James Rodriguez

Adcuth

Can't believe there wasn't a thread for this lad but here's one anyway.

Not too sure if the Madrid link is a done dealio yet but i'd hope we were looking at him. If rumours are to be believed we actually turned down signing James for £5mil when we made the shrewd acquisition of Bebe :confused:. I'm hoping this is a load of bullshit because the lad is progressing amazingly well and really brought himself to the forefront at the World Cup.

Is there a possibility that a big bid could secure him (after our better needed signings) and how do you think he would fit in with our squad, LVG and the English Prem in general? He looks like he could progress into one of the worlds best given what he's shown so far at just turned 23.

Thoughts?

FromTheBench

Firstly re the report about him at Banfield, might be true but not sure what Bebe has to do with it. We've been tracking him for a long while now actually but at that stage he wouldn't have gotten a work permit even.

And as for now his best position is central or as a false winger in a narrow formation. We have enough of those type of players.

And he would reject us for Real almost certainly, as he has been clear with his desire of playing in Spain for a long while now. And did a full come and get me Interview for Real recently.

Plugsy

We didn't turn down him to sign Bebe. We, along with all the other top clubs (hence why he ended up at Monaco) didn't sign him. Later we signed other players, one of which was Bebe.

Cina

At the time we were linked with him I believe Arruda and others said he simply wouldn't be a good fit with our style of play because he's not actually a winger. He also didn't rate him that highly, at least, not to the extent he's rated now.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Adcuth

We didn't turn down him to sign Bebe. We, along with all the other top clubs (hence why he ended up at Monaco) didn't sign him. Later we signed other players, one of which was Bebe.
I don't believe that shite anyway, they say it was in 2010 before he signed for Porto. He was offered to us but we decided to go a different route. Funny how this has only come out since he had a cracker at the world cup like.

The lad looks like he has a major eye for goal, great shooting accuracy, vision, pace. Could be molded into a deadly striker rather than a number 10/winger. Whether we'd stand a chance if Madrid don't sign him this summer is a different story. Probably end up like Ronny, develops into world class with us then naffs off to Madrid to give them his best years. Couldn't take that again :lol:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Real Madrid, according to AS, think they can get a deal around €70m + Casemiro down from Monaco's initial valuation of €115m.

According to me, Mendes is a factor in this transfer and the Di Maria one so I take all speculative press coverage as agent spin.

As for the what could have beens, there's a limit to how many "could be great" players you can buy - especially as they only develop by playing and especially when they aren't EU citizens. It's just one of those things.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Madrid will get him but does it really make sense? It looks like they're well stocked in that department and it will be difficult to field all these players

Browniee

Madrid will get him but does it really make sense? It looks like they're well stocked in that department and it will be difficult to field all these players
Di Maria will leave so I'm guessing that Rodriguez will fill his spot

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Wouldn't make any sense for United and pretty the same for Real, he is a number 10 more than a winger. But yeah it's Real, they will sign him, just for the sake of it, hope we can use that and sign Di Maria.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So is Isco going to leave Real?
It's hard to see why he would want to stay, though he did get a lot of minutes last year, he was never close to first choice. He's a #10 in a team that doesn't use one.

It's a tough one for Jese as well, though admittedly he's out injured for another few months, so he won't be leaving this season.

SambaBoy

It will be a waste of a signing if he's bought and played on the wing.

Also, his performances at the World Cup means he is slightly overrated now. A talented player, no doubt, and what he showed at the WC was what some expected him to develop into but he still hasn't produced that level at club level. Some are talking about him as if he's one of the best players in the world which is way of the mark. He has the potential to be one of them and that's what he showed at the WC but it hasn't been shown on a regular basis. I think people seen the WC and assumed that was how he always played.

Given his age, this could be the start of him now but this is a big season for him.

Mister_Stubbs

It's hard to see why he would want to stay, though he did get a lot of minutes last year, he was never close to first choice. He's a #10 in a team that doesn't use one.

It's a tough one for Jese as well, though admittedly he's out injured for another few months, so he won't be leaving this season.
I'd have him here but again where does he play?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He obviously had a great World Cup but is he actually a bigger talent than isco?

Isco was benched a lot last season but he is a brilliant talent.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I've watched James in his Banfield days, and in his Porto days. I think people are overreacting a bit to his WC performance

If Madrid lose Di Maria and get James, that is a net loss for them

Devil may care

Real Madrid really are the ultimate videogame club, I don't recall them being interested in him before the World Cup, then has 5 good games and looks class suddenly they are willing to pay close to another record fee for him despite not needing him at all.

::sonny::

Benzema

Ronaldo Rodriguez Bale

Kroos Modric

Marcelo Pepe Ramos Carvajal

Casillas
Sold:
Di Maria
Llaramendi
Khedira
Isco
Morata
Jese

Annahnomoss

Real Madrid really are the ultimate videogame club, I don't recall them being interested in him before the World Cup, then has 5 good games and looks class suddenly they are willing to pay close to another record fee for him despite not needing him at all.
Sums them up so well. They are basically what United would look like if the Caf during silly season were in charge of our transfers.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Di Maria played in a 3 men midfield last season - that's not James' best position
Benzema
Ronaldo Rodriguez Bale
Modric Rakitic

Not sure if that's too offensive though. I know Modric works exceptionally hard but not sure about Rakitic's work rate.

They also have Alonso but he's getting on.

Blair

Incredible signing. They sign who the feck the want.

Interested to see how they line up next season. Still think they'll sign another top player.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
The
Benzema

Ronaldo Rodriguez Bale

Kroos Modric

Casillas
Sold:
Di Maria
Llaramendi
Khedira
Isco
Morata
Jese
They will lose every top match with this line up, Kroos and Modric are originally #10's, this is way too attacking. You will get the Arsenal syndrom of last season, when they were walked over against Chelsea, City, and Liverpool.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema
Ronaldo Rodriguez Bale
Modric Rakitic

Not sure if that's too offensive though. I know Modric works exceptionally hard but not sure about Rakitic's work rate.

Errrr... he signed for the catalan twats mate.

Wayne's World

Benzema
Ronaldo Rodriguez Bale
Modric Rakitic

Rakitic joined Barcelona didn't he?

Anderson18

:nono: I'll go on a rampage if this happens.
His destiny was decided with the purchase of Bale. Seriously he is just way too good to be just a role player for any club in the world, and your wings are sorted with Ronaldo and Bale for the next 5 years atleast. If I were Van Gaal, I'd move hell and earth to get him. Reminds me so much of Ronaldo.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
His destiny was decided with the purchase of Bale. Seriously he is just way too good to be just a role player for any club in the world, and your wings are sorted with Ronaldo and Bale for the next 5 years atleast. If I were Van Gaal, I'd move hell and earth to get him. Reminds me so much of Ronaldo.
I know this is true but I live in the hope we could field them all one day. Who needs defenders anyway, right? His playing style reminds me of Ronaldo too, he's so unbelievably exlosive and it's such a joy watching him tear that wing up. I'd be absolutely gutted to see him go, I think he might be the most promising player we've ever had. I hope this friggin injury won't harm his development.

Last edited:

Bwuk

I have to agree, Rodriguez would make both Jese and Isco a lot more obtainable. I'd love either tbh, both have the potential to be up their with the very best in the world.

gulli_G

Benzema

Ronaldo Rodriguez Bale

Kroos Modric

Casillas
Sold:
Di Maria
Llaramendi
Khedira
Isco
Morata
Jese
as good as modric and kroos are, that CM is too attack minded,

Anderson18

I know this is true but I live in the hope we could field them all one day. Who needs defenders anyway, right? His playing style reminds me of Ronaldo too, he's so unbelievably exlosive and it's such a joy watching him tear that wing up. I'd be absolutely gutted to see him go, I think he might be the most promising player we've ever had. I hope this friggin injury won't be harm his development.
But how if you buy the other Rodriguez now and still have maybe the most talented 10 in the world? Not to mention that Di Maria brought so much balance to your side, as he was probably your most important player last year. I hope too that he doesn't lose a bit of pace and becomes the world class player that he is destined to become. I honestly can't remember a more talented player from your youth setup. He is simply that good. Could be the best Spanish player of the next generation. Can't praise his talents too much.

Such a sad sight for me, as I do like Real Madrid, that Perez still hasn't learned from his Galacticos bullshit the last time. Selling Di Maria could very well be Makelele mk2 and even though Bale played great last year, that position was already sorted with the Ronaldo extension and Rodriguez. Not even to mention James Rodriguez this year.

Brightonian

There's something quite soul-destroying about the idea of reaching the peak that Madrid are at right now - emphatic CL winners, a team absolutely chock full of World XI-quality stars, the envy of the footballing world - and the only 'next step' they can think of is to just keep on doing what they did to get there - selling amazing players, buying amazing players who are more in-form or in-vogue.

'We've done it lads! We've got the most successful, most entertaining and most star-studded team in the world!'
'So what next?'
'Um... buy in the next lot, I suppose.'

I like to think that if United managed to get to where Madrid are now, the next step would be to try and stay there without signing another handful of world class star players. Don't be thinking 'which players are the hottest property in world football right now, and which of our perfectly successful, in-form stars will we have to sell to make room for them?' Be thinking 'who in our academy is going to be putting pressure on these stars from the bench next season?', or 'which promising young players from around the world should we be looking to mould into successors for Ronaldo, Alonso, Modric etc?'

In this instance, I guess I'd basically like to see them not sign James or anyone like him, but stick with Jese and Isco.