Javier Hernandez | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Ok, ok, stop it, only the first post was funny, now it's annoying.

Mexico play their quarterfinal on Saturday, with the third team from group B or C (will be decided tommorow).

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I bet he was involved in all four goals, wasn't he? Wasn't he?!

He is beautiful. I love him.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
:lol: It's like everyone in Mexico has three teams - the national side, their own side and Manchester United.

Bet other sides hate us having Hernandez, considering it's impossible not to like him, or atleast admire the way he plays the game and the spirit he plays it with.

Commadus

Hernandez progress has been exceptional so far and I suspect many feel he needs to continue his rapid progress. I believe that next year contrary to many peoples opinions that he will be found out - he will add more strings to his bow - I don't know how many goals he will score but he will become more of a threat as he becomes more than just a goal poacher.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
:lol: It's like everyone in Mexico has three teams - the national side, their own side and Manchester United.

Bet other sides hate us having Hernandez, considering it's impossible not to like him, or atleast admire the way he plays the game and the spirit he plays it with.
He looks like some sort of overgrown 4 year old on his birthday every time he scores. It's amazing.

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
Hernandez progress has been exceptional so far and I suspect many feel he needs to continue his rapid progress. I believe that next year contrary to many peoples opinions that he will be found out - he will add more strings to his bow - I don't know how many goals he will score but he will become more of a threat as he becomes more than just a goal poacher.
I agree. IMO, a player who relies on quick movement behind the defenders and that instinct of being in the right place can't be 'found out' in the same sense that a tricky winger can be. Maybe his goal tally will decrease due to defending teams dropping deeper to protect themselves against balls over the top, but that will leave space between the defence and midfield to exploit. People who see this will not perceive it as Hernandez being found out, but rather that his movement creates space for his team mates.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
not all of his goals were due to him being fast over the top

Look at his collection of goals, headers, flicks, shots. They are all about his quality at finding space and his clever movement. Actually very few of them were from him using his pace to run onto a ball over the top

Doesn't matter how deep teams defend, he will always find space, as long as the others find him then he will get goals

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Look at his collection of goals, headers, flicks, shots. They are all about his quality at finding space and his clever movement. Actually very few of them were from him using his pace to run onto a ball over the top

Doesn't matter how deep teams defend, he will always find space, as long as the others find him then he will get goals
This.

I really don't understand this idea about him being "found out" as if the top teams don't all study videos of the opposition in advance of playing them. When Chico scored against Spain do people think that they'd somehow forgotten to watch him scoring against Argentina, France and Holland?

Or when he scored against Chelsea for the 3rd time this season in the Premier League game do people think that they hadn't studied his movement from him scoring against them in Champions League and the Community Shield?

World class strikers, and thats what he is (if he's not name me all the strikers in the world with better records than him domestically and internationally?), don't get "found out". Did Ruud, Ole, Yorkie, Coley, Cantona etc get "found out"? Chico's likely to score more goals next year not less...

...though he did miss two sitters in the Costa Rica game last night. :p

Donkey's Ears

This.

I really don't understand this idea about him being "found out" as if the top teams don't all study videos of the opposition in advance of playing them. When Chico scored against Spain do people think that they'd somehow forgotten to watch him scoring against Argentina, France and Holland?

Or when he scored against Chelsea for the 3rd time this season in the Premier League game do people think that they hadn't studied his movement from him scoring against them in Champions League and the Community Shield?

World class strikers, and thats what he is (if he's not name me all the strikers in the world with better records than him domestically and internationally?), don't get "found out". Did Ruud, Ole, Yorkie, Coley, Cantona etc get "found out"? Chico's likely to score more goals next year not less...

...though he did miss two sitters in the Costa Rica game last night. :p
Not that I'm disagreeing but Cole and Yorke certainly got found out to some extent.

The only caveat to playing Chico is that he isn't the best on the ball outside the box and so I can see us having to be more technical and refined in midfield to offset that weakness.

Not that I'm disagreeing but Cole and Yorke certainly got found out to some extent.

The only caveat to playing Chico is that he isn't the best on the ball outside the box and so I can see us having to be more technical and refined in midfield to offset that weakness.
Cole was still banging them in at Fulham at 35 mate and Yorke he didn't get found out he found glamour models... :rolleyes:

Chico's all round game is better than he's given credit for and he is improving again last night in the Mexico game he showed a deft touch in the build up to the first Guardado goal and as I've said before he's been showing an increased amount of composure on the ball. That comes with confidence, the more assured he becomes playing with United as playing with Mexico the more rounded a player I think we'll see.

He'll become a 14gend. ;)

Football premier-league: Exclusive - Ferdinand: 'Hernandez will go down in Man United history' | Radio talkSPORT

MrK

I agree. IMO, a player who relies on quick movement behind the defenders and that instinct of being in the right place can't be 'found out' in the same sense that a tricky winger can be. Maybe his goal tally will decrease due to defending teams dropping deeper to protect themselves against balls over the top, but that will leave space between the defence and midfield to exploit. People who see this will not perceive it as Hernandez being found out, but rather that his movement creates space for his team mates.
Or alternatively they'll just throw a hissy fit and moan that we need a new striker :p

I do think Hernandez is likely to find it a little tougher next season, although that won't stop him from scoring goals. No matter how well a team plans how to deal with him, his pace, movement and finishing ability means that given the right situation there's not a whole lot a defender can do differently.

I expect teams to try and use their offside trap to nullify him like Barcelona did - in some cases this will probably work, but in some others they'll probably get it wrong and leave him with some golden chances. I also expect him to be subject to a fair share of rough tackles next season, as teams try to soften his resolve. He'll be a far greater focus of attention next season, but I back him to be resilient in the face of any new challenges.

At some point he will hit a drought though, as all strikers do, and that's the time we need to repay his efforts with our support. Despite my opening line in this post I do think he'll get that.

On a slightly different note, does anyone else think he looks like a man when playing for Mexico, but still looks like a boy when playing for United?

johnmufc

For some reason I like his Mexican teammate, Guardado. He does not have great pace or flair, but he is an intelligent winger with a good delivery. His club, Deportivo, have been relegated, so he can be a good value signing for some team.
His first goal against Costa Rica was remarkable.

MUFC07

It's quite annoying, as you can imagine.

MrK

His first goal against Costa Rica was remarkable.
Yeah, I like Guardado too. I think he'd probably be playing at a higher level now if it wasn't for past injury problems. There are some rumours that he might be moving to Zaragoza to join up with Javi Aguirre who's manager there now, although considering how Aguirre used him in the world cup I don't think I'd be too quick to get back working with him!

Or alternatively they'll just throw a hissy fit and moan that we need a new striker :p

I do think Hernandez is likely to find it a little tougher next season, although that won't stop him from scoring goals. No matter how well a team plans how to deal with him, his pace, movement and finishing ability means that given the right situation there's not a whole lot a defender can do differently.

I expect teams to try and use their offside trap to nullify him like Barcelona did - in some cases this will probably work, but in some others they'll probably get it wrong and leave him with some golden chances. I also expect him to be subject to a fair share of rough tackles next season, as teams try to soften his resolve. He'll be a far greater focus of attention next season, but I back him to be resilient in the face of any new challenges.

At some point he will hit a drought though, as all strikers do, and that's the time we need to repay his efforts with our support. Despite my opening line in this post I do think he'll get that.

On a slightly different note, does anyone else think he looks like a man when playing for Mexico, but still looks like a boy when playing for United?
Definately more at home playing for Mexico. Much bigger presence. For example Chico's touch doesn't tend to fail him as much playing for El Tri as it does playing for United, which is why I am confident in future improvement from him. The rough edges we've seen in his game this season I attribute as much to unfamiliarity and pressure more than him lacking in ability. He's visibly a more confident player for his country but it was a massive step coming from the Mexican league to the Premier League so thats to be expected, nai? Now he's established himself I expect him to go from strength to strength.

I'm making a prediction now:30 goals in all competitions next year, at least.

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import

Movemend behind defenders is not just about long balls over the top. I said that's what defending teams may adjust to try to protect themselves from him (or one aspect of his game, more like), but movement in behind defenders and instinct of being in the right place is just as much about sneaking up on the back post, like against Chelsea, Marseille and Everton behind the defender, or do a darting run ahead of his defender (the flick against Stoke), which was what I meant with the first thing I said.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Having had no idea that Mexico qualify for the Copa America does that mean Hernandez is going to go from playing in this Gold Cup straight to the Copa America?

He's going to be fecked if that's the case, as it is I wasn't expecting him to start the season but that just takes the piss!

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Having had no idea that Mexico qualify for the Copa America does that mean Hernandez is going to go from playing in this Gold Cup straight to the Copa America?

He's going to be fecked if that's the case, as it is I wasn't expecting him to start the season but that just takes the piss!
I'm not sure if it's confirmed but I read that he would not be playing in the Copa America.

Redrage

The lad is surreal, he's always there at the right time. What a talent we've unearthed... Wow :devil:

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
Nice and cheeky.

So 6 in 4 in Gold Cup so far and México through to the Semis :)

Aporkalypse

It doesn't matter how the ball comes to him he always seems to find the net with it. Ridiculous talent.

Commadus

He did well for the scraps he got. The meixo midfielers want to dribble or shoot too much - was a good game to watch but guardao fecking shot or hit his crosses long.

Chicha was making excellent runs all match he must have some patience playing with the mexican midfielders.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
His interview with L'Equipe:

Q. Javier Hernandez, you have surprised many people for your first season in Europe. Did you think you would acclimatise so quickly at such a a big team like Manchester United?

A. No, not really. Early in the season, I thought I would have limited playing time, or very limited. At best, I thought my season would involve me being a joker who come off the bench late in the game trying to unlock a complicated situation. Basically, the goal of the season was essentially to adapt to the Premier League, especially physically. But gradually I got playing time, and I started to feel confident, scoring a few goals early in the season. Everything went so fast. I could not have hoped for such a good campaign. I had a dream season.

Q. Talk about taking confidence from the start of the season. When exactly did this come?

A. There was a game that really made me realize that I could have an interesting season. It was the match against Stoke City in which I scored twice. Throughout the match I felt perfectly at ease in the game, I felt like I had been playing for Manchester United for ten years! (Laughs). Thanks to my teammates, I could express myself freely on the ground. I think it was the most important game of my season. I will remember it all my life.

Q. What is your assessment of the season?

A. As a group, I am very happy to have won the championship of England. This is a wonderful thing, especially after a fierce title race. Chelsea, Arsenal or even Manchester City battled to the end, but we never doubted our strength. Manchester United has such soul and such generosity. Success is written into the DNA of this club, I’m in the best club in the world. Everything is done to succeed and win titles. Only defeat in the final of the Champions League was a big disappointment. Personally, I am extremely happy with my season, but I do not rest on my laurels. I want to do even better next season. I want to help this club make history.

Q. You just scored the goal that took Mexico to the semifinals of the Gold Cup. How important is this competition for Mexico?

A. This is a very important competition, even essential. The Mexican people expect no other result than victory. Any other result would be a bitter failure. This kind of event allows a group to grow, to create a team. Winning this competition would also help me realize a childhood dream: to win a trophy in the jersey of my country.”

His interview with L'Equipe:
Thanks for that mate. Very good reading. Chicho's the real deal, eh? I remember when Henry scored a backheel goal some years back and the press pack went wild over it. Chico's got two this year what say you now "experts"? So amusing to think back to the underwhelming response that greeted Chico's signing and the continued flat press that his goals were getting until spring.

Skywarden

Stoke away, the true benchmark. We've been saying it all along. :D

Some people are mentioning the second season syndrome, but as long as there's a midfield to supply him with balls, I can't see him stop scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.