View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You might disagree, but Germany, France, Spain and Italy in the last decade all begun to reproduce quality players, mainly because of the playing time given to the young players.
Because mainly all those countries (I'm not including Italy because I'm not 100% sure) have more talented young players than England. The few english players who looked good at very young age all got opportunities to develop (Wilshere, Rooney, Kane, Sterling).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because mainly all those countries (I'm not including Italy because I'm not 100% sure) have more talented young players than England. The few english players who looked good at very young age all got opportunities to develop (Wilshere, Rooney, Kane, Sterling).
I don't think that it's the case, I think that England miss on a lot of talented players because they tend to buy shit foreign players and not give a chance to the young players.
No country can be in such a bad situation that they have to import the likes of Gouffran or Eder.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah if the talent is good enough (which it isn't) they'll play more. Exceptions like city and Chelsea aside.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't think that it's the case, I think that England miss on a lot of talented players because they tend to buy shit foreign players and not give a chance to the young players.
No country can be in such a bad situation that they have to import the likes of Gouffran or Eder.
I think they're, it's just not the sole reason because young English players on top of being less talented, they're also more expensive.

Classical Mechanic

I think they're, it's just not the sole reason because young English players on top of being less talented, they're also more expensive.
The new generation are definitely as talented as any foreign players. Just look at the success the Chelsea youth team had recently and England have won two U17 Euro titles in the past five years.

Game time is a major problem though. At the Euro U21s this summer the England squad had the fewest senior appearances of any team. When we beat Germany at the end of the season their U21 team had something insane like 500 more appearances at senior level. It is undeniable that this is a problem.

Nah if the talent is good enough (which it isn't) they'll play more. Exceptions like city and Chelsea aside.
That can't be true though. The EPL has far more foreign players than any other major league. Surely less places for English youth means less chances? It isn't just about the standout talents. Some lesser players can develop if they get the chance, the lack of opportunity for that chance has to be a problem, no?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maybe you are right, but I disagree.

PS: The tagline :lol:.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The difference being like I've said above, that welbeck was ready and much further in his development than Wilson is, based in last season's evidence. The post I replied to suggested we don't sign a striker and have Wilson as second choice. Going by your last sentence, you disagree with that as well.

I mean the Wilson of last season simply cannot be second choice striker for a club this big.
But you still think it was a "stupid" decision to sell Berba and play Welbeck instead of buying a replacement?

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
And that's partially why England fail to produce elite young players, when you have a young player and room for him, just play him, give him a fair chance.
Its not really about just having room. If you're having to engineer gametime for a player, you have to ask yourself if the player is best off somewhere else where he can play consistently. Elite youngsters tend to just force their way in.
It seems like the manager would have to go out of his way in order to give Wilson minutes. Few (if any) of the top young players around were gifted gametime. They were always the best option for the team despite their age. This isn't the case for Wilson.
The issue is that England don't actually create many special youngsters - not that they don't play enough.

You might disagree, but Germany, France, Spain and Italy in the last decade all begun to reproduce quality players, mainly because of the playing time given to the young players.
And pretty much no quality young strikers over this decade. Young strikers have to be seriously special to get consistent gametime at a top division club. It's not unique to English football.

Classical Mechanic

And pretty much no quality young strikers over this decade. Young strikers have to be seriously special to get consistent gametime at a top division club. It's not unique to English football.
Hate to keep chiming on about this but Solanke and Abraham at Chelsea scored 82 goals between them this season for the Chelsea youth side that won the youth Champions League and the FA Youth Cup. They both hit 41 goals this season and in the youth CL Solanke averaged a goal every 60 minutes. At the moment two of the best young strikers in the world are in the hands of Chelsea and they are both English. We are producing great talents at the moment.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Germany, France, Spain and Italy produce great players because they concentrate on ball skills instead of kicking the ball and running.

The change needs to come at school level. Until the FA invests in this at grassroot levels...we will still be looking up at these ccountries.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Almost all English talents are very strong and/or very fast (mostly strong). Because of this, the most of them can already play at a high level when they're quite young, and are labelled a top talent. But they're technically, tactically, mentally so far behind the other nations.

Because of that, Im very excited that United is heading in another direction a bit, looking at the likes of McNair, Pearson, Rothwell, Pereira, Januzan Lingard, Keanes.

Classical Mechanic

Almost all English talents are very strong and/or very fast (mostly strong). Because of this, the most of them can already play at a high level when they're quite young, and are labelled a top talent. But they're technically, tactically, mentally so far behind the other nations.
Just wrong. We hadn't won anything at youth level since the early 90s before 2010, there has been a marked improvement in the quality of young English players in recent years. Why don't you look up Man Utd's own Angel Gomes and reeducate yourself.

Sammyjunn

Just wrong. We hadn't won anything at youth level since the early 90s before 2010, there has been a marked improvement in the quality of young English players in recent years. Why don't you look up Man Utd's own Angel Gomes and reeducate yourself.
Did I say you've won something? Angel Gomes is 14, lets look at the PL English youngsters

Classical Mechanic

Did I say you've won something? Angel Gomes is 14, lets look at the PL English youngsters
So you think that Loftus-Cheek, for example, has a lack of technique on the ball? By your reckoning that superiority based on physique should have resulted in more success, or indeed it isn't superiority is it?

Red Dreams

Because of that, Im very excited that United is heading in another direction a bit, looking at the likes of McNair, Pearson, Rothwell, Pereira, Januzan Lingard, Keanes.
can agree with most of that.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Germany, France, Spain and Italy produce great players because they concentrate on ball skills instead of kicking the ball and running.

The change needs to come at school level. Until the FA invests in this at grassroot levels...we will still be looking up at these ccountries.
Every team should seek to emulate Brazil in their pomp, you cannot get those kind of ball and dribbling skills unless you start very early.

Walters_19_MuFc

Welbeck was good that season. He just never improved in the following 2 years, hence why we got rid.
Because we got Van Persie and Kagawa. This is not to say I didn't want to get RVP. I mean, he played a massive part in us winning the title, so I guess SAF buying him was justified, but I think Welbeck would have improved a lot more if he didn't have to play on the wings for more or less two seasons. I mean, that season, him and Rooney were immense up top for most of the season.

As for Wilson, don't think he's ready yet. Needs a loan to a Championship or EPL team.

Red Dreams

a loan deal seems right...he certainly needs playing time.

But with us letting RvP go, Falcao...

We have Rooney and who else?

lots of mention of midfielders and defenders. We need 4 top strikers to challenge.

van Gaal seems to like the lad...so Wilson may play lot more matches this season even if we get 2 top strikers.

Speak

Because we got Van Persie and Kagawa. This is not to say I didn't want to get RVP. I mean, he played a massive part in us winning the title, so I guess SAF buying him was justified, but I think Welbeck would have improved a lot more if he didn't have to play on the wings for more or less two seasons. I mean, that season, him and Rooney were immense up top for most of the season.

As for Wilson, don't think he's ready yet. Needs a loan to a Championship or EPL team.
I don't even think Januzaj would start week in - week out for the majority of Premier League sides as a loan player. And he's considered a winger.
Wilson would barely play much for any team in this league.

Championship loan would be the sensible choice. In fact, I'd actually go for League One half-season loan.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't even think Januzaj would start week in - week out for the majority of Premier League sides as a loan player. And he's considered a winger.

Championship loan would be the sensible choice. In fact, I'd actually go for League One half-season loan.
You must be having a laugh.

Speak

Th
Hate to keep chiming on about this but Solanke and Abraham at Chelsea scored 82 goals between them this season for the Chelsea youth side that won the youth Champions League and the FA Youth Cup. They both hit 41 goals this season and in the youth CL Solanke averaged a goal every 60 minutes. At the moment two of the best young strikers in the world are in the hands of Chelsea and they are both English. We are producing great talents at the moment.
That's great for them. They still aren't good enough to dislodge Costa. And gametime is crucial for youngsters.
Like I said - when players are genuinely the best option, they tend to get picked despite being young.

You can't force youngsters into the side. The likes of Isco, Draxler, Gotze, Neymar... were better than their competition.
Same for Stones, Barkley, Sterling and many others down the years like Rooney and Owen.

Classical Mechanic

Th

That's great for them. They still aren't good enough to dislodge Costa. And gametime is crucial for youngsters.
Like I said - when players are genuinely the best option, they tend to get picked despite being young.

You can't force youngsters into the side. The likes of Isco, Draxler, Gotze, Neymar... were better than their competition.
Same for Stones, Barkley, Sterling and many others down the years like Rooney and Owen.
They are both 17. Abraham especially isn't physically developed enough for senior football. All of those foreign players that you mentioned came through at lesser clubs than Chelsea. Chelsea play a one striker system and Mourinho is known for not trusting young players. They are both top top talents but are at one of he worst clubs to get a shot. Both would get minutes at Santos, for example.

Sammyjunn

I think people who think Wilson would play loads on loan in the Premier League are having a laugh, personally.
You're right tho. We love to overrate our youngsters but other than a decent return in the u21, he hasnt shown that much yet for other clubs to even consider starting him. No club would seale a 19 year old striker who's scored 3 PL goals as an improvement.

Sammyjunn

So you think that Loftus-Cheek, for example, has a lack of technique on the ball? By your reckoning that superiority based on physique should have resulted in more success, or indeed it isn't superiority is it?
No, they are superior in physique but inferior in technique, and tactically. I havent seen RLC that much tbf, but wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt turn out to be a world beater later. He's almost 2m and a huge lad, it's quite easy to become leanient on that. He has shown some skills tho so cant judge that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But you still think it was a "stupid" decision to sell Berba and play Welbeck instead of buying a replacement?
I think it would be "stupid" to replace Rvp with Wilson instead of buying a striker like I said.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Blimey.

FromTheBench

fecking Falcao was getting chances being shit game after game while Wilson should have getting that game time to prove himself more.

If he stays clear of Injuries which is a major worry with him, Wilson will be a star.

khoazany

I see some here still not realise how good Wilson is/will be.League One?Ok mate.Let's go and watch more football.

Last edited:

entropy

I think giving Wilson the chance is the better risk to take. Especially after expecting so much from Falcao and being let down massively.Instead of spulrging big money on a striker, waiting for him to adjust to the pl and LVG's system. I rather see a young, quick and highly rated Wilson given the opportunity. There aren't many good strikers available in the current market anyways.

Mainoldo

I think giving Wilson the chance is the better risk to take. Especially after expecting so much from Falcao and being let down massively.Instead of spulrging big money on a striker, waiting for him to adjust to the pl and LVG's system. I rather see a young, quick and highly rated Wilson given the opportunity. There aren't many good strikers available in the current market anyways.
Wilson is not going to get us a 10 goal return though is he. Minimum that's what we need from our second striker. He has a lot to learn and is better of being a number 3 or going on loan to a Championship club where he will get minutes.

entropy

Wilson is not going to get us a 10 goal return though is he. Minimum that's what we need from our second striker. He has a lot to learn and is better of being a number 3 or going on loan to a Championship club where he will get minutes.
I think 10 goals isn't a ridiculous target for someone his age. If given the right amount of opportunities, I am confident he can deliver. After the whole Falcao debacle, this seems like the right way forward.

Last edited:

Verminator

The last time I was so confident a youth player would make it, it was Ryan. Even the class of 92 I was more hopeful than sure.
He is a finisher in the mould of Ian Rush. He just seems to know the best thing to do to score. That's at junior level, and he needs chances to hone that at senior level. He is also pretty damn quick, running with the ball
Future England star, for me. Just needs to play.

Varun

Staff
a loan deal seems right...he certainly needs playing time.

But with us letting RvP go, Falcao...

We have Rooney and who else?

lots of mention of midfielders and defenders. We need 4 top strikers to challenge.

van Gaal seems to like the lad...so Wilson may play lot more matches this season even if we get 2 top strikers.
4 "top" strikers when we'll play a system with just 1 striker?

Sparky Rhiwabon

We don't need 4 top strikers at all. Wtf would we do with 4 top strikers when we only play 1 at a time? No team has 4 top strikers.
I think some people think we still play 442! With two strikers we needed four top strikers, with one striker we need two or three. Preferably one of which can play other roles (I.e. Depay). Sadly, Wilson is not good enough to be the "third striker".

Ozio

Well that sucks.