Jamie Vardy's Extraordinary Record against the Premier League Top 6

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Definition of a game raiser. I do remember that Arsenal wanted him after they won the title but he rejected them.
That might play a part but i think it's mostly because Leicester can set up to play a counter attacking game against the bigger sides that gives him the advantage.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I'm not really surprised about his record. It makes sense really. He is the type of player that strives on fast counter attacks, or having lots of space to run into. Against weaker teams, he is going to struggle to find that. Yet against better teams, who are controlling the game and pinning Leicester back, when he does get a chance, it is generally one that is playing into his strengths.

wythyred

Why are people mentioning game raising as if it's a negative. Some of the best players in history were notorious for raising their game on the big matches.

For me he is a quality striker and would do a very good job at the bigger clubs. I know he is 30 but I would be sure he would be get 20+ playing for a better side.

KYcinco

He should be at a bigger club?

Other than that great season , he's an average premier league goalscorer

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He is quite ideal for the way Jose plays. Not one for the future, but certainly the next season and a half. Seriously underrated which is strange.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He should be at a bigger club?

Other than that great season , he's an average premier league goalscorer
That's quite misleading. He's downed tools and pretty much ruined a season after winning the league and is only now actually playing like he is supposed to, not dissimilar to Mahrez or Hazard.

He's clearly one of the top strikers in the division, whatever that means.

Kapardin

He is quite ideal for the way Jose plays. Not one for the future, but certainly the next season and a half. Seriously underrated which is strange.
Could have even signed him instead of Lukaku. That is, considering we were shopping at Everton, Leicester ain't that much of a step down.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
His age is the only thing that puts top clubs off. If he was 25, any team in need for a top striker would go for him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
In an ideal world we would have flat track bully Lukaku for the easier games and play Vardy as the lone striker against the top 6 teams.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Fair point. He is a very good Premier League striker.
He is very good and also has tenacity, fight and electric pace.
I liked him ever since he dismantled our entire defence, in that 5-3 thrashing, we got from LCFC.
Imagine having this guy on our team, as a sub to come on after 60-70 minutes.
We normally sit back, late in the game and against tired defenders, he'd be best used in a counter attack, which Jose teams typically play.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
One of the best counter attacking centre forwards around. Always seems to score from breaking the line 30-40 yards from goal and just running in a straight line and lashing it in. I don't think he'd be half as good in a dominant team where he has less space to operate in. He's at his best when he's got defenders charging towards their own goal. I might be doing him a disservice there, but I don't see him being the #9 you'd want when playing against a packed defence.

He'd probably be great for us in the big away games, since we seem to sit a lot deeper. Less so in home games against the bottom 10.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What do people think he's worth in the market? It's mad that only Arsenal have flirted with the idea.

Greck

Most impressive is he often does it against the run of play with brilliant movement and with only a few moments of service. Absolutely lethal against the high line big teams use. Imagine Pogba supplying him

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Interestingly, Lukaku is one of the worst strikers, when it comes to scoring against top sides.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Most impressive is he often does it against the run of play with brilliant movement and with only a few moments of service. Absolutely lethal against the high line big teams use. Imagine Pogba supplying him
He is lethal. No doubt about that.
I remember earlier this season, we played LCFC. He had one chance and scored. As good as DDG is, he just can't handle Vardy coming at him at full speed.

Member 90887

What do people think he's worth in the market? It's mad that only Arsenal have flirted with the idea.
Yeah, LCFC players, for some reason, aren't the most sought after players, really weird. although in the case of Vardy, i think his age and the fact that he wanted to stay in Leicester after the title winning season didn't help.

Feck, city scores.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's one of the most exciting counter-attacking forwards I've seen in the past years. Clever movement and pretty lethal finishing in general.

FujiVice

It's a real shame his peak came so late on in his career. Imagine that pass and finishing if there was 10 years knocked off him?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, LCFC players, for some reason, aren't the most sought after players, really weird. although in the case of Vardy, i think his age and the fact that he wanted to stay in Leicester after the title winning season didn't help.

Feck, city scores.
What I like more than anything else about him is his relentless drive, hunting down lost causes. Sadly, it's uncommon to see watching United. Lingard has a bit of that, Welbeck had it and of course Rooney was an elite example of that when he was younger. Sanchez has that desire too. It just pumps up the whole team.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's a real shame his peak came so late on in his career. Imagine that pass and finishing if there was 10 years knocked off him?
That's why guidance is so important IMO. If Vardy had gotten proper life advice and guidance at a young age perhaps he would have matured faster?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He is very good and also has tenacity, fight and electric pace.
I liked him ever since he dismantled our entire defence, in that 5-3 thrashing, we got from LCFC.
Imagine having this guy on our team, as a sub to come on after 60-70 minutes.
We normally sit back, late in the game and against tired defenders, he'd be best used in a counter attack, which Jose teams typically play.
I don't think Jamie Vardy would be happy regularly subbing. He doesn't seem like the type.

FujiVice

That's why guidance is so important IMO. If Vardy had gotten proper life advice and guidance at a young age perhaps he would have matured faster?
Definitely. How many top players have slipped through the gap over the last few decades because of this?

Mr PG

Could have even signed him instead of Lukaku. That is, considering we were shopping at Everton, Leicester ain't that much of a step down.
Would have been cheaper and better option than Lukaku to give us 2 yrs before Rashford matures at 9 or Kane if that doesn’t happen.

We really have to aim higher than Lukaku level if we want to win the league

Luke1995

I believe that if Vardy had been playing for a top team for the last few seasons, he would have numbers as good as Harry Kane. How he was playing non league football until the age of 24 is beyond my understanding, he is a world class player in a mid table team although his loyalty to Leicester is awesome. He is not just a pace merchant who hits the ball as hard as he can, he has incredible tactical awareness and is a pretty decent dribbler when one on one.

Hitchez

I believe that if Vardy had been playing for a top team for the last few seasons, he would have numbers as good as Harry Kane. How he was playing non league football until the age of 24 is beyond my understanding, he is a world class player in a mid table team although his loyalty to Leicester is awesome. He is not just a pace merchant who hits the ball as hard as he can, he has incredible tactical awareness and is a pretty decent dribbler when one on one.
Kane's overall game is a lot better than Vardy's which will always make him a better player but I do agree that in a team that creates a lot of chances Vardy would indeed put up very good numbers. His finishing and movement are both fantastic. another part of his game that most managers would love is his pressing from the front and not letting the center backs rest.

Luke1995

I think he would be absolutely perfect for Liverpool.
Agree, would be an upgrade on Firmino although for a short period of time due to age. Can't see him leaving Leicester unless it's for a foreign club.

Luke1995

Kane's overall game is a lot better than Vardy's which will always make him a better player but I do agree that in a team that creates a lot of chances Vardy would indeed put up very good numbers. His finishing and movement are both fantastic. another part of his game that most managers would love is his pressing from the front and not letting the center backs rest.
Yeah, Kane is a better playmaker than him when need be and is a better header of the ball, plus he probably isn't even on his prime yet which is scary given that he's been lifting up the PL since 2014, but Vardy is fantastic to watch, we should cheerish him while he's playing at a high level, can't see him maintaining it after 2019.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Absolutely adore Vardy. He’d be a good asset for the next few years, while giving Rashford to Leicester on a 2 year loan to develop exclusively as a #9 and eventually come back to replace him.

Puts Lukaku to shame with his ability to play as a lone striker; he’d be a massive asset and is a battler as well; him and Sanchez would offer an intensity on the counter currently lacking.

Addictive

Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely adore Vardy. He’d be a good asset for the next few years, while giving Rashford to Leicester on a 2 year loan to develop exclusively as a #9 and eventually come back to replace him.

Puts Lukaku to shame with his ability to play as a lone striker; he’d be a massive asset and is a battler as well; him and Sanchez would offer an intensity on the counter currently lacking.
He’s a big fish in a small pond imo, he wouldn’t do any better then Lukaku is doing right now For you

Distracted Steward

I think he would be absolutely perfect for Liverpool.
He'd be fantastic as one of the wide men. They'd really have something if they were able to rest Salah or Mane and still have that ability to attack with such pace and intent from wide. Mane's dip in form wouldn't leave them so reliant on Salah if they had him. Unfortunately, they could only play two of the three.

Saw a mention of replacing Firmino with Vardy would through the Liverpool system out of wack. As a goalscorer, he'd big an upgrade, but he couldn't do as much dropping back and playing people through like Firmino does. Liverpool gets a lot from that and having Salah and Mane attack the space. A front three of Vardy and them would crowd each other a lot and separate the midfield from the attack--especially without a true #10 anymore.

Vardy for Firmino seems like one of those things that looks good on paper but would be terrible in practice.

Last edited:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Would be the perfect back up striker/impact sub if he's willing to play a part in the rotation. Absolutely ideal.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Its crazy that Vardy was languishing in the lower leagues so long. Imagine how effected he would be in a better team with more threats around him and better supply.
It is, but Im not sure about him performing better in a better team. Not sure it works that way. Not so much about mentality but more so about quality. Plenty of good players in the past just couldn't make the step up to a big club, for different reasons. Leicesters playing-style suits him and he is very good there, but I think that's his level.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Good stat by Vardy but its skewed.

He doesn't play for a Top Six team - so he would have potentially played at 12, matches per season versus 10 with any of the Top Six strikers. So cumulatively, it would have skewed it tremendously versus others like Kun or Kane et al.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Perfect striker for the european championship.
One of the forwards that stand for "true grit", in my opinion.