Japan national team thread

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Beating Germany and Spain in a world cup. Unbelievable.

Maybe they are the dark horses after all.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Dark horses? Never. Unless they can channel that bs anime plot armour.

Keiro

Was hoping to see Hiroki Ito this tournament as I think he’d be a smart, inexpensive back-up for Martinez. They’ve stuck with defensive veterans at the back though and been impressive.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It's truly a team's game for them.
Since that is a rare mentality, they have an advantage over many other national teams.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Since Mitoma started playing for Brighton, I have suddenly had a lot more interest in Japan, he is a wonderful player.

Kopral Jono

I don’t think Japan are anything special. A well-drilled side capable of a few surprises, sure, but they rode their luck against Germany and stank the whole place up in their second game. But somewhat ironically the one game they fully deserved to win was last night -- and at 2-1 they could have scored another goal through a lovely counter.

RedDevilMachine

They will lose to Croatia, you heard it here first. Always raise their game against the big nations but go back to being shite when they face the smaller ones. Pointless team.

Kopral Jono

They will lose to Croatia, you heard it here first. Always raise their game against the big nations but go back to being shite when they face the smaller ones. Pointless team.
I agree with this. Most definitely not a pointless team, though. A pointless team won’t top a group that has Germany and Spain in it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Did benefit significantly from Spain being unwilling to attack in the final 20 minutes. But they did the hard yards and put themselves in that position with the quick second half goals.

RedDevilMachine

I agree with this. Most definitely not a pointless team, though. A pointless team won’t top a group that has Germany and Spain in it.
I mean what is the point of being so good in one game and then go back to being shite in the next game? If you're going to top a group that has Germany and Spain and even knocking out Germany, you better make sure you go all the way but this Japan team will inevitably lose to Croatia. This is why I always prefer all the big nations to progress as we can see high quality games between the big teams.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Usally, a team makes one upset at a tournament. But to beat 2 big teams makes them slight underdogs. From what I've seen I think they've as much a chance as Spain or England. And a less chance than Brazil, France, Argentina and Portugal. But what do I know? Hard to predict.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I have money on Japan winning the tournament, long shot I know but I always fancy an Asian team to do well.

Japan look organised, sharp, extremely fit and have some very talented players.

Real Name

Certainly better to play them then Spain cause I think players would again be afraid of Spain like in Euros although we can play against them without being overly defensive imo.
But it will be our undoing if we underestimate Japan, they're organized, defend superbly and are deadly in attack.
It will be very important if we can score early on to break up tension cause the longer its 0-0 or even 0-1 or so its worse.

We played them 2 times in WCs. In 1998 we beat them in a hard fought hame when Šuker scored the winner and in 2006 they held us to a 0-0 draw. Never an easy game this.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
How the hell did they lose to Costa Rica ?!

Glad to see them through

RedDevilQuebecois

It's truly a team's game for them.
Since that is a rare mentality, they have an advantage over many other national teams.
Indeed. It is what I like from most Japanese national teams I have seen since I first took interest in them back in 2002.

Glad to see them through
Based on what I have seen from Japan after 2018, I think they changed their ways to defend better and to use a counterattacking game to great effect. However, the manager has often been accused of being reactive on top of choosing the wrong starters in so many matches. That could explain why Japan didn't look good against Costa Rica (who parked the bus all day) and yet knew how/when to exploit weaknesses against the likes of Germany and Spain. Croatia will be a physically demanding test for Japan, but the task is far from impossible as we have seen with the many chances that Croatia conceded (before Lukaku squandered all of them). I would be more afraid for Japan if they were set to play a high-pressure team like Morocco, who WILL make Spain sweat, instead.

Story to be continued. Going beyond the round of 16 is the next hurdle for Japan to overcome.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well fecking done. They play nice footy an Japan is a country that's easy to get behind

Bondi77

I have been a fan for quite a while.
Great technique, all work hard for each other and run till the end.....they remind me of us a little while back.

DrogaPortoroz

Pointless? What a stupid thing to say. I have colleagues from Japan and they are chuffed this morning.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Indeed. It is what I like from most Japanese national teams I have seen since I first took interest in them back in 2002.

Based on what I have seen from Japan after 2018, I think they changed their ways to defend better and to use a counterattacking game to great effect. However, the manager has often been accused of being reactive on top of choosing the wrong starters in so many matches. That could explain why Japan didn't look good against Costa Rica (who parked the bus all day) and yet knew how/when to exploit weaknesses against the likes of Germany and Spain. Croatia will be a physically demanding test for Japan, but the task is far from impossible as we have seen with the many chances that Croatia conceded (before Lukaku squandered all of them). I would be more afraid for Japan if they were set to play a high-pressure team like Morocco, who WILL make Spain sweat, instead.

Story to be continued. Going beyond the round of 16 is the next hurdle for Japan to overcome.
Ye I think that is it - shades of Ole's United who had a strong big game record but struggled against bus parkers

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Odd comment, are you basing this on three games? If so it's a very small sample size, also are the previous world cup finalists now described as a small team?

If you watch a lot of Japanese football then maybe you'd have a point, otherwise this a pointless post.

Kopral Jono

I mean what is the point of being so good in one game and then go back to being shite in the next game? If you're going to top a group that has Germany and Spain and even knocking out Germany, you better make sure you go all the way but this Japan team will inevitably lose to Croatia. This is why I always prefer all the big nations to progress as we can see high quality games between the big teams.
Japan aren't anything special and Croatia will most likely beat them, this I agree with you. I also think the love-in for them is a bit unwarranted. We see well-organised teams at major tournaments all the time and I feel they aren't any different. That said, your bolded statement here borders on arrogance: there is nothing inevitable with any team that manage to beat Germany and Spain in a World Cup regardless of luck.

You may have missed the memo but part of the romance of the World Cup is unfancied teams doing the borderline impossible. This has been part of the tournament for the longest time -- from the United States beating England way back before our time in 1950, the Miracle of Bern, Bulgaria v Germany in 1994, Croatia and South Korea in 1998 and 2002 respectively to Ghana almost reaching the semis in 2010. As much as the ultimate aim for any side is to go all the way, creating lore and backstory for future tournaments is just as important. If I want to watch high-quality sides pit out against each other in tactical chess games I'll stick to the Champions League knockout phase.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Japan never seem to have a player like Haaland, Salah, Mane or Son, but they are collectively very impressive. They have made it to the knockout stages in 3 out of the last 4 world cups if you include this one. There can't be much more than 10 nations who have achieved the same?

Overall I have Japan in my "good" bracket alongside teams like Denmark and Mexico.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Morita is a nice midfielder from Sporting I hope Japan do well!

Swordsman

You talking about spain too right

Merk78

I would say they're used to teams coming at them and then using their speed to attack. Costa Rica had 1 shot on target on Sunday and sat in for the best part. I expect their game with Croatia to be a very tight, low scoring affair.

No doubt a 7 goal thriller now...

Reactions: Rood

Ainu

I always enjoy watching them and their fans seem great. I hope they get a good run and I'll keep watching their games with interest. Don't see them going all the way or anything, although it would be awesome.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Didn't they rotate players against Costa Rica, hence the dire performance?

Chief123

Fair play to them, they seem to have fantastic spirit and attitude!

Im rooting for them simply because of the nature of Japanese people. Seeing the fans going around the stadium after each game and cleaning up all the rubbish is so wholesome and gives me hope in humanity. :drool:

JeffFromHK

Mitoma may be a great backup for Rashford (Sancho is not as he lacks explosiveness and doesn't have that mentality to play when we are losing), though I don't think Brighton will let him go cheap

Chief123

Didn't they rotate players against Costa Rica, hence the dire performance?
I doubt they would have done that when beating Costa Rica would have guaranteed qualification. There’s no way they’d rest players against Costa Rica in order to play them against Spain. Wouldn’t make sense.