James Ward Prowse | this isn’t a performance thread | signed for WH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverman

Watch him join us and never score a free-kick or get an assist from a set-piece.

Scholsey2004

What are Le Fee/Kokcu like on the ball,no doubt Ward-Prowse is one of the best set piece takers around but is that enough for us
Theyre both very good technically. In fairness Ward Prowse's passing stats are always very good though, and his stats are obviously from Premier League level which counts for a lot.

SungSam7

This guy played a part in getting his own team relegated, we should definitely sign him to make a title push.
Yeah, nothing to do with the club selling all their potential players and not replacing them adequately. Sure I suppose Andy Robertson has held Liverpool back since he was relegated with Hull.

EDIT: Add Wjinaldum to the list while we are at it.

Judas

Open to offers
This guy played a part in getting his own team relegated, we should definitely sign him to make a title push.
This is always always such an impressively dense view to take. As if all players that get relegated are shite or tainted and clearly can’t possibly be trusted to play football again at a top level. Shoot them seems the most sensible move.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
i wouldn’t rule out him being southampton’s version of matt le tissier and him staying there for the rest of his career, even if some of that is in the championship.

croadyman

i wouldn’t rule out him being southampton’s version of matt le tissier and him staying there for the rest of his career, even if some of that is in the championship.
Think he leaves but maybe not top 6

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's played enough games in the PL, surely fans know whether he's good enough to take a step up ?

Personally, I don't think he's good enough to be a major player in a top 5/6 team. He'll be a decent substitute sure but he's 28 yrs old now, he's a constant starter for his home town club ,he's their captain and the fanbase adores him. He's not going to have any of that at a top club, in my opinion. He'll probably be paid better, though I gather he's Soton's current top earner, and potentially win something but I think its rather telling that for all of the players that have moved on from Soton , and achieved great things, he's always stayed put, whether that's for the standing and sentimental reasons I put above or maybe clubs just don't rate him higher than the level he's currently playing at.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Will he become Southampton's version of David Icke too?

NoPace

This is always always such an impressively dense view to take. As if all players that get relegated are shite or tainted and clearly can’t possibly be trusted to play football again at a top level. Shoot them seems the most sensible move.
Yeah it's very dumb. Leicester might get relegated but Maddison is a quality player and if Bruno demanded out next week for example, he'd be a good signing.

But I'm not sure there's actually a player in the bottom 5 teams that might get relegated that would upgrade our starting lineup, because Gibbs-White, who I think is really talented, is also a 10. I guess Keylor Navas but he's on loan.

There's youth that might get there, though, that's where I think the real competition will be, guys like Onana, Bella-Kotchap, Gnonto and others.

My guess remains that if we add a relegated player it will be a Leicester forward (Vardy, Daka, Iheanacho) on a loan to give us depth there behind our signing and Martial, with Sancho sold and Rashford and Garnacho at LW.

Huddsred

Other than his set pieces, he's an average player at best and probably past his prime judging by this season's performances. Not what we need going forward.

poleglass red

they should change the rules, making it more appealing to our american viewers, so that you can sub a player on to take a free kick then automatically sub him off after it. Ward Prowse would ideal for us in that scenario.

croadyman

they should change the rules, making it more appealing to our american viewers, so that you can sub a player on to take a free kick then automatically sub him off after it. Ward Prowse would ideal for us in that scenario.
Yeah bit like the new impact thing in IPL

marktan

Watching him vs Brighton, he's quite limited. Slows down the play, plays the easy pass when a little bit of creativity could see them break. If it wasn't for his free kicks no one would talk about him.

Idxomer

Watching him vs Brighton, he's quite limited. Slows down the play, plays the easy pass when a little bit of creativity could see them break. If it wasn't for his free kicks no one would talk about him.
Yes, he's a very average footballer.

Red Royal

For all the hype over this guy, he is playing in the EFL tonight (and I don't think due to some amazing loyalty to Saints). I hope he never scores another free kick in the Prem cos if Beckham has to lose his record I would rather it go to a better player.

izec

For all the hype over this guy, he is playing in the EFL tonight (and I don't think due to some amazing loyalty to Saints). I hope he never scores another free kick in the Prem cos if Beckham has to lose his record I would rather it go to a better player.
Saints are demanding high fees for their players. Otherwise, he would be at West Ham already. 30m was a fair offer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Saints are demanding high fees for their players. Otherwise, he would be at West Ham already. 30m was a fair offer.
Yep, it's baffling they think that they can ask more than that now they're in the championship.
You'd imagine the player will not be best pleased if he's stuck there past the window shutting.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He may not be the best player but he’s the best free kick taker in the PL possibly even it’s history for my money.

tomaldinho1

I honestly think he’d be a steal for any top club as a squad player, I don’t blame Saints for not selling - he’ll be key in any promotion bid which is worth much much more to them than £30m

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yep, it's baffling they think that they can ask more than that now they're in the championship.
You'd imagine the player will not be best pleased if he's stuck there past the window shutting.
Their logic is probably that they think they’ll be a PL side again next year, think their thinking may be flawed though.

Abraxas

It's not to do with loyalty to the Saints, necessarily, no (although how the feck do we know, it could play a part)

But that doesn't mean it's because he's shite and nobody is interested. Depends what the Saints want for him and whether he's value. They'll probably make it straight back if they keep players of his quality so I doubt they want to lose him. Don't see how they will struggle with promotion with players like him Adams, Tella.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Best conversion % of any PL player in its history. So yeah no white text. If I’m looking for someone to score a free kick it’s JWP.
When did that history start? Last I knew was they started tracking free kick conversation rate in the PL from 2000, some sites even say they started it properly only in 2007.

didz

He was unbelievable tonight and not just with set pieces.

Trequarista10

JWP and Beckham are close. Hard to know whose conversion rate is better if it wasn't tracked whilst Beckham was whipping them in, but I'd guess JWP probably edges given their total FK goals to appearances, on the assumption that United of that era got more FKs in shooting positions near the box than Southampton did. Certainly not ridiculous to think either or is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.