Jamie Carragher

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No that was in comparison with JWP if you were chasing a goal, Carragher’s midfield was Mount Rice Henderson
Ah ok, I was struggling to keep up through the noise of squeals and drool coming from him

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
What was Jamie saying about Trent on the big stage?

Djemba-Djemba

This cnut is constantly running his mouth.

I remember that debate with Keane a year ago where he tried arguing this current Liverpool side were better than the treble winners, I wonder if he'd want to debate that now.

And yesterday he was almost in tears defending TAA. Interesting to see what he says now.

Idxomer

I'm surprised at the praise he gets sometimes as a pundit, he always talks like he's about to spit in your face.

MrSwellman

I thought Carragher had Neville in the England debate, he has him in most debates really.

Gary Neville's out dated and defensive minded views are part of the reason why England have failed in the past (since Neville was part of England coaching under Hodgson).

Neville's views in how Maguire would be a bigger loss to England than Kane and how Trent Alexander Arnold shouldn't be going to the Euro's is ridiculous really, it's like saying prime Roberto Carlos shouldn't be in the Brazil squad because he wasn't the best defensively, not saying TAA is Roberto Carlos, but he offers something unique (and a world class unique) like Roberto Carlos did at full back.

I've said it before, out of all the exciting youngsters England have coming through TAA is right at the very top of this list.
Feck me, talk about getting it undeniably wrong on almost every point made in a single post.

Also, as if Carragher is some revolutionary in his punditry and not just a ex-pro with gigantic Liverpool bias.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The two relevant segments are here:

I've just watched this segment after hearing a bit of this and that about it in the last day or so. My God Carragher comes across as a knobhead; needling Neville at every opportunity and making up rubbish regarding the 'Gareth's pick v Neville's own opinion' question.

For me picking your 'squad' for a tournament can be an odd thought experiment; where you bring a bit of baggage, bias and slant to your picks and there is always an opportunity to contradict yourself with your reasoning and go out on a few limbs. I see both Carragher and Neville making some questionable picks but the former takes the biscuit with a squad of nine defenders (Coady on the plane!), Bellingham (CL for Dortmund!), but no Sancho (not convinced about him in an England shirt), while talking about willing ourselves to dominate the ball more while Gary shakes his head looking at Henderson and Rice.

They've both bought into the awful bantz-style of News UK/BSkyB to a large extent but Gary was visibly pissed off by the end with Carragher needling him with hot takes (the Venables stuff was particularly tragic) while Gary tries to discuss football.

Last edited:

SirMarcusRashford

The debate carried on after as well
Because Gary Neville knew he lost in the studio and decided to carry it and record it carrying on to save face. Other than the RedCafe, Gary Neville was the laugh of social media yesterday in some of his views (ie TAA/Maguire and Kane).

What was Jamie saying about Trent on the big stage?
Never understand comments like this, ie:- 90 mins prove the whole opinions about him is warranted, other than this season TAA has been amazing and amazing in the big games, Barcelona for example.

The guy is 22 years of age, played in 2 Champions League finals (winning 1) and has a Premier League title, TAA was a big part of the reason Liverpool doing this, if he was a dud right back Liverpool would never have gone on to achieve what they have recent seasons, you can't have any passengers in elite football.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Chill out @SirMarcusRashford, they barely touched upon how Carragher and yourself got the TAA argument mistaken. I honestly can't believe despite being proven wrong you are still arguing this case.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Because Gary Neville knew he lost in the studio and decided to carry it and record it carrying on to save face. Other than the RedCafe, Gary Neville was the laugh of social media yesterday in some of his views (ie TAA/Maguire and Kane).

Never understand comments like this, ie:- 90 mins prove the whole opinions about him is warranted, other than this season TAA has been amazing and amazing in the big games, Barcelona for example.

The guy is 22 years of age, played in 2 Champions League finals (winning 1) and has a Premier League title, TAA was a big part of the reason Liverpool doing this, if he was a dud right back Liverpool would never have gone on to achieve what they have recent seasons, you can't have any passengers in elite football.
You’re wrong

SirMarcusRashford

Chill out @SirMarcusRashford, they barely touched upon how Carragher and yourself got the TAA argument mistaken. I honestly can't believe despite being proven wrong you are still arguing this case.
Proven wrong :lol:

I'm coming out with all these facts/statistics, telling you all to look at his Champions League/Premier League and World champions medals all sprawled out on the table ie:- showing at just 22 years of age he's all blinged up like BA Baracus when he decided to put them around his neck as a means to show how good he is.

Yet some SOMEHOW I'm proven wrong because of 90mins of football yesterday, got to love the good old RedCafe :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I'm coming out with all these facts/statistics, sticking all his Champions League/Premier League and World champions medals on the table and ie:- showing at just 22 years of age he's all blinged up like BA Baracus as a means to show how good he is.

Yet some SOMEHOW I'm proven wrong because of 90mins of football yesterday, got to love the good old RedCafe :lol:
Mate Neville rates TAA, he has him in his own bleedin' squad. He was talking about what he thinks Southgate will pick and what his reasons could be.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I'm coming out with all these facts/statistics, telling you to all look at his Champions League/Premier League and World champions medals all sprawled out on the table ie:- showing at just 22 years of age he's all blinged up like BA Baracus when he decided to put them around his neck as a means to show how good he is.

David may was some player, would put BA to shame

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Carraghers squad for the Euros was bloody dreadful. 9 defenders

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

I'm coming out with all these facts/statistics, telling you all to look at his Champions League/Premier League and World champions medals all sprawled out on the table ie:- showing at just 22 years of age he's all blinged up like BA Baracus when he decided to put them around his neck as a means to show how good he is.

You weren't proven wrong on yesterday's performance. You were proven wrong because you like Carragher fail to differentiate the difference between when someone's own opinion (Neville rating TAA highly) and when they try to understand how someone else might make a decision (Neville understanding why Southgate didn't pick him).

So chill out.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There's been numerous good players who haven't translated their club form to the national sides, we've had a fair few.

Still, Trent has time on his side but I can understand why Southgate may not pick him for this upcoming tournament.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

You do understand you've completely contradicted yourself? My comment wasn't about 90 minutes in isolation. It was about 90 minutes underpinning what has been a disappointing season for Trent. You even said so yourself. "other than this season..."

No need to get so het up. I think Trent on form is absolutely phenomenal. But he isn't in form and hasn't really been all season, so I don't have any problems with what Gary said and Southgate not including him in his most recent squad.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just saw his video with Neville on sky about who they would pick.

What is this guys problem? Just constantly heckling :lol: Neville put him in his place more than once (calling him trump or Boris :lol:). Is he told by sky to constantly be contrarian or is that just him?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Alright Jamie calm down.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I've just watched this segment after hearing a bit of this and that about it in the last day or so. My God Carragher comes across as a knobhead; needling Neville at every opportunity and making up rubbish regarding the 'Gareth's pick v Neville's own opinion' question.

For me picking your 'squad' for a tournament can be an odd thought experiment; where you bring a bit of baggage, bias and slant to your picks and there is always an opportunity to contradict yourself with your reasoning and go out on a few limbs. I see both Carragher and Neville making some questionable picks but the former takes the biscuit with a squad of nine defenders (Coady on the plane!), Bellingham (CL for Dortmund!), but no Sancho (not convinced about him in an England shirt), while talking about willing ourselves to dominate the ball more while Gary shakes his head looking at Henderson and Rice.

They've both bought into the awful bantz-style of News UK/BSkyB to a large extent but Gary was visibly pissed off by the end with Carragher needling him with hot takes (the Venables stuff was particularly tragic) while Gary tries to discuss football.
Gary speaks really well there. Good reasoned arguments backed up with experience, answers Carraghers points. Carragher comes off like a child throwing his toys about of the prom because Trent.

Mike Smalling

What is this guys problem? Just constantly heckling :lol: Neville put him in his place more than once (calling him trump or Boris :lol:). Is he told by sky to constantly be contrarian or is that just him?
I get the impression that he is starting to buy into the whole Sky Sports 'HEATED debate' thing, and that he thinks there has to be disagreement and banter for it to be interesting. He came across as willfully ignorant and a right clown in that segment. I don't think it was instruction by Sky, because Neville seemed quite taken aback by it.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

Coady is 50/50 to go I imagine, hardly a crazy shout. Neville has Greenwood going and Henderson starting in goal, no one outside of Utd circles would agree with that.

arnie_ni

Coady is 50/50 to go I imagine, hardly a crazy shout. Neville has Greenwood going and Henderson starting in goal, no one outside of Utd circles would agree with that.
Which would be worth a debate, except carragher didn't bat an eye at either inclusion.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I found Neville's push for Greenwood very bizarre to be fair. Not as bizarre as Carrager for Trent, but still weird.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I found Neville's push for Greenwood very bizarre to be fair. Not as bizarre as Carrager for Trent, but still weird.
I thought both were a bit weird on Alexander-Arnold tbh.

Carragher because he couldn't seem to comprehend that Neville could give reasons as to why Southgate won't pick him whilst also personally saying he should go. Neville I found a bit weird in that he says TAA has to go but wouldn't trust him to play against Perisic ... I mean if you don't trust him to play against Perisic then that's not exactly a glowing endorsement is it? In that regard you're basically taking him in the event that England are chasing a game and you need that quality from RB but then it also goes against his earlier point about what if the starter(like he mentioned at LB when choosing between Chilwell and Saka as Shaw's backup) was to get injured, if you don't have faith in him to play against Croatia then what happens if we come up against Germany/France/Portugal/Spain etc?

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Greenwood is an outside bet, but Neville is right that in terms of a pure finisher (if Kane was injured) you'd want Greenwood.

Henderson starting in goal isn't as absurd either, when you take into account Pickford's form and injuries, and Pope being iffy as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I thought both were a bit weird on Alexander-Arnold tbh.

Carragher because he couldn't seem to comprehend that Neville could give reasons as to why Southgate won't pick him whilst also personally saying he should go. Neville I found a bit weird in that he says TAA has to go but wouldn't trust him to play against Perisic ... I mean if you don't trust him to play against Perisic then that's not exactly a glowing endorsement is it? In that regard you're basically taking him in the event that England are chasing a game and you need that quality from RB but then it also goes against his earlier point about what if the starter(like he mentioned at LB when choosing between Chilwell and Saka as Shaw's backup) was to get injured, if you don't have faith in him to play against Croatia then what happens if we come up against Germany/France/Portugal/Spain etc?
Neville said more bizarre things than Charrager did in the whole exchange.

Charrager was definitely wrong on the whole TAA segment. But Neville was trying to justify Trent for weaker teams and not against Croatia, which was odd as you put it. He also suggested England should be expected to have 35-40% possession against the better sides in the tournament which was just lunacy. I don't know why he said that or where he was coming from, but it grossly undervalued the capability of our players.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Both Charrager and Neville were really shite in that video. I don't think it was just Charrager. I'm still laughing at Neville thinking our technical quality isn't one of the best.
Our individual technical ability is as high as it’s ever been.

Our combined technical ability as a team isn’t all that. It’s still a team of very good technical players relying on not conceding and hoping they create something, which they generally do. We’re well behind most top international teams on the technical/tactical front.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Take your hand off it.

TAA is a top footballer. But he doesn’t suit Southgates system. More for the fact that he’s a terrible coach I should add.

For what it’s worth, I could argue for playing TAA aa a midfielder than a right back under the current manager and system. It’s a tough sell to take him as a right back and play as we do right now.

Square pegs shouldn’t go in round holes.

SATA

Carragher speaks like a mother whose kid (TAA) hasn’t got selected into the school team and was trying all means to justify his selection for the entire world to see. Utterly embarrassing and cringeful to watch

SuperiorXI

To be honest you'd go mad having to deal with Carragher all the time butting in with his whiny scouse accent. I'd of lost the plot a long time ago.

izec

Our individual technical ability is as high as it’s ever been.

Our combined technical ability as a team isn’t all that. It’s still a team of very good technical players relying on not conceding and hoping they create something, which they generally do. We’re well behind most top international teams on the technical/tactical front.
Most top teams struggle as a team and/or individually currently. France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal all have some problems as a team and some are really struggling with quality. England are as good as any side bar France individually, but Southgate can't maximise the potential.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Most top teams struggle as a team and/or individually currently. France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal all have some problems as a team and some are really struggling with quality. England are as good as any side bar France individually, but Southgate can't maximise the potential.
I agree. We have a Championship level manager in charge of a Champions League level squad. I think he’s awful. He was necessary for 12-24 months. He did lots of things right off the field. But he’s an empty head tactically.

We could win the next Euros and WC with a world class manager.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Greenwood is an outside bet, but Neville is right that in terms of a pure finisher (if Kane was injured) you'd want Greenwood.

Henderson starting in goal isn't as absurd either, when you take into account Pickford's form and injuries, and Pope being iffy as well.
Given Pope played all 3 qualifiers its pretty safe to say if he is fit he would start over Henderson, Southgate seems pretty rigid about his pecking order for keepers, both reserve keepers need to play more but they rarely do for England