James Wilson image 19

James Wilson England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

He'll be sold.

Too many people ahead of him in the pecking order.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been saying for more than a year that people seemed to be declaring him some sort of top class player or even a squad option way too prematurely. I've seen his name pop up in countless threads with stuff like 'our striking options will then be Rooney, Wilson, etc...'. He has done very little to show he is a United player at first team level, and was given more than his fair share of football for a teenage striker under Van Gaal in my view.

GazTheLegend

If he's not even in the pre season tour squad, looks like he's finished at Manchester United.

Shame really as his performances at u-21 level were absolutely outstanding and I (like many others) thought he was nailed on to make it but I expect he will be sold.

Still think he has the potential to become an international level striker but maybe he will be a late developer. Too late for him here though with Zlatan Martial Rooney and Rashford around (and yes I know Martial is played on the left of a 3 a lot but I expect he will do an Henry within a few years and become a world class #9)

kenny19

I've never rated this guy since ever. He has no hold up play which is one of the reasons chicarito never made it here. You can't be a striker and not be versatile in this modern era of football. No technical ability on the ball either. His first touch in that wigan game was horrific. He might be more suited to a two striker partnership but that's not happening at united ever.

If we loan him out please let it be to a premier league team.

DanClancy

Hoping he gets a loan move where he's first choice, seemed to spend a lot of time on the bench at Brighton.

He needs plenty of game time and its way too early to write him off.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
It would be a mistake to sell him this soon, it could come back to bite us in the future, I HOPE he's either injured again or a loan is planned.

JoaquinJoaquin

Been saying for more than a year that people seemed to be declaring him some sort of top class player or even a squad option way too prematurely. I've seen his name pop up in countless threads with stuff like 'our striking options will then be Rooney, Wilson, etc...'. He has done very little to show he is a United player at first team level, and was given more than his fair share of football for a teenage striker under Van Gaal in my view.
It's the same with Lingard now though. You have the posters who take it personal if you dare suggest that the player is not actually good enough to be here. I understand the loyalty to youth players will be a bit higher then an import but some take it as far as the player gets a whole pass because he came from the youth team.

Dobbs

It's the same with Lingard now though. You have the posters who take it personal if you dare suggest that the player is not actually good enough to be here. I understand the loyalty to youth players will be a bit higher then an import but some take it as far as the player gets a whole pass because he came from the youth team.
Saying he's too young to dismiss isn't giving him a pass. A young player whose shown a lot of talent in the youth ranks should be given a good chance. He's been better than Lingard through the various age groups.

JoaquinJoaquin

Saying he's too young to dismiss isn't giving him a pass. A young player whose shown a lot of talent in the youth ranks should be given a good chance. He's been better than Lingard through the various age groups.
Agree on both points. But I think he has been given enough chances now to be honest, He doesn't look comfortable in our first team so it may be time to move him on. I would add some sort of buy back clause in though.

Mr. Ant

Hoping he gets a loan move where he's first choice, seemed to spend a lot of time on the bench at Brighton.

He needs plenty of game time and its way too early to write him off.
He would have been first choice if he took his chances though.. It looks like the transition to senior football is too much for him at the moment.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He would have been first choice if he took his chances though.. It looks like the transition to senior football is too much for him at the moment.
What chances? LVG played Falcao ahead of him when the later was dog shit. When Rashford got his chance Wilson had been loaned out. Even Nick Powell got chances last season ahead of him

Needs a loan IMO lets see what he can do, too early to write him off.

OohAahMartial

Should be sold with a sell-on clause. There's no way we're buying him back. Think there should be quite a fee Championship clubs interested in buying him. He's too one-dimensional for the Premier league.

Dobbs

Agree on both points. But I think he has been given enough chances now to be honest, He doesn't look comfortable in our first team so it may be time to move him on. I would add some sort of buy back clause in though.
A handful of games as a 19 year old isn't a proper opportunity. Very few players can make an impact at that age. Especially strikers.

I ran through this in the newbies but take a look what other great strikers like Ruud and Cole were doing at his age.

He just needs loaning out and it wouldn't surprise me if not going on tour is because an opportunity has come up.

dichinero

A handful of games as a 19 year old isn't a proper opportunity. Very few players can make an impact at that age. Especially strikers.

I ran through this in the newbies but take a look what other great strikers like Ruud and Cole were doing at his age.

He just needs loaning out and it wouldn't surprise me if not going on tour is because an opportunity has come up.
This

JoaquinJoaquin

He has played 20 competitive games in our first team, some of them pretty big games to, But his overall contribution in alot of them was very little. There was times you actually forgot he was playing in a couple of them. It has took Rashford alot less time to show his class and look very comfortable for example, Even Macheda needed less time to show what he was capable of. Maybe i'm being harsh here but I just have never seen it with him in the first team. Add to the fact he was only pretty average at Brighton enforces the fact that he probably just isn't good enough unfortunately. We would like every youth player to become top class, but some simply don't become that and if I was to stick my neck out i'd say this will be the case for Wilson.

m1y2

there were a lot of players who were great for the youth teams and failed to transfer their ability to senior game. He simply is not good enough for us yet if he ever be and for that reason he can't stay here for another season when he contributes so little and we are fighting for the trophies, some player don't need time to adapt like Rashford, even Januzaj was great straight from the go..

some players might need a loan first, in his first spell at brighton he hardly impressed so it's up to him to show he can do it in men's league next season.. I wouldn't sell him just yet but at the same time I am almost sure he will not make it here. Being injury prone will not help him. My guess is that he will struggle to even get to play in the premier league in next few years..

Senior game is just too physical and too intense for some players, Wilson looks like he can't last 20 minutes on the pitch, there will be many others like Wilson IMO.

And now he is getting on the list of players I got carried away with the crowd here praising him too much. Very good example of that is also Ben Pearson

In Rainbows

I think he should stay another year. I don't see a reason to sell when we can just loan him out. I think it is ridiculous to give up on a 20 year old who showed that much at youth level. Not saying he will make it, but that what he showed at youth level deserves to at least stay here at this age.

We can always sell him when he's 22 or something.

dichinero

there were a lot of players who were great for the youth teams and failed to transfer their ability to senior game. He simply is not good enough for us yet if he ever be and for that reason he can't stay here for another season when he contributes so little and we are fighting for the trophies, some player don't need time to adapt like Rashford, even Januzaj was great straight from the go..

some players might need a loan first, in his first spell at brighton he hardly impressed so it's up to him to show he can do it in men's league next season.. I wouldn't sell him just yet but at the same time I am almost sure he will not make it here. Being injury prone will not help him. My guess is that he will struggle to even get to play in the premier league in next few years..

Senior game is just too physical and too intense for some players, Wilson looks like he can't last 20 minutes on the pitch, there will be many others like Wilson IMO.

And now he is getting on the list of players I got carried away with the crowd here praising him too much. Very good example of that is also Ben Pearson
I slightly disagree here. There are very few players that had the level of performances at the youth level. He was a beast at that level. If the chances he had during Giggs reign had come in the middle of the season, he could have had an impact like Rashford. If roles were reversed, Rashford could easily flopped at Brighton too. Wilson has been unlucky with injuries and illnesses but I would keep him and send him on loan.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He has played 20 competitive games in our first team, some of them pretty big games to, But his overall contribution in alot of them was very little. There was times you actually forgot he was playing in a couple of them. It has took Rashford alot less time to show his class and look very comfortable for example, Even Macheda needed less time to show what he was capable of. Maybe i'm being harsh here but I just have never seen it with him in the first team. Add to the fact he was only pretty average at Brighton enforces the fact that he probably just isn't good enough unfortunately. We would like every youth player to become top class, but some simply don't become that and if I was to stick my neck out i'd say this will be the case for Wilson.
He started well at Brighton and had a bit of a mystery illness where (and I am sure I can be corrected if it isn't the case) he lost a bit of weight. After that he was really just trying to build himself back up for the remainder of that spell.

As for the 20 or so games he had with us, it is worth remembering that in some of those we was being used as a late pair of legs to run the right wing. Not his role at all. van Gaal really misused him.

Jaybomb

I've never rated this guy since ever. He has no hold up play which is one of the reasons chicarito never made it here. You can't be a striker and not be versatile in this modern era of football. No technical ability on the ball either. His first touch in that wigan game was horrific. He might be more suited to a two striker partnership but that's not happening at united ever.

If we loan him out please let it be to a premier league team.
Chicharito never made it here? :lol: Only one of the most prolific goalscorers the Premier League has ever seen. 60 goals for us, a 2 time Premier League winner and one of Sir Alex's best ever signings. What a bizarre statement. He might have never been a starter for the majority of his time here, but he was one of our key players for about 4 years. I blame Moyes and especially Van Gaal for him leaving the club. He should still be here and his performances for Bayer prove that.

Baxter

That was the first thing I thought. He's probably got offers and it's probably best to join up with another club asap

Mr. Ant

What chances? LVG played Falcao ahead of him when the later was dog shit. When Rashford got his chance Wilson had been loaned out. Even Nick Powell got chances last season ahead of him

Needs a loan IMO lets see what he can do, too early to write him off.
I meant at Brighton, he wasn't anything special while he was there but he's young so I think it would be fair to give him another chance.

Still I think he won't make it here but that's just my opinion.

jb8521

As far as I know the reason he hasn't been included in the tour is so that he can have a preseason with his loan team

Red_toad

Should be sold with a sell-on clause. There's no way we're buying him back. Think there should be quite a fee Championship clubs interested in buying him. He's too one-dimensional for the Premier league.
When James Vardy is one of the most effective players in the league, I say you're very out of touch.

Brophs

The One and Only
Has to be a loan, surely. There's so much potential there that a decent loan move could unlock.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Is this being pedantic to the extreme or am I cracking up? Yea I hope the reason he's not been brought on the tour would be due to a minor injury that would keep him out during the tour period, rather than the other possibility of us outright selling him for the reason why he's not been included..
Did I really need to make it that abundantly obvious what I meant, you thought I meant I'd hoped the kid had broken his leg or something or what? :confused:

kenny19

Chicharito never made it here? :lol: Only one of the most prolific goalscorers the Premier League has ever seen. 60 goals for us, a 2 time Premier League winner and one of Sir Alex's best ever signings. What a bizarre statement. He might have never been a starter for the majority of his time here, but he was one of our key players for about 4 years. I blame Moyes and especially Van Gaal for him leaving the club. He should still be here and his performances for Bayer prove that.
I didn't mean it in that way. I meant as a first team player. He was never a first team player because he couldn't lead the line. He was sold because he was a situational player. That in itself is a weakness. Wilson to is looking like that sort of player. He can only probably play on the counter. That isn't good enough and like chicarito who couldn't play as an advanced forward also wasn't good enough regardless of the teams success.

wiz4231

Another loan move would be good for him. The one dimensional pace aspect is a good thing but he needs to move away (for now) with just being a striker, he needs game time to develop and it would be better for him to get on the right wing where he can run at defenders with his pace and develop his dribbling skills further. He's got potential and the right attributes to be a top player but right now he's hot to get game time, build his stamina, cut out niggling injures and build his physique, the rest will come with time.

Minimalist

Haven't seen a whole lot of him but of what I have, he's seems a bit meh at PL level. Out of his depth.

Selling him is probably on the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.