind of weird. Sorry for the gossip, didnt know where to put it.
Have they come up with an excuse for their bullshitting yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.