James Wilson image 19

James Wilson England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlowe78

He did play a few games but I don't think he's ever really gotten a good look with us. The system these last two years didn't support his style at all and when there were opportunities to counter, he very rarely played. Hopefully he hits some progress on loan.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
At his age, Harry Kane was hardly setting the world alight on loan. People sometimes expect too much, too young from players. He's got all the tools to be a top player, but the margins at the top level are very fine. Will be interesting to see how he does on loan. If you'd asked me 12 months ago who was going to be the next big breakthrough from the academy, how many would've picked Rashford? It's a funny old game.

Mr Smith

They're playing 4-3-3.

Main strikers: Martin, Bent & Blackman
Wide forwards: Ince, Weimann, Russell & Camara
Don't know much about those players, but he's not exactly going to get a free run is he?
Glad he got a loan move though. Hopefully he kicks on, even if he never ends up being a regular for us.

Donut

He'll score 5 goals for them and be injured half the season. He's just not good enough for us (or probably any other PL team).

FromTheBench

He'll bloom once he overcomes his niggling injuries and starts coping physically better.

Dunno why so many want obviously talented quite young player sold at the drop of a hat.

jb8521

He'll bloom once he overcomes his niggling injuries and starts coping physically better.

Dunno why so many want obviously talented quite young player sold at the drop of a hat.
I agree, the rush on here to write off any young player who isn't a guaranteed first teamer by 19 is bizarre

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

To be fair, unless you watched him much in the youth teams, there is nothing 'obvious' at all about his talent.

For me there's two sides, it's not good practice to just 'write off' young players as you put it, but you should also not just stockpile them for years either. Wilson is just 20, but he's been out of the reserves for 2 years now. That in itself isn't necessarily THAT long, but in that time, he's generally been poor for us too, which does add context. If he'd shown more, even out on loan, it would be different. Take Januzaj. He's still on our books, and has underwhelmed both here and on loan for two seasons, however - he HAS also shown in our first team for a spell of games that he can do it at THIS level, not just youth level. Wilson has not, which is he key difference.

We also have the likes of Will Keane around still. It is highly unlikely he'll ever be a United player. Just let him go. He's 23. Players are on their second World Cup by then, some approaching their third. I heard talk today about loaning Jones out even. Since when did teams start loaning out 24 and 23 year olds? It's unnecessary stock piling I think.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
JAMES WILSON'S KNEE INJURY CONFIRMED

Manchester United striker James Wilson is set to undergo an operation after sustaining an anterior cruciate ligament knee injury during his loan spell at Derby County.

The 20-year-old has had tests on the problem at the Aon Training Complex after being hurt in a training session with the Championship side on Monday.

Following surgery, the England Under-21 international will begin a rehabilitation programme as he works hard to get back to full fitness.

"It's a great disappointment for him and for the club as well," said United Reserves coach Warren Joyce. "He's got to look to work his socks off and come back in the best shape he's ever been in his life. All you can do when you have setbacks is to try to be positive and look to make sure when you do return, it's in the best shape."

Derby boss Steve McClaren added on the club's official website: "It's incredibly disappointing news that James has suffered an injury like this.

"Only last week, I was saying how much I was looking forward to working with him because he is an exciting young talent. I know that he will bounce back from this disappointment, especially as well as being a very good player, he is also a strong and determined character."

Jaybomb

I hate when an injury like this happens to a young player. By the time he's back, he'll be 21 and that a year of development gone. It happened to Will Keane and to a lesser extent, Luke Shaw last season.

macheda14

What? It's an injury. Calm down
This injury is particularly hard to come back from to the level you were before. You lose the ability to make quick changes of direction as easily, it's also a long long lay off. Obviously his career isn't over, but he had the potential to be a premier league level striker and I just don't think him sustaining this injury whilst also missing the best part of a year will let him reach that level. (About 5 months out and the rest getting back to mental/match fitness)

Distracted Steward

Really bad timing for the lad. The odds of him staying at United looked bleak before this. Even if he recovers well, this wasn't time he had to lose.

Loublaze

ATLien
"He's got to look to work his socks off and come back in the best shape he's ever been in his life. All you can do when you have setbacks is to try to be positive and look to make sure when you do return, it's in the best shape."
He said this about Will Keane and Powell during injury setbacks. I feel for the kid but he has a mountain to climb

Status
Not open for further replies.