View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I'm a huge fan of Wilson but like Januzaj, it hasn't helped that everytime we've given him a chance this year neither have been able to step up. LvG may be a little gun shy on Wilson right now.
vs. Hull we should give them both another chance to impress, theres very little to lose.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We shouldn't loan him out. We should work on his strength over the summer. He made 16 appearances so far which is not bad considering the competition and the lack of games. Hopefully next pre season he's fit and can show his qualities.

Trizy

Wonder if Gary Monk would be interested? Honestly believe that would be the best team for him in the league but not sure he would get as much game time as we desire.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Exactly. He needs to learn how to grab the manager's attention and make himself undroppable. Y'know, like Falcao has.
I dont know why he's persisted with Falcao, nobody does, and to a slightly lesser extent Van Persie as well,
but it's still a fair statement that Wilson hasn't shown what he's capeable of in the selective chances afforded to him this season, neither has Januzaj, which is a shame, if he'd given one or two decent displays it would perhaps... at least give Van Gaal something to think about instead of us having to watch Falcao slip and slide around the pitch continuously.

Petr1

Cant expect much of a 19 year old when the team as a whole isnt performing well.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
LVG hopefully is always encouraging Wilson to play his natural game. Hopefully he has a great tournament.

Acole9

Outstanding
Well done for getting in the squad but I can't help but think he should be with the under 21's.

Hal9000

Well done for getting in the squad but I can't help but think he should be with the under 21's.
They are taking Ings, Kane and Berahino and then out of the other three the only one he could probably replace is Woodrow, and even then i don't think he'd make the cut down to 23 considering the form of Bamford and Afobe this season.

To be fair, he's not had any impact on the first team here, and the 6 forwards they picked are playing and scoring in a higher level than the U21s league.

He needs a loan imho.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Wonder if Gary Monk would be interested? Honestly believe that would be the best team for him in the league but not sure he would get as much game time as we desire.
Perhaps he could have gone there in January when they lost Bony and didn't replace him. They've looked rank up front since (No top half PL side should have Marvin Emnes as their 2nd choice centre forward!).

I think they will definitely bring in a striker this summer, and it will probably be a more established prospect than Wilson, so he might struggle to get a look in.

entropy

Instead of splurging on a striker, I would prefer to see Wilson up front. It seems like a very United thing to do. Kinda similar to when fergie put his faith in Welbeck and decided to sell berba.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Instead of splurging on a striker, I would prefer to see Wilson up front. It seems like a very United thing to do. Kinda similar to when fergie put his faith in Welbeck and decided to sell berba.
Also a very stupid thing to do. Welbeck didn't develop very well either so I'm not sure the example works. And welbeck was much older.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a lot more next year. If we don't buy an RvP replacement then its likely LvG has full confidence that this could be Wilson's breakthrough year.

sajeev

Also a very stupid thing to do. Welbeck didn't develop very well either so I'm not sure the example works. And welbeck was much older.
that season when welbeck was leading the line with rooney, we did quite well and were level on points with the champions. welbeck got 12 goals. it was the season after with RVP coming in that welbeck couldn't develop. anyways james wilson, i don't think we will see much of him here, this season or even later

amolbhatia50k

Wilson will always be better than welbeck.
Always, except that welbeck played better for us throughout his United career than what Wilson showed last season.

I'm assuming Wilson will go to be much better going by the way people rate him here, but he played like a kid last season in whatever games he played. Didn't look ready.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Welbeck was good that season. He just never improved in the following 2 years, hence why we got rid.

amolbhatia50k

that season when welbeck was leading the line with rooney, we did quite well and were level on points with the champions. welbeck got 12 goals. it was the season after with RVP coming in that welbeck couldn't develop. anyways james wilson, i don't think we will see much of him here, this season or even later
Indeed but like I said welbeck was much further in his development at the time. Physicality he could handle himself in addition to the other aspects. Wilson looked a little lost. Unless he is a lot more ready and improves drastically by next season I don't see him as good enough right now as second choice striker.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don't disagree. But I wasn't arguing that.
The original point was when Fergie got rid of Berba and got in Welbeck it was the United thing to do and wasn't a mistake at the time. I feel getting rid of RVP for Wilson isn't a bad idea, aslong as we also replace Falcao and Hernandez with a striker.

amolbhatia50k

The original point was when Fergie got rid of Berba and got in Welbeck it was the United thing to do and wasn't a mistake at the time. I feel getting rid of RVP for Wilson isn't a bad idea, aslong as we also replace Falcao and Hernandez with a striker.
The difference being like I've said above, that welbeck was ready and much further in his development than Wilson is, based in last season's evidence. The post I replied to suggested we don't sign a striker and have Wilson as second choice. Going by your last sentence, you disagree with that as well.

I mean the Wilson of last season simply cannot be second choice striker for a club this big.

JackXX

From what we've seen Wilson isn't good enough. He's young and there's potential but not enough to warrant being a place behind Rooney. Should prove himself in the Premiership by going out on loan imo.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
From what we've seen Wilson isn't good enough. He's young and there's potential but not enough to warrant being a place behind Rooney. Should prove himself in the Premiership by going out on loan imo.
And that's partially why England fail to produce elite young players, when you have a young player and room for him, just play him, give him a fair chance.

JackXX

And that's partially why England fail to produce elite young players, when you have a young player and room for him, just play him, give him a fair chance.
I've never agreed with this theory tbh. There are plenty of opportunities for English players if they are good enough.

Sam

All the reports coming out last season were that LVG really rated Wilson very highly iirc. I'd imagine he'll be part of the first team squad next season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I've never agreed with this theory tbh. There are plenty of opportunities for English players if they are good enough.
You might disagree, but Germany, France, Spain and Italy in the last decade all begun to reproduce quality players, mainly because of the playing time given to the young players.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Welbeck had two loans first, plus we had Hernandez too, and we even kept Berbatov for an extra season just in case.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
All the reports coming out last season were that LVG really rated Wilson very highly iirc. I'd imagine he'll be part of the first team squad next season.
He will, van Gaal doesn't loan out his best talents and he even got gametime without much cupgames and when we had Falcao, RvP and Rooney. I'm pretty sure if RvP leaves he will be replaced and Wilson becomes 3rd striker.

Sam

He will, van Gaal doesn't loan out his best talents and he even got gametime without much cupgames and when we had Falcao, RvP and Rooney. I'm pretty sure if RvP leaves he will be replaced and Wilson becomes 3rd striker.
Sounds about right. The fact he started Wilson against Liverpool shows that he obviously has a lot of faith in the kid, even if it maybe came a bit to early for him this season. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop, I personally think he's a star in the making.

ThanksBoss26

Sounds about right. The fact he started Wilson against Liverpool shows that he obviously has a lot of faith in the kid, even if it maybe came a bit to early for him this season. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop, I personally think he's a star in the making.
Fair point.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I hope he actually gets some game time up top when we are attacking next season. Most of his playing time last season was spent out on the wing trying to defend a lead.

I'd probably send him on loan to the Championship but van Gaal seems to prefer keeping players around so I'm all for that if he'll actually get the play time.

LR7

I've seen a few headlines today linking him to Hull on loan.