James Rodríguez

Classical Mechanic

We surely aren’t going to add a backup player for Bruno for 22 million and on double his wages..
It would be madness on multiple levels. His wages are actually 3x that of Bruno’s and Bruno’s injury record is crazy, he misses hardly any games. James wanted to leave Real because he wasn’t playing enough and Bayern for the same reason.

kirk buttercup

his name is going to keep popping up when his agents try to get him a move , predictably it's our name always first to have links as agents do their thing .

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I expect Rodriguez to eventually end up being linked with Wolves,due to Mendes connections,once these United rumours die down.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Hmmmm. He did at Bayern apparently. May not seem it but he is a workhorse
With a coach who can get him to be arsed to work for the team. Heynckes did that when he took over after Ancelotti was sacked, and James was a huge asset to our team for the rest of that season.

Pagh Wraith

He's given in interview about his struggles in Germany:

from Sport1.de - translated with DeepL said:
James Rodríguez came to FC Bayern with high hopes, but never really got happy in Munich. The Colombian was not only troubled by the German climate.

James Rodríguez and FC Bayern never became really warm - in the truest sense of the word.

The Colombian, who wore the Munich jersey on loan for two years (2017-2019), has now complained about the climate in the Bavarian capital, among other things.

"There were days when I went to work at 9 a.m. and it was -28 degrees. So I asked myself: 'What am I actually doing here," the 29-year-old said in a video podcast with the well-known motivation trainer, influencer and author Daniel Habif.

"The Germans are cold people," said James, "even though I was treated fantastically at FC Bayern."

The Southerner had to struggle considerably with the mentality in Germany. "All they ever think about is work. They are like machines, it's madness. They arrive, they train and goodbye. Everyone lives his life and trains, everyone is his own little machine. Really incredible."

Communication also proved to be a major obstacle for the midfielder. "The German language has cost me a lot," reported the 2014 World Cup top scorer.

"I told the teacher I had for the first four months: 'I don't want to waste my time or yours. I don't want that.'"

James has now returned to Real Madrid, but he is unlikely to have a future under coach Zinédine Zidane.

He has only played eight games this season. He would like to play more, "but I can't because of other people. If I was a bad player and I didn't play, that would be okay and I would be calm. But I'm someone who always wants to play, always wants to win," he made clear.

A farewell to the royals is therefore the most likely scenario. "If I go to another club, I can probably play more and be happy for a few more years," James said, open to a change.

Where is he headed now? "Perhaps I'll go to Italy, Spain or England. Maybe I'll know in a couple of days, or maybe not for a couple of weeks. I've been to some good leagues. All that's really missing is Italy and the Premier League."
-28 degrees? When did that happen? :lol: I don't remember it ever being below -5 in the last few winters.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Great player, would love him at United.

When you see Di Maria at PSG, you wonder what went wrong for him at United. With him in the side all these years, MU would have had a different option up front.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Great player, would love him at United.

When you see Di Maria at PSG, you wonder what went wrong for him at United. With him in the side all these years, MU would have had a different option up front.
I agree with this. I think once a player is surplus to requirements at Real, and then chuck in him being South American, there is a section of fans who just create a certain narrative around them as some sort of uncommitted mercenaries. It is lazy and generic I think.

If we are indeed looking for another 10, he’d be a good option at £20m or so, or even on loan. It’s similar with Coutinho. He’s now somehow being laughed all over the place as some sort of player to go nowhere near. Why exactly? His move to Barcelona hasn’t worked out, but all of a sudden people forget his quality and see him as damaged goods. These players have a right to rebuild their careers if things don’t go to plan at Real or Barca, just like the likes of Lukaku and Sanchez did with us.

James is a fantastic finisher and final passer. I’ve also seen him put in plenty of effort too, and could play in a proper 433 - not that we play that system anyway. We play the one that actually suits him best!

Decomposing In Paris

I agree with this. I think once a player is surplus to requirements at Real, and then chuck in him being South American, there is a section of fans who just create a certain narrative around them as some sort of uncommitted mercenaries. It is lazy and generic I think.

If we are indeed looking for another 10, he’d be a good option at £20m or so, or even on loan. It’s similar with Coutinho. He’s now somehow being laughed all over the place as some sort of player to go nowhere near. Why exactly? His move to Barcelona hasn’t worked out, but all of a sudden people forget his quality and see him as damaged goods. These players have a right to rebuild their careers if things don’t go to plan at Real or Barca, just like the likes of Lukaku and Sanchez did with us.

James is a fantastic finisher and final passer. I’ve also seen him put in plenty of effort too, and could play in a proper 433 - not that we play that system anyway. We play the one that actually suits him best!
He would need to take a significant pay cut, & I worry a little about him questioning why he’s at work when it’s -2C. I also know that he’s a potential difference maker.

I would rather we offered the £20m to Pogba or Thiago though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

How is he off the ball ? Coutinho would be a brilliant signing not sure about James.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
How is he off the ball ? Coutinho would be a brilliant signing not sure about James.
In terms of work rate, I’ve seen him put a shift in, especially at Bayern. I guess these things also depend on the team you play for, and their tactics. Bayern were a pressing team, Real, not so much.

And he doesn’t have to be Kanté either of course. We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that he’s primarily in the team to pass and score, both of which he’s very good at.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
To be honest his rant interview shows glimpes of bad mentality. Complaining about training when it is cold, complaining how Germans value a work mentality too much.. Precisely that work mentality is the reason why Germany (along with NL) are keeping the whole EU out of bankruptcy.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Di Maria vibes in that interview. Generally south americans adapt better to Bundesliga than premier league although that's slowly changed over last decade.

Italy is probably best fit for him, perhaps AC Milan if they can afford him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ancelotti rates him a lot but that interview comes across really badly.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
To be honest his rant interview shows glimpes of bad mentality. Complaining about training when it is cold, complaining how Germans value a work mentality too much.. Precisely that work mentality is the reason why Germany (along with NL) are keeping the whole EU out of bankruptcy.
If the interview is true then he better stays in spain. No need to learn a new language and enjoy the weather. It is shocking what he said in the interview for any club interest in his service. I am surprised he didn't complain about the food quality.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yea that interview doesn’t read well. Perhaps ‘reading’ it is the problem, I dunno. Maybe it appears different if you were to watch it. The facts are, he worked hard and played well for Bayern, so even if he really didn’t like Germany much, he did his job. But if the interview was as it reads, should have certainly chosen his words a little better.