Jamie Vardy's Extraordinary Record against the Premier League Top 6

Bojan11

Get him back in the England squad. Different to the options we have. Very good goalscorer.
Eh?

He doesn’t want to play unless we get a lot of injuries as he doesn’t want to sit on the bench which he will do as Kane is number 1 for Southgate.

Untd55

For me, he has been the best striker in the league this season. Constantly a danger in games.

RUCK4444

His desire in every game is his biggest asset. Yes he’s blessed with pace but his attitude and application is first class.

How I would love to see Martial with the same desire every game.

starman

Get him back in the England squad. Different to the options we have. Very good goalscorer.
i would not be surprised to see him be a wild card call up for the Euros without playing any of the qualifiers. England play all their games at home, I think he would come out of retirement for that month

Walters_19_MuFc

i would not be surprised to see him be a wild card call up for the Euros without playing any of the qualifiers. England play all their games at home, I think he would come out of retirement for that month
Yep. Even if he's on the bench, he's the type of player who would be fantastic to come on.

OohAahMartial

He is ridiculously clinical. Would much much rather getting him than Mandzukic. Think he would really suit our style, and is exactly the type of striker Ole seems to like. However, can't see why he would come.

Bojan11

Yeah because international games are going to kill him, especially someone who will be sitting on the bench for most of the time.
Are you being dense?

He doesn’t wanna spend the time travelling around and training just to sit on the bench. It’s what happens with most international players Walter in their 30s, do catch up.

Walters_19_MuFc

He is ridiculously clinical. Would much much rather getting him than Mandzukic. Think he would really suit our style, and is exactly the type of striker Ole seems to like. However, can't see why he would come.
You think he would suit our style? Great goalscorer, but Ole has been talking about having a striker that can hold up the ball.

Referring to Martial, the other day Ole said, “He has different attributes from Marcus, Dan [James], Jesse [Lingard], Mason [Greenwood].

“For us, he’s probably the one player that you can see hold the ball up more and you’ve got players making runs in behind.”

Vardy, as good as he is, isnt known for holding the ball and bringing others into play.

With players like Rashford and James, who like to run in behind, we need a player like Martial who can stitch our attacks together in the final third, and that's what we missed when we had Rashford up top, who very much likes running in behind like Vardy.

Don't get me wrong, we're far from the finished article and need a top class attacking midfielders, but I feel Martial's style helps.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Monster player. History books should see him in the tier just below the elite level.

Walters_19_MuFc

Are you being dense?

He doesn’t wanna spend the time travelling around and training just to sit on the bench. It’s what happens with most international players Walter in their 30s, do catch up.
Travelling around? Its fecking Europe not half way across the world. Think you're being slightly dramatic.

What I will say is, you're first point about him not wanting to play because of Kane was right. Meaning if Kane wasnt there and he was guaranteed a starting role, then he'd play for England.

OohAahMartial

You think he would suit our style? Great goalscorer, but Ole has been talking about having a striker that can hold up the ball.

Referring to Martial, the other day Ole said, “He has different attributes from Marcus, Dan [James], Jesse [Lingard], Mason [Greenwood].

“For us, he’s probably the one player that you can see hold the ball up more and you’ve got players making runs in behind.”

Vardy, as good as he is, isnt known for holding the ball and bringing others into play.

With players like Rashford and James, who like to run in behind, we need a player like Martial who can stitch our attacks together in the final third, and that's what we missed when we had Rashford up top, who very much likes running in behind like Vardy.

Don't get me wrong, we're far from the finished article and need a top class attacking midfielders, but I feel Martial's style helps.
He'd be a like for like swap for Rashford, except one that can convert chances. Just think of how many chances Rashford has spurned this season, then imagine half of them going in, particularly the scrappy goals Ole has been asking both Martial and Rashford to do more of. The linking up requires a proper creative #10, like Maddison and not one like Pereira or Lingard, that can neither score nor assist.

Walters_19_MuFc

He'd be a like for like swap for Rashford, except one that can convert chances. Just think of how many chances Rashford has spurned this season, then imagine half of them going in, particularly the scrappy goals Ole has been asking both Martial and Rashford to do more of. The linking up requires a proper creative #10, like Maddison and not one like Pereira or Lingard, that can neither score nor assist.
You've completly disregarded my point. When Rashford was up top, we didnt have that link player. You say he spurned chances, but what chances did he have to spurn? We created very few. We create few with Martial, but our attack seems better because he provides that screen for players around him.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Kane is England's best striker and should be starting.

He has fantastic hold up play and compliments our type of wingers. Vardy cant do that but he'd be a great option from the bench.
Stop moving the goalposts, he’s 32 has a young family and doesn’t want to play for a manager that picked a winger as a striker over him at the World Cup now there’s no chance he’d get a game, it’s not worth his time away from his family

OohAahMartial

You've completly disregarded my point. When Rashford was up top, we didnt have that link player. You say he spurned chances, but what chances did he have to spurn? We created very few. We create few with Martial, but our attack seems better because he provides that screen for players around him.
I don't disagree about the effect of having Martial up top rather than Rashford. Though I look to the absence of Pogba and the presence of Pereira for our lack of creativity. And I think Rashford did miss a lot of chances during his goal drought, and I am sure if you cast your mind back you will see he did.
If we played like Leicester I would be quite content, and they manage to do do not in spite of Vardy, but partly because of him.

Bojan11

Travelling around? Its fecking Europe not half way across the world. Think you're being slightly dramatic.

What I will say is, you're first point about him not wanting to play because of Kane was right. Meaning if Kane wasnt there and he was guaranteed a starting role, then he'd play for England.
Oh it’s Europe, really? Tell that to Scholes who retired early so he could prolong his career with his club. Tell that to the countless other players who retired from international duty.

He wants to prolong his career and said this break benefits him but obviously Walter knows best.

Walters_19_MuFc

Oh it’s Europe, really? Tell that to Scholes who retired early so he could prolong his career with his club. Tell that to the countless other players who retired from international duty.

He wants to prolong his career and said this break benefits him but obviously Walter knows best.
It Walters. Lets get it right. At least you got something right, though. I do know best.

Walters_19_MuFc

I don't disagree about the effect of having Martial up top rather than Rashford. Though I look to the absence of Pogba and the presence of Pereira for our lack of creativity. And I think Rashford did miss a lot of chances during his goal drought, and I am sure if you cast your mind back you will see he did.
If we played like Leicester I would be quite content, and they manage to do do not in spite of Vardy, but partly because of him.
I honestly can't remember the chances. We barely have shots on goal nowerdays.

Walters_19_MuFc

Stop moving the goalposts, he’s 32 has a young family and doesn’t want to play for a manager that picked a winger as a striker over him at the World Cup now there’s no chance he’d get a game, it’s not worth his time away from his family
What goalposts am I moving? He's not better than Kane, hence why he wouldn't start.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
He wont go back, the tapping up was bad enough to make him quit as been constantly harassed to join a big club by fellow England players was affecting his game for us.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Vardy Kane Abraham, not a bad set of options. Do feel we should ask him come the end of the season.

Bwuk

He’s brilliant isn’t he.

Loves the big games.

Walters_19_MuFc

I literally quoted you replying to someone who said he doesn't want to be a benchwarmer saying "but what if he wasn't"
I see what you mean. The reason I said that because I wanted to know if Vardy's so called old age would have been a factor if he knew he'd be starting for England.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I see what you mean. The reason I said that because I wanted to know if Vardy's so called old age would have been a factor if he knew he'd be starting for England.
If Kane has a long term injury Vardy would play if asked, he said as much when he effectively retired, Vardy being there now would just stifle Abraham

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
What goalposts am I moving? He's not better than Kane, hence why he wouldn't start.
He may not be better than Kane but he gives a manager a different option when things are not working. Southgate never worked out how to use him and I think some of the joy went out of the game. Getting a few days off during the international break will prolong his career by letting his body heal.

He wouldn't fit us that well. He needs to be playing on the counter with space to run into. Most teams that face us don't set up that way.

ExoduS

Monster player. History books should see him in the tier just below the elite level.
Maybe history says that he is not gonna be remembered as elite, but he will definitely get immortal, legendary, cult hero status. Best scorer in a team that had no business winning the trophy. Did not leave after that for lots of money which he certainly could. Legendary status.