January....

Gasolin

I think it will be quiet unless we sell, and even then... our results are not great.

We lost a lot of revenue and it seems that our net debt as a result went up. Profit is down as well. I don’t think we can fund transfers easily.

Bwuk

I think we'll try to move on more of the deadwood.

I'd be surprised if we sign anyone in January.

RUCK4444

I think Neves would be absolutely superb for us, and he is still only 23 now, long term signing.
Really? I get the feeling he's massively overrated, scored a few screamers and got a name through that. Since then he just seems an 'ok' player, not particularly better than what we have.

Robertd0803

Selling one or two players and thats it. Agreeing a deal in advance to sign our top target for the summer would be great though.

beingshe7don

I think Neves would be absolutely superb for us, and he is still only 23 now, long term signing.
The guy is being quoted at 65m. I don't think he's worth that much. For me, we need a Fabinho or a Thiago sort of player who can control games from a relatively deeper position. If we lose Pogba, I would like Aouar to replace him and possibly Denis Zakaria (whose out injured with a knee injury) in the Fabinho slot. I think Zakaria will come back stronger even though he's been out injured for a while now.

But to keep context to January, I think we need a CB in and I think we should at the very least get Badiashile or Pau Torres. Either of them would prove to be a great left-sided CB for Ole. Yes, Shaw is playing there at the moment but he cannot play in a back 4 as a LCB.

Then we could focus on strengthening next summer
Sancho (maybe)
DM
Upamecano assuming we would have sold Rojo, Jones, and possibly Bailly by then which would leave us with Tuanzebe, Maguire, Lindelof, Badiashile/ Pau Torres, and Upamecano.

johanovic

I assume the balance sheet of most/all football clubs looks rather bad at this moment in time and while I do not support the Glazers in any way the club serve the debt. There was an interesting newsstory in June when Spurs borrowed 175 million from the British government due to financial impact of Covid. They were claiming to be facing 200 m in losses. They claimed that the loan would not be used on signing players...but since then they spent 110 million on new players.....despite stating the loan was to make them survive Covid...the reason for bringing Spurs into this is to point out that there are a lot of clubs in trouble, some getting taxpayer money and then spending like crazy and others tried to furlough staff and having to walk that back like Liverpool did..Spurs also tried that and backed away from that....at least the Glazers did not do that and have been able to finance and serve the debt since the takeover....Since the 2013-2014 season we have spent around 1100 million euro while selling players for 370 million euro. We have outspent most clubs other than City,Barca,Chelsea,PSG and Juve in the last decade. We have spent the money on signings like amateurs for a long time even though it seems to be getting better under OGS...For example Bayern and Dortmund have spent some 500 million less and look at that Bayern side......Liverpool have spent less than us but they spent it more wisely....Of course in a perfect world I would like another owner for the club we love BUT I imagine the financial reallity of many clubs will come to light soon and perhaps the financial woes of Barcelona..despite some seeing that as a perfect ownership of a club and despite all their success have struggled before Covid to pay salaries of players...Now they have gone to Goldman Sachs looking for a loan for development but financial experts in Spain claim it´s in fact to pay salaries...The fact Barca have gone to Goldman Sachs an investment bank means they had no other options in Spanish banks due to the fact Barca are already owing them over 500 million euro...In the meantime the plastic clubs of Europe in PSG,City and Chelsea can go about their business as the FFP regulations were found to be a joke this summer...

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Our squad is fine for this season, just need to get rid of a few to have a more defined group.
  • Romero
  • Jones
  • Rojo
  • Ighalo loan over
Won't impact our season letting all 4 of them go, and they need to. Amad Diallo is joining in January, but I'd assume he goes in the youth teams for the half season to get used to England first. Can't imagine any reason for new signings though, apart from agreeing for players to join in the summer.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If we could sell some deadwood in Jan and possibly Matić and Pogba next summer hopefully that leaves us with enough to get Upamecano 50 million Camavinga 65/70 and Haaland 65 clause and then we would have as close to a complete and youthful team as we’ve ever had.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Agree with this. If we can move on the 4 or 5 that are hanging around the place then it can only help us next summer. We are unlikely to miss Romero, Jones, Rojo, Lingard. Ighalo will leave. Prob about £20m in annual salary right there.

Craig Ward

Nothing in January, unless we have a new manager and decide to give him a bit of backing if he identifies good, realistic targets.
It doesnt matter who the manager is or who the targets are - the board are pretty shambolic in the transfer market.

Ole had great targets - Sancho/Grealish/Upamencano that we know of. Issue isnt identifying targets its the board not being able to get them is the issue

RU Devil

Yeah, tend to agree with this. TBH, I would be surprised if we get any takers, except maybe for Romero. Figure the rest would have to be subsidized somehow. James might go on loan but I'd be shocked to see Rojo or Jones go. Maybe a certain Merseyside club could use a CB :devil:?

Only way I see us bring in anyone is if we're seriously in the hunt for PL/CL, but even then, there seems to be enough depth as long as Ole gets a good rotation going. Another scenario is where some clubs are in serious financial distress & we could get in a bonafide starter for peanuts (preferrably CB or DM).

Andersons Dietician

Romero leave.

Try to get rid of Rojo and Jones

That Diallo arrives does he not.

And if there is any attempt at a purchase which I doubt I think it would be a CB. Maybe try and jump the queue and secure a deal for Upamencano.

beingshe7don

Romero leave.

Try to get rid of Rojo and Jones

That Diallo arrives does he not.

And if there is any attempt at a purchase which I doubt I think it would be a CB. Maybe try and jump the queue and secure a deal for Upamencano.
I could see Liverpool try and get him as they rely heavily on VVD and him being out could cost them the title. Even though I want United to buy players, if we are in the top 4 by Jan 1st, I don't see Ed investing. Although I feel, getting a DM and CB should be a priority. The Sancho saga will continue as usual but I think we're done with the whole Sancho thing just like how we didn't get Griezmann done.

el3mel

Depending on our situation when Jan comes. Maybe we'll need a CB or something, but I don't expect much.

leges

In January we should go for:

Kristoffer Ajer - 25 mln £ / 30 mln €
Eduardo Camavinga - 55 mln £ / 60 mln €

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
No way we're doing any January business, unless we have a serious injury.

Saddy

The club will find some money for a new manager appointment and we could hopefully shift a couple of players out as well

GameOn

People seriously think we'll go for some big signings in January?

Our revenue has fallen due to the crisis, while our net dept has gone up significantly.

Basically all clubs have to save their money right now. Just look at Barcelona, those guys are inches away from a financial collapse.

There won't be any huge signings.

leges

Ajer isn’t a huge signing, but it’s the defender we need tonpair with Maguire, I think he can be bought in January.
Camavinga is a big signing and it’s unlikely to see him In January, but if we want to grow we can’t wait until August to find a Matic’s replacement.
Then in the summer we need to focus on a centre forward, that could be Haaland!
So that we could display like this:

———————De Gea—————
Bissaka—Ajer—Maguire—Telles
—McTominay——Camavinga—
——————Fernandes—————
Greenwood—————Rashford
——————Haaland————

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The club will find some money for a new manager appointment and we could hopefully shift a couple of players out as well
I think you are probably right about that.
If Poch comes in, it really wouldn't shock me if we somehow found £50m to spend, which wouldn't have been available otherwise.

GameOn

Ajer isn’t a huge signing, but it’s the defender we need tonpair with Maguire, I think he can be bought in January.
Camavinga is a big signing and it’s unlikely to see him In January, but if we want to grow we can’t wait until August to find a Matic’s replacement.

———————De Gea—————
—McTominay——Camavinga—
——————Fernandes—————
Greenwood—————Rashford
——————Haaland————
Good Lord, this is the reality and not some FIFA manager stuff ...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We won't be spending a penny in january :lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

The answer shouldn’t always need to come from multi-million pound signings; yes our squad depth is inconsistent but we need to do better with what we have also.

If the emphasis is to play a high line & use attacking fullbacks then unfortunately we wasted £130mil last summer but we shouldn’t persist down the wrong path simply to compound that mistake.

We have a decent number of players whose strengths aren’t being exploited; we need to be getting these players into their best positions not shoehorning people in where they don’t excel.

We’ve a great academy; time to utilise it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No attacking options to come off the bench, not enough goals in the squad either. Diallo wont solve that, he's just a kid with no senior football experience. We put all our eggs in Cavani to paper up the cracks and so far that's looked like a pretty bad decision.

Our squad is not fine, a change in tactics won't fix it. The issue is lack of options.

Varun1

The answer shouldn’t always need to come from multi-million pound signings; yes our squad depth is inconsistent but we need to do better with what we have also.

If the emphasis is to play a high line & use attacking fullbacks then unfortunately we wasted £130mil last summer but we shouldn’t persist down the wrong path simply to compound that mistake.

We have a decent number of players whose strengths aren’t being exploited; we need to be getting these players into their best positions not shoehorning people in where they don’t excel.

We’ve a great academy; time to utilise it.
This is one of my key arguments against Ole!
Agree with the rest of your argument as well - I also think a better manager would bring the best out of those players. Tuanzebe or Mengi may be the answer to partnering Maguire. Or may be we could go with a Tuanzebe/Lindelof partnership.

Although I don't like Pogba's style and think he should be sold, am intrigued how he would perform under a different manager.

Very good post that mirrors my thoughts exactly.

Bobade

There will be no signings in January. There shouldn't be any either.

This group of players are good enough to compete. There is some fantastic talent within the team at the moment. Our coaching and patterns of play are not being seen at the moment. I do feel that it may be time for Ole to go, but I don't see this as being essential. We do need a change in our ability to play as a team. Whether this comes from some new coaching staff, new manager, new training methods, I don't know. But what I do know is that these players are good enough to serve up better football than those embarrassing displays against Arsenal and Istanbul.

Handré1990

———————De Gea—————
—McTominay——Camavinga—
——————Fernandes—————
Greenwood—————Rashford
——————Haaland————
Ajer, is basically Maguire in the making, how on earth do you figure him to be an answer? I’d kill for a Hangeland in this team, Ajer not so much..

3KDré

———————De Gea—————
—McTominay——Camavinga—
——————Fernandes—————
Greenwood—————Rashford
——————Haaland————
Were you even trying to be realistic? What's the point of posts like this?

0le

I do not think we will sign anyone. I think we will not be linked to many players either. I think the focus from the media will be on Poch and if (and when?) Ole gets sacked.

leges

Good Lord, this is the reality and not some FIFA manager stuff ...
I think that at the moment the club doesn' t have a proper market strategy , making choices that are more like a Fifa manager player than mines. Just think at vdBeek or the failed signing of Sancho or the rumors on Calhanoglu.
Concernig my strategy:
- Ajer is a young defender, he is doing well at Celtic, he is phisically very tall, and despite this he has a good speed. Lindelof is good but Ajer can be an improvement over him. There aren't big clubs on him, so we can try to buy him in January.
- Camavinga is the answer to the Matic's replacement we are searching since years. I know he is on the radar of many clubs, but if we were able to buy van de Beek, why can't we buy Camavinga?
- Haaland is exactly the centre forward we need, we had to take him already last year.

Last edited:

GameOn

I think that at the moment the club doesn' t have a proper market strategy , making choices that are more like a Fifa manager player than mines. Just think at vdBeek or the failed signing of Sancho or the rumors on Calhanoglu.
Concernig my strategy:
- Ajer is a young defender, he is doing well at Celtic, he is phisically very tall, and despite this he has a good speed. Lindelof is good but Ajer can be an improvement over him. There aren't big clubs on him, so we can try to buy him in January.
- Camavinga is the answer to the Matic's replacement we are searching since years. I know he is on the radar of many clubs, but if we were able to buy van de Beek, why can't we buy Camavinga?
- Haaland is exactly the centre forward we need, we had to take him already last year.
Camavinga is way more expensive than van de Beek and we're in the middle of a pandemic, where every club has to look at their financial situation.

Dortmund already said that they won't sell Haaland next summer and his release clause only kicks in in 2022.

Those two just won't happen in January or next summer.

leges

Camavinga is way more expensive than van de Beek and we're in the middle of a pandemic, where every club has to look at their financial situation.

Dortmund already said that they won't sell Haaland next summer and his release clause only kicks in in 2022.

Those two just won't happen in January or next summer.
Ok, but we can start by buying Ajer in January, that isn’t very expensive.
Then in the summer we will see of it’s possible to sign Camavinga or any other good midfielder and in 2022 we must sign Haaland.
Btw, It’s true that Van de Beek was cheaper than Camavinga, but he is useless for United, he plays mainly as an advanced midfielder, a position where he doesn’t offer anything more than Bruno Fernandes, that is a much better player;
Camavinga is a more complete midfielder, with defensive and offensive skills, he can play instead of Matic, while vdBeek doesn’t.
It’s better to spend more for a useful player, than spending less for a player that won’t even play as a starter!

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Ok, but we can start by buying Ajer in January, that isn’t very expensive.
Then in the summer we will see of it’s possible to sign Camavinga or any other good midfielder and in 2022 we must sign Haaland.
Btw, It’s true that Van de Beek was cheaper than Camavinga, but he is useless for United, he plays mainly as an advanced midfielder, a position where he doesn’t offer anything more than Bruno Fernandes, that is a much better player;
Camavinga is a more complete midfielder, with defensive and offensive skills, he can play instead of Matic, while vdBeek doesn’t.
It’s better to spend more for a useful player, than spending less for a player that won’t even play as a starter!
Where are you getting the money to buy Camavinga, Haaland and Ajer? I ask as Covid has wiped £140m off the balance sheet, the deadwood are on massive wages that no one else will pay (i.e. Utd are lumbered with them) and the club have spent approx £110m since Jan 2019 (Bruno + Summer signings.)

Only clubs that can spend in Jan are the Billionaire/State owned clubs who have benefactors that will dip into their own reserves. The Utd's and Dippers of this world are not going to go FIFA mode anytime soon.