Jeremie Frimpong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

@Raees on his "Pythagoras in boots" youtube channel covered antony before we signed him. The biggest takeaway for me at the time was that he really needs a very attacking fullback behind him to provide overlaps and open up space for antony to come inside. So when we did sign antony, i wasnt expecting to see him at his best with either dalot or awb behind him.

Put frimpong/cancelo/hakimi behind him and he will probably shine.

Not too dissimilar to sancho at dortmund, where hakimi really helped him shine. Its poor recruitment and squad planning from Utd buying wide playmakers like sancho and anthony without having the fullbacks to help them shine.
I've said this about both Antony and Sancho.

They both need a fullback who goes round the outside to open the options and let them operate slightly in field. None of the fullbacks are really that good at it, they all tend to move inwards rather than down the outside. Maybe this is instruction as we see AWB doing it more now, but it doesn't help the guys on the wing when the space they like to operate in is getting cut off by the fullbacks.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Not once in that video did he whip in a flighted ball for a headed opportunity, is that a weakness of his?

mufc_sd

Hot take, sign Frimpong, cash in on Malacia keep both AWB and Dalot. Dalot is okay at LB we saw him this season and at Milan.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not once in that video did he whip in a flighted ball for a headed opportunity, is that a weakness of his?
I wouldnt say so, our main striker is basically injured all season (Schick) and we mostly play with a false 9 under Alonso so it doesnt make sense for us to play loads of high crosses with no one there.

Pronewbie

Peep
I'm excited for this one. I think he'll transform us way more than most expect. Rb is one of the biggest issues with our team imo despite AWB doing as well as he can. Having a proper threat on the overlap will give us way more options instead of just Antony cutting onto his left over and over again.
Yup it's obvious we need a RB who enjoys supporting Antony in attack. Antony's pretty decent in defence too so a pacey, attacking-minded RB would complement him well.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
@Raees on his "Pythagoras in boots" youtube channel covered antony before we signed him. The biggest takeaway for me at the time was that he really needs a very attacking fullback behind him to provide overlaps and open up space for antony to come inside. So when we did sign antony, i wasnt expecting to see him at his best with either dalot or awb behind him.

Put frimpong/cancelo/hakimi behind him and he will probably shine.

Not too dissimilar to sancho at dortmund, where hakimi really helped him shine. Its poor recruitment and squad planning from Utd buying wide playmakers like sancho and anthony without having the fullbacks to help them shine.
Or maybe they just aren't that good?

Saka has Been White behind him who isn't even a RB by trade and he's doing fine.

Sancho and Antony aren't anywhere near as good as our fans think they are or even thought they were. The excitement over both arrivals was quite something given what we've had back in return.

Abraxas

The more I think about this the more I see the logic to it.

It might be the perfect signing to work with Antony. We can say or think what we want about Antony, but the manager loves him. He always picks him and he was happy to overspend by a lot to get him. So in the near future he's ETH's man.

To work best with Antony you probably need someone very attacking and dynamic. Because Antony himself isn't really doing those things. It doesn't seem to be his strength to run at people, he never gets near the byline. This gives us a completely different threat. The opposition have to worry about that and track Antony coming inside.

Dazzmondo

Or maybe they just aren't that good?

Saka has Been White behind him who isn't even a RB by trade and he's doing fine.

Sancho and Antony aren't anywhere near as good as our fans think they are or even thought they were. The excitement over both arrivals was quite something given what we've had back in return.
Saka's obviously a better player than Sancho or Antony, an argument could be made that he's the best rw in the world right now, but he's also a very different player who can be dangerous both cutting in and going wide to cross the ball. Antony can't do anything on the outside, so when he's against good defenders who know what he's going to do it's hard for him to make much of an impact, especially when he doesn't have another option on the right who can cross. Sancho had performed well prior to signing and was genuinely considered one of the best in the Bundesliga. Maybe it's down to the poor defending in the Bundesliga, maybe it's down to Utd not having a shape that suits him as well, maybe it's down to him becoming lazy after being given a massively inflated wage that he has left him with no incentive to improve, or maybe it's all of them. For whatever reason Sancho for Utd has been pretty much useless and has shown no signs of improving. Regardless, Sancho even at his best was not as good as Saka is right now. The fact that Saka can continue to perform despite having a more withdrawn rb doesn't mean that having an attacking rb in a different system wouldn't help a much more predictable player in Antony to improve.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Arsenal are one of those teams who play a high defensive line and thus commit way more players to the attack than we do.

And it's not because they have a RB or LB bombing on to support their attackers but rather the whole system is setup so Arsenal could flood the opponent's half with 8 or 9 players hence they're amongst those teams who scored the most goals in the league.

Man Utd are among the worst teams at this and have one of the deepest defensive lines in the league. And when you have amongst the deepest defensive lines in the league, the attackers won't have as much support as players who play in teams who can play in a high defensive line. We can bring in a striker and we need one, but having 8 or 9 players consistently in the opponent's half (with and without the ball) will result in potentially a lot of goals hence City, Brighton, Arsenal and Liverpool have scores the most goals.

So United need to raise the level of technical ability in the first phase by upgrading on several players so they can start playing out of a press and raise the defensive line, so they can have a high volume of players in the opponent's half. And teams are able to do that by controlling the defensive transition with their high pressing strategy.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
I can only speak about his time at Celtic , but his crossing was a weakness of his. He has a curly toe when he tries to lift a ball.
But his cut backs and crosses along the ground are excellent and he has so much pace , agility, stamina and body feints to get past his defender time and time again. You will see him to the side of the 6 yard box cutting back so many time after he's either roasted his opposition dribbling or he's made a run in behind and a team mate has spotted him.

davidmichael

With the way AWB has played since February I’d say right back is behind a striker, a midfielder and a keeper in our priorities and also behind a centre back and Dalot gives a decent back up option.

FerociousCorgis

With the way AWB has played since February I’d say right back is behind a striker, a midfielder and a keeper in our priorities and also behind a centre back and Dalot gives a decent back up option.
idk AWB is such a weird player tbh. Watching him you think he has improved, but then he has switch off moments or just jogs around and lets people get easy crosses in at times. Then you feel like he is kinda getting forward, but then at same time nothing ever comes of it. He has his moments where he looks great, but then at end of match you look back and wonder what effect he had going forward with all the time and space he finds. Think he is part of the reason we struggle to consistently play out of the back, and if we have to sell him becuase his value is the higher and keep dalot, think that is smart thinking of the club to get someone like frimpong in. Easy to say keep AWB and sell dalot, but if AWB brings in twice the fee as dalot you gotta be smart about it. Feel like this is what we complain the club never does, sell when the value is decent and instead hold on too long.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You're grossly overrating AWB. He's been decent but hardly set the world on fire and should never be the nailed on starter at a top club

Irwin99

It'll be great to see a more attacking full back and will do our attacking play a world of good.

Hope he can defend well though, that's basically a midfielder/winger in those clips of his goals :nervous:

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
He’s improved from being a genuine liability going forward to just “below average” now, but it’s like people think he’s suddenly a nailed on starter
Exactly this. He's obviously a great 1v1 defender but he still looks shaky during set pieces and is just a body in attack. Can't (or at least never does) give a cross or a good pass, doesn't shoot, he's no threat at all. Could be a good option vs certain teams, but we need all the money we can get.

Dazzmondo

If AWB could cross or shoot then he'd be the greatest defender of all time.
He wouldn't. There are other parts of his defensive game that are also weaknesses. He's poor in the air and can get caught out of position quite often. His actual tackling is excellent but that's not the only thing a defender needs to be good at. He's also a liability for any team that relies on their full back for width. He's performed the best he's capable of, but that's not enough for our team. Should mean he gets a decent move though.

daba

He’s no Trent that’s for sure (not many are) but instead he offers something very different in his pace going forward, overlapping and cut backs.

With Shaw having the technical ability to whip balls in on the left, I like the idea of having a different weapon on the right.

mu4c_20le

Impressive numbers, but it's leverkusen, they are really good at squeezing the best out of some players before selling them at a premium. I expect he'll be like what Dalot was supposed to be, but I'm slightly worried that eth is once again targeting dutch players.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’m actually not sure if Frimpong is the right back that fits ETH profile. Although, Frimpong will compliment Antony but Frimpong is primary used in width area right? ETH uses his full back more on the half space area (although sometime we see interchange between Antony and our right back).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Reliable?
I don’t think so. So far, there hasn’t been a reliable source that says we are making Frimpong as our right back target this summer. Although there was some decent source link us with him in January but it seems it has died out after no one wants to buy Bissaka in January.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Definitely like his pace and attacking qualities down the right flank.

But if we were to sign him, who should we let go? Dalot or AWB?

aeh1991

The links are a bit contradictory to AWBs recent upgrade and Dalot's contract extension, but who knows. I'd personally sell Dalot rather than AWB if we bought Frimpong.

LuckyScout78

Maybe a swap deal with Dalot?

A factor in the deal. Is to offer Bayer Leverkusen to loan Kobbie Mainoo for a season.

Kobbie Mainoo needs playing regular, at a level that will develop him as a player.

Playing for Manchester United u21 or sitting on the bench for United first team is not good for his development.

Bayer Leverkusen is not as good as B Dortmund. So i think and believe Bayer Leverkusen is like Dortmund are clubs that give promising youngster more often playing times for the first team.

Bundesliga quick direct football will help Kobbie Mainoo i guess.

Frimpong was a ex Manchester City young promising player. Like young Sancho. Go to a really good teams and clubs that give them regular playing time to boost theirs confidence. It will help them.

Of Dalot and Bissaka i will keep Bissaka. Frimpong is best in the offensive = with the ball. So it make sense to keep the RB who is best in the defence.

OleGunnar20

Makes perfect sense, given our limited budget. Take another look next season while focusing on our problem spine this year.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
While in a general sense I understand not prioritising RB, coupled with the Mount signing it worries me slightly more.

Because if we're going to set up with Mount as an advanced #8 rather than a deeper lying one, that puts a lot more onus on your back four to contribute in possession. And the right side of our back four concerns me in that regard.

But hey, we'll see how we look when all the puzzle pieces are signed at the end of the transfer window. No need to pre-judge what the overall shape of the team will look like.

ArbeitervonWien

I would be OK with that. We've got bigger priorities, I guess.

And If one of Dalot and Wan-Bissaka can raise their level and do for the whole season, what they were able to do this season in their good patches, we might not have to think about singing a RB next summer as well. I think this a real possibility as they are both entering their prime and have progressed a fair bit under the new coaching staff.

mufc_sd

Interestingly, and perhaps explainable by the lack of recent news regarding a right-back, it seems that Erik ten Hag is prioritising a goalkeeper instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.