Jeremie Frimpong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Koeman doesnt like him. Not even in the provisional squad... Daley Blind is.

Good enough for the Bundesliga team of the year but not good enough for the provisional squad.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...eason-2022-23-vote-fifa-ea-sports-fut23-23319
I guess Koeman likes Geertruida and Dumfries better in the position. But Koeman's reason for excluding Frimpong (as quoted by @Gupz above) really is bullshit, cause certainly those two aren't better defensively than Frimpong...?

Dazzmondo

Is Antony really a benchmark? He's an attacker for a start, they have higher valuations in general, and it is also widely acknowledged that we significantly overpaid to get ETH's target. So if we're comparing everything to that it's always going to look reasonable.

50 million euros for a Bundesliga right back is quite lot. Hard to spin it otherwise. Seems like a lot of our budget.
€50m is closer to £40m. Can't think of any decent players we got for under £40m. Even comparing to all ETH's other signings, only Malacia was purchased for under that, not including Weghorst and Sabitzer's loans. What would you expect to pay for the best rb in the Bundesliga? Yet again Sancho cost us almost double this. If we were signing a rb from Ligue 1 you might have a point but Frimpong is already one of the better rbs in world football imo. He's also only 22 which needs to be factored in too.

bosskeano

kid is stupid quick and really good in the wide area 1v1......consistency with his end product seems to be the issue

the Caf would have a fuking field day with this lad

Abraxas

€50m is closer to £40m. Can't think of any decent players we got for under £40m. Even comparing to all ETH's other signings, only Malacia was purchased for under that, not including Weghorst and Sabitzer's loans. What would you expect to pay for the best rb in the Bundesliga? Yet again Sancho cost us almost double this. If we were signing a rb from Ligue 1 you might have a point but Frimpong is already one of the better rbs in world football imo. He's also only 22 which needs to be factored in too.
He's not one of the better RBs in football until he does it for a top club in a stronger league. How many times are we going to make the mistake of believing that these are already ready made players from the Bundesliga with this kind of profile. They're not, not until they prove it. He's not proven at club or international level within the context of a club like us. He's a good talent and that's about it so far.

Dazzmondo

He's not one of the better RBs in football until he does it for a top club in a stronger league. How many times are we going to make the mistake of believing that these are already ready made players from the Bundesliga with this kind of profile. They're not, not until they prove it. He's not proven at club or international level within the context of a club like us. He's a good talent and that's about it so far.
It's not a position with that many standouts. The Bundesliga is still one of the strongest leagues in the world. A lad just came from there and absolutely smashed the PL goal scoring record (more goals than he ever scored in Bundesliga) so the best players can still succeed. KDB another example of that.

How many top rbs can you name that are better than him? I can think of a few but most are older or already at top clubs who wouldn't sell. Your point about him needing to go to a top club to prove it doesn't make any sense because we're not going to be able to get players from top clubs who have no need to sell. There are very few attacking rbs at his level imo.

Bojan Djordjic

One of the worst positions in world football in terms of a complete paucity of quality available options. He's obviously a very exciting prospect but he doesn't seem to be very good in build up phases which would be a huge concern given how bad we are. €40mn seems a lot for someone with such glaring weaknesses (passing and defending).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So Malacia, Martinez, Antony, and now Frimpong (and probably Timber, too).

Does EtH have height complex?

skc_18

So Malacia, Martinez, Antony, and now Frimpong (and probably Timber, too).

Does EtH have height complex?
Yeah sometimes you wonder whether Eth is unaware of it.
If Martinez , Malacia start along with Shaw as CB we will have tough time defending the corners. AWB is not very tall too. De gea is tall but useless in jumping.

However, its not like we were dominant when we had 6' 4" players(Matic,MCT, Maguire,Pogba,De Gea). We still struggled in both end of the box :)

skc_18

We can sign Rabiot for free and hope it helps us to sign a keeper, striker, and new RB.

GK
RB
- Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Eriksen/Rabiot
Antony - Bruno - Rashford
ST
Yeah, I don't think RB will be in priority list unless we get a good offer for Dalot, in which case I see signing a full-back.
Otherwise, I think Striker, CB,CM will be Eth priorities.

gajender

Yeah, I don't think RB will be in priority list unless we get a good offer for Dalot, in which case I see signing a full-back.
Wan Bissaka sale would decide whether we move for big money RB or not .

skc_18

Wan Bissaka sale would decide whether we move for big money RB or not .
I think we might sell Dalot before AWB. Awb is bad in attack but very good in defense and also covers english quota.
Dalot is decent in attack and defense but not extra-ordinary in either. Makes sense to sell Dalot and buy an attacking RB.

OleGunnar20

I think we might sell Dalot before AWB. Awb is bad in attack but very good in defense and also covers english quota.
Dalot is decent in attack and defense but not extra-ordinary in either. Makes sense to sell Dalot and buy an attacking RB.
I think Dalot only has a year on his contract too. I'd personally rather sell AWB and keep Dalot if hes willing to extend. Thats unless ETH thinks AWB can step his attacking game up another level. He's done so much better than expected this year but still hampers us going forward massively.

We definitely need a better attacker there but I wouldn't put it in the top 3 priorities for the next window.

gajender

AWB is the one who could bring decent transfer money considering his contract length and all the noise has been AWB is up for sale despite his uptick in form .

gajender

I think Dalot only has a year on his contract too. I'd personally rather sell AWB and keep Dalot if hes willing to extend. Thats unless ETH thinks AWB can step his attacking game up another level. He's done so much better than expected this year but still hampers us going forward massively.

We definitely need a better attacker there but I wouldn't put it in the top 3 priorities for the next window.
Agreed With all of this and just to add United bought Wan Bissaka as starter , while Dalot as promising youngster with hardly any senior experience so their initial contracts would reflect that .

Dalot would be cheaper to extend as well and his wages wont be a Issue as back up either not to mention he is much suitable for the team which intends to play on front foot .

Lost bear

AWB is the one who could bring decent transfer money considering his contract length and all the noise has been AWB is up for sale despite his uptick in form .
It has been a massive uplift in form though, don't you feel? I'd vote to keep him. In my opinion he's been really good this year.

gajender

It has been a massive uplift in form though, don't you feel? I'd vote to keep him. In my opinion he's been really good this year.
It's still sell for me we effectively have this summer to get decent fee for him despite his improvements I can't see him as long term starter and considering he was bought on as starter so for any further extention he would expect decent increase it's simply financially imprudent .

We need to be smarter and ruthless while assessing what needs to be done to get back to being Top team again .

ForeverRed1

it’s clear he is a player ETH is a massive fan of and feels he can work with him. Heh

croadyman

Yeah I would put all those above RB,however bit worrying that GK is not on that list as well

OleGunnar20

Agreed With all of this and just to add United bought Wan Bissaka as starter , while Dalot as promising youngster with hardly any senior experience so their initial contracts would reflect that .

Dalot would be cheaper to extend as well and his wages wont be a Issue as back up either not to mention he is much suitable for the team which intends to play on front foot .
I also wonder if Laird fits into this at all? He looked so good at youth level but hasn't really stepped up. Perhaps sell with a buyback?
It has been a huge uplift for sure. For me the fact that despite this he still holds us back going forward so clearly makes me side with Dalot, but it's a tough call. I think he'd be a brilliant RB for any mid-table team.

Xaviboy

Anyone think if we are bringing him in he be used as Right Winger in games Antony doesn't play in.

We will keep AWB and Dalot.

Just a thought.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Doubt Ten Hag sells AWB. He is starting him nearly every game. He is better in every single way to Dalot even technical ability like dribbling & passing. Defensively AWB has improved heading ability, awareness, concentration and positioning.

He has about 1 odd game every 10 games compared to Dalot who has looked off every time he has started at RB post WC but better at LB.

Getting a Frimpong type dynamic attacking RB will suit AWB - because both are like opposite versions of each other and used depending on what utility is needed.

Using Frimpong against Mitoma in the PL or Mbappe in the CL will lead to more problems than needed. Likewise using an AWB against a Southampton maybe shooting ourselves in the foot a bit more than necessary.

Syphon Wallet

Anyone think if we are bringing him in he be used as Right Winger in games Antony doesn't play in.

Just a thought.
Certainly feel he will play in the games we are expected to win, but currently struggle because we have no creativity once the counter option has been reduced.

UpWithRivers

Doubt Ten Hag sells AWB. He is starting him nearly every game. He is better in every single way to Dalot even technical ability like dribbling & passing. Defensively AWB has improved heading ability, awareness, concentration and positioning.

He has about 1 odd game every 10 games compared to Dalot who has looked off every time he has started at RB post WC but better at LB.

Getting a Frimpong type dynamic attacking RB will suit AWB - because both are like opposite versions of each other and used depending on what utility is needed.

Using Frimpong against Mitoma in the PL or Mbappe in the CL will lead to more problems than needed.
Exactly. Just go see what Mitoma did to Ben White who is actually good defensively. One of the main reasons we got to the cup final is that WB managed to negate Mitoma. There is no RB better in the world to shut down a winger.

StiffTackle

Just a thought.
I agree with the posters suggesting we keep AWB over Dalot. Neither of them have the required output level for a modern full back and we wont see the best of Antony/Sancho/Amad on the RW until they have a proper attacking RB overlapping/underlapping to create space for them. AWB provides a far better tactical option off the bench in terms of shutting down the opposition winger. As long as any new RB isnt injury prone it makes sense to have a diverse option there for occasional appearances.

However, if there is a scenario where we keep both and buy Frimpong I think it will be selling Maguire and buying KMJ, selling Lindelof and then using Shaw as starting LB and 4th choice CB, then Dalot can cover both LB and RB.

Not sure it will happen though, I think RB is a position where we have to sell to buy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Just a thought.
Nah. If we sign Frimpong it will be to play in his actual position as a RB, with one of Dalot/AWB leaving.

We badly need an attacking RB, we've been linked with attacking RBs since last summer, if we finally sign an attacking RB he'll be used at RB.

croadyman

Nah. If we sign Frimpong it will be to play in his actual position as a RB, with one of Dalot/AWB leaving.

We badly need an attacking RB, we've been linked with attacking RBs since last summer, if we finally sign an attacking RB he'll be used at RB.
Where would you put this on our transfer priority list just out of interest

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@Adnan just wrote an excellent post in the Ten Hag thread, that goes into why a fullback that can 'invert in-field and play in midfield' is crucial to enabling the midfield part of the build-up/attacking style Ten Hag will want to implement - see the bolded bits below. In that sense, getting the right RB signing might be a higher priority than people think: it's not just about adding an attacking thread on the right that better complements Antony's particular style/skillset.

I suppose this doesn't necessarily change the priority list (CF ahead of GK/CM ahead of RB), but I'm thinking it might rank the RB priority a lot closer to the others than people seem to think. That might mean, for example, that it's more important to Ten Hag to sign exactly the right RB if he's available now than to sign a CM or GK stopgap that still doesn't really offer what Ten Hag needs.

I don't know if that 'exactly the right RB' is Frimpong, mind. Could he play this midfield role, or is he 'just' the type that flies up and down the field along the touchline? (@Zehner, @ForEverEleven? I would think Dumfries is primarily like that and hence not really what Ten Hag would need.) I'm just trying to provide some further tactical context.
I think the midfield is definitely a area that needs upgrading. We need to raise the level in central midfield and Erik ten Hag even tried to bring in Frenkie de Jong by prioritizing his signature last summer. And I still believe he's still looking for the connector (as he described it) in midfield to be the conduit who can knit it all together. But there isn't anyone obvious that jumps out at me as a Frenkie de Jong alternative, so I think it's possible that we may target a deep roaming playmaker instead who can occupy one of the deeper midfield roles in the build up phase (4-2-4 shape) and then in possession going through thirds we attack in a 3-2-5 with the one of the fullbacks inverting in-field to play alongside Casemiro to maintain structure. Both fullbacks need to have the capability on the ball to come in field and play alongside Casemiro in a two, whilst the other fullback shuffles across and takes up his role as one of the three CBs in a 325 formation in possession. I can't stress enough how important it is to have fullbacks who can invert in-field and play in midfield to provide a strong foundation for the front 5. If your fullback is weak in that regard, then it makes things more difficult and compromises have to be made.

The teams who dominate the ball and control games are those teams who have implemented the above methods by having the correct profile of players who help them exert control in possession. That allows players like De Bruyne/Gundogan (City), Mac Allister (Brighton), Odegaard (Arsenal) and Kokcu (Feyenoord) to thrive due to how the system facilitates or prioritizes a proactive attacking approach. Feyenoord is a dominant team in possession and they've recently just won the league under their excellent head coach Arne Slot. And his system is one where he utilises Orkun Kokcu to be the creative hub of the team in all phases of play by facilitating for him by inverting the fullback to form a two in midfield where Geertruida (the RB) was taking up a midfield spot next to Wieffer (DM) in the game against Roma whilst Kokcu and Szymanski (attacking mid) pushed high with the wide forwards hugging the touchline to leave the two attacking mids to occupy the half spaces. Kokcu is a player who I feel we could potentially take a chance on and the total package for him would be very reasonable.

Brighton are a team in the EPL who are amongst the best teams at dominating the game in possession. And if you look at their first phase players (GK, CBs, deeper mids, fullbacks), you wouldn't think they would be as dominant as they're. But they have players who are comfortable in different roles where midfielders can occupy inverted fullback roles, which gives them control in possession with a goalkeeper who initiates the attack. We've been left way behind due to the managers we hired and now we have a head coach with a idea that needs to be supported. Because his idea correlates with the modern day reality of the EPL.

We obviously need a striker but I hope we can somehow bring in a GK, RB and CM aswell. Fullbacks must have the capability to invert in field and occupy a midfield berth.

bosskeano

Don't they still need to do defending and contesting for high-ball?
so now we should be looking for the Dan Burns of the world at outside back??? cmon man

we want guys who can defend the width and be productive going forward with the ball....most wingers aren't tall either so if we have to contest wth the high ball on set pieces, let the CB's do their job or the CM's

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
so now we should be looking for the Dan Burns of the world at outside back??? cmon man

we want guys who can defend the width and be productive going forward with the ball....most wingers aren't tall either so if we have to contest wth the high ball on set pieces, let the CB's do their job or the CM's
It doesn't have to be extreme on two ends.

Anyway, It was just observation that ten Harg is targeting relatively shorter players. It probably doesn't matter.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It doesn't have to be extreme on two ends.

Anyway, It was just observation that ten Harg is targeting relatively shorter players. It probably doesn't matter.
Having both height and the full technical/stylistic ability is obviously ideal, but if it has to be one or the other, I would think the latter would help more than the former over the course of a season - even if you have to make the exact same decision across the entire squad and end up with a full group of small guys. So as long as a player is truly a good fit in terms of ability and style, I wouldn't worry about height.

Plus heading is anyway not only a function of height. I mean, in United's current squad, who would you trust more to get a positive result out of a high ball: Martínez or Weghorst?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Having both height and the full technical/stylistic ability is obviously ideal, but if it has to be one or the other, I would think the latter would help more than the former over the course of a season - even if you have to make the exact same decision across the entire squad and end up with a full group of small guys. So as long as a player is truly a good fit in terms of ability and style, I wouldn't worry about height.

Plus heading is anyway not only a function of height. I mean, in United's current squad, who would you trust more to get a positive result out of a high ball: Martínez or Weghorst?
City, despite full of highly technical players, seems like they don't suffer of height issue. Because like you said, it's an advantage to have both, and I'd like us to have that advantage also. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Again, you're comparing the two extreme end with Martinez and Weghorst.

Anyway, it probably doesn't matter with Frimpong as fullback.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
City, despite full of highly technical players, seems like they don't suffer of height issue. Because like you said, it's an advantage to have both, and I'd like us to have that advantage also. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Again, you're comparing the two extreme end with Martinez and Weghorst.
Yeah of course, I agree with all that. It's just that, United urgently need to revamp large parts of their squad, and won't be able to get the ideal person in all positions. In that case, for United, I think right now it would be preferable to get in more players, including ons that are a good stylistic fit but may be small, than waiting for players that tick all possible boxes. But if you can get both - absolutely, why not!

For the extreme end part though, it is relevant for defenders that they don't necessarily need to be tall to be able to deal well with high balls.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah of course, I agree with all that. It's just that, United urgently need to revamp large parts of their squad, and won't be able to get the ideal person in all positions. In that case, for United, I think right now it would be preferable to get in more players, including ons that are a good stylistic fit but may be small, than waiting for players that tick all possible boxes. But if you can get both - absolutely, why not!

For the extreme end part though, it is relevant for defenders that they don't necessarily need to be tall to be able to deal well with high balls.
Yeah. It probably doesn't matter. It's just two dominating PL teams in the last 3 decades (us and City) don't have height issue. The ones popping up here and there, like Wenger's Arsenal, Mou's Chelsea, and Klopp's Liverpool don't have that issue also.

So it's something to think about.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Adnan just wrote an excellent post in the Ten Hag thread, that goes into why a fullback that can 'invert in-field and play in midfield' is crucial to enabling the midfield part of the build-up/attacking style Ten Hag will want to implement - see the bolded bits below. In that sense, getting the right RB signing might be a higher priority than people think: it's not just about adding an attacking thread on the right that better complements Antony's particular style/skillset.

I suppose this doesn't necessarily change the priority list (CF ahead of GK/CM ahead of RB), but I'm thinking it might rank the RB priority a lot closer to the others than people seem to think. That might mean, for example, that it's more important to Ten Hag to sign exactly the right RB if he's available now than to sign a CM or GK stopgap that still doesn't really offer what Ten Hag needs.

I don't know if that 'exactly the right RB' is Frimpong, mind. Could he play this midfield role, or is he 'just' the type that flies up and down the field along the touchline? (@Zehner, @ForEverEleven? I would think Dumfries is primarily like that and hence not really what Ten Hag would need.) I'm just trying to provide some further tactical context.
Frimpong is playing like a RW for Leverkusen, he either isn't asked to or capable of progressing the ball in or through deeper, let alone central, positions.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Where would you put this on our transfer priority list just out of interest
In terms of sigmings for our starting eleven I'd probably go CF > CM > GK > RB. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is a bigger priority for ETH than GK.

bosskeano

City play 3 CB's now so that helps....and realistically you are talking about set pieces and defending which to me is more a mentality thing that a height thing. i mean hell...AWB has size and he's shit dealing with crosses.

there are ways for smaller players to defend bigger and defend bigger guys...again for me it's about mentality and size of the fight in the player

bosskeano

In terms of sigmings for our starting eleven I'd probably go CF > CM > GK > RB. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is a bigger priority for ETH than GK.
i agree with this on both parts....i think priority is CF and CM. however i think EtH would prioritize a field player over making a change with DeGea

Status
Not open for further replies.