January Loan Options

SteveW

Ole has suggested we're unlikely to be able to sign our targets in January but may look at loan deals to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season.

But who's really likely to be available for loan that would be good enough to help us? Who's not getting enough game time in the positions where we need more bodies.

So far the following have come to mind/been suggested:

Rabiot
Can
Rakitic
Mandzukic
Cavani

Anyone else worth looking at?

Last edited:

Mani

Seems like we are considering Dzeko as well.I wouldn't mind Dzeko or Mandzukic for second half season loan.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s an interesting that the club actually posted the statement in the official website. I don’t see that as an issue to get a loan player means they are likely playing the backup role and not going to start over our current best XI players unless if they become so impressive that we are thinking about permanent move. Fair to say midfield & attacker on loan will be what we are looking for.

SteveW

Seems like we are considering Dzeko as well.I wouldn't mind Dzeko or Mandzukic for second half season loan.
We could definitely do with another striker. Rashford is much happier on the left. Dzeko seems unlikely as he has been playing regularly for Roma. Mandzukic would be easily doable I'd imagine unless someone else offers a permanent deal.

Mani

We could definitely do with another striker. Rashford is much happier on the left. Dzeko seems unlikely as he has been playing regularly for Roma. Mandzukic would be easily doable I'd imagine unless someone else offers a permanent deal.
Yeah Dzeko is long shot,we should've picked Mandzukic by last summer, still its not too late.Both Dzeko and Mandzukic would provide us good presence in the box great header of the ball.

croadyman

It’s an interesting that the club actually posted the statement in the official website. I don’t see that as an issue to get a loan player means they are likely playing the backup role and not going to start over our current best XI players unless if they become so impressive that we are thinking about permanent move. Fair to say midfield & attacker on loan will be what we are looking for.
Who would be your choices for a midfielder and attacker on loan?

croadyman

Could Bale be an option on loan in January or absolutely no chance of that happening.

What are peoples opinions on the likes of Rakitic,Rabiot & Can just out of interest?

SteveW

Could Bale be an option on loan in January or absolutely no chance of that happening.

What are peoples opinions on the likes of Rakitic,Rabiot & Can just out of interest?
Can would be okay as backup. Rakitic and Rabiot improve us

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Who would be your choices for a midfielder and attacker on loan?
I‘m not sure about the attacker but for midfield I’ll go with Can or Rakitic. Either those two should be suitable for a loan move to help us for a season.

SteveW

I‘m not sure about the attacker but for midfield I’ll go with Can or Rakitic. Either those two should be suitable for a loan move to help us for a season.
We'd be very lucky to get Rakitic on loan. They'd want a fee for him. He still plays a bit.

I can see Can and Mandzukic coming potentially. Not exciting but solid players and we need the numbers

SteveW

Mandzukic on loan.. that's .. underwhelming after the discussion about Haaland, that's a proper midtable signing.
Better to do it as a loan then and wait until the top quality option is available. People seem to forget it isn't Footballer Manager.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Ole has suggested we're unlikely to be able to sign our targets in January but may look at loan deals to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season.

But who's really likely to be available for loan that would be good enough to help us? Who's not getting enough game time in the positions where we need more bodies.

So far the following have come to mind/been suggested:

Rabiot
Can
Rakitic
Mandzukic
Cavani

Anyone else worth looking at?
Sorry for this, your thread and intentions deserves better but WTF.

Rebuilding project. Long term plan.
Once again what‘s going on?

Only three months ago he was perfectly happy with his squad. Ok. Now we “may look at loan deals to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season”. WTF is this? Trusting youths? Building a squad for the future?

I don’t trust anything Ole Gunnar Solskjær says if this is the reality. Top four! No excuses.

Red_toad

Only three months ago he was perfectly happy with his squad. Ok. Now we “may look at loan deals to strengthen the squad for the rest of the season”. WTF is this? Trusting youths? Building a squad for the future?

I don’t trust anything Ole Gunnar Solskjær says if this is the reality. Top four! No excuses.
So he tried what he thought was correct and now has seen it’s not working. So he just has to continue on so he doesn’t break his word?
Or should he go the Jose route and alienate half the squad, as that sure turned out well?

Can’t actually believe United now need to scab round for loan players!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

What are you talking about?

Bondi77

I don’t get the striker thing, Ole said he decided against it in the summer as he did not want to hinder the progress of Mason.
Can will be pushed on us as maybe a Pogba angle but he looked decent when he was at Liverpool so he is a possible I guess.
If we are building for the future then surely we can make one good purchase in January and although I have only seen YouTube clips Soumare from Lille looks like he could easily adapt to England.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Taking a thread off topic
Just sell the fecking club then you parasites. Get the cancer out of our club.

dev1l

I could be wrong but Players available on loan are usually highly salaried players who are not getting much game time. So I presume that Ole was referring to the likes of Bale, Can, Mandzuikic, Rabiot etc.
Not sure this fits in with United strategy

Withnail

A good manager is always officially happy with his squad and also always wants to strengthen it.

I'm not sure what your issue is here.

My problem is the same old same old same from the club... Hard to do deals in Jan means the board aren't prepared to spend. Watch City go and get some defenders or what Chelsea do if they appeal their ban.

Red00012

I could be wrong but Players available on loan are usually highly salaried players who are not getting much game time. So I presume that Ole was referring to the likes of Bale, Can, Mandzuikic, Rabiot etc.
Not sure this fits in with United strategy
I’m sure Giggs has told Bale he needs to be playing regularly approaching the Euro’s. And hopefully he threw in Utd on loan as well.

SteveW

We all knew we were short of players. Ole knew. He tried to sign players up to the end of the window but couldn't get the ones he wanted. He's not going to sign players that don't fit into his long term plans.

Surely loans fit into this philosophy. Loaning players until the right players become available in the summer. The alternative is spending money and giving permanent contracts to players we don't actually want long term.

Irrational.

What happened to Rabiot? Did he just get sidelined with the other freebies that Juve didn't fancy but got just for the sake of it?

SteveW

I’m sure Giggs has told Bale he needs to be playing regularly approaching the Euro’s. And hopefully he threw in Utd on loan as well.
I'd never want us to sign him permanently to his injuries but a loan would actually be pretty shrewd if we could pull it off.

Withnail

We'd be very lucky to get Rakitic on loan. They'd want a fee for him. He still plays a bit.

I can see Can and Mandzukic coming potentially. Not exciting but solid players and we need the numbers
My feelings on it as well. We just need another couple of bodies as there will be more injuries.

Can/Mandzukic would be decent additions to get us through the season.

For the development of the young players it also certainly wouldn't hurt to have a couple of players who've won League titles as well as a Champions League in the squad.

E-mal

We should try for Rakitic, he will be very useful for us.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would love Cavani here but doubt it’ll happen

CM10

I imagine loan deals would be for players like Bale and Mandzukic, given their situations at their respective clubs. It doesn't sound ideal on the surface but it might be a smarter strategy than spend big on more wishy-washy types in January.

I can only hope we've got some proper midfield targets lined up for this window. This squad is not equipped to survive another injury to Pogba.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Bale on loan, given the number 7. Then we get Sancho in the summer and give it to him. T-shirt selling marketing dream.