January....

Ollie Derbyshire

I have to agree. Don't want a single one from the list. That's rare!
I don’t see RW as a priority for us or any attacking positions to be fair, we need to replace Jones, Rojo and Bailey with a ready made CB and a younger one, and replace Matic with a quality CDM.

Once we’ve done that we can look at bringing in other players.

croadyman

I don’t see RW as a priority for us or any attacking positions to be fair, we need to replace Jones, Rojo and Bailey with a ready made CB and a younger one, and replace Matic with a quality CDM.

Would be very surprised if we bought two CB's although Alaba would do very nicely, presume you are thinking someone more in the mould of a Torres/Badashile as the younger one.

Ollie Derbyshire

Would be very surprised if we bought two CB's although Alaba would do very nicely, presume you are thinking someone more in the mould of a Torres/Badashile as the younger one.
I don’t mind promoting one of our own to be honest if one is ready, for the ready made one, someone like Upamecano, konate, kounde etc. Don’t think we’ll get one in Jan, happy to wait till the summer to get the right one.

That’d give us;
Maguire
Lindelof
New CB
Tuanzebe
Youth promotion

I’d be happy with that, Axel needs to stay fit soon or we have another Jones/Bailey on our hands.

Having four injury prone CBs on the books is no good and we need to ship 3 of them out ASAP.

croadyman

I don’t mind promoting one of our own to be honest if one is ready, for the ready made one, someone like Upamecano, konate, kounde etc. Don’t think we’ll get one in Jan, happy to wait till the summer to get the right one.

That’d give us;
Maguire
Lindelof
New CB
Tuanzebe
Youth promotion

I’d be happy with that, Axel needs to stay fit soon or we have another Jones/Bailey on our hands.

Having four injury prone CBs on the books is no good and we need to ship 3 of them out ASAP.
Know it won't happen but Ramos is still my dream CB signing despite his age and all of that saga in 2015

Ollie Derbyshire

Know it won't happen but Ramos is still my dream CB signing despite his age and all of that saga in 2015
Yeah would happy with him for a year or two as well, would be a great leader of the back line, I think he’d be close to a guarantee to improve our defence as anyone even at his age.

AneRu

I think Jones and Rojo are not factors in the considerations the club will make - we just need to get them out ASAP. It's still one CB and one DM then maybe a striker, funds permitting.

croadyman

I think Jones and Rojo are not factors in the considerations the club will make - we just need to get them out ASAP. It's still one CB and one DM then maybe a striker, funds permitting.
Well by the sounds of that Times article Ighalo is leaving at end of next month,so could well be in the market but having said that we have Cavani.

Would you take this Caciedo at DM in Jan and agreeing a deal for a CB to come in at the end of the season.

AneRu

Well by the sounds of that Times article Ighalo is leaving at end of next month,so could well be in the market but having said that we have Cavani.

Would you take this Caciedo at DM in Jan and agreeing a deal for a CB to come in at the end of the season.
I don't know what impact Caciedo would have on the first team given that he is a teenager coming to a completely different culture and climate but if we can infer anything from Tony Valencia's time here we know he will have grit and determination.

I think a CB is more urgent given that we have Fred, McTominay, Matic, Pogba and VDB for the two midfield roles behind Bruno whilst we have a flyweight Lindelof in defense. I think Lindelof, in addition to his troublesome back, is one who puts us at most risk.

Caciedo allows us to gamble with the midfield role whilst relying on more senior players still here so a CB is a must in January. Hopefully we do it early because I don't trust Lindelof or his potential replacements especially with Tuanzebe so unlucky with injuries.

croadyman

I don't know what impact Caciedo would have on the first team given that he is a teenager coming to a completely different culture and climate but if we can infer anything from Tony Valencia's time here we know he will have grit and determination.

I think a CB is more urgent given that we have Fred, McTominay, Matic, Pogba and VDB for the two midfield roles behind Bruno whilst we have a flyweight Lindelof in defense. I think Lindelof, in addition to his troublesome back, is one who puts us at most risk.

Caciedo allows us to gamble with the midfield role whilst relying on more senior players still here so a CB is a must in January. Hopefully we do it early because I don't trust Lindelof or his potential replacements especially with Tuanzebe so unlucky with injuries.
My gut feeling is the club are going to put out a statement to the effect of our CB targets aren't available next month

AneRu

My gut feeling is the club are going to put out a statement to the effect of our CB targets aren't available next month
Realistically very few clubs would sell a CB good enough to start for Manchester United in the middle of the season considering the financial implications of relegation or missing out on European competions. So it will be a tough one to pull off but that said clubs are bleeding money in this COVID era but then so are we.

croadyman

Realistically very few clubs would sell a CB good enough to start for Manchester United in the middle of the season considering the financial implications of relegation or missing out on European competions. So it will be a tough one to pull off but that said clubs are bleeding money in this COVID era but then so are we.
I know people will bring up VVD moving in January 2018,however Southampton didn't have any european commitments whereas the majority of our targets will be involved in that. The only exceptions would be Badiashile or Milenkovic but is there really concrete interest in either.

AneRu

I know people will bring up VVD moving in January 2018,however Southampton didn't have any european commitments whereas the majority of our targets will be involved in that. The only exceptions would be Badiashile or Milenkovic but is there really concrete interest in either.
It's certainly difficult but this is top level football and this decision could determine whether we are playing European football on Tuesdays/Wednesdays or taking long trips to Russia on Thursdays so something has to be done.

croadyman

It's certainly difficult but this is top level football and this decision could determine whether we are playing European football on Tuesdays/Wednesdays or taking long trips to Russia on Thursdays so something has to be done.
I want us to bring one in as well but the noises around so far just sound like a club who are prepared to wait until the summer

Mr Smith

I personally think RW is a far bigger priority than a striker; we have Martial and Cavani, and I 100% believe Greenwood's future is in that position, as he's not really a winger and doesn't really offer width. Our attacking play constantly breaks down on the right and the lack of an actual right winger is the main reason for it. It's a problem that's about six years old as well.

wolvored

We are not getting 10 mil for Jones or Romero, probably not Lingard either. The wages they get would make them top earners at any club outside top 6-8. Bottom 12 clubs will not be paying these sorts of wages and top 8 clubs don't need our shite players. The only way to get shot of them is to give them transfers similar to Sanchez where they're either free or ridiculously cheap so the buying club can subsidise the individual players losses.
Some of you posters need to stop playing Championship Manager. Feel free to quote me if we get more than a couple mil for each of players mentioned above.
Fully agree. No one will spend on Rojo and Jones or take permanently due to they being injury prone, and I think loans until their contacts run out will be the only way to get them out the club. Romero will go on a free. Lingard and Periera might be the only players we may get a small fee for.

Craig Ward

Really? I thought we covered ourselves very well in that area
Yes really.

Pogba is leaving within the next 2 windows.
Matic cant exactly handle the pace and frequency of games now.
Fred and McTom are useful squad players.

We need quality in midfield - thats where games are won and loss.

Donny is still finding his feet here. Fred and McTom are good players, but not quality.

We only have one outstanding midfielder - Bruno.

Needs improving

AneRu

I personally think RW is a far bigger priority than a striker; we have Martial and Cavani, and I 100% believe Greenwood's future is in that position, as he's not really a winger and doesn't really offer width. Our attacking play constantly breaks down on the right and the lack of an actual right winger is the main reason for it. It's a problem that's about six years old as well.
I think we have decided to take a punt on the youngsters (Diallo and Pellestiri) and we will only make a decision, either way, after the end of next season at the earliest.

I think the only investment we would be making on this position would be £30m -£40m on someone like Buenda. Can't see us spending big on the role after investing in these two kids because I think Ole fancies a project or two to further cement his legacy.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
That would be so underwhelming, out of that lot I’d take Neto as a Lingard replacement.
@Murder on Zidane's Floor

What type of player is ward Prowse?

Is he a deep lying playmaker? Can he do what Carrick or Scholes did? Does he break up play? Is he energetic?

I think I know what type he is but I like to see how you describe him
Covers incredible distances, can break up play, can release better players, cracking set piece delivery.

UpWithRivers

What about Thauvin? RW. Contract up in summer so maybe a possibility in Jan.
And Riqui Puig is hated by Koeman. Loan with option to buy. Would be a good replacement for Pogba.
And Skriniar....I thought Inter wanted rid. 40 mill or so would be a bargain.

Yeah the Upamecanos and Haalands would be great but Im thinking actual possibilities in Jan who would solve some of the weaknesses in our team.

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I just don’t think they are what we need through the door next, Neto I do like though, Bowen not so much.
I think Neto is a good shout, still raw but has that electric pace that scares teams. Bowen always seems a handful and coming in off the right, could be a cheap option.

Ollie Derbyshire

I think Neto is a good shout, still raw but has that electric pace that scares teams. Bowen always seems a handful and coming in off the right, could be a cheap option.
I like the look of Podence as well at Wolves, seems very similar to a young Hazard from what I’ve seen, we should keep an eye out for both him and Neto. They could easily come in and push the likes of Greenwood, Martial & Rashford as our wide forwards either to another level themselves or take their spot, you never know!

LuckyScout78

I would offer Phil Jones plus money for Jannik Vestergaard from Southampton. Vestergaard look really good with Bendarek in Southampton. But with United. I think like Van Dijk. Reach another level and play on the max level more.

Vestergaard is a baller. Against City he was dictating and playing as a playmaker CB. First time in a long time i saw Southampton bosses Manchester City. Pep knew his team couldn’t match the intense and aggressive level of The Saints. Why his team set deep back and let Southampton control and dictate the game. And most of the time the ball goes trough this man. Others defenders just passed the ball to him. And Vestergaard just took the responsibility to spread the passes around.
First because he confidence with his pass foot. And taking responsibility and not afraid to fail with the passes. It just show confidence and leadership responsibility.

He has that dominance presence. And looks like a leader on the pitch.

So beside Lindelof- Maguire. Another CB partnership with Bailly - Vestergaard can be really good. Bailly will cover the top speed Vestergaard is missing. If Bailly is playing on his max level consistently. Then a powerful CB partner a one on one CB in Bailly can be really solid. Special if you have Fred and McTom ahead of them.

Here is the line up

Lindelof/Bailly - Maguire/Vestergaard

And i am 100 % sure. If you rotate Vestergaard with Maguire. It will not be big different and not a miss of Maguire.
Against team United will dominate. Lindelof and Vestergaard will work too.

Sum up. From what i have seen of Vestergaard. He is giving me a good feeling, that he will boost and strength United CB options and line up too.
He is value around 15 mill euro. With Phil Jones in the deal. Everything around 25-30 will be a good deal. 28 and 3 years contract with a further year option is logical.

I think and believe Vestergaard can turn out to be a Van Dijk boost to Liverpool. Opposite Liverpool helped Van Dijk to play on his max level more often. Playing on a dominate and winning team. Good for all parts.
So yeah. If i was Ole and Woodward i would buy Vestergaard this January.
I can see many diagonal passes from him from the left to Greenwood on the right already. He is so precise with those passes. Beside air and head ability.

My best recommendation for a CB in January.

And maybe De Ligt in few years or when De Ligt want new challenge than playing for Juventus.

Those two CB are giving me the best feeling....right now.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I would offer Phil Jones plus money for Jannik Vestergaard from Southampton. Vestergaard look really good with Bendarek in Southampton. But with United. I think like Van Dijk. Reach another level and play on the max level more.

Vestergaard is a baller. Against City he was dictating and playing as a playmaker CB. First time in a long time i saw Southampton bosses Manchester City. Pep knew his team couldn’t match the intense and aggressive level of The Saints. Why his team set deep back and let Southampton control and dictate the game. And most of the time the ball goes trough this man. Others defenders just passed the ball to him. And Vestergaard just took the responsibility to spread the passes around.
First because he confidence with his pass foot. And taking responsibility and not afraid to fail with the passes. It just show confidence and leadership responsibility.

So beside Lindelof- Maguire. Another CB partnership with Bailly - Vestergaard can be really good. Bailly will cover the top speed Vestergaard is missing. If Bailly is playing on his max level consistently. Then a powerful CB partner a one on one CB in Bailly can be really solid. Special if you have Fred and McTom ahead of them.

Here is the line up

And i am 100 % sure. If you rotate Vestergaard with Maguire. It will not be big different and not a miss of Maguire.

Sum up. From what i have seen of Vestergaard. He is giving me a good feeling, that he will boost and strength United CB options and line up too.
He is value around 15 mill euro. With Phil Jones in the deal. Everything around 25-30 will be a good deal. 28 and 3 years contract with a further year option is logical.

I think and believe Vestergaard can turn out to be a Van Dijk boost to Liverpool. Opposite Liverpool helped Van Dijk to play on his max level more often. Playing on a dominate and winning team. Good for all parts.
I can see many diagonal passes from him from the left to Greenwood on the right already. He is so precise with those passes. Beside air and head ability.

And maybe De Ligt in few years or when De Ligt want new challenge than playing for Juventus.

Why would Southampton's manager want Jones man - he is a good manager. Maybe Sam Allardyce will but not Southampton's guy.

Here is the line up

the reality is the we are not rotating anyone with Maguire.

we are after a partner for Maguire and/ or a young player looking to make the next step up.

buying a new CB and still playing Bailly sounds like insanity and a terrible waste of money.

LuckyScout78

Why would Southampton's manager want Jones man - he is a good manager. Maybe Sam Allardyce will but not Southampton's guy.
You can offer them Jones or Rojo. If they want them or not, is another question. Jones is a decent a good CB.

Adamsk7

Think we’ll do Caicedo and obviously Diallo is already coming in. After that, I reckon we might get one player, a CB, as the board will have been encouraged by what Bruno brought in last January. £50m Max value. I can see us going for Pau Torres as there’s been a fair bit of smoke about him the last year or so.

croadyman

Think we’ll do Caicedo and obviously Diallo is already coming in. After that, I reckon we might get one player, a CB, as the board will have been encouraged by what Bruno brought in last January. £50m Max value. I can see us going for Pau Torres as there’s been a fair bit of smoke about him the last year or so.
Think it really depends how far off the leaders we are in early January as to whether we buy a CB

G-MUFC

A centre back that isn’t a snail, coward or injury prone please!
That pretty much encapsulates all our centre backs of the last eight years.

We were able to transform our attack last season though a top quality purchase in January. We need to do the same with our defence.

If I hear people say that there's never many options to buy in the January window again I think I'll lose my mind:
Van Dijk
Suarez
Vidic
Evra
Bruno

croadyman

That pretty much encapsulates all our centre backs of the last eight years.

We were able to transform our attack last season though a top quality purchase in January. We need to do the same with our defence.

If I hear people say that there's never many options to buy in the January window again I think I'll lose my mind:
Van Dijk
Suarez
Vidic
Evra
Bruno
We won't get the likes of Upamecano, Grealish, Sancho or Konate in January, however there are opportunities for

Milenkovic
Badiashile
Bissouma

croadyman

CDM, CF, CB, RW in that order,

Would be happy with any of those though as long as its a good player. If we could offload some deadweight too that would be splendid
Would swap around CF & CB but agree with those four positions, could also throw in a backup RB who offers more going forward than we currently get with Wan Bissaka.

Judas

Open to offers
I hope the board see we're in a position of strength right now, 2nd in the league, looking an attractive proposition for players. Bloody use the momentum in the transfer window to bring in some more quality.

Devil may care

You can see Maguire looks more confident with Bailly's pace next to him, but we know Bailly can't stay fit, it's crucial to get a CB in january, especially as Axel is also injury prone and Lindelof is out injured. The CB needs to be fast, athletic and experienced enough to not require guidance as that's not Maguire's strong suit.

If we can also add Caicedo and Max Aarons for a combined £20M that would be a brilliant January window.

croadyman

You can see Maguire looks more confident with Bailly's pace next to him, but we know Bailly can't stay fit, it's crucial to get a CB in january, especially as Axel is also injury prone and Lindelof is out injured. The CB needs to be fast, athletic and experienced enough to not require guidance as that's not Maguire's strong suit.

If we can also add Caicedo and Max Aarons for a combined £20M that would be a brilliant January window.
Think the best we can hope for in January is Caciedo, a quick CB as Bailly unlikely to stay fit for a prolonged period of time and promoting Laird to give us an attacking option at RB. I think the fact we haven't seen Williams play there at all suggests he is off on loan when the window opens.