Javier Hernandez | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasaStreets

That cannot be right. There's no way David Bentley could be faster than Aaron Lennon.
It could be wrong but it also demonstrates how poor a stat maximum speed is.

What good is speed if the player doesn't do anything productive with the ball?
That's from a couple of years ago, and if I remember correctly Nike had videos of them doing the course. Nonetheless, I cited it not for its accuracy today but more to give the 19.97 mph figure some context.
Of course it's not right, it's not even close. For starters, it lists that a number of those players have higher speeds on the ball than off the ball... don't bother with either that or the FIFA "fastest speeds." It's all a load of shit
Again, read my last post

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've got a good feeling about him. Something tells me this will be one of the signings of the season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Manchester United new boy Javier Hernandez will have 'Chicharito' on his shirt for the new season.

And he's the number 14...after Smith and HOward :nervous:
Nooooooooooooooooo!

Worst nickname ever. His name is Hernandez.

MrK

Think he had Chicharito on his shirt for Chivas too, but it was J. Hernandez at the world cup. I guess it's generally left up to the individual player to decide - we have Rafael and Fabio rather than R. Da Silva and F. Da Silva, but we have J. Evans and C. Evans rather than Johnny and Corry. There are a lot of players in Mexico who seem to be quite commonly referred to by their nicknames, but only some of them use it for their shirts. Personally I'd rather have Hernandez on his shirt, but it's not me who'll be wearing it! If Chicharito is the name he wants to be known by, then fair play to him!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Speedy Hernandez ready to race in Red

FIFA.com - Speedy Hernandez ready to race in red

A thirty-something Mexican was poignantly aware how badly one preteen wanted to become a professional footballer. The worldly señor had repeatedly listened to the budding forward's ambitions; the rare, incurable desire in the latter's maturing voice auto-repeated in the mind of his elder when they were apart.

The pair had spent innumerable hours kicking a ball around on an exclusive plot of land in Jalisco. The adult had scrutinized the youngster’s game. He had, begrudgingly, reached a conclusion: that Javier Hernandez, who had joined national giants Guadalajara at the age of nine, would not make the grade.

The fact that verdict came from somebody whose international career had spanned over a decade suggested the aspirant faced an uphill struggle to realise his goal; the fact that it came from the youngster’s father, who would naturally be biased, indicated that it was a pipe dream.

Dad nevertheless kept his premonition silent. Son duly pursued his dream. By the age of 20, however, Javier Hernandez Jr had come to agree with Javier Hernandez Sr’s foretaste. He had made just 16 first-team appearances for Chivas in the previous two campaigns, failing to score a single goal in the process. He was seemingly imprisoned in the club’s reserves. The thought of continuing down the same path was becoming more and more dispiriting; the option of returning to his studies was escalating in appeal.

He doubted whether he was capable of playing in the first division. He was considering quitting, but we persuaded him to stick at it.
Javier Hernandez Sr on his son and namesake when he was 20
By now, though, his father and grandfather, another former Mexico international Tomas Balcazar, had become convinced that Hernandez had the makings of top-class player. “He doubted whether he was capable of playing in the first division,” recalled Hernandez Sr. “He was considering quitting, but we persuaded him to stick at it.”

That persistence has, just two years down the road, been emphatically vindicated. Hernandez has since finished as the joint-top scorer in the Bicentenario 2010, scored nine goals in 16 internationals, excelled at the FIFA World Cup™, and become the first Mexican to join Manchester United.

The Red Devils intuitively concluded a deal for El Chicharito (The Little Pea) in April – had they waited until after South Africa 2010, the transfer fee would have surely dwarfed the £7m they reportedly paid to prise him from Guadalajara, given that he*was a revelation of the tournament.

Hernandez came on as a 73rd-minute substitute in Mexico’s curtain-raiser, helping his side, who were trailing, earn a 1-1 draw. Then, after rising from the bench with the deadlock intact against France, he played a one-two with Rafael Marquez - cutely springing the offside trap in the process - rounded goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, and slotted home the opener en route to a 2-0 victory.

The No14 also impressed after coming on just after the hour mark in a 1-0 loss to Uruguay, before he scored El Tri’s goal in a 3-1 defeat by Argentina, turning his marker with a sublime flick on the edge of the area, holding off another defender, and thumping the ball into the top corner from the left side of the penalty area.

“He did very well,” said United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. “I was very pleased with his performance. I think we’re going to have a positive effect from Javier.”

Hernandez has certainly made a good impression since joining up with his new team-mates on their pre-season tour of North America; one which will conclude with a friendly against his old club in Jalisco on 31 July. "He looks really sharp, really hungry,” said midfielder Darren Fletcher. “He scored a couple of great goals at the World Cup and I think he'll be a good addition.”

Hernandez is going to be a wild card for us. I think he’ll cause lots of problems for defenders and score a few goals. Manchester United defender John O'Shea Defender John O’Shea added: “Hernandez is going to be a wild card for us. He’s looked very sharp so far, and I think he’ll cause lots of problems for defenders and score a few goals.”

Not that the 22-year-old’s game is exclusive to finishing*- he possesses the ability to beat a man, cerebral movement, a high-jumper’s leap and sprinter’s pace. The latter quality, in a league in which the likes of Les Ferdinand, Michael Owen during his time at Liverpool, Thierry Henry and Nicolas Anelka have used speed to devastate defences, could be especially refreshing to United supporters.

For while they have witnessed some brilliant players at their spearhead during Ferguson’s enduring reign, they have not had one regular first-team striker*with exceptional pace: Peter Davenport, Brian McClair, Mark Hughes, Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes (he began his career up front), Andy Cole, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Teddy Sheringham, Dwight Yorke, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Dimitar Berbatov and*today’s decelerated model of Owen are all unworthy of that bracket, while Louis Saha never once started half of the Red Devils’ games during a Premier League season and Cristiano Ronaldo was invariably deployed on the wing.

El Chicharito is, however, an authentic version of the Warner Brothers cartoon character Speedy Gonzalez, 'the fastest mouse in all of Mexico'. The 32.15 km/h at which he was clocked during South Africa 2010 – faster than any other player at the tournament - pays testament to that. It is the speed at which Javier Hernandez has hurtled from the cusp of premature retirement to prestigious stages such as the FIFA World Cup and the Theatre of Dreams. Could it be the ingredient that helps Manchester United win the race for the 2010/11 Premier League title?

el eric

I got the same email as Raoul got above. From that it would seem he's already with the team in America. I though he wasnt going there for a few weeks yet.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
I'm sure MUTV said (two days ago) he was joining next Wednesday the 29th. Maybe the kid just can't wait (I know the feeling).

VoetbalWizard

Fergie reckons that Hernandez would have cost twice or thrice the money we paid the Mexican club, if we got him after the WC.
probably. it isn't a guaruntee that he's the dogs bollocks though.

but his performances were promising in the world cup. I'd rather give the lad games that certain other strikers we have will/are going to get.

Sw33t

Fergie reckons that Hernandez would have cost twice or thrice the money we paid the Mexican club, if we got him after the WC.
That sounds about right to me. Could easily have seen him gone for £15million I reckon.

championo

Top Stalker
Feel like this is the summer of 2003 and 2004. Who is the Djemba Djemba? Kleberson? Liam Miller, David Bellion, Tim Howard, a guy named Cristiano something..
Well, I know who David Bellion is in the present new signings and it is not Hernandez by the way.

VoetbalWizard

Feel like this is the summer of 2003 and 2004. Who is the Djemba Djemba? Kleberson? Liam Miller, David Bellion, Tim Howard, a guy named Cristiano something..
Well, I know who David Bellion is in the present new signings and it is not Hernandez by the way.
so you are saying that hernandez is the new ronaldo?

Shimo

Saf in an interview gave approx numbers (find recording of radio interview with Toronto radio station after season ended)

Diouf 3.5
Hernandez around 7
Smalling 10

As for him joining the squad he was supposed to join up a couple days before all star game. He might even make an appearance. The Chivas game is only 2 says later on 30th which am sure he'll play so 1 day with the squad won't make sense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Saf in an interview gave approx numbers (find recording of radio interview with Toronto radio station after season ended)

Diouf 3.5
Hernandez around 7
Smalling 10
Diouf I thought was 5

westlife4ever

I would prefer him having Hernandez on his shirt as well. Brazilians and Portuguese aside, we don't really do the whole nickname on a shirt thing.
Birmingham has "Chucho" on Christian Benitez's shirt, tho. EPL does allow nicknames to be printed. I actually like the idea of putting "Chicharito" on, gonna get one for myself.

fatboy

Fergie mentioned 6 mil, I think, so that should be the right figure. Still, no matter. 6 or 7 mil is a small sum in today's market for an international striker. In the end it's not going to matter how much we paid (or didn't pay) for him. If we field him, he's taking up a precious spot in the team, and we're counting on him to score and create goals.

He did ok in the World Cup, and he's still only 22. From that article, it seems like he's a late bloomer. Let's hope he continues what he's started. I'm quite excited to see him, for some reason. I've a fairly good feeling about this one.

Shimo

Diouf I thought was 5
I'll have to find the interview again but, pretty sure it was 3.5 because soon as I heard it, I was like thought we paid more like 5 or 6 for him and as surprised how little he cost.

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Manchester United | Fergie happy with Jav deal

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted that Manchester United saved millions on Mexico striker Javier Hernandez due to signing him before the World Cup.

The 22-year-old is expected to make his debut by playing some part in United's pre-season friendly against the MLS All Stars on Wednesday in Houston.
Hernandez had already signed for the club by the time he made his name for the national team, scoring against France and Argentina to demonstrate what the Old Trafford faithful can look forward to this season.

Ferguson praised the contribution of his scouts and of Hernandez's former employers Chivas de Guadalajara in their negotiations for the player, hailing their levels of professionalism for keeping the deal under wraps.

"I think our scouting people deserve 10 out of 10 for identifying him before the World Cup and I think if we had been trying to negotiate after the World Cup it would have been very difficult," said the United boss.

"I think a lot of teams would have been after him and it would probably have cost us two or three times more.

"Our relationship we have built with Chivas has been excellent, they really were very accommodating in everything, the amazing thing was that no-one in the club said a word.

Full marks

"At Manchester United we find that almost impossible, news always leaks out at our club, but Chivas kept it quiet which was a marvellous asset for us and full marks for their professionalism."

Hernandez joined up with his new team-mates on Monday to train for the first time, but Ferguson was wary about giving him a substantial amount of game time and was keen to assess his fitness levels.

"He joined us today and so we have to ascertain what he has been doing in the last few weeks physically, we would like to use him in part of the game on Wednesday - partly because I know there is a big Mexican population in Houston and it would be a very exciting attraction for them," Ferguson added.

"Secondly we want to try to integrate him into the team as quickly as possible so those are the reasons we would like to play him but we want to just have a chat with him and see what he has been doing physically - I don't think it would be wise to play him without having any real preparation for this game.
"

Shimo

BTW - I was definitely not aware of this and not sure if most are.

When we play Chivas on Friday - Hernandez will be lining up against us.

I just saw this on the United 2010 Blog. Apparently SAF said that if he scores against us, he'll fine him (as a joke obviously).

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
BTW - I was definitely not aware of this and not sure if most are.

When we play Chivas on Friday - Hernandez will be lining up against us.

I just saw this on the United 2010 Blog. Apparently SAF said that if he scores against us, he'll fine him (as a joke obviously).
Chicharito is just doing what Keano did in his testimonial vs Celtic. Playing one half for his old team and one half for his new one.

Shimo

His first training session was on Monday evening - unless he plays like 25 min for them and 10-15 min for us - can't see him playing for both sides.

Anyhoo was just caught by it - and like SAF joking that he'll fine him.

Status
Not open for further replies.