James Wilson Leaving | Signs for Salford City FC

sunama

Baghdad Bob
...But he just fell off a cliff after his debut. This is a pattern at the club. Even outside players when they come here they stop trying to improve. This doesn't happen at even the Spanish big two which would be the definition of "made it" for most pros.
I've noticed this as well.
External players are bought in. They arrive and play well. Darmian is a great example. With time, they regress and then fade into nothingness.
Are there any players who have improved since they joined us (post SAF)? Luke Shaw. Victor LIndelof. Anybody else?

mu4c_20le

If anyone wants a sign about how far he is fallen, even us Aberdeen fans aren't excited about signing him. Couldn't imagine ever saying that 12-18 months ago. Hard to tell if he was just unfit or incredibly uninterested during his spell with us. Must have agreed to a huge wage cut before we've signed him permanently.
He was never that high up for me. Fantastic goal scoring record in the reserves league, but never really impressed on his loans. Saying that he fell off is like saying how far Macheda has fallen off after that goal. Edit: should also mention that injuries also played some part in his trajectory

He was never that high up for me. Fantastic goal scoring record in the reserves league, but never really impressed on his loans. Saying that he fell off is like saying how far Macheda has fallen off after that goal. Edit: should also mention that injuries also played some part in his trajectory
We allegedly paid him £50k per week for four years that’s more than £10m!!!

He thought he’d hit the big time (he had in terms of pay), then slacked off - too much too soon. Not saying he would have made it, but such a huge contract for someone with so little experience can have a detrimental effect on players.

Steven-UK

We allegedly paid him £50k per week for four years that’s more than £10m!!!
If that is true that is mental, average players (or anyone average in any industry) should be making nowhere near that kind of money. It just shows you that there is a LOT of luck involved in this game.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If that is true that is mental, average players (or anyone average in any industry) should be making nowhere near that kind of money. It just shows you that there is a LOT of luck involved in this game.
It's not true though, I'd bet my left bollock on it.

Dante

Average bang
If anyone wants a sign about how far he is fallen, even us Aberdeen fans aren't excited about signing him. Couldn't imagine ever saying that 12-18 months ago. Hard to tell if he was just unfit or incredibly uninterested during his spell with us. Must have agreed to a huge wage cut before we've signed him permanently.
He could easily have a career like Josh King. I think there's every reason to be hopeful. There's definitely potential there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Strange but true, he once started a premier league match v Liverpool.

Bondi77

He was really quick and had a good left foot but I would imagine the injuries has had an effect and maybe mentally as well but who really knows.
Every now and then I watch videos on Ravel and I am still blown away how much natural talent that lad has and has not made it to the highest level because of his application and attitude. I watched one recently of him playing in Mexico and the balance and poise when he is on the ball is still there...such a shame.

Reactions: jojojo

Cockney Phil

Powell, Wilson, Ravel and Depay - many hopes, all dashed.

I used to think there was a fine margin between success and failure.

They all had the talent so it must come down to what’s in their heads.

SerenityValley

On the day he signed, there were dozens of Aberdeen fans on Twitter delighted to have gotten him. I didn’t see any negative or ambivalent comments.

It’s his attitude that is the problem I think - just doesn’t work hard at all.

mattsville

On the day he signed, there were dozens of Aberdeen fans on Twitter delighted to have gotten him. I didn’t see any negative or ambivalent comments.

It’s his attitude that is the problem I think - just doesn’t work hard at all.
It is the most important thing in football, if you don't have the attitude to meet the standards or demands required your talent means nothing. I was excited to see wilson get into the team, way better than Rashord, I cannot comment on his mentality for certain but I did not hear too much negativity about that aspect of his game like we all did with morrison for example but the injuries defo fecked him up, still he is involved in the game and whatever the reason he did not fulfill his potential it is a shame, he was a super talent, absolute goal machine, lightning quick and super composed. It just does not happen sometimes, injuries, changes of manager with different ideas and perhaps his mentality, I think there were some mentions from coaching staff that there was more effort required, in this day and age of super rich teams, total focus and commitment from academy players is required to get into squads where clubs can afford to buy ready made.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Did we ever establish whether he can play in the hole?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Powell, Wilson, Ravel and Depay - many hopes, all dashed.

I used to think there was a fine margin between success and failure.

They all had the talent so it must come down to what’s in their heads.
It's a bit harsh to put it all down to attitude/what's in heads.

Circumstance and luck are huge elements too.

Wilson got a chance under Giggs, and scored a couple.

Then he was either not fancied by the next guy and got injured. Those are seismic shifts in his career.

Take Rashford as another example. He got the massive break of Martial being injured at the same time as Rooney, and Van Gaal was forced to play him.
He took his chance, and never looked back really.

Although people have started criticising his attitude now, so I think it's one of those "go to" fan things.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I remember him starting on the wing against Liverpool in 14-15 and he looked completely out of his depth. Somehow, despite being battered for the entire game, we won 3-0. de Gea was a wall that game. Expected goals eat your heart out.

It's crazy in hindsight to think that James Wilson once kept Radamel Falcao on the bench for a big game against Liverpool. James fecking Wilson, a striker with only 13 goals in 76 matches, most of which coming in the lower leagues or SPL, keeping one of the top strikers of the 21st century on the bench in the biggest game of the season. Football eh.

Last edited:

Arka_BleedingRed

Playing at a club where Footballing interests are secondary to image, Brand value, social media presence has lead to inflated wages and heads too heavy for their shoulders. Wilson, Januzaj, Depay, Lingard pick anyone.

Even at the top clubs like Barcelona, Real, Juventus, Bayern etc, football is and has been the utmost important thing. Whatever the players do outside the pitch, they aren't allowed to slack off once they are in it. The coaches, fans make sure of that. Until the club/business company that is Manchester United nowadays, changes it's nature, these things will keep happening.

ottosec

A very talented player, but always looked mentally weak and really nervous whenever he played for the first team.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Playing at a club where Footballing interests are secondary to image, Brand value, social media presence has lead to inflated wages and heads too heavy for their shoulders. Wilson, Januzaj, Depay, Lingard pick anyone.

Even at the top clubs like Barcelona, Real, Juventus, Bayern etc, football is and has been the utmost important thing. Whatever the players do outside the pitch, they aren't allowed to slack off once they are in it. The coaches, fans make sure of that. Until the club/business company that is Manchester United nowadays, changes it's nature, these things will keep happening.
If that is the case, how do you explain the massive improvement of Luke Shaw and Victor Lindelof last season? How do you explain Scott McTominay knuckling down and working his arse off to get better without any of those outside factors? Shaw and Lindelof are both on 100k a week plus, McTominay is on 30k, still a very rich young man himself.

Maybe those players were just immature egomaniacs who couldn't hack it?

Arka_BleedingRed

If that is the case, how do you explain the massive improvement of Luke Shaw and Victor Lindelof last season? How do you explain Scott McTominay knuckling down and working his arse off to get better without any of those outside factors? Shaw and Lindelof are both on 100k a week plus, McTominay is on 30k, still a very rich young man himself.

Maybe those players were just immature egomaniacs who couldn't hack it?
That's partly the issue, most of the players being youngsters who tend to drift away sometimes, do silly things, lose their focus. That is when the club and it's approach towards players comes into the picture. A club like United, having owners like the Glazers are completely dependent on earning their own revenue through sponsorship deals, Brand promotions etc. Then, there is the case of individual player image rights, sponsorship deals and promotion. Players are attending, promoting these events for the umpteenth time, and some of them get into their heads about increasing their own brand values and all, often losing focus on football. Under a less commercialized club, with a proper DOF, head coaches they might still be able to keep their heads on football. But certainly not at the current United.

You brought up the example of Shaw and Lindelof. Firstly, Whilst they have improved, the improvement is hardly significant when compared to other teams in the league. I mean, both are still inconsistent and not amongst the top 5 in their position(maybe Shaw is). McT is largely unproven and hardly a first team regular. Secondly, not every players behave in the same way. But there are always some players, extremely talented but need the right nudges and guidance so that they don't lose their way, which is hardly available at United, thanks to Mr. Woodward. Ole, if he remains for long might or might not be able to make an influence on these players. But, until the club's focus shifts from the commercial side to the football side of things, the situation is hardly going to change.

Cockney Phil

It's a bit harsh to put it all down to attitude/what's in heads.

Circumstance and luck are huge elements too.

Wilson got a chance under Giggs, and scored a couple.

Then he was either not fancied by the next guy and got injured. Those are seismic shifts in his career.

Take Rashford as another example. He got the massive break of Martial being injured at the same time as Rooney, and Van Gaal was forced to play him.
He took his chance, and never looked back really.

Although people have started criticising his attitude now, so I think it's one of those "go to" fan things.
No, way back I felt Wilson wasn’t on the same page. I was also comparing three players who were not quite capable of stepping over the line but with all the talents.

All three in different ways, had ‘faulty’ attitudes and comparing them with other players like Shaw who almost lost but went on to recover, just makes their stories appear rather pitiful.

It also shows that football is not much different from other careers, you make you’re own luck through determination and will power. On the other hand the club seems to waste a lot of talent and yet never before has so much been spent on so many - something is going wrong somewhere and these kinds of failures point to its existence.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

He was decent in few games in 2014-15 and many posters used to praise him.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/james-wilson-2014-15-performances.390269/page-31#post-16740701

Use the threadmark for each game.
I found reading through that thread a treat... can't believe I'm feeling nostalgic about van Gaal's reign.

Just as a matter of interest, the only two games I can see him being praised was when he came on for 15 minutes against Arsenal (and even then it's more people preferring him to a past it RvP)... and the other was against Cambridge :lol: Pretty much in line with what I remember of him

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I remember when he scored those 2 goals in his debut and I thought shet we might have a new Rooney coming through here. Sadly it just never worked out for him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I found reading through that thread a treat... can't believe I'm feeling nostalgic about van Gaal's reign.

Just as a matter of interest, the only two games I can see him being praised was when he came on for 15 minutes against Arsenal (and even then it's more people preferring him to a past it RvP)... and the other was against Cambridge :lol: Pretty much in line with what I remember of him
He was praised for every game till the Liverpool game and then was praised after game against QPR and Cambridge.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Apparently signed 18 months contract at Salford!

Would never have imagined he would end up playing league 2. You can never be sure someone is a United player, but I couldn't have imagined he would be lower than bottom half prem/championship player.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
6 months on, no-one is worried about losing him. Didn't get as much chances with us as we expected but Cosgrove nailed down the starting spot and I assume Wilson wasn't impressing in training. Talent wise he's streets ahead of Cosgrove too.

Bwuk

One of my best friends is a Aberdeen fan, reckons Wilson just wasn't interested at all.

El Zoido

I always thought it was the injury that did him. He would have got a break in our first team, but it was his injury that caused LVG to fall back on Rashford wasn’t it? Maybe if he’d have started a career with us and scored some goals, things might have turned out differently. Doubt he ever would have made it here, but it surely he had more about him than playing in league 2.