Jason Bateman

Utdstar01

Is it me or does it seem like he plays the same sort of character in every film/series he's in? The only film l've seen him step out of his comfort zone completely is in 'Dodgeball' as the co-commentator which admittedly I thought he was pretty hilarious; almost like a funny and likeable Michael Owen.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
To be fair Jason Bateman has tried stepping out of his comfort zone.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think he is excellent in Ozark, played out of character for him and he even directed a lot of that show. I haven't seen Outsiders yet and apparently he is quite good in that one as well. Weird timing as he is beginning to get more acclaimed and diverse roles now.

Utdstar01

I think he is excellent in Ozark, played out of character for him and he even directed a lot of that show. I haven't seen Outsiders yet and apparently he is quite good in that one as well. Weird timing as he is beginning to get more acclaimed and diverse roles now.
I've just started watching Ozark and he seems pretty decent in it so far. What I'm saying is he's seemed to play very similar roles for a long time now. I was obviously exaggerating when i said every production. I think he's a pretty good actor generally in what he's done so far.

peridigm

Is it me or does it seem like he plays the same sort of character in every film/series he's in? The only film l've seen him step out of his comfort zone completely is in 'Dodgeball' as the co-commentator which admittedly I thought he was pretty hilarious; almost like a funny and likeable Michael Owen.
Never been a fan. Then I watched Ozark.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Comedy Bateman is generally the same yes, but he does mix it up in other roles in - for example - The Gift, Bad Words, Ozark and recently his short turn in The Outsider.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is very good in those roles but so are many other actors in their favourite roles but many seem to hate them for that, the likes of Will Smith, The Rock, Adam Sandler, Wahlberg, etc. Actually some of these had variety of good roles unlike Bateman and yet are hated by good amount of people. I like most of them tbf, and I enjoy most of Bateman movies but he is not greatest actor you'll see considering lack of different roles.

Last edited:

baskinginthesun

He is very good in those roles but so are many other actors in their favourite roles but many seem to hate them for that, the likes of Will Smith, The Rock, Adam Sandler, Wahlberg, etc. Actually some of these had variety of good roles unlike Bateman and yet are hated by good amount of people. I like most of them tbf, and I enjoy most of Bateman movies but he is not greatest actor you'll see considering lack of different roles.
Good point. You could add Will Ferrell and Danny McBride. However, most of the stuff from these actors are very watchable. Even Ferrell with his manchild roles never quite get old.

Bateman has been good. The Ozark role is a bit different as it's more of a drama thriller than a comedy which he seems to excel at.

acnumber9

Bateman himself has admitted a lot of his roles merge into one as that’s what pays his bills.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
He never seems to age that fella.
He was ok in Juno and Horrible Bosses. I’m sure he’s been in other stuff I’ve watched, just none of it comes to mind now.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
He never seems to age that fella.
He was ok in Juno and Horrible Bosses. I’m sure he’s been in other stuff I’ve watched, just none of it comes to mind now.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I was going to say that he played a slightly different version of the same character he always plays in Hot Tub Time Machine but then I remembered that was John Cusack.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's called being typecast. It's not necerssarily the fault of the actor. It's a bit like when you watch most of Brad Pitt's film you're watching Brad Pitt with a different name. It's just "oh look, that's Brad Pitt" and that's what people are paying to see.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It's called being typecast. It's not necerssarily the fault of the actor. It's a bit like when you watch most of Brad Pitt's film you're watching Brad Pitt with a different name. It's just "oh look, that's Brad Pitt" and that's what people are paying to see.
Aye. Seem to be more typecast actors than those who can truly transform themselves like the Depps, DiCaprios, Day-Lewises, Redmaynes and Cumberbatches of the world.

Look at Keanu Reeves, love the guy and he s become such a typical typecast it's almost a running joke but he s just so awesome at that relatively limited thing that he does. Though I do gotta say I love comedic Keanu the few times he does it - probably because it feels so awkward compared to his usual roles. Liam Neeson is another guy like that.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Aye. Seem to be more typecast actors than those who can truly transform themselves like the Depps, DiCaprios, Day-Lewises, Redmaynes and Cumberbatches of the world.

Look at Keanu Reeves, love the guy and he s become such a typical typecast it's almost a running joke but he s just so awesome at that relatively limited thing that he does. Though I do gotta say I love comedic Keanu the few times he does it - probably because it feels so awkward compared to his usual roles. Liam Neeson is another guy like that.
It's fairly obvious with comedy actors. Jim Carrey held up the scene for a bit. For a while Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson were seemingly everywhere and they're always the same. Michael Cera is typecast, Rogen is but he does more than just act. Bradley Cooper pre-Hangover was always the cocky asshole. He's got that fratboy face and charm.

I like what Neeson has managed to do with his career. He went from never really having starred in an all out action movie to basically reviving the genre.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Certainly typecasted.

Michael Cera is another.

Don't think you can put Smith in that list. Don't nothing memorable recently, but has done enough in his career to set him a league apart from that list.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He's fantastic in Ozark but honestly I've watched all three Horrible Bosses films recently and he's a very similar character there with the other two being the comic relief angle. He only really hams it up when Jennifer Aniston's character is being used against him. He's excellent in the early series of Arrested Development too but again it's the same character. Paul the same, similar character.

I think he's very good at what he does. It's just as you say, the one thing that he does.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Hes great in the Outsider, plus I think he directed it too?

lsd

The Oracle
He's a good actor, prick in real life apparently but he is always worth watching

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He definitely does not.

His speaking cadence is very unique. Similar to someone like Christopher Walken or Jeff Goldblum. That makes him instantly recognisable.

He’s got great range though. Comedic and dramatic.

sugar_kane

I think he’s awful in Ozark to be honest, completely half arsing it.

the story is okay and the rest of the cast are decent but he drags them all down by being as wooden as humanly possible.

lsd

The Oracle
Where you see this?

There are a lot of articles about him and his interaction with fans or lack of it but i mainly feel that way since i read the famous Arrested Development cast interview in the New York Times where he totally belittled Jessica Walter for bringing up Jeffrey Tambor's behaviour towards her and others on set .

Yes he apologised but only after the interview was printed

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think he’s awful in Ozark to be honest, completely half arsing it.

the story is okay and the rest of the cast are decent but he drags them all down by being as wooden as humanly possible.
Haven't seen the third season yet, but that is correct for season two. His role actually didn't have any dialogue at all, he was just starring at things for majority of the season.

Edit: yeah, thought the same before too:

I like this show, I am few episodes left in this season, but there are some really annoying things:
- Marty is such a pointless character in this season, what exactly did he do in the entire season except sitting in his office doing his accounting and starring at things, just shrugging his shoulders during conversations with mob or FBI? It's like Jason Bateman died so they are using some CGI stuff and had to chang the writing that doesn't include his character doing any normal things like talking, moving and stuff. He has became some side charcter in these 6 episodes I've seen so far in season 2.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think he’s great. But agree he does always seem to play the level headed non plussed guy a lot. He’s excellent in Ozark and obviously AD.

Game Night is a good film he’s in as well. Didn’t think I’d like it as much as I did.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Bateman himself has admitted a lot of his roles merge into one as that’s what pays his bills.
Yes. I think people like him and Matthew Mcconohey? (feck knows how to spell his name), have taken the money roles early on and built themselves a solid financial foundation and can now afford to take diverse roles regardless of whether these films/shows are commercial or not. Basically the opposite of Robert De Niro and Nic Cage :lol:

poleglass red

To me he's always the actor from 80's film Teen wolf. He does seem to play the same sensible type character in comedies and in serious roles such as Ozark, but I think in Ozark he's perfect for that role.

SirAF

Ageist
I think he’s great. But agree he does always seem to play the level headed non plussed guy a lot. He’s excellent in Ozark and obviously AD.

Game Night is a good film he’s in as well. Didn’t think I’d like it as much as I did.
That was hilarious. A pleasant surprise!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I like Bateman, even if he does play the same character in most of his roles - it is usually a consistent "fun" movie/role - but I usually enjoy it for what it is.

He's also showed a decent range of ability - Ozark and AD springs to mind.