James Wilson

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
What's the latest on Wilson this season so far...?

Leg-End

He hadn't scored so far this season.........until the last game when he bagged 5.

Drainy

I've not been able to see much of the u-18s this season. Has he been playing up front or on the left wing?

I kinda assumed he was playing wide or maybe second striker with Byrne up front until last weekend.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
He hadn't scored so far this season.........until the last game when he bagged 5.
Nice, I was speaking to someone over the summer who's to do with the youth set up and Wilson was the one out of that crop that he thinks will go all the way.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Finally caught some highlights of the game against Spurs, both of Wilson's goals were high quality.

He blew by his defender on the left for the first, as well as showing good control to slow his run enough to get around the goalkeeper. The second wasn't quite as spectacular, Love made a blazing run down the right and played in Wilson, who spins to get some space, freezes the defender with a drop of the shoulder and then fires the ball in the far bottom corner with his left foot.

Thisistheone

Finally caught some highlights of the game against Spurs, both of Wilson's goals were high quality.

He blew by his defender on the left for the first, as well as showing good control to slow his run enough to get around the goalkeeper. The second wasn't quite as spectacular, Love made a blazing run down the right and played in Wilson, who spins to get some space, freezes the defender with a drop of the shoulder and then fires the ball in the far bottom corner with his left foot.
Any links to that game please?

Barely HangingonEmu

I haven't seen too much of him to be honest but from what I have seen is that he likes to run with the ball a lot and he's a really good finisher inside the box too. That's all I could gather really, could be well off.

Drainy

Don't think he's at all like Will Keane. From what I've seen of him he's not really a winger or a striker either, rather something in between.
Think Mo0 was saying that his coolness around the penalty area reminds him of Will Keane, not his overall play style. I wouldn't disagree, they are both very comfortable taking extra touches, manipulating the ball and finishing in the penalty area

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Don't think he's at all like Will Keane. From what I've seen of him he's not really a winger or a striker either, rather something in between.
Different player, but that second goal the other day was a bit like Keane to be fair. That was some quality pace for the first - exciting talent, no doubt.

mo0

Think Mo0 was saying that his coolness around the penalty area reminds him of Will Keane, not his overall play style. I wouldn't disagree, they are both very comfortable taking extra touches, manipulating the ball and finishing in the penalty area
what Drainy said :)

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Obvious similarities to Billy the Kid when he first broke onto the scene imo. His style has changed quite a bit over the years though.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I'm not quite so enthused. But that's just me.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Looks a top prospect and not far off from being too good for this level.
I wouldn't say that. He needs a consistant season and there's no rush. It's frightening to think of the batch of young strikers at the club. It's great. I'd like to see Wilson do it for the duration.

Tooni

I wouldn't say that. He needs a consistant season and there's no rush. It's frightening to think of the batch of young strikers at the club. It's great. I'd like to see Wilson do it for the duration.
I reckon it depends on his mental strength. If he can accept that he won't probably be this effective against older opponents and not let it affect his confidence then I don't see any harm in fast tracking him. The way I see it is he is an intelligent player in mould of Thomas Muller and he is only going to get better by playing against defenders who are a level above him in both physical and mental maturity. Not that it doesn't apply to other players but I can see him stagnate after sometime even if he is banging them in for fun.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
With the first phase of the U18 Premier League over it's worth noting that Wilson has 12 goals in 11 starts and 1 sub, with 16 goals in all competitions in 14 starts and 4 subs.

The team is also 8-0 in games where he scores, where we've outscored opponents 33-6. He also scored 2 or more goals in 5 games.

2 vs. Revo Express (8-0)
1 vs. Ichifuna (2-1)
5 @ Newcastle (7-1)
2 vs. Tottenham (3-1)
1 @ Tatran Presov (2-1)
1 vs. Newcastle (3-0)
2 @ Sunderland (4-0)
2 vs. Soton (4-2)

Certainly one of the top performers on a talented U18 team.

mo0

likes playing in the northeast by the looks.

so, in total, is that 18 matches played since August?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He turned 17 on Dec 1. Made his first U18's appearance at 15 and his first reserves appearance recently at 16. That tells you a great deal about how good the coaching staff think that he is.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It sure would be exciting to see him get a first team appearance sometime this year. Of course Macheda, Henriquez, King and Will Keane (once fit) will all be wanting those minutes ahead of him.

Drainy

It sure would be exciting to see him get a first team appearance sometime this year. Of course Macheda, Henriquez, King and Will Keane (once fit) will all be wanting those minutes ahead of him.
If and when he's given a chance in the first team (possibly he'll get some time in next year's preseason), I think he'll be introduced at left wing.

Can't see Macheda making it past the next summer, King has also said he will leave if he's not near the 1st team after this year.

mo0

1st team in 2012/13 won't happen. by simply looking at import purchases - Henriquez is way ahead of him by the mere fact money was paid (and he's an int'l). give it to the 2013/14 season before even thinking about it. ways to go yet!

+ WK is back in Jan :D

KanieKaned

King has also said he will leave if he's not near the 1st team after this year.
He should maybe just become fecking outstanding overnight then. I'm actually amazed that young lads plying their trade at one of the biggest clubs around are thinking like this, ffs your only a nipper.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
The youngsters are getting representation a lot sooner that they did just a couple of years ago. That's too much pressure on the kids and their families.

Drainy

1st team in 2012/13 won't happen. by simply looking at import purchases - Henriquez is way ahead of him by the mere fact money was paid (and he's an int'l). give it to the 2013/14 season before even thinking about it. ways to go yet!

+ WK is back in Jan :D
There's an outside shot for a pre-season appearance like the Januzaj one if we're playing in a testimonial game. The fact he can also play on the wing is helpful, but you are most likely right that he's a few years away from being given a proper chance.

mo0

The youngsters are getting representation a lot sooner that they did just a couple of years ago. That's too much pressure on the kids and their families.
could arguably say the opposite. look at Cleverley - first app in South Africa on pre-season duty, made his proper 1st team bow a few years later.

Zeki Fryers similar situation, bar the loan moves.

ultimately depends on the position and the circumstances.

but agree - far too much pressure! just have to read this youth section to see that :)

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He should maybe just become fecking outstanding overnight then. I'm actually amazed that young lads plying their trade at one of the biggest clubs around are thinking like this, ffs your only a nipper.
From their perspective though: they are able to go and find first team football elsewhere whilst earning more money. If they have no affiliation to the club or are more pragmatic than romantic, there is little to encourage them to stay here.