James McClean: 'Does being abused for being Irish and anti Irish abuse acceptable?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Thought this was an interesting article. The abuse he gets every November is bad enough, but every week must be horrendous.

James McClean has hit out at the English football authorities for their lack of action in response to the persistent anti-Irish racism he suffers.

Earlier this month the Republic of Ireland international revealed the sickening abuse he has received in a birthday card. He posted a picture of the card on social media. It included vitriolic references to Hitler and Bloody Sunday as well as lengthy personal abuse.

It is just the latest in a persistent stream of abuse sent towards the Derryman and as for as he is concerned, the FA's silence on the matter has been telling.

"Do you want the god’s honest truth? They are a bunch of cowards, the footballing authorities. A bunch of hypocrites. Sterling is this and that. A hero and getting awards. What I get week in, week out, compared to what he’s got in one week, one game? For the last seven, eight years there hasn’t been a word. They are a bunch of hypocrites. A bunch of cowards."

McClean has been a target for a number of years due to well-documented political reasons and his choice not to wear the poppy. He maintains he's used to it now and his only motivation in posting the card was to expose contrast in responses.

"Like I said the last seven, eight years, for me it is just water off a duck's back. The reason I put it up is to highlight the fact if I wasn’t a white Irish guy there would’ve been something bigger. I was right in doing that because there was still nothing. It proved my point right.

Again, to put it bluntly. I'm a white Irish man. That doesn’t matter to them. The same thing happened to Neil Lennon, he gets abused about being Irish and no one does anything. The proof is in the pudding. You’re a white Irishman, nothing changes."

The 30-year-old is calm and articulate throughout. It's not so much anger as it is acceptance. 'It is what it is,' he mutters with an emotionless expression.

He is quick to point out if he was in Dubai, they wouldn't force him to wear a Burka. Why should England try and impose their principles on him? He's not asking for any special treatment, just the standard one.

"It’s pretty clear what has to change it. What they are doing with the whole Sterling thing. Don’t be a hypocrite, do it for whatever kind. Racism, sectarianism it is all the same. Discrimination. Back up the talk."

https://www.balls.ie/football/james-mcclean-abuse-cowards-411461

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
He's correct. Anti Irish rethoric is laughed at in England as just "banter" compared to other forms of racism. You're told to stop whining when its brought up.

matt23

So Lennon being abused in Scottish football by Scottish football supporters and a lack of action by the Scottish Fa is presumably the English Fa's fault because they've got coasy with Sterling recently?

I think there might be a chip resting on this lads shoulder somewhere.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
So Lennon being abused in Scottish football by Scottish football supporters and a lack of action by the Scottish Fa is presumably the English Fa's fault because they've got coasy with Sterling recently?

I think there might be a chip resting on this lads shoulder somewhere.
He was probably talking about Lennon's time as a player for Leicester city.

matt23

He was probably talking about Lennon's time as a player for Leicester city.
I could be wrong but I'm 99% sure I've heard Lennon talk about the abuse he's received and specifically mention that it was never as much of an issue when he's been working in England.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Good man James for speaking out on those cretins at the FA.

I find that it's a white people thing in general, that people can say whatever they like to us and we're supposed to just take it. When do you hear of white people complaining of racism?

Dante

Average bang

I find that it's a white people thing in general, that people can say whatever they like to us and we're supposed to just take it. When do you hear of white people complaining of racism?
Here:

Reddy Rederson

Quite a lot, and its usually laughable.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Two points:

1) McClean is right. He does get racist abuse and it does get treated differently because he's a white Irishman.

2) McClean's specific background is seeing him get that racist abuse, not the fact that he's white. It isn't something that applies to white people generally and most white people who complain about people being racist to them are indeed whiney twats.

Josep Dowling

Two points:

1) McClean is right. He does get racist abuse and it does get treated differently because he's a white Irishman.

2) McClean's specific background is seeing him get that racist abuse, not the fact that he's white. It isn't something that applies to white people generally and most white people who complain about people being racist to them are indeed whiney twats.
Why does he get abused as a white Irishmen but plenty of other Irish players would never get the same abuse?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why does he get abused as a white Irishmen but plenty of other Irish players would never get the same abuse?
Because McClean (and Lennon) are specifically from a white, Northern-Irish, nationalist background, as opposed to most players who we might describe simply as white Irishmen. The context surrounding them is very different to the context surrounding, say, Seamus Coleman.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The FA has to come clean on this

fps

The last 7 or 8 years versus your whole life in your own country are quite different things.

It leaves a bad taste that he's brought Sterling into this, rather than stated his case and his own thing.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not a fan of him as a footballer, but if he suffers from direct attacks then there's absolutely no ground to ignore his situation.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
I feel a bit sorry for McClean to be honest, because I think he's absolutely within his rights to not wear a poppy, as is anyone. No-one should be forced to wear a poppy or it loses all meaning. I'm absolutely fed up with fetishising of the poppy over the last 10 years or so, it never used to be like this. It feels like a conflation of the military with a kind of faux patriotism and national pride, where in the past it was just a respectful remembrance of people who sacrificed everything.

On McClean specifically, sometimes he comes across as quite an angry bloke, but then I can't hope to be able to understand his background and upbringing so I wouldn't judge him too much for that. He probably hasn't help himself with some of his social media posts, which have at times been rather more disrespectful than respectful, but obviously he gets provoked a lot. If people read some of his more thought out statements (like the one in this thread) then hopefully they'd be able to understand his perspective and respect his views.

Ideally he should be able to respectfully not take part in any of this poppy stuff without receiving abuse.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ok, I think conflating the white with the Irish is a little rich. The Irish have a long and brutal history of being repressed by the English and have every right to complain. White people in general do not have that history, so have much less of a right to complain.

Other than that very important distinction, I fully agree with him. Nationalism is a scourge on our society and there's ample, bloody evidence of where this road goes. The FA are pathetic for not backing him up and the people abusing him should be arrested, just as they would be for any other hate crime (probably). Ultimately though, they are the same elite who use nationalism to divide people, they don't give a shit about any of it unless our racist newspapers kick up a fuss.

Stacks

It’s racism by UK law.
As the son of 2 solicitors I am interested to see you quote this law as being Irish is not a race.
Two points:

Again, what is his ethnic background got to do with this? I thought it was about where he is raised as opposed to his white skin. It's not like the fans are calling him offensive things like "mayonnaise man" or something stupid.
Poppy thing I believe
Because McClean (and Lennon) are specifically from a white, Northern-Irish, nationalist background, as opposed to most players who we might describe simply as white Irishmen. The context surrounding them is very different to the context surrounding, say, Seamus Coleman.
Thought it was because he refused the poppy wearing

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Ok, I think conflating the white with the Irish is a little rich. The Irish have a long and brutal history of being repressed by the English and have every right to complain. White people in general do not have that history, so have much less of a right to complain.

Other than that very important distinction, I fully agree with him. Nationalism is a scourge on our society and there's ample, bloody evidence of where this road goes. The FA are pathetic for not backing him up and the people abusing him should be arrested, just as they would be for any other hate crime (probably). Ultimately though, they are the same elite who use nationalism to divide people, they don't give a shit about any of it unless our racist newspapers kick up a fuss.
I'm on McClean's side here, but isn't his position also being driven by his sense of his own nationalism (just like the people abusing him)? Agree with you though, nationalism is ultimately unhealthy and divisive on all sides when it's used (and abused) this way.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As the son of 2 solicitors I am interested to see you quote this law as being Irish is not a race.

Again, what is his ethnic background got to do with this? I thought it was about where he is raised as opposed to his white skin. It's not like the fans are calling him offensive things like "mayonnaise man" or something stupid.

Poppy thing I believe

Thought it was because he refused the poppy wearing
I don't think the fact that he's white has anything to do with why he's being abused but it does have something to do with why the abuse isn't highlighted more imo.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm on McClean's side here, but isn't his position also being driven by his sense of his own nationalism (just like the people abusing him)? Agree with you though, nationalism is ultimately unhealthy and divisive on all sides when it's used (and abused) this way.
I don't know him so I don't know. It might well be why he's taking a stand. And tbh, if there is a right or wrong side in the Troubles, I'd definitely come down on the Irish side of it. But ultimately, standing up for your country or people is an admirable quality to a point. When you're screaming abuse at someone who hasn't done anything, sending death threats and the like, you just need help. A lot of very nice people in the UK have been radicalised by English nationalism, and it's scary. It's driven by a correct but misplaced sense of injustice. They're right that society doesn't value them, but that's not because of foreigners, it's because of our own corrupt ruling class. The likes of Rees Mogg, Johnson, Piers Morgan etc wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire.

Classical Mechanic

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
I don't know him so I don't know. It might well be why he's taking a stand. And tbh, if there is a right or wrong side in the Troubles, I'd definitely come down on the Irish side of it. But ultimately, standing up for your country or people is an admirable quality to a point. When you're screaming abuse at someone who hasn't done anything, sending death threats and the like, you just need help. A lot of very nice people in the UK have been radicalised by English nationalism, and it's scary. It's driven by a correct but misplaced sense of injustice. They're right that society doesn't value them, but that's not because of foreigners, it's because of our own corrupt ruling class. The likes of Rees Mogg, Johnson, Piers Morgan etc wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire.
Yea fair enough. Obviously can't put myself in his situation either, but I'd also imagine your sense of nationalism/national pride would be stronger if you'd been the victim of/directly affected by nationalist-based injustice (i.e. the Troubles). So totally understand his perspective if that's the case.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
I don't think the fact that he's white has anything to do with why he's being abused but it does have something to do with why the abuse isn't highlighted more imo.
This is it exactly. It's not abuse "because" he's white, but because he is white it's not seen as particularly serious or even real. It's a much bigger issue up here in Scotland, where anti Irish/anti Catholic attitudes are deeply ingrained in a large chunk of society but it's never considered worth talking about because they aren't black or Asian or whatever. A person who would never dream of screaming hateful abuse at a black player will happily scream the same level of abuse at an Irish player and it's barely considered serious.

Josep Dowling

If I played football professionally I would probably suffer the same abuse. I'm from the same background.
I’m not sure you would. I’m not saying the abuse is right but both McClean and Lennon don’t come across very well as people so they get targeted with ‘easy’ abuse about their background.

Champagne Football

James McClean is an Irish version of Wayne Rooney. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you walked into a bar full of English hooligans and started singing and shouting 'The English are losers and clowns'... Then it probably wouldn't end well. When in Rome.....
McClean maybe could have found a better more respectful way politely declining the request to sing God save the Queen, instead of looking to the ground like he's in disgust. It was never going to end well for him. He should try and engineer a move to the Bundesliga or something if he's not happy to follow the customs and traditions in England.

I feel he's genuinely a very big hearted guy. Just not too bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.