James Maddison

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

It’s an educated guess I would say. Conclusions based on what I have seen during the transfer window
Tbf it's one thing to say that our transfer strategy has been mostly (but not exclusively) focused on British players and another thing to say it's all down to OGS.

Worth remembering that we tried to sign Dybala too.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s an educated guess I would say. Conclusions based on what I have seen during the transfer window
I wouldn't say we are. I'd say more than anything we are trying to move away from Hollywood signings and look at those that genuinely want to move to the club / will improve the squad. We tried getting Dybala and he isn't British.

Sky12

Supports
Chelsea
Use player to reduce the fee.

Leicester will probably ask us 80M minimum for him.

We should add Jones or Smalling in the transfer, but we need this type of player if we want to have one day a chance to win a match again.
This is not the premier league of old you know. What makes you think they will want your cast offs. Do you not this if this was a possiblity, it would have been done when they sold you Harry.

Its debated if your squad is even better than theirs and your think the will let you take their best player and take all your undesirables to lower the fee. His English, playing in the premier league in a very good club. They dont have any reason to want to sell so they will ask for close to what Sanho will go for if not more because they are richer than Dortmund and if you want him, you will have to pay. Else you dont get him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Swap him with Lingard, maybe he'll have more luck or I'm not really interested in him. Would be stupid to have them both at the club at the same time, and certainly not worth.. 80m? No.

Yagami

Good post resistant
£80M? wtf? :houllier:
I think that'd be around the going price when you factor in:
  • Leicester don't need and probably wouldn't want to sell
  • We (United) seen to have to constantly pay over the odds for most players
  • At 22/23 he's already one of the best playmakers in the league, and he'll probably only get better
If he has a season as good as last year - or better - which I think is likely, that'll have to be taken into consideration, too, but, right now, that's just hypothetical.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I think that'd be around the going price when you factor in:
  • Leicester don't need and probably wouldn't want to sell
  • We (United) seen to have to constantly pay over the odds for most players
  • At 22/23 he's already one of the best playmakers in the league, and he'll probably only get better
If he has a season as good as last year - or better - which I think is likely, that'll have to be taken into consideration, too, but, right now, that's just hypothetical.
Premier league clubs do not have to sell their homegrown talent cheaply anymore with so much TV money being handed out. We saw it with Wan-Bissaka & Maguire this Summer with mid-table clubs holding out for top dollar. I hope Maddison doesn't leave but I can't see Leicester selling cheaply.

Grande

If I could I would but United are too much in my heart. I promised myself not to watch many games this year but here I am moving holidays around so I don't miss games.

I don't understand why you enjoy following United at the moment. Do you love seeing the team decline, united managers ruining their career here and top players leaving or wanting to leave because we are basically shit?
I don’t view things the way you do. I see a more mixed picture, some things I truly dislike (much of it connected to our owners) and there are plenty of things to like about it.

I don’t know if it’s any use to name any of them now, because I’ve seen you write so many, many posts trying to refute all of them, or ignore them and focus on the bad shit (or just blanket statements to the effect that everything is shit). Frankly it serves the effect that it’s a struggle to keep the hope necessary to enjoy football at all. It does get to me after skimming a few hundred posts of ‘everything is shit’. So I ponder about withdrawing from the Chatworld. Would you go on a cruise where half the other passengers are clinically depressed? I’ve been down myself and often had friends with depression, it’s human to sometimes lose sight of anything good or meaningful. But realistically, it’s not very healthy to stay for two long in places were the depressive outnumber you. It sucks the life energy out of you.

To me, if absolutely everything about something is shit, I guess it’s natural to hang around for a while hoping it will just magically pass, but after a while, I would hope to realize that shit will come from shit, so either I start looking for the things that can actually grow into something else because it is actually not shit. Or it’s better to find another corner of life were everything isn’t shit.

There are of course those who are overly dramatical, or have taken upon them a role in a play, who even if they quite like some of what they see, they’ll not mention it, but stick to opening their mouth when they see something that might be shit. These people drain the life energy out of me and I can’t really respect them, because they are not full of shit, they just chose to reserve all their shit for me and other people.

But if you’re not one of them, I seriously suggest to you to find something that is not all shit to plan your holidays around. Not that I have any business to advice you, mind. Though I wouldn’t say this if it wasn’t true that you actually negatively impact my joy of watching United.

I might better follow my own advice and take a break from this digital place.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don’t view things the way you do. I see a more mixed picture, some things I truly dislike (much of it connected to our owners) and there are plenty of things to like about it.

I don’t know if it’s any use to name any of them now, because I’ve seen you write so many, many posts trying to refute all of them, or ignore them and focus on the bad shit (or just blanket statements to the effect that everything is shit). Frankly it serves the effect that it’s a struggle to keep the hope necessary to enjoy football at all. It does get to me after skimming a few hundred posts of ‘everything is shit’. So I ponder about withdrawing from the Chatworld. Would you go on a cruise where half the other passengers are clinically depressed? I’ve been down myself and often had friends with depression, it’s human to sometimes lose sight of anything good or meaningful. But realistically, it’s not very healthy to stay for two long in places were the depressive outnumber you. It sucks the life energy out of you.

To me, if absolutely everything about something is shit, I guess it’s natural to hang around for a while hoping it will just magically pass, but after a while, I would hope to realize that shit will come from shit, so either I start looking for the things that can actually grow into something else because it is actually not shit. Or it’s better to find another corner of life were everything isn’t shit.

There are of course those who are overly dramatical, or have taken upon them a role in a play, who even if they quite like some of what they see, they’ll not mention it, but stick to opening their mouth when they see something that might be shit. These people drain the life energy out of me and I can’t really respect them, because they are not full of shit, they just chose to reserve all their shit for me and other people.

But if you’re not one of them, I seriously suggest to you to find something that is not all shit to plan your holidays around. Not that I have any business to advice you, mind. Though I wouldn’t say this if it wasn’t true that you actually negatively impact my joy of watching United.

I might better follow my own advice and take a break from this digital place.
I consider myself a cynical realistic. While I do believe there's some talent in the academy I don't think we're at the cusp of another class of 92 and even if we had such talent I am certain that Ole would rather play his experienced heads (ex Jesse) to some rookie. The only positive thing I can see at the moment is that we are actually playing some entertaining football. Ole brought some life to our game which I do respect.

Apart from that, I think the club is being managed poorly from top to bottom. That include Ole whose outdated and romantic views about having British cores etc will cost us loads of money and time which the club will be reluctant to pay & give. I would have hoped that Ole would have gone for talent which is universal rather then nationality especially since we seem to have to operate on a limited budget. The so called British core had always been here (Jones, Rashy, Lingards, Smalling, Shaw etc) and we're struggling in terms of results, work rate and talent while City doesn't have this British core and they are just doing fine without it.

I've been here for far long then you are and prior to that I used (and still attend) a local supporters club were I was introduced by my cousin as a kid. I remember the club at the beginning of its heights, at its peak and at its decline. From my experience the top reds are the first ones to leave. That's because they feed from optimism and results, something a badly managed club like ours doesn't provide. Us, miserable old goats on the other hand, will keep supporting the club even if we kick and scream about it. It might be unhealthy to do so but we're still here even when others aren't. I guess that's what real support is ie sticking to the club when it doesn't fill you with optimism, hope and trophies.

If you leave I will miss your posts. You're a nice guy after all. However don't blame me for leaving and certainly don't expect me to change the way I post. I wouldn't ask that from you or anybody else. Ah and I almost forgot. Don't let football effect your mental state either. As a new father myself I assure you everything (work, hobbies etc) pales in comparison to family

Last edited:

Grande

I consider myself a cynical realistic. While I do believe there's some talent in the academy I don't think we're at the cusp of another class of 92 and even if we had such talent I am certain that Ole would rather play his experienced heads (ex Jesse) to some rookie. The only positive thing I can see at the moment is that we are actually playing some entertaining football. Ole brought some life to our game which I do respect.

Apart from that, I think the club is being managed poorly from top to bottom. That include Ole whose outdated and romantic views about having British cores etc will cost us loads of money and time which the club will be reluctant to pay & give. I would have hoped that Ole would have gone for talent which is universal rather then nationality especially since we seem to have to operate on a limited budget. The so called British core had always been here (Jones, Rashy, Lingards, Smalling, Shaw etc) and we're struggling in terms of results, work rate and talent while City doesn't have this British core and they are just doing fine without it.

I've been here for far long then you are and prior to that I used (and still attend) a local supporters club were I was introduced by my cousin as a kid. I remember the club at the beginning of its heights, at its peak and at its decline. From my experience the top reds are the first ones to leave. That's because they feed from optimism and results, something a badly managed club like ours doesn't provide. Us, miserable old goats on the other hand, will keep supporting the club even if we kick and scream about it. It might be unhealthy to do so but we're still here even when others aren't. I guess that's what real support is ie sticking to the club when it doesn't fill you with optimism, hope and trophies.

If you leave I will miss your posts. You're a nice guy after all. However don't blame me for leaving and certainly don't expect me to change the way I post. I wouldn't ask that from you or anybody else. Ah and I almost forgot. Don't let football effect your mental state either. As a new father myself I assure you everything (work, hobbies etc) pales in comparison to family
I appreciate the elaborate answer on your background, and certainly won’t pertain to be a top red or anything like that. I’ve followed United frantically since I was 8, under Dave Sexton, but never been too much connected to any supporter’s group. Every supporter have their own trajectory, which is fair. United’s results, or play, has never made me consider quitting the club, and it’s been much worse before than it is now. Neither would you, of course. But the way some fans deal with bad streches, or disillusionment, or uncertainty, sometimes put me off sitting around listening to it.

Have you ever wondered if ‘acting a miserable old goat’ (not my words) might be part of the reason some fans quit - not necessarily the club, but maybe a forum or local supporter’s club branch?

I think almost every football fan feeds of some kind of hope or optimism to a degree, and the most continually disappointed fans feed from an unrealistic hope that makes all regress or progress seem a grey mess because it’s all so far from the (optimistic) expectation.

Regardless, we both have our rights to be the kind of people we want and fans we want. I think you should be aware of though, as you probably are, that commenting only the bad and not the good continually, will both drain the ability of others to feel the joy that is part of football in good and bad times, and will at times make it difficult to take your posts seriously, if they seem merely one dimensional (unlike your last post). You do affect other people, even if it’s just an internet forum. Particularly as you are one of the mainstays around.

Scholsey2004

I'd like us to sign Madison but we should be looking at these lads before they hit the premier League. Jarrod Bowen is the next big thing in the championship. We should be looking to snap him up before he makes the jump and his value rockets.

devilish

I appreciate the elaborate answer on your background, and certainly won’t pertain to be a top red or anything like that. I’ve followed United frantically since I was 8, under Dave Sexton, but never been too much connected to any supporter’s group. Every supporter have their own trajectory, which is fair. United’s results, or play, has never made me consider quitting the club, and it’s been much worse before than it is now. Neither would you, of course. But the way some fans deal with bad streches, or disillusionment, or uncertainty, sometimes put me off sitting around listening to it.

Have you ever wondered if ‘acting a miserable old goat’ (not my words) might be part of the reason some fans quit - not necessarily the club, but maybe a forum or local supporter’s club branch?

I think almost every football fan feeds of some kind of hope or optimism to a degree, and the most continually disappointed fans feed from an unrealistic hope that makes all regress or progress seem a grey mess because it’s all so far from the (optimistic) expectation.

Regardless, we both have our rights to be the kind of people we want and fans we want. I think you should be aware of though, as you probably are, that commenting only the bad and not the good continually, will both drain the ability of others to feel the joy that is part of football in good and bad times, and will at times make it difficult to take your posts seriously, if they seem merely one dimensional (unlike your last post). You do affect other people, even if it’s just an internet forum. Particularly as you are one of the mainstays around.
Well I never cared what others think about me or how I am perceived tbh. I appreciate that while we might have differing opinions we all support the club the best way we know. Hence why I try to respect other people's opinions as much as I want others to respect mine. In fact I had never added anyone on ignore (actually I had one on ignore and that was because he who was hunting me down and constantly insulting my family, there again I removed that ignore after a week or so) and I respect people enough to spend some decent effort to answer each and every reply even though that might cause me problems with the mods (ie diverting from the main subject)

Having said that, while I do focus on the bad things especially at a time when there's really little to cheer about, I do appreciate the positive things going on. Its just that I don't feel they are interesting enough to keep posting about them. I mean, can you imagine, constantly saying that we're playing attractive football? People will start thinking Im taking the mick.

Anyone my advice is this. Never let football to negative affect your life especially now that football has become a business rather then anything else. Ultimately most of the people at clubs from CEO to 99.9% of all coaching staff/players only care about their salary or their dividends. Don't think I am some sort of expert in doing that. Believe me, I am the last person suited to give you that advice as I struggle with it myself. What really matters is you and your family.

Grande

Well I never cared what others think about me or how I am perceived tbh. I appreciate that while we might have differing opinions we all support the club the best way we know. Hence why I try to respect other people's opinions as much as I want others to respect mine. In fact I had never added anyone on ignore (actually I had one on ignore and that was because he who was hunting me down and constantly insulting my family, there again I removed that ignore after a week or so) and I respect people enough to spend some decent effort to answer each and every reply even though that might cause me problems with the mods (ie diverting from the main subject)

Having said that, while I do focus on the bad things especially at a time when there's really little to cheer about, I do appreciate the positive things going on. Its just that I don't feel they are interesting enough to keep posting about them. I mean, can you imagine, constantly saying that we're playing attractive football? People will start thinking Im taking the mick.

Anyone my advice is this. Never let football to negative affect your life especially now that football has become a business rather then anything else. Ultimately most of the people at clubs from CEO to 99.9% of all coaching staff/players only care about their salary or their dividends. Don't think I am some sort of expert in doing that. Believe me, I am the last person suited to give you that advice as I struggle with it myself. What really matters is you and your family.
I’m not so sure about that (the part in bold, not the family part). Besides, I thought you weren’t one to care what others think ;)

Well, i just think taking the good with the bad is as important as taking the bad with the good, or the nuances disappear. After all, the devil is in the detail. Though I’ll not let this forum drag me down. Take care, you too. :)

On topic - a player who can’t get a game over Jesse Lingard for England? I’m sceptical if he’s worth the Leicester price.

devilish

I’m not so sure about that (the part in bold, not the family part). Besides, I thought you weren’t one to care what others think ;)

Well, i just think taking the good with the bad is as important as taking the bad with the good, or the nuances disappear. After all, the devil is in the detail. Though I’ll not let this forum drag me down. Take care, you too. :)

On topic - a player who can’t get a game over Jesse Lingard for England? I’m sceptical if he’s worth the Leicester price.
I don't care but mods probably will and I tend to try to avoid bans :)

I really hope you reconsider your decision of leaving. You're a good poster, way better then I am tbh.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Great on the turn and a very competent passer. Doubt we’ll go for him though.

Grande

I don't care but mods probably will and I tend to try to avoid bans :)

I really hope you reconsider your decision of leaving. You're a good poster, way better then I am tbh.
Haha, flatter will get you nowhere... well, I haven’t quit yet, but will see how it pans out. The week after a loss, I try to stay away from here.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Transfers will soon be a thing of the past. Leicester would want 100m for him. It's got to that point now.

Be just loans and players running down deals soon enough.

devilish

Haha, flatter will get you nowhere... well, I haven’t quit yet, but will see how it pans out. The week after a loss, I try to stay away from here.
I don't flatter people mate. I am absolutely blunt which is my biggest problem

dbs235

Last season, yeah. Lingard had just had a good world cup for England and it was Maddison's breakthrough season in the Premier League, he was a key part of the England under-21 team and they'd have wanted him in the side for the under-21 tournament. He's expected to be named in the upcoming England squad and to be honest I think Lingard will find his place in the squad under threat this season. Maddison, Mount and perhaps Foden will be his new competition.

Sp00ks11

He is worth 80 million to us. This forum never seems to learn, I remember you all saying Kane is a 1 season wonder and not worth 40 million :lol: it was clear as day Kane was world class and it's clear as day Maddison is on the right trajectory to also be a TOP player. Half the forum complained VVD at 75 million was way overpriced, look how much he has changed Liverpool, none of their fans complain about that fee!

And just this summer half the forum were complaining about paying 80 million for Maguire, by the end of this season nobody will mention that fee either.

Alemar

Isn’t Angel Gomes meant to play the same position as Madisson does?

Grande

He is worth 80 million to us. This forum never seems to learn, I remember you all saying Kane is a 1 season wonder and not worth 40 million :lol: it was clear as day Kane was world class and it's clear as day Maddison is on the right trajectory to also be a TOP player. Half the forum complained VVD at 75 million was way overpriced, look how much he has changed Liverpool, none of their fans complain about that fee!

And just this summer half the forum were complaining about paying 80 million for Maguire, by the end of this season nobody will mention that fee either.
Possibly. I’m not dismissive of Maddison, who is young. I’m sceptical though, having seen people claim Leicesters midfield are miles better than ours individually, barring Pogba, yet when I see them play, they dominate less than we do most of the times.

TheHeya

We’re gonna regret not signing this fella for less than £100m this year. Will cost and arm and a leg next summer after he has a good Euros.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We’re gonna regret not signing this fella for less than £100m this year. Will cost and arm and a leg next summer after he has a good Euros.
Do you reckon Leicester would've let Maguire and Maddison come in one season though? I don't think they would personally.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Do you reckon Leicester would've let Maguire and Maddison come in one season though? I don't think they would personally.
we've only lost 1 first team player a season since the title win
Maddison is currently Leicester best player, and was their player of season last season, you think they would be happy to sell him for 50m? I think their asking price would be between 80m-90m again, they don’t really need to sell him for more money.

Sancho - 120m or more
Maddison - 80m or more

It will take us at least 200m to get them both.
Maddison wasn't our player of the season Ricardo was, Ricardo got players player too, Maddison did get young player I believe

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Possibly. I’m not dismissive of Maddison, who is young. I’m sceptical though, having seen people claim Leicesters midfield are miles better than ours individually, barring Pogba, yet when I see them play, they dominate less than we do most of the times.
I guess we will find out very soon. Man Utd vs Leicester on 9-14. Let's guess which team will sit back and play counter in this game?

Devil may care

The prices for him being talked about n here are luidcrous, yet sadly probaby not too far from the truth.

Grande

I guess we will find out very soon. Man Utd vs Leicester on 9-14. Let's guess which team will sit back and play counter in this game?
I’m more interested in which midfield will succeed in implementing their tactic, setting up attack well and protecting their defence well, wether they do it sitting back or pressing high, possesion or direct attack. I have hopes for us, but it’s going to be a tough one.

Macedonian Red

One more overrated british talent. He is better than Lingard but is he better or have a potential to be better than De Bruyne, Silva's, Eriksen etc? I dont think so.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
One more overrated british talent. He is better than Lingard but is he better or have a potential to be better than De Bruyne, Silva's, Eriksen etc? I dont think so.
It is very hard to get to the level of De Bruyne and Silva, let alone better than that, and for 80m. You probably need to look else where.

I’m more interested in which midfield will succeed in implementing their tactic, setting up attack well and protecting their defence well, wether they do it sitting back or pressing high, possesion or direct attack. I have hopes for us, but it’s going to be a tough one.
I think it is a fair expectation to expect a team that has way higher wages and budget to control the game and attack the opponent, rather than sit back and counter.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

I'd like us to sign Madison but we should be looking at these lads before they hit the premier League. Jarrod Bowen is the next big thing in the championship. We should be looking to snap him up before he makes the jump and his value rockets.
What type of player is he?

AFC NimbleThumb

This Maddison case is all too familiar, he pulled up trees at Norwich.

Hopefully the James signing is a sign we’re finally looking to get them at the cheaper stage of their development. [or maybe it’s just a favour to Giggsy.

lsd

The Oracle
I can us being interested but Leicester will want to really take us to the cleaners if we pursue it

AP88

Supports
Man City
I’m shocked Phelan hasn’t pushed for his signing after working with him at Hull. Technically miles better than James.

What type of player is he?
Inverting left-footed right winger, with good ball control and an eye for goal.

Isn’t Angel Gomes meant to play the same position as Madisson does?
Yep. Much higher ceiling too.

Find him grossly overrated off the 5 Leicester games I've seen.
His elegant style makes him look better than he actually is, like Grealish. David Brooks would be a far better signing, and I think Todd Cantwell at Norwich will eclipse the aforementioned two in terms of reputation by the end of the season; the kid reminds me of Modric.

Dennis Praet will be universally accepted as Leicester’s best midfielder by the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.