Javier Hernandez | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
True.Also, you can look at a Moyes precedent at Everton, he picked Anichebe over Jelavic for much of last season, even though Anichebe is an infrequent scorer. A bit like how someone like Welbeck was often given the nod over Hernandez.

This isn't true at all. Jelavic was terrific for half a season (during 11/12) after signing for Everton during the January transfer window; he scored 11 in 16. Problem was that the goals completely dried up in his second season, just 8 in 43. Despite his troubles, Moyes persisted with him for a good while, and only turned to Anichebe later in the season (who got him 8 in 32).

I don't think you can say he marginalised Jelavic in favour of Anichebe - the former had ample opportunities.

Jonno

I really do think this guy is truly world class! We need him starting more next season. I think he could be as sucessful as Van Nistelrooy should he play enough, rather than him being likened to Solskjaer. This next 6-7 years in his career could be phenomenal should he get the chance.

steeeb

He would score for fun if he was played regularly. I'd happily get rid of Rooney without another striker coming in (perhaps someone young that can rotate in with Welbeck too). More game time for Kagawa and Hernandez :D

Platato

Psst!
What is going on with mexico? Wilting under the pressure perhaps? Hernandez looked pretty decent. Kept play moving and held up the ball well. If anything, his unwillingness to create space for himself and take a shot played against him in this game. Had very little service and was left to feeding on scraps. I was slightly concerned with his lack of confidence but i'm glad he's executing the basics well.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Thank god we didn't sign that Herrera guy we were so linked with. He was utterly woeful, despite Costa Rica barely bothering with him when he was near the centre circle.

Hernandez looks absolutely exhausted - I think he might be struggling a little bit as he never gets 90 minutes and we bulked him up a fair amount. Is he supposed to be playing in the confed cup?

MUFC07

We're playing shit, really, I don't know why we keep playing 4-4-2 and not changing it even when it's obvious that Costa Rica, for example today, had an extra man in midfield and we were helpless, especially Chicharito, ho was feeding on scraps.

We haven't scored at the Azteca for 3 games in a row...

Platato

Psst!
What would you say is the issue at the moment MUFC07? The fans are seemingly turning on your manager?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Fact: Real Madrid is interested in Chicharito. They are making a bid for Bale.
Fact: United are interested in Ronaldo. Ronaldo is not happy and has not renewed his contract yet.

Most probable conclusion: Buy Ronaldo for a discount with Chicharito as sweetner.

Too bad, he is one of the players I really want to grow & shine here.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Fact: Real Madrid is interested in Chicharito. They are making a bid for Bale.
Fact: United are interested in Ronaldo. Ronaldo is not happy and has not renewed his contract yet.

Most probable conclusion: Buy Ronaldo for a discount with Chicharito as sweetner.

Too bad, he is one of the players I really want to grow & shine here.
Of all the possible conclusions us buying Ronaldo and sending Hernandez is the other way is the "most probable"? :lol:

Ronaldo will stay at Madrid.
Hernandez will stay at United.

That's the most probable.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Hernandez with another goal for Mexico, albeit from the penalty spot. His goal-scoring record is immense for the national team.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Hernandez must be immensely frustrated playing for this Mexico. He's been totally underused against Italy so far. It took Chicharito's teammates half an hour to put a drilled cross into the box across the face of the goal tonight, the kind of cross Chico thrives on. There's pretty much no service coming into the box and, to me, it seems Guardado and Dos Santos are trying their hardest not to play him in. I dunno if there are issues in the camp between Chico and the rest but there's been virtually no attempt to get wide and whip the ball in or find his runs with the through balls. Shame that too because if Mexico are going to do well against Italy (or anyone in the Confederations Cup for that matter) they'll need get Chicharito in a position to score more often.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
13 away from all time leading goalscorer for Mexico, and he's 25...

All the best to the lad, he lives and loves football as much as anyone I've seen do so, he loves this club and we got him for £7 mil. There is literally nothing you can dislike about the guy, apart from the fact we don't play him more often.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
="Jonno, post: 13628120, member: 49655"]I really do think this guy is truly world class! We need him starting more next season. I think he could be as sucessful as Van Nistelrooy should he play enough, rather than him being likened to Solskjaer. This next 6-7 years in his career could be phenomenal should he get the chance.

Argh, dont start the polarizing again.

A post a few above says hes 'not good enough to start for a top team' then this one says hes 'world class.'

Hes obviously not world class but hes also obviously a starter for a top team. I would take him at Chelsea in a heartbeat, so if you dont want him, wing him over here for double what you paid!

MUFC07

Hernandez must be immensely frustrated playing for this Mexico. He's been totally underused against Italy so far. It took Chicharito's teammates half an hour to put a drilled cross into the box across the face of the goal tonight, the kind of cross Chico thrives on. There's pretty much no service coming into the box and, to me, it seems Guardado and Dos Santos are trying their hardest not to play him in. I dunno if there are issues in the camp between Chico and the rest but there's been virtually no attempt to get wide and whip the ball in or find his runs with the through balls. Shame that too because if Mexico are going to do well against Italy (or anyone in the Confederations Cup for that matter) they'll need get Chicharito in a position to score more often.

I totally agree with you. Giovani hasn't really played for us until now, bar one or two games coming from the bench only to play pretty badly. Guardado hasn't even placed a good cross in ages and Chicharito's best feed has come from Salcido. Aquino and Barrera are hopeless on the right, but when they do get the baill into the box we look dangerous but, unfortunately, it hasn't been the case much.

Another thing, in the qualifiers we played with 2 up front, Chicha and De Nigris, who is pretty much a strong, tall good header and finisher. Thing is, Chicharito has to drop too deep to see the ball, and since our transitions are too slow, he doesn't have that many options when he gets the ball in the middle of the pitch, so it's pretty frustrating both for him and the rest of us Mexicans. I can't understand why we haven't exploited his qualities more, and that's why we have been shit in the qualifiers. And still, we scored 2 against Honduras, 2 against Nigeria and 1 against Jamaica (now 1 against Italy). All of them were Chicharito's except for the one against Jamaica.

Shark

@NotShark
Argh, dont start the polarizing again.

A post a few above says hes 'not good enough to start for a top team' then this one says hes 'world class.'

Hes obviously not world class but hes also obviously a starter for a top team. I would take him at Chelsea in a heartbeat, so if you dont want him, wing him over here for double what you paid!

He's not a world class player(yet), but I think that he does have world class attributes. His movement and ability to score from the smallest of chances is top class.

Platato

Psst!
I totally agree with you. Giovani hasn't really played for us until now, bar one or two games coming from the bench only to play pretty badly. Guardado hasn't even placed a good cross in ages and Chicharito's best feed has come from Salcido. Aquino and Barrera are hopeless on the right, but when they do get the baill into the box we look dangerous but, unfortunately, it hasn't been the case much.

Another thing, in the qualifiers we played with 2 up front, Chicha and De Nigris, who is pretty much a strong, tall good header and finisher. Thing is, Chicharito has to drop too deep to see the ball, and since our transitions are too slow, he doesn't have that many options when he gets the ball in the middle of the pitch, so it's pretty frustrating both for him and the rest of us Mexicans. I can't understand why we haven't exploited his qualities more, and that's why we have been shit in the qualifiers. And still, we scored 2 against Honduras, 2 against Nigeria and 1 against Jamaica (now 1 against Italy). All of them were Chicharito's except for the one against Jamaica.
I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm curious if some Mexicans think Chicharito is holding the team back. Although it seems de la torre is taking most of the flak. Are you lot missing a key player or something? I do not understand this poor run of form.

MUFC07

I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm curious if some Mexicans think Chicharito is holding the team back. Although it seems de la torre is taking most of the flak. Are you lot missing a key player or something? I do not understand this poor run of form.

No, I don't think he is. We have no centre-midfield whatsoever. Zavala is a lazy, careless, unproductive feck, Torrado is old and not good on the ball, Herrera is great as box to box but he doesn't play, and when he does, we have a two man midfield with Herrera doing all the work and Zavala not caring. Our RBs aren't good enough right now and our RW, be it Aquino or Barrera, as I said, look hopeless and can't beat a man. Guardado is playing diva because he plays for Valencia but can't even put in a decent cross or a good pass when he cuts to the middle. Our only hope is Chicharito, but De la Torre plays him with another (but physically stronger) poacher, and our whole game depends on how well he does OUTSIDE the box, which is idiotic, for he does his best work inside the box; outside the box he can help, but he isn't the type of forward you give the ball to in the way we use Rooney or RvP.

We are missing two things: a leader and a key player. The first one was supposed to be Torrado... the second one Dos Santos. None of them have been that. I hope we get Vela back soon, he could be a real difference, he can be our key player and we could actually have someone able of droping deep and manage the ball in a different way and have Chicharito up front, close to the box. We are also missing a quality centre-midfield who can dictate the game. And for feck's sake, stop paying 4-4-2...

Actually, our only hope is Chicharito.

How people see it here? People know feck all. When he scores he is better than Hugo Sánchez, when he misses a chance, he is our worst ever player and cannot play outside the box and he is just lucky. Some people here seem to be jealous of his success or something, can't seem to appreciate how great he is as both person and player.

Brightonian

We are also missing a quality centre-midfield who can dictate the game.
What do you reckon Jonathan dos Santos' chances of filling that role are? I've seen him a fair bit for Barca and he's looked good at times and error-prone at others. Certainly doesn't lack the confidence to try and dictate play from deep, though, which sounds like something Mexico needs at the moment.

MUFC07

What do you reckon Jonathan dos Santos' chances of filling that role are? I've seen him a fair bit for Barca and he's looked good at times and error-prone at others. Certainly doesn't lack the confidence to try and dictate play from deep, though, which sounds like something Mexico needs at the moment.

We've only got two players currently capable of doing it. One is Jonathan Dos Santos and the other David Cabrera. Dos Santos can't get a game for Barcelona, which is mainly why he isn't playing for us, but he'd be an improvement on what we have... in theory, but since he hasn't got a run of games he lacks that competitive rythm and he is not being selected. He looks good and confident, I like his potential. He does look error-prone, but I'd rather we take that risk than keep playing our cantre-midfield pair at the moment. Cabrera is the other one, but he had a bad injury prior to the olympics and hasn't regained his level. If he does in time, he could be a good weapon for next year.

Platato

Psst!
Cheers MUFC07. A thorough perspective. What's your opinion on your manager and why hasn't Vela been selected?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I've seen the last 4 Mexico NT matches, and it really is remarkable that Hernandez scores at all. For whatever reason, the midfield create virtually nothing. Aquino clearly has some pace and trickery on the right, but I literally can't remember him sending in a good cross in his time out wide. Garrido on the other side looks great until it's time for the final ball, when he's woeful. When Dos Santos plays Mexico look more dangerous, but he's not a good foil for Hernandez - doesn't look to pass much and if we're honest, Chicharito isn't a 'one-two' type of player.

The lack of creativity and the poor quality of final ball mean Hernandez is sadly a bit useless. He tries hard, and often drops deep - all the way to the centre circle - to get things ticking over. But while he has improved a lot outside the box in his time with us, it was from such a low base that he's still arguably not international quality. He's at his best when teams are creating things, leveraging his movement and sheer tenacity.

Still, he does work hard and get into good positions, but just looks deflated most of the time as the ball never gets near him.

I'm still not convinced his skillset lends itself to be playing for 90 minutes. It's so crucial to his game that he has the energy to burst into space, and tbh by the 70th minute in all of these 4 matches he's looked gassed. And a non-sharp Chicharito is a pretty terrible footballer :(

MUFC07

Cheers MUFC07. A thorough perspective. What's your opinion on your manager and why hasn't Vela been selected?

Vela has had trouble with the Mexican FA in the past and they don't appear to have gone. He didn't want to come all the way from Spain anymore because he said he didn't play much and it was a long trip which also affected his level of performance with Real Sociedad. He's been awesome for them, and has rejected all his selections to the national team in recent months. According to some people, he will be back in September, but I don't know what that will say about De la Torre, selecting him as some sort of messiah to save our horrible qualifiers.

I think De la Torre is too stubborn. He had a good couple of years in charge and we played good football, with a 4-2-3-1 that exploited most players' qualities, but he has now, somehow, reverted to 4-4-2 and the thing about the midfield I was mentioning is paying its price, along with the bad form of our wingers. We don't have any width and we don't get the ball to the box, it's awful, we can't even beat our CONCACAF rivals at the Azteca, FFS, haven't scored for 3 consecutive games at home and we defend like spastics, but Corona has saved our asses.

There's no clear idea of what to do with the ball, no coordination, no desire, nothing. I had a good opinion of De la Torre but it's quickly changing. I mean, here in Mexico the National team is sold as if we were speaking about Italy, Argentina or France, which is of course not true, but we should be able to get to the World Cup without trouble, especially with 3 and a half places out of six of US, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panamá, Jamaina and ourselves. His stubborness is killing us.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
After watching the season review, he really is a lethal little finisher isn't he?

Platato

Psst!
Hm that is worrying. If it continues like this in the Confederations Cup and Mexico's form doesn't improve, I don't think De la Torre will have a job for very long.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Has scored twice against Japan so far. His international record is quite ridiculous.

SER19

30 goal plus a season if we used him regularly. absolutely brilliant player

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
35 in 53 for Mexico now I think.

Isn't it 37? Says on Wiki he was on 35 before today. If that's right it means he'll be on 40 goals and the second top scorer for Mexico by the time he's 26...and he only started playing for them at 21.

LR7

Isn't it 37? Says on Wiki he was on 35 before today. If that's right it means he'll be on 40 goals and the second top scorer for Mexico by the time he's 26...and he only started playing for them at 21.
this is from wiki. It's correct for now I think. He's still only 12 off the record. The others on 35 goals I think it took them 80+ games?

Top 10 goalscorers[edit]

Players in bold text are still active with Mexico.
#PlayerPeriodGoals
1 Jared Borgetti 1997–2008 46
2 Cuauhtémoc Blanco 1995–2010 39
3 Carlos Hermosillo 1984–1997 35
Luis Hernández 1995–2002 35
Javier Hernández 2009– 35
6 Enrique Borja 1966–1975 31
7 Luis Roberto Alves 1988–2001 30
8 Luis Flores 1983–1993 29
Luis García 1991–1999 29
Hugo Sánchez 1977–1998 29

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He's a goalscoring machine. £6m for this guy? One of Ferguson's greatest ever buys. Probably top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.