James McClean: 'Does being abused for being Irish and anti Irish abuse acceptable?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie_ni

He's not wrong though is he?

It is soil in Northern Ireland and on the island of Ireland. You would need to be pretty bitter and insecure to get offended by a turn of phrase like that in my opinion. It seems to be more to do with people just wanting to get riled up because of who said it than the actual phrase itself.
Do you think those irish people who got offended at laura davies calling lowry (British or one of our own - not exactly sure what she said as i missed it) are bitter and insecure as well then?

Both are wrong and i can see why both got some riled up.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
This is where i am at.
I agree totally with you, i don’t think unless you live in NI and experience the divisiveness that exists in NI in a lot of aspects of daily life, sport, politics, society you simply can’t understand it. How petty and how much bullshit goes on, is quite spectacular, not much has changed TBH, deep seeded hatred and bigotry is still rife.

stevoc

Well if you don’t see what McLean is saying, given his history, it’s quite naive. No one is being insecure or offended.
I'm not so sure mate see below, check out his Twitter. If no one was offended then it wouldn't be an issue but here we are discussing it.

It's just a turn of phrase that anyone could say about any country. If someone had said it was British soil it would be the same thing, as i said only insecure people would get offended by a comment like that.

Im hardly "triggered". Id like to lowry hold on to win it. Someone on my timeline retweeted it.

If you read the replies you can clearly see how its riled some. He had to know it would get that reaction when he tweeted it though.

arnie_ni

I agree totally with you, i don’t think unless you live in NI and experience the divisiveness that exists in NI in a lot of aspects of daily life, sport, politics, society you simply can’t understand it. How petty and how much bullshit goes on, is quite spectacular, not much has changed TBH, deep seeded hatred and bigotry is still rife.
Its absolute bollocks tbh. I dont understand how people live like it.

Yesterday a reporter asked rickie fowler, an American, would he wear his orange tshirt that he always wears every sunday of every tourny. Lo and behold he's wearing white today.

Let the man wear whatever he wants

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm not so sure mate see below, check out his Twitter. If no one was offended then it wouldn't be an issue but here we are discussing it.

It's just a turn of phrase that anyone could say about any country. If someone had said it was British soil it would be the same thing, as i said only insecure people would get offended by a comment like that.
Of course some people will always take offence, I’m not saying @arnie_ni is btw. But I will say something for sure, there would be much more of a shit storm if a sportsman or politician had said “it would be great for Fleetwood (for example) to win The Open on British soil”.

arnie_ni

I mean technically it is British soil.. hence the British open.

There is a separate Irish open and if someone called it British soil there would be uproar, like there was for Lowry being called British yesterday.

He's seeing it through anyway!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Its absolute bollocks tbh. I dont understand how people live like it.

Yesterday a reporter asked rickie fowler, an American, would he wear his orange tshirt that he always wears every sunday of every tourny. Lo and behold he's wearing white today.

Let the man wear whatever he wants
Yeah the reason NI is how it is is because no one ever shuts up about the past. What the feck has The Open got to do with anything about the troubles. We shoot ourselves in the foot constantly, making out as if we are some lame duck of a country constantly wallowing in the past.

stevoc

Do you think those irish people who got offended at laura davies calling lowry (British or one of our own - not exactly sure what she said as i missed it) are bitter and insecure as well then?
Bitter and insecure no a bit silly yeah probably.

Both are wrong and i can see why both got some riled up.
Come one mate McClean wasn't wrong though.

I would have no problem with someone saying it's Irish or British soil seeing as it's Northern Ireland, part of the UK and part of the island of Ireland.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I would have no problem with someone saying it's Irish or British soil seeing as it's Northern Ireland, part of the UK and part of the island of Ireland.
Clear as day it’s Northern Irish soil :lol:, problem solved.

arnie_ni

Of course some people will always take offence, I’m not saying @arnie_ni is btw. But I will say something for sure, there would be much more of a shit storm if a sportsman or politician had said “it would be great for Fleetwood (for example) to win The Open on British soil”.
If someone like arlene came out with that id by asking the same thing, why would you say it?

Im right with you on both points.

On the golf topic, he was fantastic yesterday. I thought rory was good on Friday but he out done him

stevoc

I mean technically it is British soil.. hence the British open.

There is a separate Irish open and if someone called it British soil there would be uproar, like there was for Lowry being called British yesterday.

He's seeing it through anyway!
Well i wouldn't claim to be able to predict the level of offence that would cause but yeah of course it would offend some no doubt. If theres anything we're good at in Northern Ireland its getting worked up over stupid stuff.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
And that was also rightly criticised on social media as well, because he isnt british and probably wouldn't take to kindly to it.

Adding the "Irish soil" part to the tweet has brought on the mixed replied to it. He could have stopped short of there and no one would/could have had anything to criticise about it
No he is a proud Irishman and it is Irish soil no matter what you say.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Well i wouldn't claim to be able to predict the level of offence that would cause but yeah of course it would offend some no doubt. If theres anything we're good at in Northern Ireland its getting worked up over stupid stuff.
Very true :D, I actually think the majority of the population don’t give 2 fecks about most of it, it’s our politicians that amplify everything for their own agenda. How the feck we as a population aren’t up at every day picketing these comedians is astounding.

cyberman

Agreed. Even lineker caught stick yesterday for wording of a tweet
Gary was being a condescending twat though who tried to be smart and got his facts wrong.It wasn't just the wording but I dont like his smugness anyway.

Tel074

I find McClean to be a bit thick. He doesn't want people to give him abuse, but he loads the bullets and passes everybody guns. Then whines about it afterwards. He's been courting his own downfall for years. Also, as an Irishman myself, I find it ridiculous that he hasn't researched the fact that thousands of young Irishmen fought in both wars. The poppy is a symbol of remembrance, not a symbol of the British state.

You clearly haven't researched that the poppy isn't only about two world wars . It's about every British serviceman in every country including a country where the very soldiers murdered people on the streets which James is from. Sweet holy Christ how are we still have people commenting on this subject and not knowing the simplest details is beyond belief

stevoc

Very true :D, I actually think the majority of the population don’t give 2 fecks about most of it, it’s our politicians that amplify everything for their own agenda. How the feck we as a population aren’t up at every day picketing these comedians is astounding.
Because all the incessant nonsense, whataboutery and back and forth bickering just grinds down any will people have to try to change things. I don't bother even voting, haven't done for years. And i won't until Politics here moves on from DUP/Sinn Fein bickering and political parties based on Nationalist/Unionist ideology in general. So probably not in my lifetime.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Because all the incessant nonsense, whataboutery and back and forth bickering just grinds down any will people have to try to change things. I don't bother even voting, haven't done for years. And i won't until Politics here moves one from DUP/Sinn Fein bickering and political parties based on Nationalist/Unionist ideology in general. So probably not in my lifetime.
Can’t disagree with you there, but honestly as a population we should be doing more, myself included. I haven't voted in years either.

lsd

The Oracle
Again, the poppy is not a symbol of the British Army, nor does it have any ties to the troops involved in the troubles which occured in Derry some 25 years later. There have been hundreds, if not thousands of footballers down the years from Northern Ireland who have played in England and Scotland, without any controversy whatsoever. This chap is a self-proclaimed martyr of his own making. And he loves the attention, like some men enjoy bondage.

Again a pointless argument he or no one from here is going to wear anything where proceeds go to the British Army

We can't make it any more simple than that . It's not hatred or wanting to be martyrs or any other bs you want to come up with.

They massacred innocent people in our towns end of story. Matic doesn't wear one for the same reason .

We all want to move on but it's not going to happen with the same bullying rubbish every year .

You want to wear one then do so no one here cares why feel the need to force us to Wear one?

stevoc

You clearly haven't researched that the poppy isn't only about two world wars . It's about every British serviceman in every country including a country where the very soldiers murdered people on the streets which James is from. Sweet holy Christ how are we still have people commenting on this subject and not knowing the simplest details is beyond belief
I suspect he's on a WUM mate. Because he seems to know very little about the Poppy or the ongoing McClean situation.

Sambob

Absolutely love Die Hard 1 and 2, so I reckon whatever he says he is on the money. Yipee-Kayay

Tel074

McClean again suffered vile abuse at a English football ground and not a single thing about it being reported . This is every bit as bad the racism suffered by coloured players which rightly gets highlighted .

macheda14

McClean again suffered vile abuse at a English football ground and not a single thing about it being reported . This is every bit as bad the racism suffered by coloured players which rightly gets highlighted .
*players of colour.

But yes, he should not be receiving abuse and it should be heavily punished, especially when you look at the history of said abuse.

Red00012

It was on sky sports news today.
There was a stadium announcement during the game asking supporters to stop with the chants.

But yes , it’s totally overlooked but every bit as bad as the Fred incident v City

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Agreed. McClean is an absolute hero in my eyes, stands up to his beliefs and doesn't let the sick individuals who pour their bile, ire and hatred upon him bother him.
Yeah he may be a bit of a shitehouse of a player but as a person he is grounded.

izzydiggler

It's actually been reported in pretty much every outlet.

lsd

The Oracle
It is only being talked about now because he and others have been kicking up a fuss for a long time now asking for more support .

When people start getting arrested for their abuse of him the same way people get arrested for racially abusing black players it will be the correct response

stevoc

When i didn't hear about him getting his usual abuse over remembrance weekend (he may have been injured) i was hoping that it was finally dying down after nearly a decade. Sadly not it seems.

Tel074

The abuse James gets is shocking . He is a great lad who does so much so people less well off . Believe it or not he's not in the IRA nor does he love the IRA.
English people mostly do not understand what it's like to be Irish . Loads listen to rebel songs that doesn't mean we love the RA. But I suppose idiots don't understand or don't care .

Reactions: SteveJ

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The abuse James gets is shocking . He is a great lad who does so much so people less well off . Believe it or not he's not in the IRA nor does he love the IRA.
English people mostly do not understand what it's like to be Irish . Loads listen to rebel songs that doesn't mean we love the RA. But I suppose idiots don't understand or don't care .
Well put.

As a fan of Wolfe Tones I can understand this sentiment.

shadowcat

Maybe slightly off topic but I’ve experienced racism & discrimination most of my time and it’s horrific. Unfortunately, It’s the norm for most people now.

I work in the public sector and the worst part is when I have so called “upper” or “middle class” “white” predominately male customers talking to you as if you are a (insert any number of profanities).

The ones that are subtley racist the worst. They won’t make eye contact or look to the side or above me.

You can see in their body language/facial expression they’d prefer to talk to someone else, often surprised to learn I’m the main person in charge.

One of the reasons why I had to leave that job in the end.

So I totally understand how the player feels. They are all these campaigns but honestly I don’t think they make a difference with the people are genuinely set in their ways. Maybe there needs to some other way to tackling it, harsher punishments?

Reactions: SteveJ

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
If you like him or dont, agree with him or don't (and I have almost no knowledge of the whole ni issue so have no opinion either way) you have to respect him for having the courage to say and stand up for what he really feels when the easiest thing is to say nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.