Januzaj | Confirmed: On Loan at Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would be great but only if LVG prioritises his development rather than being overly harsh on him while his friend with benefits Wayne stinks up the pitch.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lingard and Depay have been starting for us quite regularly.

Mata is hardly pulling up trees either.
He's just as frustrating as Memphis and Lingard. Itd probably be more beneficial for him to go elsewhere again if he hadn't already played for two clubs.

Blackwidow

Can't wait for van Gaal to decide he isn't good enough again after one game against tough opponent.

He is not good enough. If he would be he would take his chances and show a performance. He does not. If you ask Dortmund and their fans they do not tell much positives about him. A lot of training sessions in Germany are open - and a lot fans go to watch then, too - so they see more than the "normal" EPL customer does. And he was given chances - but like elsewhere, when you do not show the attitude and you do not show form - let alone be productive - you do not get forward. He wished himself to be loaned to Dortmund - he was not "pressed" there. He is not a bloody youngster either.

How many chances would you to give him? And if he does show a good performance somewhen now, would that be that he always does that in the future. Or does he need consistent kicks in the butt - even then he is wrong at a top club and should find a club that is on his level.

But yes - like usually here in the forum - why not blame van Gaal. Van Gaal just can give guidelines - the young players have to show there value and work hard. The past shows that no other coach had so much patience with young ones, gave so much opportunities - but it is the players themselves to have the right work attitude etc. If they did van Gaal was their best caretaker.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
We loan Januzaj people complain, we bring Januzaj back from loan, people complain :confused:
Those complaining about recalling him are daft.
Those who complained about the stupidity of loaning him to Dortmund were pretty much yelling the obvious.

ottosec

Good news, I'm pleased to see him back, God knows why he was loaned in the first place.

Truedevil

He should have been kept after his goal against Villa and after that decent performance in the CL against Brugge.

Feels like a new signing, good one too.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is not good enough. If he would be he would take his chances and show a performance. He does not. If you ask Dortmund and their fans they do not tell much positives about him. A lot of training sessions in Germany are open - and a lot fans go to watch then, too - so they see more than the "normal" EPL customer does. And he was given chances - but like elsewhere, when you do not show the attitude and you do not show form - let alone be productive - you do not get forward. He wished himself to be loaned to Dortmund - he was not "pressed" there. He is not a bloody youngster either.

How many chances would you to give him? And if he does show a good performance somewhen now, would that be that he always does that in the future. Or does he need consistent kicks in the butt - even then he is wrong at a top club and should find a club that is on his level.

But yes - like usually here in the forum - why not blame van Gaal. Van Gaal just can give guidelines - the young players have to show there value and work hard. The past shows that no other coach had so much patience with young ones, gave so much opportunities - but it is the players themselves to have the right work attitude etc. If they did van Gaal was their best caretaker.
Van Gaal gave far worse players chance while Januzaj never really got any decent run of games under him.

He was poor for Dortmund, fine, but that has nothing do to with players here who are far from great form.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Glad to have him back, hopefully he makes an impact here. Still don't understand the logic behind the loan though.

Blackwidow

My main concern now is that Van Gaal sells him eventually, before riding off into the sunset and leaving us to pick up the pieces. A player like Januzaj doesn't thrive in the sort of style we play, so I can't see how he'll impress under LVG.
So - why are you scared he gets sold or leaves United? Especially if he does not impress... Because somewhen in the next 20 years he might have a goal or assist or play good when you only give him 1000 chances - but probably only when he is given the perfect conditions concerning position, midfielder, opponent etc.

He is to slow to impress on the wings - not tricky enough - and does not offer enough creativity in the center - that is what the Dortmund fans say. Do you think some of this still changes?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
So - why are you scared he gets sold or leaves United? Especially if he does not impress... Because somewhen in the next 20 years he might have a goal or assist or play good when you only give him 1000 chances - but probably only when he is given the perfect conditions concerning position, midfielder, opponent etc.

He is to slow to impress on the wings - not tricky enough - and does not offer enough creativity in the center - that is what the Dortmund fans say. Do you think some of this still changes?
What are you talking about, what 1000 chances?

He was excellent in his first season and poor in his only season under van Gaal under which our all attacking players have been shit, and he barely got any run of games like many other players did.

Blackwidow

Van Gaal gave far worse players chance while Januzaj never really got any decent run of games under him.

He was poor for Dortmund, fine, but that has nothing do to with players here who are far from great form.
I did not know that Januzaj came to United with van Gaal...

When I look into his data at Wikipedia he already has 46 appearances for United and scored 5 goals. So I guess he already got bunches of chances to impress for the club...

And no - you do not need professionals that only work out fine when it is sunny and everything is working smoothly.

FromTheBench

He's just 20 though. By your standards we should sell Depay also, and should have also sold Cristiano Ronaldo at 20. (Imagine the ball loosing erratic winger of his type at the time in a LVG Philosophy team.)

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I did not know that Januzaj came to United with van Gaal...

When I look into his data at Wikipedia he already has 46 appearances for United and scored 5 goals. So I guess he already got bunches of chances to impress for the club...

And no - you do not need professionals that only work out fine when it is sunny and everything is working smoothly.
How about looking his bright performances in his first season instead of stats, and looking every one of our attacking players performing under van Gaal and then judge him, not after checking his stats and listening what Dortmund fans had to say about him after 5 games he's played for them.

If he doesn't show anything in another year or two in team in which attacking players actually play decent football then I will be ready to give up on him, but not under these circumstances.

C'est Moi Cantona

Yes, it seems LvG just couldn't make his mind up with Januzaj, I think he knows full well there is a good player in there but was frustrated he couldn't get him to show it, so he was in and out of the team and played all over the place, but now with hindsight after virtually all our attackers have been pretty bad, (some worse than others admittedly) it makes more sense as to why he dropped off so badly, what chance did a young kid who clearly needs an arm around him have under LvG?

I just hope LvG takes a differnt approach with him and gets him playing again, but I won't hold my breath, reckon he'd thrive under Giggs though.

Blackwidow

He's just 20 though. By your standards we should sell Depay also, and should have also sold Cristiano Ronaldo at 20. (Imagine the ball loosing erratic winger of his type at the time in a LVG Philosophy team.)
Does it have anything to do with age? The age today does not so much today anymore in which a big part of the players already got professional training for years.

If you want to wait for years that somewhen the real breakthrough comes (if it comes) fine.

ottosec

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. He must have been really shit for Dormund for them to say that.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
@Blackwidow thanks for the info on what the Dortmund fans think of Adnan. I have to say I'm not too sure about him. Yes he did explode on the scene during Moyes' season, but he wasn't good all the way throughout that season - in fact his performances started tailing off during the second half of that season..
My biggest problem with him is his bad decision making and lack of consistency. Also needs to toughen up mentally. I'm not quite sure whether he has the tools to achieve this. If as has been said, his attitude in training stinks - then I honestly don't know if he's gonna make it.

Here's hoping he comes back with a different, better mindset....

Blackwidow

How about looking his bright performances in his first season instead of stats, and looking every one of our attacking players performing under van Gaal and then judge him, not after checking his stats and listening what Dortmund fans had to say about him after 5 games he's played for them.

If he doesn't show anything in another year or two in team in which attacking players actually play decent football then I will be ready to give up on him, but not under these circumstances.
You could.

If it would be my team and my decision I would not. Give others the chance who might take it. The players that are really world beaters might not show always something when the environment is not so good - but they atleast make a difference to the other players on the pitch most of the matches. Can you tell that of Januzaj?

And yes - there would always be the risk that when he leaves he would function somewhere else. But that does not mean that he would have functioned at United. You cannot life on ifs...

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous.
Not what I watched. I saw him play sometimes - but usually without any success and he did not look good. But I sometimes read in their forums - and just copied their opinion.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
You can't teach balance and touch, and it's one thing he's always shown.

I don't think he quite be the world beater we originally thought, but there is still potential for a very good player there.

Time on his side too. Let's hope he has the mindset to make it and doesn't have a weak mentality.

I do believe that massive contract he got could well be the reason why he hasn't pushed on at a rate we expected. 50k at 18/19 is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

FromTheBench

Does it have anything to do with age? The age today does not so much today anymore in which a big part of the players already got professional training for years.

If you want to wait for years that somewhen the real breakthrough comes (if it comes) fine.
So you would have sold Cristiano ronaldo as he had just 6/7 goals in his first 46 appearances for the club by the same logic ? And SAF was wrong in investing time in him when he has was having some stinkers ? Should have sold him ?
And that's even ignoring the fact that it wasn't such a constraint system at the time as is now.

Btw, Kane was struggling at Championship level before his breakthrough came out of nowhere.

He clearly has the talent and considering he's only 20, we need to spend time in him for the future and get what we can get out of him right now which is a decent amount too considering our other options. Just because his breakthrough might not come under LVG doesn't mean we allow LVG to sell our most promising talents.

Jazz

Yes, it seems LvG just couldn't make his mind up with Januzaj, I think he knows full well there is a good player in there but was frustrated he couldn't get him to show it, so he was in and out of the team and played all over the place, but now with hindsight after virtually all our attackers have been pretty bad, (some worse than others admittedly) it makes more sense as to why he dropped off so badly, what chance did a young kid who clearly needs an arm around him have under LvG?

I just hope LvG takes a differnt approach with him and gets him playing again, but I won't hold my breath, reckon he'd thrive under Giggs though.
See I thought that since Giggs clearly has a soft spot for him (it's been reported anyway) - I thought Giggs being ass Manager would be able to get Adnan on the right track - but it didn't happen. Same thing Giggs supposedly has Depay under his wing - same thing - nothing happening. So not sure Giggs is the right person to get this kid going.

ants7

Like a new signing.

I feel bad saying this as he was a real star at first in our first team and I really liked him, but I doubt he actually offers us anything other than more frustration. Let's wait and see that hopefully I'm wrong.

FromTheBench

See I thought that since Giggs clearly has a soft spot for him (it's been reported anyway) - I thought Giggs being ass Manager would be able to get Adnan on the right track - but it didn't happen. Same thing Giggs supposedly has Depay under his wing - same thing - nothing happening. So not sure Giggs is the right person to get this kid going.
Thing both depay and Januzaj need a more fluid and direct interchanging attacking system with freedom plus consistent games despite some inconsistencies.

Dunno, if giggs is the guy to give them that and balance the team at the same time. (Tough art) But it's not just about arm around the shoulders.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
You could.

If it would be my team and my decision I would not. Give others the chance who might take it. The players that are really world beaters might not show always something when the environment is not so good - but they atleast make a difference to the other players on the pitch most of the matches. Can you tell that of Januzaj?
To who exactly?

To keep on playing the likes of Rooney and Fellaini who are either past it(Rooney) or were never near good enough for a start(Fellaini)? Or keep pretending that Memphis is better talent than him even though he showed absolutely nothing so far for United but yet already played more this season than Januzaj managed for entire last season? Or to play Young in his position in easier games even though he was never good enough to be a starter here and keep Januzaj on the bench(nothing against Young btw, great squad player)?

Yeah, seems like a great idea, look how great we are attacking wise with thinking like that.

SalfordRed1960

My main concern now is that Van Gaal sells him eventually, before riding off into the sunset and leaving us to pick up the pieces. A player like Januzaj doesn't thrive in the sort of style we play, so I can't see how he'll impress under LVG.
He could just contribute like Martial, rather than run down blind alleys. He needs an end product and not try to do everything himself.

Blackwidow

So you would have sold Cristiano ronaldo as he had just 6/7 goals in his first 46 appearances for the club by the same logic ? And SAF was wrong in investing time in him when he has was having some stinkers ? Should have sold him ?
And that's even ignoring the fact that it wasn't such a constraint system at the time as is now.

Btw, Kane was struggling at Championship level before his breakthrough came out of nowhere.

He clearly has the talent and considering he's only 20, we need to spend time in him for the future and get what we can get out of him right now which is a decent amount too considering our other options. Just because his breakthrough might not come under LVG doesn't mean we allow LVG to sell our most promising talents.
Did I say that? But is Januzaj Cristiano Ronaldo - does he perform like him etc.?

Every club has this kind of decisions. Bayern loans and sells right now 4 of their promising youth players - all 19 or 20 - because even if they have showed sparks they have not shown the development needed in the last 2 years.

Try them - but somewhen you have to part with them if they do not show enough to be permanent starters in the team. Nobody - especially not the player (maybe is bank account) is helped by waiting too long.

Last edited:

Xivon

Supports
Bayern Munich

In the Dortmund games I watched it was quite the opposite, he was trying too much and too much on his own. More often than not his dribbling was unsuccessful and he lost the ball (in the final third) with his team mates in better positions when a simple pass would have been what's needed. Reading through a fan forum many shared that view - which is obviously not representing all BVB fans. Nevertheless I seem to have watched a different Januzaj then.

Jazz

Thing both depay and Januzaj need a more fluid and direct interchanging attacking system with freedom plus consistent games despite some inconsistencies.

Dunno, if giggs is the guy to give them that and balance the team at the same time. (Tough art) But it's not just about arm around the shoulders.
Yeah I know it's not just about the 'arm around the shoulders' - it's a bit more nuanced - but of course if Giggs has the ability to manage these different things it hasn't been shown with these kids as yet.

The problem with getting Depay and Januzaj to play in a system that suits their talents is that we don't seem to have any breathing space or a solid enough base to give these guys the minutes and freedom they need to do their thing - whilst making mistakes etc. Every single game we play nowadays needs a good result - it's not exactly a great environment for these young players to develop.That's why I was keen on Januzaj going on loan - however only somewhere he could get good consistent minutes.

Blackwidow

In the Dortmund games I watched it was quite the opposite, he was trying too much and too much on his own. More often than not his dribbling was unsuccessful and he lost the ball (in the final third) with his team mates in better positions when a simple pass would have been what's needed. Reading through a fan forum many shared that view - which is obviously not representing all BVB fans. Nevertheless I seem to have watched a different Januzaj then.
Not in the ones I did. He looked like a one-trick-pony without really getting to grips. But - I do not know if I am a very good judge. I might expect too much of the players as was shown lately in the de Bruyne thread where everybody seemed to be confident with a scene and I thought that he should have kept running after a pass to be a bigger danger to the opposing box.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What was our last successful top flight loan? Welbeck at Sunderland? There has to be a more recent one I'm forgetting about.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

With all due respect, their analysis of Januzaj based on his brief time at Dortmund means very little to me. I don't trust Dortmund fans, have you seen some of the reviews that our fans give our players on here?

Januzaj was class in the youth and was very good in his first season with the first team. You don't just turn your back on that. He's still young and with the right coach I think he'll do well here. That coach isn't Van Gaal.

Status
Not open for further replies.