Javier Hernandez | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He won't be going anywhere.

He's an impact player and I'm sure he is aware of that and will be happy with his role here.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Down to 5th choice from 3rd last season, awful for his development.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Was gash against a US backline featuring a converted midfielder recently sold to Stoke and a current Rangers midfielder partnering in central defense. Offsides a handful of times, falling down at the slightest of contact, and terrible finishing on the two or three good chances he had.

Ferguson

In fairness though it took an amazing save from Howard to keep out a ball Chicharito managed to get on target at the end of the match.

It is preseason, so I'm hopeful he'll look better this season.

MarylandMUFan

Was gash against a US backline featuring a converted midfielder recently sold to Stoke and a current Rangers midfielder partnering in central defense. Offsides a handful of times, falling down at the slightest of contact, and terrible finishing on the two or three good chances he had.
Pretty much summed it up. Not a good night for him.

Hellboy

He'll come good, he was fantastic in his first season. He just needs to get back his confidence and he will be deadly again, he scored so many important goals for us especially the season before last, and was one of the reasons why we won the league and did well in the CL. I really hope he stays at United.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I expect him to stay for at least another 2 seasons and then depending on how he has progressed he will either re-establish himself as a starter, be happy with an impact role or move on to another club. Can't see him leaving this window and he's already said he'll fight for his place which is a good attitude to take.

I'm hopeful Kagawa can bring the best out of him. I hope he goes back to the basics, ie. just look to run in behind the striker (without being offside as much) rather than dropping deep or trying to be an all-round player. Also, I hope he doesn't bulk up much more; I'd rather he lost the extra muscle and regained his extra pace as that is his real asset and it was that that had made him so deadly in his first season with us.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I expect him to stay for at least another 2 seasons and then depending on how he has progressed he will either re-establish himself as a starter, be happy with an impact role or move on to another club. Can't see him leaving this window and he's already said he'll fight for his place which is a good attitude to take.

I'm hopeful Kagawa can bring the best out of him. I hope he goes back to the basics, ie. just look to run in behind the striker (without being offside as much) rather than dropping deep or trying to be an all-round player. Also, I hope he doesn't bulk up much more; I'd rather he lost the extra muscle and regained his extra pace as that is his real asset and it was that that had made him so deadly in his first season with us.
I was too but to get the best out of him he will need to be playing just behind Hernandez in the hole, slipping those through balls like he did at Dortmund for Lewandowski.

But how often will that happen? Out of all our strikers to play ahead of Kagawa it will be Rooney, Van Persie and Welbeck before Hernandez is picked, so cant see that being a combination we see with any real frequency.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
I feel sorry for him, but with Rooney, RvP, Welbeck and Kagawa around you can't expect a lot of minutes to be given to him

Donut

Sad to say, but I can see him becoming a Sunderland player eventually.

savais

He has been pretty poor this preseason, and last season wasn;t that great either. With him out of form, Berbatov phased out, Welbeck not the most clinical, that only left us with Rooney (and now Kagawa) to provide most of the goals. Obviously SAF decided to sort that out. IF Hernandez recovers his goal touch, great! If not, we won't be hurting too much.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Football is a ruthless world specially at the highest level, Hernandez will have to accept his place/fight even more than before/look for another club.

Vibhas

Despite all this, if we're down by a goal in the 75th minute, there's no-one I want to see coming on to join the attack, say for a midfielder, than Javier Hernandez.

He somehow turns himself into a ball magnet when in the box, and always finishes when required. I'm a little disconcerted by the fact he's been finishing poorly in preseason, but the fact is, he'll regain his confidence with a smattering of minutes in the last 20 of quite a few games, and he'll always be the go-to man when we need a goal.

Considering what level he's on at the moment; it's not bad to get 20 minutes every week for Manchester United, with a start every month or so! He'll get far more chances if he lifts his game too; it's cut throat football.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I know he's had a couple of good moments in pre-season but I don't think Bebe is our 4th choice striker.

White Text Lolz

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Football is a ruthless world specially at the highest level, Hernandez will have to accept his place/fight even more than before/look for another club.
I've always thought Hernandez could be the next Solskjaer. Great player to have on the bench. He'll have to accept that, or up his game massively if he wants to start regularly. Whatever, we'll still have great options up front and that's all any United fan should care about.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I've always thought Hernandez could be the next Solskjaer. Great player to have on the bench. He'll have to accept that, or up his game massively if he wants to start regularly. Whatever, we'll still have great options up front and that's all any United fan should care about.
Yeah. If Hernandez suddenly starts spanking the goals in, he'll get his chances.

And if not, well it probably means van Persie's playing too good for him to get a sniff. Which means one of the world's best strikers bang on form.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Eh? Is anyone supposed to give a shit?
:confused: Err yeah, I'm sure plenty of fans give a shit about our youngsters, considering it's what the club has been based on.

If you're not arsed about the undoubted effect Van Persie will have on Hernandez and Welbeck that's fine, but it doesn't mean everybody agrees with you.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I know he's had a couple of good moments in pre-season but I don't think Bebe is our 4th choice striker.

White Text Lolz
I know Kagawa played one game in central midfield but it doesn't make him a central midfielder.

White text lolz - this guy cant count to five

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I don't think the RVP signing will make as much of an impact to Hernandez chances than the Kagawa one has. His game time was going to be more limited due to the change in formation that is likely to accommodate Kagawa. I said when we signed Kagawa that this would push Hernandez to a super sub type role then and signing RVP doesn't change that.

hernandez was always going to be pushed into this role this season, unless he starts regaining his first season form and bang in the goals. For me though he is still one of the first people that I'd look at to bring off the bench if we need a goal, even with RVP in the team.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There is two flaws in your argument

a) you dont know what SAF has in mind. He may play RVP, Welbeck or Rooney on the flanks or move Kagawa in CM.

b) 2 seasons ago, Berba was scoring goals for fun. Who would have ever thought that few months after he'll end up our 4th striker? Bottom line of the story, if you score the goals SAF is going to play you. If all players do well then we will have the same scenario faced during the treble were the gap between reserves and first teamers grew very thin.

Steven Seagull

I don't think SAF has bought RVP for 20 million quid to stick him out wide..

I'm not worried about Hernandez. I don't think he has anything like the scope for development as Welbeck, who I'm a little more concerned about. I can't see Hernandez improving drastically as a player however much he plays, it's just a case of confidence with him. Saying that, Welbeck is much more versatile and it probably balances itself out, so I'm not too worried about either yet.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
There is two flaws in your argument

a) you dont know what SAF has in mind. He may play RVP, Welbeck or Rooney on the flanks or move Kagawa in CM.

b) 2 seasons ago, Berba was scoring goals for fun. Who would have ever thought that few months after he'll end up our 4th striker? Bottom line of the story, if you score the goals SAF is going to play you. If all players do well then we will have the same scenario faced during the treble were the gap between reserves and first teamers grew very thin.
a) Why would he play a striker wide when we have the best wingers in the league? Obviously it's impossible to say what he will do, but that would be bizzare, if we wanted a winger we'd buy a winger, not Van Persie and shove him wide.

b) No doubt, but I'm talking about how we are going into the season, 3rd choice to 5th. What you're talking about is just the general point that if you become better than you'll play... nothing contentious there. Evans developed well so could push Rio out the team, if Carrick started playing shit he'd be out the team. So what?

If Hernandez becomes better than Rooney and Van Persie then obviously he'll start. Point is that the situation is nothing like that currently, which is what I'm talking about.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
:confused: Err yeah, I'm sure plenty of fans give a shit about our youngsters, considering it's what the club has been based on.

If you're not arsed about the undoubted effect Van Persie will have on Hernandez and Welbeck that's fine, but it doesn't mean everybody agrees with you.
"Our Youngsters"? We are talking about a 24 year old Mexican here.

I love the lad but it's up to him to step up or he falls by the wayside.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Everybody seems to be forgetting that Van Persie and Welbeck are injured quite a lot. Kagawa also has had disruptive injury problems in the past couple of seasons.

As for Jav: I just don't think he is good enough for the very top level and I have never been a fan of out and out strikers anyway.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
a) Why would he play a striker wide when we have the best wingers in the league? Obviously it's impossible to say what he will do, but that would be bizzare, if we wanted a winger we'd buy a winger, not Van Persie and shove him wide.

b) No doubt, but I'm talking about how we are going into the season, 3rd choice to 5th. What you're talking about is just the general point that if you become better than you'll play... nothing contentious there. Evans developed well so could push Rio out the team, if Carrick started playing shit he'd be out the team. So what?

If Hernandez becomes better than Rooney and Van Persie then obviously he'll start. Point is that the situation is nothing like that currently, which is what I'm talking about.
SAF is known for bizarre decisions and both Rooney and RVP has experiences on the flanks. I dont like it myself. However moving players out of positions has occasionally served us well (ex Giggs and Scholes)

I think that SAF's sees Hernandez as an impact player and I wont be surprised if Welbeck is moved somewhere else. The boy has strength, technique and workrate but he's not a natural scorer.

1999united2008

I don't think we should write off Hernandez just yet personally, I think he will get a fair few chances this season and if he gets some confidence back I think he can still be a good goalscorer for us.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
"Our Youngsters"? We are talking about a 24 year old Mexican here.

I love the lad but it's up to him to step up or he falls by the wayside.
What's his nationality got to do with it?

He is young, he only turned 24 last month. Cleverley and Evans are around the same age, I'd class them as young players, would you not?

But anyway in terms of experience especially he's a young player with potential to improve, he's only had two seasons in a decent league.

I'm always right

I don't think we should write off Hernandez just yet personally, I think he will get a fair few chances this season and if he gets some confidence back I think he can still be a good goalscorer for us.
I'm certain he'll end up a legend here.

Signing RVP will only spur him on, competition is great.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What's his nationality got to do with it?

He is young, he only turned 24 last month. Cleverley and Evans are around the same age, I'd class them as young players, would you not?

But anyway in terms of experience especially he's a young player with potential to improve, he's only had two seasons in a decent league.
Cleverley and Evans have been with us since they were nippers. Evans made his debut 5 years ago. Of course they are our young players. I just don't put a guy we signed from the Mexican top flight at the age of 22 in the same bracket.

FWIW: It will do Welbeck and Hernandez a world of good having two World Class strikers to look up to, learn from, take the pressure off them and it will only make them work twice as hard and try to take every single last oppertunity that comes their way.

1999united2008

I'm certain he'll end up a legend here.

Signing RVP will only spur him on, competition is great.
well, I hope so yeah, I mean his first season he showed what potential he has, he struggled at times last season but I suppose as much as anything that was because Rooney was so dominant upfront, I don't expect us to use Rooney as such a figurehead up front this season now we signed Van Persie though, so that could well benefit Hernandez game.

Zen86

Amazing how so many criticise City, when really most of this forum wants us to be exactly like them.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Amazing how so many criticise City, when really most of this forum wants us to be exactly like them.
How on earth have you come to that conclusion?

edit: ah, I see, by adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 38247292043.

Status
Not open for further replies.