James Rodríguez

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I just don't feel he would fit into our attack. Coutinho would be better. Sancho much better.

flappyjay

I wouldn't mind him as a Bruno back up as his price would be cheap but unfortunately his salary is of a starter.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If I were United I would not sign him. He has a very high salary. He is slow for a top team in la liga, I imagine he would suffer a lot in the Premier.
Technically very good, but I think he would have to go to a smaller league or some Villarreal-type team (like Riquelme), where his contribution of talent was needed in free kicks, possession and assists with a strong midfield to protect him.
If, and only if, the values being demanded for the likes of Sancho and Grealish are too steep for the current times I'd consider loaning James from Madrid for a season.

James would be a decent rotation option when Bruno needs a break. I also don't think, at his best, he would not be a bad option of the right to lighten the burden on Greenwood. You say he's slow but he's definitely quicker than Mata! :lol:

Still, at this stage, I would not be sold on a permanent deal. Maybe if we loaned him and he surpassed expectations.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
If, and only if, the values being demanded for the likes of Sancho and Grealish are too steep for the current times I'd consider loaning James from Madrid for a season.

James would be a decent rotation option when Bruno needs a break. I also don't think, at his best, he would not be a bad option of the right to lighten the burden on Greenwood. You say he's slow but he's definitely quicker than Mata! :lol:

Still, at this stage, I would not be sold on a permanent deal. Maybe if we loaned him and he surpassed expectations.
His contract ends in 2021 so can´t be loan. Some newspapers in Spain write that it´s almost done, although others said that Atlético still could be an option.
Yes, as you say he could be a good substitute for Bruno. Pogba, Bruno and James in the starting 11 is not bad either.
For Madrid is a relief :D. A lot of money for a player who does not contribute anything.

Skills

Snitch
His contract ends in 2021 so can´t be loan. Some newspapers in Spain write that it´s almost done, although others said that Atlético still could be an option.
Yes, as you say he could be a good substitute for Bruno. Pogba, Bruno and James in the starting 11 is not bad either.
For Madrid is a relief :D. A lot of money for a player who does not contribute anything.
As in done to Man Utd? That seems out of nowhere.

But is probably a better deal than getting grealish for whatever quoted price.

shahzy

Depending on price and wage demands he could be a decent rotation option to have. Just because we desperately need depth as Ole has no trust in the likes of Mata, Lingard et al to come on and change the game. For once in a long time i see us having the stronger position in negotiations with the likes of the James' of the world. I'd prefer someone younger and hungry like Donny Van De Beek as that would fit into what we are trying to build with a young squad full of energy. But James would be a decent option if we cant get Donny

shahzy

Sad really. He won't be earning peanuts in Miami either. Miami or live in the desert? Wouldn't be a tough decision for me.
You make it sound like its some normal ass city. The amount of money and infrastructure going in places like Qatar and Dubai is astronomical. Its a very very pleasant place to live and work

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You make it sound like its some normal ass city. The amount of money and infrastructure going in places like Qatar and Dubai is astronomical. Its a very very pleasant place to live and work
Unless you're homosexual or a woman.....

This is the kind of deal that I hope we know to stay away from with Ole in charge. Hasnt done much for a long time, very expensive, and unlikely to fit in the team well.

poleglass red

I get a Di Maria vibe about him, I think he could do a few great things initially then fade away pretty quickly.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
won't mind if it's for the right reasons. Aka...to add depth to the squad. I don't see him as a first 11 player. He's been overrated ever since "that world cup". He was Real Madrid's shiny new toy and never lived up to the hype. But as a squad player he can be a good option if the price is right. Would still rather get someone younger though...

georgipep

won't mind if it's for the right reasons. Aka...to add depth to the squad. I don't see him as a first 11 player. He's been overrated ever since "that world cup". He was Real Madrid's shiny new toy and never lived up to the hype. But as a squad player he can be a good option if the price is right. Would still rather get someone younger though...
I doubt he can be a squad option considering he would demand quite high wages. Never a good thing to have the more expensive players on the bench. They should be the ones you play regularly otherwise what's the point in investing in them?

SAFMUTD

The problem with this skind of players is eventhough their fee is relatively low they still have huhe wages.

The selling club just want to get rid of the player, hence the fee. While this may turn out a bargain if James gets back to that 2014 level (yeah its been that long). I dont think we should take it unless we are out of budget and its a loan + buy option deal.

As a club still full with many deadwood high wage players, Sanchez, Lingard, Mata, Phil Jones and other overpaid players like De Gea, Rojo, etc. We cant give us the luxury to risk another feck up.

We need to turn this around and giving a glory past player a huge wages contract will only set a bad precedent for other players contract's renewal.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I doubt he can be a squad option considering he would demand quite high wages. Never a good thing to have the more expensive players on the bench. They should be the ones you play regularly otherwise what's the point in investing in them?
If he wants high wages then I'd pass. That's why I said "if he comes at the right price". That doesn't just mean transfer fee. That's wages too. I wouldn't expect someone like Rodriguez to get more than 100k per week. If making less than that isn't enough for him, then he can go somewhere else...

georgipep

If he wants high wages then I'd pass. That's why I said "if he comes at the right price". That doesn't just mean transfer fee. That's wages too. I wouldn't expect someone like Rodriguez to get more than 100k per week. If making less than that isn't enough for him, then he can go somewhere else...
Then I think it's fair to say that you can forget about such a scenario. Apparently (according to https://wageindicator.co.uk/pay/vip-celebrity-salary/james-rodriguez) he is on close to £290k/week and I would be absolutely astonished to see a professional athlete (supposedly in his prime) to take more than 65% drop in wages to come to "sunny" Manchester.

Furthermore, if he is truly on that wages and takes such a pay cut, he is the stupidest man alive.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Then I think it's fair to say that you can forget about such a scenario. Apparently (according to https://wageindicator.co.uk/pay/vip-celebrity-salary/james-rodriguez) he is on close to £290k/week and I would be absolutely astonished to see a professional athlete (supposedly in his prime) to take more than 65% drop in wages to come to "sunny" Manchester.

Furthermore, if he is truly on that wages and takes such a pay cut, he is the stupidest man alive.
He's definitely not worth anything even close to that. Has he ever been a starter other than in his first year in Madrid? He's a squad player, nothing more. The only way I see him starting is if he goes to a smaller club. Somewhere like Everton would suit him well...

RyRoc

An excellent technician who will contribute with goals and assists and showed in his first season at Bayern he was willing to get through some dirty work - but surely for his sake more than any he should be going to a team that will play him in his preferred position and as a regular starter.

If he can accept lower wages, what is the hurt in having him?
It the profile of player we want.

Firstly, he’s unlikely to take a ‘squad player’ wage at Utd, secondly, what has he done over the past 4 years, thirdly do we need a younger version of Mata in the squad when we don’t play to his strengths?

This would be a backwards move, and is getting a player based purely on profile and reputation rather than what they can actually bring us. No thanks.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
In my opinion it makes sense why United are after him. He is at his best in the position Bruno Fernandez plays. United need a quality backup for Fernandez in order to maintain same tactics when he is injured/unavailable. James is cheap as his is unwanted at Real. Real usually players 4-3-3 and there is no room for a classic nr. 10. I am not sure if he will succeed at United, but I can understand why he is wanted by Ole. Adds to the squad dept.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
In my opinion it makes sense why United are after him. He is at his best in the position Bruno Fernandez plays. United need a quality backup for Fernandez in order to maintain same tactics when he is injured/unavailable. James is cheap as his is unwanted at Real. Real usually players 4-3-3 and there is no room for a classic nr. 10. I am not sure if he will succeed at United, but I can understand why he is wanted by Ole. Adds to the squad dept.
I just read he’s not wanted by Ole at all and it’s Mendes trying to dish him off. Where have you seen he’s wanted?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We surely aren’t going to add a backup player for Bruno for 22 million and on double his wages. Not even we are that stupid are we? Yes he would be decent value “punt” as a starter at some other big club as the transfer fee is low but surely not as a squad player. This has di Maria vibes for sure. It’s a no from me. We should be looking to find and develop a younger player to compete with Bruno not more expensive stopgap solutions that will need fixing again in a season or 2.

I doubt we are in for him anyway. Ship out Sánchez and bring in James. Hardly.

Mindhunter

If he can accept lower wages, what is the hurt in having him?
He is a washed up Galactico. We have a core group of players who have just started clicking with a relatively inexperienced manager who is trying to bring back the ethos of the club. Going back to the galactic strategy will just bring us back to the post SAF years where we lacked a clear direction and just went after big names who would increase the profile of the club (supposedly).

Right now we have several talented youngsters either in the first team or on the fringes and bringing in James will completely disrupt it. I am glad that we aren't being reactive anymore and people can't take us for a ride. It seems Woodward and the club have learned from their mistakes - just spending money without a vision won't get you anywhere.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Mendes can f*ck off and enjoy whatever he did with the Bebe payment.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Bruno is our farthest player in terms of pressing and he does it from front. James just wouldn't do it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We had Sanchez who could have been a quality backup to Rashford and Martial. Ole just didnt fancy that option.
Not that I agree but I am glad that atleast we have a fecking plan and sticking to it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bruno is our farthest player in terms of pressing and he does it from front. James just wouldn't do it.
Hmmmm. He did at Bayern apparently. May not seem it but he is a workhorse