Jamie Vardy

El Zoido

That’s a shame, he’s a good option to have. Surely his tournament is over now?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I remember Anelka was a late sub in the Champs league final and he was asked to take a pen. He later said he was not mentally ready to take one but did anyway. I wish he'd "bottled it" and said no like Vardy.

Carolina Red

Staff
I remember Anelka was a late sub in the Champs league final and he was asked to take a pen. He later said he was not mentally ready to take one but did anyway. I wish he'd "bottled it" and said no like Vardy.
I bet you do.

I feel the same way, I think. I would rather someone be honest and say that they shouldn’t take it than lie and say they should. I don’t want someone taking a penalty kick who doesn’t believe they’re up to it at that moment.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
he was playing with a groin injury during his consecutive goals streak so it might not be the end of his tournament but it depends how bad it is

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...dy-retires-england-gareth-southgate-leicester

Jamie Vardy has all but retired from playing for England after informing Gareth Southgate that he believes the time is right for him to focus solely on club football.

The Leicester striker, who turns 32 in January, says that a number of factors have influenced his decision, including his age and a desire to spend more time with his family, after accepting he is unlikely to feature much for England even if he remains part of the squad.

Vardy, who has won 26 caps and been in every England squad since his first call-up in May 2015, spoke to Southgate just before returning from the World Cup finals in Russia, to explain that he was thinking of stepping aside. He confirmed that was still his intention during a telephone conversation with Southgate a fortnight ago, when the England manager wondered whether Vardy might have changed his mind before next month’s fixtures against Spain and Switzerland.

Southgate told Vardy he felt the striker “still had a lot to offer” at international level but the manager also understood the thinking behind the player’s decision. With England not exactly blessed with striking options, Southgate and Vardy have agreed to “not shut the door completely”, although he would return only if there were a major injury crisis.

“To be honest with you, this has been on my mind for a while,” Vardy told the Guardian. “I’m not getting any younger and you can see, to be fair to the gaffer, he wants to make it more youthful, which obviously had its benefits during the World Cup – we got to the semi-finals and finished fourth, which is equal to the furthest we have ever been on foreign soil. So I just said to Gareth that I think it’s probably best from now on, especially with the way he wants to go, to bring youngsters in who he thinks have got the ability and start nurturing them into international football.”

Asked whether the prospect of travelling with England but not playing much had influenced his decision, Vardy replied: “Yeah, I think that had an impact. When you get selected, you want to be playing. If you’re playing week in, week out for your club, you want to be going to England to play as well. And if it’s not happening, then for me personally now, at this age, it’s better to be at home, spending that time with my family and training with my club, preparing for the next game after the international break.”

Vardy added: “I explained it all to Gareth and he was fine with my decision. I mentioned it to him after the World Cup had finished, out in Russia, and then I spoke to him on the phone a couple of weeks ago. He let it die down a bit, so that I could have a bit more time to think, and then rang me up just to make sure I wasn’t just taking the mickey in Russia. But I hadn’t changed my mind. Gareth said that he felt I still had a lot to offer, and we’ve not shut the door completely. If the worst came to happen and everyone was injured, then obviously I wouldn’t say no.”

Vardy speaks highly of Southgate, describing him as “brilliant” and praising him for helping to create the togetherness that made England “feel like a club environment”, although he admitted he was frustrated not to play more at the World Cup, especially in the semi-final against Croatia, when he only got on for the last eight minutes of extra time. “I thought I could have helped a bit more if I had more minutes,” Vardy said. “You know that you can hurt opponents in certain ways, in the way you play. But it wasn’t to be. And you have to respect the manager’s decisions.”

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fair play. Better to have someone totally committed to the cause than someone with doubts anyway, and his reasoning is sound.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Fair play. Better to have someone totally committed to the cause than someone with doubts anyway, and his reasoning is sound.
I do wonder if Southgate apologised for picking Sterling ahead of him as a striker when he tried to get him to stay

Brophs

The One and Only
Hopefully this brings an end to his missus trying to make herself a celeb.

diarm

Think Cahill has "retired" in much the same manner, ie: not shutting any doors completely.

Seems a sensible approach all round and I wonder was it something encouraged by Southgate as he told some of the older lads he was moving his focus to the younger generation?

starman

Allegedly had a falling out with Puel.

Prefered him instead to Lukaku 2 years ago, would still go for him now in January if he were to become available and the price wasnt crazy considering his age.

Apokalips

Allegedly had a falling out with Puel.

Prefered him instead to Lukaku 2 years ago, would still go for him now in January if he were to become available and the price wasnt crazy considering his age.
Would definitely take him. He's fast, good finisher and is a nuisance. His top 6 record is great too. We need to have multiple top quality options in forward areas the way every other top side has.

spwd

I’d definitely have him if the price isn’t ridiculous.

Holocene

He's 32 in January. You have to wonder how long we would get out of him until he hits a steep decline. Especially given how much of his game relies on explosive pace.

He's also under contract until June 2022 (via Transfermarkt). I don't think he would be worth the fee Leicester would demand for him.

Reactions: 711

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How far have we fallen to have fans wanting Vardy at the club,
Some fans hounded Rooney, a club legend, out of the club yet there's some wanting an aging striker who's legs have blantantly gone...
This season he has been awful at times.

starman

How far have we fallen to have fans wanting Vardy at the club,
Some fans hounded Rooney, a club legend, out of the club yet there's some wanting an aging striker who's legs have blantantly gone...
This season he has been awful at times.
I know right, a Premier league winning striker, shocking. Lets spend 90m on another tugboat instead

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Genuinely think, the type of striker SAF would get as one of the four. Experience, know the league, pretty good scoring record, hardworker, and from ‘smaller’ team.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What do mean by Chav though (your definition). By your criteria, did you find it acceptable for Rooney to play for United?
Yes but every time I saw him play for us I bowed before Her Majesty Gracious Queen's portrait that's hung above my bed and kiss it three times because I felt dirty.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Vardy's greatest strength is his pace, which he won't have much longer seeing as he is almost 32. Plus, you struggle with teams that park the bus, not teams that attack you where he can be an asset for a counter. He won't be anything special if you guys go for him.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Siorac

Vardy's greatest strength is his pace, which he won't have much longer seeing as he is almost 32. Plus, you struggle with teams that park the bus, not teams that attack you where he can be an asset for a counter. He won't be anything special if you guys go for him.
We also struggle against teams that attack us, press us, teams that pass the ball, teams that hoof the ball, teams that do not forget to turn up on match day.

Champ

I know right, a Premier league winning striker, shocking. Lets spend 90m on another tugboat instead
Why not just get Rooney back then?!! Ridiculous thoughts all round.

Champ

Stupid comment number 1. We also need a winger, I guess it would have been stupid to suggest Marhez aswell

Stupid comment number 2. Rooney was not deemed good enough for England or Everton
So rather like Vardy at his current club then??
Please stop calling people's comments stupid then go and post one even worse yourself!

starman

So rather like Vardy at his current club then??
Please stop calling people's comments stupid then go and post one even worse yourself!
Vardy is not good enough for Leicester, his legs have gone, if we were to sign Vardy we should resign Rooney. Do actually read what you post?

I think you've got the stupidity down for all of us