James Wilson

Conrad

He really loves chewing gum doesn't he? I always think their is something wrong with his teeth but it's just the gum he clamps between his teeth.

jb8521

Wilson eyes headed goals
James Wilson is hoping to score more headed goals next season after being praised by coach Nicky Butt for his aerial prowess.
Butt, who was in charge of the UEFA Youth League side captained by the striker last term, was filmed by ITV's Life of Ryan documentary discussing the teenager's merits ahead of his dream two-goal debut against Hull City in May.

"Wilson is unbelievable in the six-yard box," commented Butt. "He's got the best standing spring you've ever seen in your life."

The leading Under-21s scorer noticeably put his aerial ability to good use in a defensive capacity as the campaign wore on but only one of his impressive haul of 24 goals was a header - which came in a 2-1 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk's Under-19s in Ukraine.

"I was first put in there in pre-season at the near post," he explained to ManUtd.com, when discussing defending set-pieces. "Like Robin van Persie does for the first team.

"I shied away from a couple in the friendlies and they criticised me for that. Obviously, the coaches continued to put me there and I’ve worked on it a bit and have found myself clearing a lot more balls.

"In terms of the other end, I can only remember one headed goal all season, at Shakhtar Donetsk. I’ve got an alright leap and I can flick on goal-kicks and do well defensively. Attacking-wise, it seems to have not been falling for me but I don’t know why I haven't scored many headers. Hopefully, that will change."

eddiebb

gobshite
Um, it's how high he can jump from a standing start - i.e. with no run up. Fairly self-explanatory, I would have thought?

Revan

Assumptionman
It would be quite funny - that while we talk if Robin or Wayne will be our main striker - LVG decides that Wilson is his man. Obviously that is very unlikely to happen, but he should find a Muller in our team and Wilson seems the best of the lot.

ricky-romeo

want to see him part of the USA tour, with van persie likely to be rested this is a huge opportunity for wilson to impress.

he could be the one "mullered" by LVG

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It would be quite funny - that while we talk if Robin or Wayne will be our main striker - LVG decides that Wilson is his man. Obviously that is very unlikely to happen, but he should find a Muller in our team and Wilson seems the best of the lot.
It's why I think Hernandez will be sold. Wilson will take over his role in the squad.

The Red Thinker

want to see him part of the USA tour, with van persie likely to be rested this is a huge opportunity for wilson to impress.

he could be the one "mullered" by LVG
I really fecking hope not. Last thing we need is for our next manager to start killing our players.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's why I think Hernandez will be sold. Wilson will take over his role in the squad.
It makes sense. Despite how much I love Chicha (he has been my favorite player since he came here) he should leave IMO for the good of his career but also we will be good IMO without him. Wilson seems a very hot prospect and it will be a big shame if we don't give him a chance to shine. I think that he is one of those players who don't need a loan.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It makes sense. Despite how much I love Chicha (he has been my favorite player since he came here) he should leave IMO for the good of his career but also we will be good IMO without him. Wilson seems a very hot prospect and it will be a big shame if we don't give him a chance to shine. I think that he is one of those players who don't need a loan.
I'm still of the opinion that most attacking players shouldn't be loaned out anyway unless to PL clubs.

As for Hernandez, he's way too good to be sat on the bench and should rightly go for first team football. Don't think anyone at the club would begrudge him that wish.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm still of the opinion that most attacking players shouldn't be loaned out anyway unless to PL clubs.

As for Hernandez, he's way too good to be sat on the bench and should rightly go for first team football. Don't think anyone at the club would begrudge him that wish.
Agree. Even to PL clubs is a big if IMO considering that there are some teams that play very phycisal football that for most of the players isn't a suitable way of playing. If Martinez for example would get interested on him then probably would be good to loan Wilson, but for teams of Pulis/Allardyce etc there is no point on loan IMO.

Brightonian

Everton is pretty much the only team I'd want us to loan him out to. Clubs with more resources than them won't play him enough, and clubs with less either play the wrong sort of football or will be mired in the relegation struggle and won't have the luxury of gambling on a youngster from another club.

If Martinez came in for him in a similar loan move to Delofeu's last season, I think that would be a fantastic option for him. But otherwise we should just keep him here. If Hernandez goes, we should definitely keep him here - the timing is actually beautiful for him to replace Chico in our squad if it comes to that.

hebegebe

If Hernandez goes, we should definitely keep him here - the timing is actually beautiful for him to replace Chico in our squad if it comes to that.[/

Agreed, two footed with pace, deserves his chance to prove himself.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
As much as I would enjoy watching him play for the first team, what matters now is developing his game, which means playing games.

Chicharito's development has been hindered by his lack of playing time, I don't want the same thing to happen to Wilson.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
As much as I would enjoy watching him play for the first team, what matters now is developing his game, which means playing games.

Chicharito's development has been hindered by his lack of playing time, I don't want the same thing to happen to Wilson.
He already has the quality to play premier league standard I feel. I'd like to see him go to one of the newly promoted sides, could see him bag 10+ goals.

Bwuk

Don't loan him.

His development will be better with us.

Rowem

gently, down the stream

I'm pretty on the fence about whether to keep him or loan him somewhere he could be first choice (I have no idea what level that would be, for a start), but one thing in favour of keeping him would be his age. If Wilson got as much playing time as Hernandez it would be plenty enough at his current age, and he would be well placed in a few years to step up when Rooney/RVP are too old. A big problem for Hernandez is that he is only a few years younger than Rooney, and Berbs/Van Persie always had a few more years in them, so there was never really a foreseeable path to the first team for him.

hebegebe

The only way he should be loaned is if he is guaranteed games.
No keep him at the club, I want him mentored by van Gaal, not some mid table manager.

If the talent's there, van Gaal will spot it, then it's up to Wilson to try and step up.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Moyes brought him in for the Newcastle game when Rvp & Rooney were injured.
Yes, but the better reserve players often train with the first team even if they aren't being put on the bench or needed because of injury. This usually doesn't get much mention in the media unless you look for it.

I want to say Wilson was training with the first team for most of the 2nd half of last season but I could be off.

m1y2

Thorgan Hazard is on loan at Monchengladbach next season

Monchengladbach have to pay less (loan deal) money to Chelsea for every match he plays

It's the first time i've heard that from a loan deal
Maybe we should be looking for that kind of deal. Anyway the loan deal itself for wilson wouldn't be worth much in terms of money so the other team wouldn't care benching him. I would even buy his time in side but that would look awfull and is not happening and every kid should deserve their chances.. But sometimes it is not happening for someone, like Lingard at Leicester whether he got the edge to make it there I don´t know I don't watch much of championship football but still club should aspire to find the manager who will want to work with the loanee. I think Steve Bruce or Roberto Martinez are good "loan" managers even Henriquez wasn't good enough to be played more than few matches. Anyway they are now at Hull and Everton respectively, and do we have players they would like to work with? Maybe we could find some but Wilson is not the player they are well stocked and above his level. I don't think he would be played in decent amount of matches in any PL team atm. I think he could play in champ and bulk up there gain some more confidence and goals that is what striker needs. I thought the same about Januzaj but he proved me wrong but I think hes better talent than Wilson and playing on the wing doesn' t need that much of physical ability.

mo0

playing 90' outweighs sitting on the bench for any club, anywhere in the world. that's England's biggest issue at the moment. U21 football isn't competitive enough and not every Football League loan results in playing time! 18-21 pathways.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Maybe we should be looking for that kind of deal. Anyway the loan deal itself for wilson wouldn't be worth much in terms of money so the other team wouldn't care benching him. I would even buy his time in side but that would look awfull and is not happening and every kid should deserve their chances.. But sometimes it is not happening for someone, like Lingard at Leicester whether he got the edge to make it there I don´t know I don't watch much of championship football but still club should aspire to find the manager who will want to work with the loanee. I think Steve Bruce or Roberto Martinez are good "loan" managers even Henriquez wasn't good enough to be played more than few matches. Anyway they are now at Hull and Everton respectively, and do we have players they would like to work with? Maybe we could find some but Wilson is not the player they are well stocked and above his level. I don't think he would be played in decent amount of matches in any PL team atm. I think he could play in champ and bulk up there gain some more confidence and goals that is what striker needs. I thought the same about Januzaj but he proved me wrong but I think hes better talent than Wilson and playing on the wing doesn' t need that much of physical ability.
I'd look at Wigan for Wilson. They liked having Powell there last year, regardless of the fact his attitude got him dropped towards the end of the season under the new manager. They need a striker or two to help them score goals and it's not even far away from Manchester so Wilson would be in familiar surroundings.