Jamie Carragher: "Manchester United remind me of Liverpool over the past 30 years"

Champagne Football

We're definitely miles better than any Liverpool team pre-Klopp of the last 30 years. But Klopp could be the Ferguson of his times. He's a level above all other managers including Pep right now. It's very possible he can dominate with Liverpool for the next few years but hopefully not and hopefully Ole and Phelan can land us another title soon.

But Fergie used to win titles even when we were the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league and I think Klopp has that same brilliance that can help them pip their nearest rivals to the title. Should be a classic race next season with Chelsea definitely in the 4 horse race mix too.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Klopp took only 2 years to turn a bunch of jokers to CL champions. I dont care how Liverpool were 30 years back. With the right setup and management, we can be back to top in an year or two.

We are on the right path and will need 2 more windows to have a complete team. Our title challenging will happen on 21/22.

Trophy Room

He's not far off. We are at risk of having to endure couple of barren decades. Ole and the club seem to be doing the right things though to give us a chance to consistently compete at the top. Still think Liverpool will win the title next year too and be favourites for it the year after.

Greck

Nothing wrong with what he said. The onus is now on us to prove this isn't just another cycle of false optimism. When Klopp came they started making finals and threatening Europe's elite very early on. He put to shame those empty rebuild efforts they had been hyping every year for 30 years. Showed them there's usually little room for doubt when a team is inching to contention. There's a reason we could all tell they were a good defence from being contenders in 2017, 2018.

They are experts on boom-bust cycles, false dawns and those late season resurgences that have everyone thinking "next year for sure"

Last edited:

RedHobot

I belive we have aome distance to go yet, our squad isn't that deep and were still carrying deadwoods aplenty.
But a couple good addition and a lucky (no major injuries and a few stars aligning) run and were there.

Last edited:

cyberman

This is what? The second time in 7 years we think we could have a team to challenge?
We are nothing alike

RUCK4444

Jamie Carragher can get fecked. This United team, whilst not being near one of our best, would spank 99% of the Liverpool teams of the past 30 years.

Shame he never won the title himself and they don't give trophies for spitting in children's faces Jamie.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Carragher enjoying his opportunity to troll us, and it will continue until we can win the title. It’s up to the club and it’s fans to make that happen ASAP

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Does everyone in this thread have a telegraph subscription?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think winning the league will be much more difficult in the near future than it was 30 years ago. The number of competitive teams in the next few years will be a lot more than peak-Fergie years -- when at max there were really only two other clubs who could best us to a title.
You throw in the barcodes in the next couple of seasons, we maybe talking about a Top 9 mini-league.
Great for the neutrals but I don't think it will ever be the same again.

djembatheking

feck Carragher, what does he know about winning titles. He tried to tell Keano that this Liverpool team were better than Uniteds treble winners and might go the season unbeaten winning multiple titles . They ended up getting knocked out of two cups and losing their unbeaten run within weeks, dickhead .

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
In case you were wondering, Jamie, no, we haven't forgotten when you spat on that 10-year-old girl, making her blind in both eyes and breaking her legs in the process. We will never forget.

Matst1

I dont think many have read the article. He makes somewhat of a good point, but we are not Liverpool, different circumstances to the Liverpool of the past decade or so, we will win the league in the next 3-5 years.

Besides, why listen to someone who spits out of his car window at people, completely forgetting that he works on live television for a living. He’s a bit of a tw@t

spiriticon

We'll be chomping on their heels in a few years.

Van Dijk's already 29. Soon to be past it :)

sp_107

Carragher enjoying his opportunity to troll us, and it will continue until we can win the title. It’s up to the club and it’s fans to make that happen ASAP
true, one tittle and they started coming out with these comments...hope we will win it too soon to shut them foe good

yan man utd

Liverpool legend desperately trying to play down our chances and probably big up the bestest team ever, who have won exactly one league title, shocker! Granted, I’ve not read every post on redcafe, but I’ve seen exactly one thread, which was full of posters cautioning it, that asks the questioning if we can win the title next season. There must be something in the water over there. What does Carragher know about title winning teams anyway?
Exactly!
1 Liverpool - fine - deserve the title this season but let’s face it it’s a freak season - second place losing so many games and all the the big clubs under performing
2 Liverpool have a fine team - ok - but klopp has taken a number of players up another level and bar 4 or 5 the rest would not walk into any other team on individual ability
3 they have won the league once!
4 in Europe things change overnight- since when do you have to wait in line to win the league - he is trying to create a psychology that they have it sewn up for seasons to come. It’s nonsense but we must not take too much confidence from our recent run. Klopp gets them to run and run and run - don’t know how. We need one or two players to compensate for his team of marathon runners

Green_Red

I mean, if we’re still were we’re currently sitting in 25 years time, he definitely has a point.

Otherwise you might as well say we remind you of Liverpool two seasons ago. And I’ll take that trajectory!
nicely put

some one should remind jamie that in the last 10 years United still have more leagues than the current champions. We've a bit to go before we're anywhere near as desparate as Liverpoo were.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Well I'd bloody fecking hope so Carragher and you are not alone. I think if you ask any Liverpool fan they'll say that Manchester United remind them of the past 30 years. #triggered

Skeezix

There's Slippy Gerrard

And there's Spitty Carragher.

Can't read the article as it is behind a paywall/signin. And can't trust headlines. And definitely, I can't trust a man who spat on a man and his daughter because of football banter. And he's scouse.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Our front three have more goals than Liverpool's. Their currently striker's middle name is 'no goals'.

InfiniteBoredom

Where were Pool’s winning mentality/culture before Klopp rocked up at Anfield? They weren’t called Loserpool for no reason.

Things change quickly in football, a good coach with a clear vision, a supportive board, a few shrewd signings are usually enough to change a team’s fortune around. Next season is when we get to see whether we have those.

Number32

We all should understand his pain during that 30 years period.

He cares so much about us, to be honest it's a good advice to not be like them in 30 years.

They could had at least 1 title with the spice boys, but they put too much pressure for them to deliver. Lets hope we wouldn't made the same mistake next season, patient is the key.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Anyone who follows me know that I am far from a top red. However there's few reasons not to be optimistic about this team

If I have to compare this team to a previous side then it would be the 'you can never win with kids' one. The squad had weaknesses back then as well but it enjoyed great morale and loads of promising talent

Ole is no SAF and there is actual competition now

Last edited:

Josh 76

Carragher is a slimy fecking prick. He is one of those guys that would be nice to your face, but slag you off behind your back.
He reminds me of a kid in the play ground who use to take football banter over the top and get a few slaps for it.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
We're the talk of the town again so of course the child-drenching, hubcap-coveting troglodyte is going to attempt to crowbar Liverpool into the focal point of his analysis.

Joseunited

Enjoy your title Jamie. Stop obsessing about United.

Imagine winning your first title in 30 years and still writing about opposition teams
This.No sooner had Liverpool won the title and out he came with the back on our perch quote. He'd been waiting 30 years to be able to say that the moron.I wouldn't read anything he writes.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You could say that about every manager and team that hasn't yet won the league. Until you win, you are unproven.

Dan_F

Depending on the recruitment in the summer, I’d be disappointed if we were scraping top four again. Signing Sancho and a high quality defender would put our squad right up there in terms of personnel. Not saying we should be expecting to stick with Man City and Liverpool all season, but we can’t be battling the likes of Leicester and Wolves in March.