Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez | LA Galaxy Player

hmchan

Are you high? Chicharito is normally the definition of clinical finishing.
He's just good at sniffing out chances and being at the right place at the right time. He has no finishing technique other than his sidefoot and I doubt he's ever scored a goal outside the box till now.

spiriticon

Hahaha. I don't mind players trying a panenka for a pen, but that's the one of the worst executions I've seen. No height, off centre... ugh.

Lyng

He's just good at sniffing out chances and being at the right place at the right time. He has no finishing technique other than his sidefoot and I doubt he's ever scored a goal outside the box till now.
Who cares about outside the box? His finishing was excellent. Always at the right place and regardless of how weird the ball came to him he would put it in the net. You dont make that many goals for United if your finishing technique is bad.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
We desperately need a poacher like chicharito now.

loved Watching him for us.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Really liked Chicharito during his time at Old Trafford and would wish him well too.

He's much older now, and has suffered a couple of big injuries so I'm not sure how much more has left to give. It would be lovely if he could be effective still at Chivas, even as some sort of home-town hero who was good for morale, popping up with the occasional goal from the bench.

Eriku

Just another typical example on his poor finishing technique.
I know this post is old but :lol:

You implying he scuffed it? You can say he’s got poor finishing technique, but to cite this as an example is idiotic :lol:

prateik

any excuse to post this

he was such a good bench option for us.. just found ways to score.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Incredible that he scored more goals for us than RvP, who many would consider better than him

Edit: Also scored more for Real Madrid
Tbf just one 1 more for us than RvP:

Transfermarkt stats:
Chicharito: 157 games 59 goals for 0.376 xG/game
RvP: 105 games 58 goals with 0.552 xG/game

iHicksy

Incredible that he scored more goals for us than RvP, who many would consider better than him

Edit: Also scored more for Real Madrid
There's so much wrong with this post I don't know where to start.

For a start, there's not a single human being on the planet who would consider chicarito a better striker than RvP. RvP was probably the best finisher i've ever seen at United, and that includes Ronaldo, Ruud, Hughes, Saha, Rooney etc. He was absolutely world class. No one in their right mind would put them in the same conversation.

Now on to the "stats" because you know, there's actually something called context.

RvP played under Fergie for one season. That was the only year he played in a stable fully functioning squad. Moyes came in sacked the coaching staff - Changed the playing style and he still managed to score 11 goals in 18 games under Moyes, then came LvG. Who again, changed the coaching staff completely changed the playing style again and then who deemed Ruud past it, told him as much and hence sold him.

Compared to hernandez who played for Fergie for five years inside an absolutely start studded squad year after year which contained the likes of Scholes, Giggs, fletcher, Nani, Rooney, Evra, Vidic, Rio, Carrick, Park, Berba etc.

Taking all that into account and it still essentially took Hernandez an entire seasons worth of games to score 1 more goal than RvP.

Charlie Foley

For a start, there's not a single human being on the planet who would consider chicarito a better striker than RvP. RvP was probably the best finisher i've ever seen at United, and that includes Ronaldo, Ruud, Hughes, Saha, Rooney etc. He was absolutely world class. No one in their right mind would put them in the same conversation.

Now on to the "stats" because you know, there's actually something called context.

RvP played under Fergie for one season. That was the only year he played in a stable fully functioning squad. Moyes came in sacked the coaching staff - Changed the playing style and he still managed to score 11 goals in 18 games under Moyes, then came LvG. Who again, changed the coaching staff completely changed the playing style again and then who deemed Ruud past it, told him as much and hence sold him.

Compared to hernandez who played for Fergie for five years inside an absolutely start studded squad year after year which contained the likes of Scholes, Giggs, fletcher, Nani, Rooney, Evra, Vidic, Rio, Carrick, Park, Berba etc.

Taking all that into account and it still essentially took Hernandez an entire seasons worth of games to score 1 more goal than RvP.
While you’re right the comparison is not a like for like, Hernandez signed in 2010 and Fergie left in 2013. It’s kind of funny that in a post about numbers you can’t count to 3 :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.

Transfermarkt stats:

Van Persie was obviously better but things get much closer when you break it down by minutes.

Chicharito was a sub much more often and more goals are scored late on in games. It should help being a sub when it comes to that stat, but precisely by how much who knows? Some players might actually struggle to find rhythm when coming off the bench but I think for most it's going to be relatively easier.

Chicharito 59 goals in 8308 minutes. 1 goal every 140.8 minutes.
RvP 58 goals in 7979 minutes. 1 goal every 137.6 minutes.

If we went league games only, Chicharito actually has the better minutes per goal record.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Look you're obviously right but I find it slightly surprising you took my post seriously. It was meant as a piss take :)

Smores

I always thought he was vastly underrated and took too much stick from the caf. What we'd do to have a striker of his talents playing for us right now.

TsuWave

Abscence does make the heart grow fonder because - come on man.

Chicha was a loveable find, and by all means he seems like a sound guy with genuine appreciation for United, but guy was incredibly limited as a player. Yes, he scored but so did Lukaku and I don’t see anyone pinning for him

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He played in an era at United where standards were infinitely higher. We'd kill for Chicharito in his prime today, but when he played for United we were used to seeing Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Persie, Tevez, and Berbatov up front. All in their prime. It's no wonder many didn't rate him as highly as maybe they should have. Including myself. He was a poacher who didn't bring much else to the game.

But since then, what have our striking options been? Anthony fecking Martial, an inconsistent Rashford, burned out Sanchez, a crocked Falcao, briefly Greenwood, even more briefly Ibra, a raw Hojlund, troublemaking geriatric Ronaldo 2.0, Ighalo, Memphis Bodybuilder Depay, the world's worst first touch in Lukaku, and perma-crocked Edison Cavani. No wonder he looks good in retrospect.

If our standards were as high now, as they were then, he'd still be viewed as what he was....a very useful squad player, who had a knack for scoring goals, especially as an impact sub, but was quite limited in his all round game. Nevertheless, a great signing for what we paid for him, and led the line in a team that went all the way to the CL final. Deserves respect, but there's no need to revise history. He was a good but limited player.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Van Persie was obviously better but things get much closer when you break it down by minutes.

Chicharito was a sub much more often and more goals are scored late on in games. It should help being a sub when it comes to that stat, but precisely by how much who knows? Some players might actually struggle to find rhythm when coming off the bench but I think for most it's going to be relatively easier.

Chicharito 59 goals in 8308 minutes. 1 goal every 140.8 minutes.
RvP 58 goals in 7979 minutes. 1 goal every 137.6 minutes.

If we went league games only, Chicharito actually has the better minutes per goal record.
Aye I saw that too but the problem you run into then is minimizing everything else the player is good for. By all accounts RvP was more able to run the entire 90 and not just show great link up play but also track back a lot to help in defense. It felt like he had quite a few moments just keeping the ball off the line for instance. And - as @iHicksy pointed out - he really only had one season with a solid SAF coached team behind him.

All that is not not to minimize Chicharito s contributions at all. I loved the guy and it does feel like we got rid of him too soon, especially in hindsight.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I always thought he was vastly underrated and took too much stick from the caf. What we'd do to have a striker of his talents playing for us right now.
I always felt the same when reading the forum back then, he was good at scoring goals as long as he was getting service and he was on fire for quite a few seasons. I also felt he was overlooked in Real Madrid and should had played a lot more but still managed to score very important goals. Haven't seen much of him but he was very good at positioning himself and predicting where the ball was going to be and perhaps his major 'flaw' was being rather small and lightweight to be played as a the sole striker.

Redfrog

Transfermarkt stats:
Goal per game is good but per minute would be better since he scored often from the bench.

iHicksy

While you’re right the comparison is not a like for like, Hernandez signed in 2010 and Fergie left in 2013. It’s kind of funny that in a post about numbers you can’t count to 3 :lol:
Sorry i'm dyslexic and meant played for united for five years. I can count to 2 or 5, but not 3.

iHicksy

Look you're obviously right but I find it slightly surprising you took my post seriously. It was meant as a piss take :)
You never know on this forum. Plus i was too infused with slathering word rage about RvP to care.