Jamie Jackson writing Sancho press releases for United...

Womp

idiot
We won't sign him. He will join Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern or Barca imo. He will cost too much of our budget and we fecked around this summer, not addressing the areas we needed to. We absolutely need a DM and a CB, potentially a ST too, with Upamecano etc. becoming available, I see us pursuing that. It's unfortunate, but we blew our chance imo. He would probably be a bit reluctant as well, we didn't exactly paint ourselves as a well run organization with this saga.

Regarding the article: it's all PR bollocks to try and mask the absolute shit show that was this window. 1. I don't buy the rubbish that you can't justify the finances, you bought the club with a feck tonne of money you didn't have, let's not pretend you suddenly give a shit about potential debt. 2. Even if that was the case, people are pissed off at the lack of preparation. This price was dictated before the window started basically. We fecked around and missed out on proper alternatives/being able to strengthen other parts of the squad. Had we brought in Upa at the beginning of the window when he was available - brought in a DM as well as VDB, next window we could have had a proper shot at him with him being our only target.

lewwoo

They knew weeks if not months ago they weren't going to sign him. It was in their interests to string everybody on until the final day though so they could say they tried. Didn't have to spend big on anybody else either and could rush through a couple youth players and reserves on the final day.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
They will sell Sancho to Bayern for 65 million, after Salihamidzic takes Zorc for dinner and a show. If only Matt Judge was able to perform a reach around!!
I'm afraid a Jürgen hug will beat a Brazzo dinner at any given time :(

LVGSdive

Shame the journos can't shut the feck up. It was the same crap all last year if we get CL football Sancho will come and all this rubbish and we all know how that ended.

I'll say what I've said since day one Jadon Sancho will never be a man utd player.

For a minute when everyone reported personal terms were agreed I got sucked in but then I saw the €120m fee and knew this will never happen. If we had decent owners we could have had both him and Haaland in our team now but instead we are stuck with the charlatan Glazers and ended up with 2 unknown 18 year olds instead.
How is it the Glaziers fault Haland and Sancho didn't come? Especially Haland, I'm sure the Glaziers would have loved to have spent what Dortmund spent on Haland to get him. Just look around the squad and see players of lesser quality than Haland who they spent a fortune on.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He could have a mediocre season and we might start to see the real effects of covid come through.

I think there’s more chance his price will decrease next year, than increase.

If you look at what clubs spent, the PL was down 7%, and if ie wasn’t for Chelsea’s transfer ban, that’s difference would have been far higher (they would have spent more last year, and less this year).

Every other big league has seen dramatic decreases in transfer spending.
I highly doubt his price will increase but Dortmund probably won’t ask anything below 90m. We shouldn’t be trying to break our transfer record anymore for someone like Sancho, not worthy. I think 89m should remain as our highest record for a while.

I don’t think it‘s worth to waste massive money and time trying to get Sancho.

They knew weeks if not months ago they weren't going to sign him. It was in their interests to string everybody on until the final day though so they could say they tried. Didn't have to spend big on anybody else either and could rush through a couple youth players and reserves on the final day.
I disagree with this completely. How does dragging this out to the final day support their interests? It doesn’t, and it one of the reasons for the backlash.

I think we were genuinely interested. We won’t know the full story, as everyone will be posturing to present a positive view. However, if Utd ended up with the same players, but ended The Sancho pursuit 6 weeks ago, then it’s clear they would be in a better place in terms of PR.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I mean in theory I agree with the fact it wasn't financially prudent to make that size of an investment this summer. I personly think the way football clubs have acted this summer with spending has been beyond reckless and we are going to see some clubs really suffer for it in the next few years.

My issue with the Sancho deal, is well Duh, of course, he was going to cost that amount of money, why did they even bother looking at it if they knew they weren't going to spend that amount.

It's just another sign what an absolute mess out club is in terms of planning and squad building.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's a nonsense PR piece and about as transparent as our regular Director of Football briefings. Sancho cost exactly the same yesterday and he did two months ago. If we really did think it was too much why didn't we say so in August and move on to other targets?
This is the crux of it.
And from some of the info now coming out, United did make initial contact with Dortmund back in March.
The point is that United must have known the cost, or at least should have known the cost for months, and yet were apparently undeterred, so undeterred that they were still briefing that they were confident a deal would be done up until the middle of September.

If United had said months ago, "we just cannot afford Sancho in this Covid climate, so we are signing Traore and using whatever other funds we have for a CB" I think that the vast majority of fans would have accepted that.
But now that its all fallen apart, Covid is to blame, but I'm sure that as time goes by, we'll hear more revelations about the conduct of United's negotiators.

Aretak

I think we were genuinely interested. We won’t know the full story, as everyone will be posturing to present a positive view. However, if Utd ended up with the same players, but ended The Sancho pursuit 6 weeks ago, then it’s clear they would be in a better place in terms of PR.
Raphael Honigstein claims as much. He says that the club genuinely thought that they'd force Dortmund into lowering their asking price by playing hardball, but that Dortmund were never going to crack and considered the matter closed after the August deadline passed. He described the situation as "playing a poker game against somebody who wasn't even at the table".

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Lots of revisionist history in this thread. Most of the Caf were Sancho or bust AND very confident the deal would get done. Now many are acting as if any RW would have done.

Word for the wise. Just accept the egg on your face and stop shifting goal posts :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I mean the total outlay on pogba is surely close to 200 million euros over his contract. Its not like they are paying it in one go and also can't add value to it or even recoup some of it with sales.
No way we would have signed Pogba this window. The club acted prudently. We are a couple of months away from more likely seismic shifts in world soccer due to this virus.

Dan_F

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens this season with Sancho. He’s been in and out of the Dortmund team since the restart, and hadn’t exactly been playing on the right wing. I don’t think he’d produce anywhere near the number of goals/assists as he did last season, while playing on the right in the Premier League.

There’s a very small chance that clubs are going to be in a better financial position next year, do we really think we can get all fans back in stadiums by next summer? Even at 25% capacity games are going to mean continued losses. There may be more of a market for him, but that probably just means more money for Sancho, rather than a bidding war with transfer fees.

Finally, these stories about him being annoyed with how we operated are hilarious. He made things 10 times harder by signing an extension.

clarkydaz

just watched this interview with a fanchannel. He says somewhere (cant pinpoint exactly as its long ) wages for sancho 400k a week, which i assume to be nonsense just after getting rid of sanchez . Even if that were true then its another farce by the board

There is so much spin coming out and none of it paints the board well at all

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens this season with Sancho. He’s been in and out of the Dortmund team since the restart, and hadn’t exactly been playing on the right wing. I don’t think he’d produce anywhere near the number of goals/assists as he did last season, while playing on the right in the Premier League.

There’s a very small chance that clubs are going to be in a better financial position next year, do we really think we can get all fans back in stadiums by next summer? Even at 25% capacity games are going to mean continued losses. There may be more of a market for him, but that probably just means more money for Sancho, rather than a bidding war with transfer fees.

Finally, these stories about him being annoyed with how we operated are hilarious. He made things 10 times harder by signing an extension.
Every club is going to take a massive hit on their revenues this year.

Overall stranding in all leagues bar the PL is massively down, and even on the PL it’s 7% down, and skewed by Chelsea spending after their transfer ban.

If there is continued uncertainty with crowds come next summer, I see that spend decreasing further.

If he has a mediocre season, which often happens after a players’ head is turned, then Dortmund could really regret their stance. I can only see downward pressure on his transfer fee next year.

It’s absurd to think there will be a Queue of clubs wanting to sign him for £100m in 10 months time.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I highly doubt his price will increase but Dortmund probably won’t ask anything below 90m.
The thing is, even if Sancho's valuation does drop drastically next Summer, United are probably going to be in dire need of a new CB and DMC, and it's possible that those two positions are likely to take £100m budget, then £90m for Sancho on top...???
Not to mention that all the European rivals could be in the race too....:rolleyes:

Dan_F

Every club is going to take a massive hit on their revenues this year.

Overall stranding in all leagues bar the PL is massively down, and even on the PL it’s 7% down, and skewed by Chelsea spending after their transfer ban.

If there is continued uncertainty with crowds come next summer, I see that spend decreasing further.

If he has a mediocre season, which often happens after a players’ head is turned, then Dortmund could really regret their stance. I can only see downward pressure on his transfer fee next year.

It’s absurd to think there will be a Queue of clubs wanting to sign him for £100m in 10 months time.
Yeah I agree. I’m not defending the club’s strategy, but I completely see why they didn’t pay those fees for Sancho - or sign a second choice like Dembele permanently.

If the club has a long term plan to get a centre back like Upamecano, I don’t see that it’s worth buying someone below that quality for the sake of it. The problem is actually pulling off those deals for first choice players.

El-Manos

Bellingham, Telles, Sancho would have been an excellent window and in fairness, I do believe that was the plan. We just executed it terribly.

wolvored

That might suggest the need to change coaches or the manager in question as well. You don't spend 145m in defence only to add more bodies at the back else they get ridiculed.
I fully agree with you saying the coaches and/or manager aint good enough. Im just saying at this time the only way he can shore the defence up is put an extra body there, as we havent got a good pick from any combination of 4 at the back.

Denis' cuff

No it isn't the truth. The have spent the big bucks on the players. We have routinely broken premier league transfer records since SAF left. Ergo they've spent the big bucks. Unfortunately thats all been on not very good player that haven't worked out, and more likely than not after 6 years of reckless spending the coffers have run dry a bit. Lack of spending isn't the biggest issue at this club, far from it. Not having the club run by footballing people IS the biggest issue.
Jesus Christ, pal... it’s no fecking good giving managers enough money to get the job half done and then sacking them and then telling the next manager “but why don’t you play Schweinsteiger”. That’s even assuming they are given money to spend rather than having Eds fanciful purchases foisted upon them.

Yes, and the “ footballing people”. Glad you got that bit right. That’s why they get it all wrong.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
At the end of the day, Sancho was the dream signing that most Utd fans could pull off the top of their head.

But I don’t think any manager or club ever has got a 100% success rate with their first choice transfer. SAF regularly had to settle for alternatives in the 90s. Couldn't get Collymore so got Cole, Couldn’t get Shearer so got Solskjaer, Couldn’t get Kluivert so got Yorke, Cantona launched a surprise retirement so had to get Sheringham in... and all of those guys contributed to a winning team.

Sancho isnt the be all and end all for right wingers, but surely we had more alternatives to him rather than a high risk punt on Ousmane Dembélé? I’m hoping Diallo and Pellistri are those alternatives because this is where it is getting difficult for us. We can’t let the likes of Diallo or Pellistri go to places like Lyon, Dortmund or a top half Premier League team anymore because they’ll demand stupid money (previously in the noughties we could just bid £30m and they’d accept). We have to get those potentially awesome players before they do and develop them ourselves. We’ll have to risks on these boys rather than get stumped by other clubs who beat us to them and hold us to ransom, when they actually live up to their potential and we’re interested.

Its a shame we can’t use Diallo until the new year, otherwise I’d be a bit more upbeat about it. Pellistri will need time to acclimatise to European football I think. If Diallo comes in in the new year and he’s looking like he can handle it then yeah the club did well to identify a good alternative to Sancho. He could very well end up being just as good as Sancho or even better. Sancho isnt even a fecking cert to be good for us either.

If we signed Pellistri and Diallo a month ago, I think we’d all be intrigued by how well they would do and be more assured when all these people who’ve watched them speak about them in glowing terms, but the timing makes it look like we shat the bed over the Spurs loss and Sancho/Dembélé not coming, when wed actually been watching them for a while.
Quality post. By far my favourite signings are those that look a little unfashionable, a little bit make-do-and-mend but go on to make their own history. Some of the ones you mention from the late 90s certainly fit that bill and I'd add the likes of Evra and Vidic to that too. Of course sometimes a sow's ear is just that, we never did make legends of Obertan, Buttner and Bebe, but going round Europe getting fleeced at every turn is unsustainable in any time but in the current climate I can't blame the club for not stumping up regardless. As you suggest it's the chaos, false hubris and wasted time that really rankles with this window, not necessarily the signings we managed to make.

macheda14

Jesus Christ, pal... it’s no fecking good giving managers enough money to get the job half done and then sacking them and then telling the next manager “but why don’t you play Schweinsteiger”. That’s even assuming they are given money to spend rather than having Eds fanciful purchases foisted upon them.

Yes, and the “ footballing people”. Glad you got that bit right. That’s why they get it all wrong.
This is just a confusing comment. In no way was I defending the owners/board, I was just pointing out that saying we don’t ever spend the big bucks on players is just pure nonsense. Seeing as we’ve spent a shit ton of money on a shit ton of poor quality.

Mark Pawelek

A price we'd known about for two months.
Seen no evidence Glazers knew it 2 months before they gave it the thumbs down. Fact is some of our most expensive or well paid players are the biggest let downs: Sanchez, DeGea, Pogba, Maguire. The galactico malarky ain't working too well.

United58

So with Sancho's poor form and the lockdowns in full swing, how will this affect his price for buyers next summer? I imagine we're not the only ones interested in him, and they seem to have his replacement already in Reyna.

Do people think we will be back in for him next season, or are our coffers looking bleak for the post-COVID downturn?

Also, holy shit - Reyna's father is the Claudio Reyna that played for City in the 00's! I hate getting old :lol:

The Irish Connection

So with Sancho's poor form and the lockdowns in full swing, how will this affect his price for buyers next summer? I imagine we're not the only ones interested in him, and they seem to have his replacement already in Reyna.

Do people think we will be back in for him next season, or are our coffers looking bleak for the post-COVID downturn?

Also, holy shit - Reyna's father is the Claudio Reyna that played for City in the 00's! I hate getting old :lol:
We might have dodged a bullet. Sancho actually reminds me a bit of Alexis Sanchez in his style, and we know how that went.
I think we would be better signing someone like Coman if possible or Adama Traore, both who wouldn’t mind being rotated, would cost half as much and are good at taking players on.
We could then use the extra funds to sign a dm to take over from Matic in the squad and possibly a strong, quick center back if Tuanzebe doesn’t take the spot.

United58

We might have dodged a bullet. Sancho actually reminds me a bit of Alexis Sanchez in his style, and we know how that went.
I think we would be better signing someone like Coman if possible or Adama Traore, both who wouldn’t mind being rotated, would cost half as much and are good at taking players on.
We could then use the extra funds to sign a dm to take over from Matic in the squad and possibly a strong, quick center back if Tuanzebe doesn’t take the spot.
25-28 y/o Sanchez was one of the best players in the league, an absolute terror; Sancho would be doing very well to reach that level. I get what you mean, though, and with the high-risk/high-reward players like Bruno and Rashford who lose the ball a lot because of how they play, and with no-one in (deeper) midfield bar an aging Matic who can recycle the ball well, we could be better off going for a player who holds the ball better

The Irish Connection

25-28 y/o Sanchez was one of the best players in the league, an absolute terror; Sancho would be doing very well to reach that level. I get what you mean, though, and with the high-risk/high-reward players like Bruno and Rashford who lose the ball a lot because of how they play, and with no-one in (deeper) midfield bar an aging Matic who can recycle the ball well, we could be better off going for a player who holds the ball better
Well that’s true. I suppose, he actually reminds me of the poorer form Sanchez. He dawdles on the ball a bit instead of being direct. He looks like if you get tight and be strong against him he shyes away from going on the outside and just passes back, a bit like wan Bissaka.
For me, Traore would give us balance, because if there’s one thing you can rely on with him is beating full backs on the outside and pushing them back.

United58

Well that’s true. I suppose, he actually reminds me of the poorer form Sanchez. He dawdles on the ball a bit instead of being direct. He looks like if you get tight and be strong against him he shyes away from going on the outside and just passes back, a bit like wan Bissaka.
For me, Traore would give us balance, because if there’s one thing you can rely on with him is beating full backs on the outside and pushing them back.
Traore would be great, he's still a bit inconsistent but only 25 and that pace is terrifying. He'd be close to Sancho in price I think if he has a long contract, though; have Wolves sold any of their better players in the last 4 years? They hold them well

neilv93

Traore would be great, he's still a bit inconsistent but only 25 and that pace is terrifying. He'd be close to Sancho in price I think if he has a long contract, though; have Wolves sold any of their better players in the last 4 years? They hold them well
Bizarrely, Doherty to Spurs this summer. Might not set the world alight but integral to their play.

That said, I agree with you. Adama would easily be £70m+ I think.

The Irish Connection

He wouldn’t, I don’t think. He’s on the bench for them some games. 60m would get him.

Red_toad

Sancho would be doing very well to reach that level. I get what you mean, though, and with the high-risk/high-reward players like Bruno and Rashford who lose the ball a lot because of how they play, and with no-one in (deeper) midfield bar an aging Matic who can recycle the ball well, we could be better off going for a player who holds the ball better
I’ll never know how our scouting team didn’t spot he looked very much a player in decline at least for 18 months before we signed him. Excellent player in his prime, but we should have given City a free run at him.
Sancho isn’t anywhere near his prime yet & I’d love him at United, but not at £100 million plus!

Red_toad

Is that worrying for us?
Not really if he’s downed tools as he wanted to go home. No one has any idea what Dortmund promised him, £80 million bid came in and he should have been sold, holding out for £108 was just ridiculous in the current market.

Dan_F

Traore is the definition of a player who’s better on Fifa than in real life. I know Wolves use wing backs, but if they had a £70 million player, don’t you think they’d find a way of getting him into the first 11?

I’m not saying they’re at the same level but he scored one more goal than Dan James last year in the Premier League. I can’t be the only person that thinks the last thing we need is another quick direct player.

Falcow

Bizarrely, Doherty to Spurs this summer. Might not set the world alight but integral to their play.

That said, I agree with you. Adama would easily be £70m+ I think.
Admittedly I have only seen Traore a handful of times but based on that limited exposure, I have concluded that he is a dreadful footballer, he is nowhere near good enough for United. He is a great athlete no doubt, quick and strong, he might be in the wrong sport, footballing basics such as being able to control the ball and pass it have eluded him unfortunately.

The day we spend 70m on him is the time to give up.

As for Sancho, I said it here numerous times that we shouldnt be paying a pre covid price for him and I'm delighted that we didnt. I very much hope that he leaves Dortmund for free when his contract expires. When the window closed, there were constant stories in the press from Dortmund re how they couldnt understand United's approach to the transfer etc etc......we wouldn't pay your ludicrous fee, deal with it....they were so bitter about it which pleased me no end.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The day we spend £70m on Adama Traore is the day we’ve officially lost the plot. Such an overrated footballer

United58

Not really if he’s downed tools as he wanted to go home. No one has any idea what Dortmund promised him, £80 million bid came in and he should have been sold, holding out for £108 was just ridiculous in the current market.
Players should never down tools though, they should always stay professional. Look at how Pogba's played for us at times. What if Sancho comes, we go on a shit run and he then down tools for us?