James Rodriguez | Al Rayyan Giggs Player

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Rodriguez could end up being the best signing of the xfer window. What was the cost to Everton? 20mil in total?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Was signed 6 years ago, fully ammortized by now. Hence no sunk cost letting him go for free
Would not call him fully ammortized. 29 years old versatile international that you paid a huge fee for and let him go for free with 1 year on the contract. The way I see it no team were going to pay money for him and afford to pay him wages that he accepts (a common problem these days) so you let him go for free as that would cost you less in terms of money and is also better for morale. Same as Sanchez. Two rubbish pieces of busienss.

Reminds me of the guy here in Iceland when Costco opened up who bought that huge giraffe they had on display to have in his outdoor party. Lifesize statue with no monetary value, impulse buy. Everyone likes it at the party and it was fun for a short time but then was just in the way.

Untd55

We probably should have tried to sign him.

I know people are against signing older players because Sanchez failed (weird logic), but a lot of older players succeed when they move clubs.

It is a stupid idea to rule out the signing of older players just because one failed. Should we rule out younger players because Forlan failed 20 years ago? No. It is a ridiculous idea.

I think Rodriguez would have been a quality player to have in our team for such a small amount, comparatively. A signing that could have desperately been needed based on yesterday's game.

AJ Bullet

Glad he's doing well, wish we had got him a few years back, heck I would take him this window the way its gone, instant impact and great to watch, majestic left foot.

Its early days of course and he may go through quiet spells but will give Everton fans something to be excited about with him, Richarlison & Co.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I know people are against signing older players because Sanchez failed (weird logic), but a lot of older players succeed when they move clubs.

It is a stupid idea to rule out the signing of older players just because one failed. Should we rule out younger players because Forlan failed 20 years ago? No. It is a ridiculous idea.

I think Rodriguez would have been a quality player to have in our team for such a small amount, comparatively. A signing that could have desperately been needed based on yesterday's game.
Not just his age. If a player isn’t the star at a Real or Barca, we shouldn’t be buying them. Once a player goes to either club, it’s like they lose the right to want to move on and get their careers going again. They can’t be trusted and are terrible signings if they are to be paid more than £100k a week.

For 20m, James would have been perfect to come in for us, with the likes of Lingard, Pereira and Mata being binned. For free, it’s even more of a no-brainer. He’s pure class, and always has been.

romufc

For 20m, James would have been perfect to come in for us, with the likes of Lingard, Pereira and Mata being binned. For free, it’s even more of a no-brainer. He’s pure class, and always has been.
The problem is that as soon as we registered any interest in the player, the price would automatically be £40-50m

izec

Class.

Wait.. "...after they confirmed that they did not get any % of a fee after the Colombian’s move to Everton on a free transfer "

What?
I think they thought they would get money for his Everton move from the fee (if there was one, it was reported before that he moved for x millions). He was there as a teenager and they thought they would get some solidarity payment, due to being an important part of his development in his early career. But since he moved on a free, no money for them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The problem is that as soon as we registered any interest in the player, the price would automatically be £40-50m
Well, we don’t know that. And if the price became £40-£50m, we wouldn’t pay it, and then Everton would not be able to come along and get the player for free/£20m after Real just quoted their neighbour £50m, and Real would be stuck with him.

Let’s be honest, we could have gotten him for £20m at most.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Class.

Wait.. "...after they confirmed that they did not get any % of a fee after the Colombian’s move to Everton on a free transfer "

What?
It is a free transfer. it has been said many times already. It is an absolutely steal for Everton to get a player this class for free. He is a perfect #10 for Ancelotti.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
That is a great deal for Everton if he indeed is signed as a free transfer.

They only signed him for 2 seasons, so they have virtually nothing to lose if he flops. They can just get rid of him in 2 years with minimal losses.

He had a great start.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Hope he does well there under Ancelotti, always liked having him in the team.

starman

Was the cash plus James offer for Pogba ever confirmed as real?

There's a number of reports, cash plus player, Bale + James. James plus 3 other players.
We only need to see Bale light up the league now....

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Poor game today by his standards but fantastic pass to Coleman in the first goal. Happy days.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
@Rozay spot on with James looking like, hats off. Obviously he was always a quality player, but obvious doubts came out after a few meh years. Still think it was entirely fair to call Bruno better on the basis of recent past performances and that's all you can go by, but considering the start and his performances, fair to say that you can argue it either way and James is still absolutely top quality.

Ancelotti showing his quality though. Can't believe nobody trusted him and Everton got him.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Was more a question of his motivation and willingness to play to his full potential. From what I've read and saw he had periods of great form for both Madrid and Bayern while being there.

Everton fans must be enjoying atm.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Failing at Barcelona and Madrid should not scare us of certain players

They have such rigid tactical systems and decisions they make that it effects certain players ability to settle in there.

United58

Failing at Barcelona and Madrid should not scare us of certain players

They have such rigid tactical systems and decisions they make that it effects certain players ability to settle in there.
Sadly, we're just as awful integrating players :lol:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Wasted too many years at Madrid in limbo. He should have been at a club that appreciated him 3-4 years ago.

Sad to think such a good player is 29 already and hasn’t had the career his talent deserved.

fps

Looks good now let’s see if he can keep it up though.

Incredible that Ancelotti has never managed Man Utd, should have been him after Fergie.

youngrell

Good to see he’s doing so well, it’s been a massive shame that such an exciting player has been wasted for a long time.

Just a shame it’s with a PL rival.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I will come here every week and laugh at everyone who said he will flop. Just shows that the so called cafe experts has no clue on how these things work.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

Sanchez's output numbers had just dropped over the last few months at Arsenal, a pretty clear sign his legs had gone, which is crucial for a dribbler. James just didn't fit in, or was injured.

James isn't a speed reliant dribbler. We did field Paul Scholes until he was 38 or whatever it was, you'd think we'd know skill players can last longer.

That said James may only have a few years left, who knows.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's thriving because Ancelotti is building the whole team around him. He's at his level.
Not that he hasn’t proven he can excel at a higher level for the last 8 years or anything!