Japan national team thread

Chief123

Mitoma may be a great backup for Rashford (Sancho is not as he lacks explosiveness and doesn't have that mentality to play when we are losing), though I don't think Brighton will let him go cheap
He looks so quick!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
As Mitoma has been one of their best players when on the pitch, what is the reason for them never starting him and then bringing him on when they are losing? Same with Tomiyasu, really.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Calling an underdog beating two giants, knocking one of them out in the process and topping their group "pointless", because they might not win another game that they haven't even played yet. Why do some of you even watch football?

MDFC Manager

Calling an underdog beating two giants, knocking one of them out in the process and topping their group "pointless", because they might not win another game that they haven't even played yet. Why do some of you even watch football?
Crazy innit.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I don't know if the poster in question is European, but there has always been a European arrogance when it comes to the world cup. I can't count the number of times I've heard people say that they prefer the Euros because it's higher quality and that the only teams they miss is Brazil and Argentina. I've also heard a lot of whining about Europe not getting more spots in the world cup, which I definitely disagree with.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think Japan are anything special. A well-drilled side capable of a few surprises, sure, but they rode their luck against Germany and stank the whole place up in their second game. But somewhat ironically the one game they fully deserved to win was last night -- and at 2-1 they could have scored another goal through a lovely counter.
They stank the second game because the manager decided to rest about 5 starters for some bizarre reason. Such a bad decision

Zetrio2002

Actually Japan has been kind of underrated these days because of Park Ji Sung and Son Heung Min. But the truth is Japan has always been a powerhouse in Asia and they have won more championship than South Korea actually.

ryadmahrez

The Japanese are not playing their normal game. They normally excel in keeping possession and lots of chance creation. A bit like spain lite. They have many hidden gems playing all over europe who excel in technical ability. In WC18 they were lovely to watch. Especially the way they played Belgium off the park for most of the game.This tournament the coach is opting for sitting back with choosing speed over quality. It has turned out good for them in the end, but they needed some luck.
The coach hasnt impressed me one bit. Makes very strange choices, especially against Costa Rica. In the end heis a very lucky man. Overall the quality they have is very underrated. Lots of technical ability, with Mitoma as a standout, because he has a combination of elite speed. They have many talents who are upcoming, so look out for them to develop as a country in the future. Especially if they get a good coach.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This. isn’t this the beauty of the game?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Team of the World cup so far. Just edging out Morocco. Beating Germany and then Spain after recovering from disappointment of the Costa Rica game is huge impressive.

Think it shows with constant exposure to World stage and continual investment which can be achieved.

Go back to about 2000 and they were a relative minnow. Then got the boost from making last 16 at 2002 and since then they've been a consistent qualifier and have made last 16 on a few occasions, certainly possible this can be their maiden QF appearance.

Pretty good strength in depth in this squad aswell when you think Tomyisau, Minamino, Kubo, Asano are all or have been decent players in europe and Kubo was only one to start yesterday. Kamada is also very good and will probably get a good move next summer. Again just a contrast to 20 years back when Nakata and Shinji Ono aside, other Japanese players in europe were largely signed for marketing purposes and made little impact in the european leagues.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I mean what is the point of being so good in one game and then go back to being shite in the next game? If you're going to top a group that has Germany and Spain and even knocking out Germany, you better make sure you go all the way but this Japan team will inevitably lose to Croatia. This is why I always prefer all the big nations to progress as we can see high quality games between the big teams.
Japan bring plenty to World cups so pointless is harsh. Them losing 3-2 to Belgium in 2018 was one of the games of the tournament, were 2 up and got done by counter attacker in 94th minute.

Were also a penalty shoot out away from reaching QFs in 2010.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I mean what is the point of being so good in one game and then go back to being shite in the next game? If you're going to top a group that has Germany and Spain and even knocking out Germany, you better make sure you go all the way but this Japan team will inevitably lose to Croatia. This is why I always prefer all the big nations to progress as we can see high quality games between the big teams.
Not a surprise if Croatia beat them though, they have way better players than Japan.

And in the knock out stage individual quality usually makes the difference, for example i don't think Germany would have lost to Japan in a knockout game, if it had to happen it was in a group stage match.

Last edited:

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I don't know if the poster in question is European, but there has always been a European arrogance when it comes to the world cup. I can't count the number of times I've heard people say that they prefer the Euros because it's higher quality and that the only teams they miss is Brazil and Argentina. I've also heard a lot of whining about Europe not getting more spots in the world cup, which I definitely disagree with.
We in southamerica are a bit arrogant as well, when it comes to asian teams, especially argentinian journalists, which is why many South America always cheer against Argentina, the most petulant and arrogant journalists are the argentinian ones.

Now they are quite because Conmebol quality is currently mediocre, and we are going back to the 70s,80s, and 90s when only Brazil and Argentina from Conmebol were getting far in a WC.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I have never heard anyone say the Euros is better than the WC. There is nothing more boring than watching Luxembourg play. European teams in general are a much higher level than the rest of the World because of money but this year it’s not going to a European team.

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

Dark horses? That would be nethelands, believe me, watch this space when nethelands and portugal will be fighting in the final

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I have never heard anyone say the Euros is better than the WC. There is nothing more boring than watching Luxembourg play. European teams in general are a much higher level than the rest of the World because of money but this year it’s not going to a European team.
Luxembourg doesn't play the Euros, and tbf they were Euros better than some World Cups: Euro 2000 was definitely better than the underwhelming WC 2002 for me, and the Euro 2008 was better than the WC 2010 itself imo.
It's undeniable that the Euro with 16 teams was by far the best continental tournament, and it was super close to a WC in term of excitement, obviously the new format with 24 teams have lowered the quality.

Also Brazil dominates thanks to money as well, the amount of money they invest in football(thanks to its massive GDP) is only paired by 3-4 european countries, and they have a massive population in favor too.
Still money itself doesn't mean much, England have always invested huge in Football, and since the 70s they never came close to dominate international football.

Golden Nugget

Shame they went out on penalties (which were bad). Really enjoyed watching them throughout the World Cup - guessed them penalties summed them up, they just couldn’t finish. Their overall play, teamwork, energy was a joy to watch - but probably could have and should have finished the game off at half time.

Still, massive respect to them.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I made a thread about gatekeepers in football and my conclusion is that Croatia is the ultimate gatekeeper. It's fitting enough that Japan go out against Croatia, because if I were to create a thread about the countries lurking outside the gate then Japan would be one of the first countries I think of. They have made it past the group stage in 3 out of the last 4 world cups, which is pretty impressive. 2 times out on penalties, 1 time knocked out by peak Belgium. Nothing to be ashamed of that!

I like what I saw from Mitoma, Ito and Doan, but we're too stacked on the wings. I'm sure some of these players will be picked up soon. Mitoma has hardly gotten any playtime for Brighton, so I wonder if that will change now.

SER19

Those penalties were as close to disgusting as football can be. The worst set I've seen from a team

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Good side. Poor finishing. Atrocious penalities. I don't know why the other takers didn't decide to blast it after seeing the keeper comfortably save soft attempts.

1 time knocked out by peak Belgium.
And just barely at that. 3-2, last second goal.

KeanoMagicHat

I love the positive way they play, particularly players like Ito who was beating his man and putting great crosses in and Doan who had a bit of everything. Added a lot to this World Cup, there was nothing in that game against Croatia. Shame about the terrible penalties, looked like Croatia did their research. This is a big missed opportunity though for a quarter final place and a best ever World Cup.

Thought Asano was terrible at holding the ball up in that second half once he came on and they ran out of steam a bit, Croatia just have a way of doing enough.

led_scholes

The 2018 team was more exciting. Shame that they hadn't practiced penalties in their life.

Kopral Jono

As a collective Japan are up there with the very best the rest of the world i.e. not Europe and South America has to offer. What they lack in quality (I think they're painfully average at an individual level) they more than make up for in tenacity and cohesiveness. I would place them just below the level of Morocco or a full-strength Senegal, on par with Mexico and slightly above the United States or South Korea.

Edit: comfortably above South Korea!

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Good tournament for them. Beating Spain, Germany and losing on penalties to Croatia. They produce so many good players but never a prolific striker. Kyogo isn’t world class but it’s baffling he wasn’t picked.

One of my favourite teams to watch over the years, hope they can continue to progress.