Jarrod Bowen

M16Red

I'm not moaning, just stating that we never seem to be in for these players before they become 100m pound players. Like we're better than that, people on here seem to think that we're going to sign world class players... if you was a world class player where would you go City with Pep, Pool with Klop, Real with Ze, etc or here? our football isn't even the best i've seen in mid table this year.[/SPOILER]
He is but he’ll never be a good enough for a top club and that’s including being a squad player. He’s bottom half PL good enough nothing more.
Case in point.

if he was called Daniosa Jamildo would that make it more attractive to you?

M16Red

I'm a season pass holder at the KCOM, trust me I just don't see him being anywhere near good enough.
Hull, are you talking about Bowen? He looks a bit greedy with the ball, reminds me of Adama Traore in has all the tools just not the mind.

Welbeckham

Daniel James is clearly more exciting than Jarrod Bowen, since he stole this thread. I think if we were to sign a player from Championship, we should go for James or Max Aarons.

M16Red

Right is his preferred and prolific side but he's a good option and still a threat from the left.
There must be a couple of gem's in the lower league, who's stood out for you when sat in the KC?

We should try and get him in Jan, his contract expires in 2020, plays RW and has 8 goals and 2 assists so far this season.

Red_Beans

after the success so far of DJ I think we'll take more punts on championship players. not sure Bowen is the one but we will see more signings of his calibre

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Some interesting comments about James early in this thread...

Robbie Boy

Most people thought the same about James tbh, you don't know until you try.
I think the problem is that now every retort regarding Championship players will be along the lines of “but what about James”. To be honest, James has impressed me especially his energy and enthusiasm but I think some are desperate to see things with him that simply aren’t there.

There are far more players that moved from Championship teams to PL teams that simply weren’t good enough than ones that were resounding successes. At the end of the day, if we want to get back to being any kind of force, we can’t be signing a load of Championship players in the hope they’ll become stars. I would love us to take some punts of course but I would rather leave the liked of Bowen to the bottom half PL teams.

James has that crazy pace though, with Bowen he just doesn't seem to have any outstanding attributes that I think would translate to the top of the Premier League. Could be wrong of course.
I think the problem is that now every retort regarding Championship players will be along the lines of “but what about James”. To be honest, James has impressed me especially his energy and enthusiasm but I think some are desperate to see things with him that simply aren’t there.

There are far more players that moved from Championship teams to PL teams that simply weren’t good enough than ones that were resounding successes. At the end of the day, if we want to get back to being any kind of force, we can’t be signing a load of Championship players in the hope they’ll become stars. I would love us to take some punts of course but I would rather leave the liked of Bowen to the bottom half PL teams.
Fair enough - he might not be good enough to be a starter but he could be a very good squad option. Our squad is down to the bare bones, having someone like him in the squad would do no harm.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Not sure I see him being as good at a higher level really.
I have no idea how scouts decide if a player can take that next step up from Championship to Premier. Jarrod Bowen looked good last season and I was surprised that no Premier teams were in for him.
The success you've had with James might encourage the club to look closer at Bowen.

Robbie Boy

Fair enough - he might not be good enough to be a starter but he could be a very good squad option. Our squad is down to the bare bones, having someone like him in the squad would do no harm.
I’ve seen a-bit of Bowen and he strikes me as the kind that may be not even be good enough for PL level, let alone good enough for what we need.

When you look at Maupay, McBurnie and Adams who all moved to PL teams this summer after scoring loads in the Championship, only really Maupay looks a good signing so far. The gulf in class between the two leagues is huge. A gamble here or there is fine but it shouldn’t become a huge part of our transfer strategy, going forward.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
If we are going for Sancho, then this probably wouldn't be a good signing, however good or not he may be. James appears to be settling in as a RW, or right sided midfielder, so can't see Bowen coming to OT.

Lee565

Isnt this guy available for free in the summer? Even signing during the January window for under 10 million, it's a win win really, either he becomes a bargain buy or you send him out on loan and easily recoup the money for a young English player who has potential and impressive championship stats behind him.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Isnt this guy available for free in the summer? Even signing during the January window for under 10 million, it's a win win really, either he becomes a bargain buy or you send him out on loan and easily recoup the money for a young English player who has potential and impressive championship stats behind him.
Good point, but I would imagine that there would be many clubs interested in him if his contract runs out next year, and he may not want to come to OT if he sees James, and possibly Sancho in his path, but stranger things have happened with Woodward in charge.

Ludens the Red

I’ve seen a-bit of Bowen and he strikes me as the kind that may be not even be good enough for PL level, let alone good enough for what we need.

When you look at Maupay, McBurnie and Adams who all moved to PL teams this summer after scoring loads in the Championship, only really Maupay looks a good signing so far. The gulf in class between the two leagues is huge. A gamble here or there is fine but it shouldn’t become a huge part of our transfer strategy, going forward.
Yup, it’s risky signing players from the championship on the back of goal stats. Bowen is a great finisher and he’s unique in the fact he’s essentially a wide poacher but not seen anything in his overall play to think we should be signing him. A definite no no.

M16Red

@JinnerJamie has he been any good this season?

What about this lad: did some damage against you this season?

Not a winger, but a 10. English and under 23...

dev1l

Latest Epl top scorer list
LAST UPDATED – 9:00am Monday 28th October 2019

1. Jamie Vardy (Leicester) 9 goals, 1 assist
  2. Sergio Aguero (Man City) 8 goals, 2 assists
  3. Tammy Abraham (Chelsea) 8 goals, 1 assist
  4. Raheem Sterling (Man City) 7 goals, 1 assist
  5. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal) 7 goals, 0 assists
  6. Teemu Pukki (Norwich) 6 goals, 2 assists
  7. Harry Kane (Tottenham) 6 goals, 1 assist
  8. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) 5 goals, 3 assists
  9. Marcus Rashford (Man Utd) 5 goals, 3 assists
  10. Sadio Mane (Liverpool) 5 goals, 1 assist
Pukki and Abraham played in championship last season while Vardy and Kane used to play there.
So in the top 10 top scorers, 4 are former championship players.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Latest Epl top scorer list
LAST UPDATED – 9:00am Monday 28th October 2019

1. Jamie Vardy (Leicester) 9 goals, 1 assist
  2. Sergio Aguero (Man City) 8 goals, 2 assists
  3. Tammy Abraham (Chelsea) 8 goals, 1 assist
  4. Raheem Sterling (Man City) 7 goals, 1 assist
  5. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal) 7 goals, 0 assists
  6. Teemu Pukki (Norwich) 6 goals, 2 assists
  7. Harry Kane (Tottenham) 6 goals, 1 assist
  8. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) 5 goals, 3 assists
  9. Marcus Rashford (Man Utd) 5 goals, 3 assists
  10. Sadio Mane (Liverpool) 5 goals, 1 assist
Pukki and Abraham played in championship last season while Vardy and Kane used to play there.
So in the top 10 top scorers, 4 are former championship players.
That's a huge reach!

Kane played a few games on loan. That's like claiming a League One player captained England, just because Beckham had a month at Preston.

dev1l

That's a huge reach!

Kane played a few games on loan. That's like claiming a League One player captained England, just because Beckham had a month at Preston.
But what about the other 3?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That's a huge reach!

Plus Abraham has prior PL experience and I don't think Pukki has scored in ages.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
But what about the other 3?
As has been said, Abraham is a young player playing for a top 6 club.

That doesn't make him a "Championship" player. You're insinuating that a player is Championship level just by the fact that they have played on loan there.

Pukki and Vardy maybe fit into your narrative, otherwise you're trying to compare players that have already been scouted and signed to top clubs with decent contracts with potential players that haven't. It's a big difference.

Classical Mechanic

Eze is a Premier League player in my opinion, has that skill and physical qualities that makes him a handful

weird that he wasn’t selected for the 21s last time.

There’s Diangana at West Brom who is having a good season also.

The Irish Connection

maddison, zaha, McGinn. tbh I think we should be looking seriously at the best, younger championship players. it's a strong and demanding league, and we're not in a position to be guaranteed the pick of the best from the top champions league teams any more.
if you can snag players with potential for good value then why not.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Exe is the one we should be focused on, the guy is absolutely class.
Skills, strength, pace, power, decision making, he's got it all.
He's too good for the championship.
Bowen just doesn't seem good enough to me to make the next step.
Eze? Yes please. Bowen? No thanks

cjj

Supports
Spurs
maddison, zaha, McGinn. tbh I think we should be looking seriously at the best, younger championship players. it's a strong and demanding league, and we're not in a position to be guaranteed the pick of the best from the top champions league teams any more.
if you can snag players with potential for good value then why not.
You've already done the Zaha thing when he was younger.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
That's a huge reach!

To be fair, when Kane played for us at Leicester, he got starts out wide and once in centre midfield. I’d never have dreamed, having watched him then, that he’d become the prolific striker he is.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
To be fair, when Kane played for us at Leicester, he got starts out wide and once in centre midfield. I’d never have dreamed, having watched him then, that he’d become the prolific striker he is.
I think the difference with Kane is that he seemed to have been continually told he wasn't good enough. His reaction was to work harder.

I think a lot of 'naturally' talented players can almost peak at a young age, so you judge then based on their loans. Kane seems to have never stopped wanting to get better, so there's a good chance he wasn't that player then but worked and worked and worked on it.

He's certainly a freak in terms of his personality - I've not seen or heard of him being drunk, in a nightclub, with a sports car, in basically anything other than impeccable and dedicated behaviour. That's done wonders for him imo - he's either a naturally (or family-grown) decent lad, or he's clocked on that a career is short and gets hindered by those things.

Robbie Boy

Eze is a Premier League player in my opinion, has that skill and physical qualities that makes him a handful

weird that he wasn’t selected for the 21s last time.

There’s Diangana at West Brom who is having a good season also.
Yup, Eze looks a real talent.

I actually thought Diangana looked decent enough during some his appearances for West Ham.

Crashoutcassius

not sure what cost would be but should be small given contract situation? Would be a nice addition since he prefers right wing in january. Might get him for 10 or 15m, get us through the rest of the season

JinnerJamie

Small ginger

I’ve given up my season ticket and haven’t been to any games this season... Anything outside of the KCOM I'm neither here nor there in regards to the Championship.

From what I've heard Bowen's on course for his best ever goal scoring season, his overall game has improved but I'm still not convinced he's got what it takes to be a top level player... but then again I didn't think Andy Robertson was going to be anything more than a squad player for Liverpool.

I'd take Lingard over Bowen but only by a smidge :wenger:

He has a one year extension clause which we'll trigger before January and we are going to offer him a new 3 year deal not before long. A Dan James level punt why not, Hull will need to cash in and I don't see him being here after summer 2020.

settembrini

If Bowen doesn't sign a new contract by January then he would be an obviously good signing for us. Very good player in a position we are weak, easily obtainable and fits the profile that Solskjaer likes.